Problem installing SP2 for Exchange 2003 on front end server

We have Exchange 2003 sp1 Enterprise running on Windows 2003 sp1 Enterprise.
I'm trying install SP2 on the systems.  We have a front end server for OWA,
and two back end servers with the mailboxes.

I know you need to upgrade the front end servers first, but when I try to do
the SP2 install on the OWA server, I get the "Setup is loading
 installation." box, followed a few seconds later by "A fatal setup error
has occurred.  Look at c:\documents and settings.eventlog.txt for more
information.  Cancelling setup"

The eventlog.txt has a number of normal looking status messages, then ends
with:
[01/02/07,12:32:15] Setup.exe: in InternalRegisterSetupService()
[01/02/07,12:32:16] Microsoft Search: Initialize, Search version
'9.107.8320' installed.
[01/02/07,12:32:16] setup.exe: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : Run() :
RunLoadSetup(), an exception has occured.
[01/02/07,12:32:16] Setup.exe: IsRunningUnattended

I've done some searching, and have seen a few people that had similar
problems.  Here are the possible solutions I've found:

1)Registry keys for MSSeearch not there:  - Not the case for our system, the
keys are there.
2) Office installed on the server - It has never been on this server.
3) Installing account must have admin rights at the org.  - Ours is a domain
admin account, with full exchange rights (it's the account we used to
install Exchange)
4) Run the SP2 update with the "/forestprep" and/or "/domainprep"
witches.  - I haven't tried this, but don't know why it would make a
difference
5) Have the Schema master on the same server as the PDC emulator - Currently
they are not on the same server.  I can move the PDC emulator FSMO role to
the same server as the schema master, but haven't done it yet.  Again, I
don't know why this would make a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I will probably contact Microsoft,
but I'm hoping for some information without going through that process if I
can help it..

Mike

0
putspam (3)

I'd make sure all your Anti spam and anti virus and anything
(everything) else non Microsoft is stopped before installing SP2.

I would also like to suggest that you reformatted and rebuilt the
entire box. A Front End doesn't need Windows Enterprise or Exchange
Enterprise. Rebuild the box (it wouldn't take more than a couple of
hours) and reduce your licence count (if you're on a volume licence
programme you'll save money) or redeploy the Enterprise licenses to
something more deserving.
0
mark7219 (5666)
1/4/2007 8:11:11 AM
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, the OWA server is Windows 2003 Standard, not enterprise.  The
backend ones are enterprise.

We've discussed rebuilding the system, but the problem is that this is our
only OWA server, and we can't take it down for very long.  What we may do is
build a 2nd one, then when it's ready, take the production one down and
substitute the new one.

I'd still like to figure out what the cause is, though.

> I'd make sure all your Anti spam and anti virus and anything
> (everything) else non Microsoft is stopped before installing SP2.
>
> I would also like to suggest that you reformatted and rebuilt the
> entire box. A Front End doesn't need Windows Enterprise or Exchange
> Enterprise. Rebuild the box (it wouldn't take more than a couple of
> hours) and reduce your licence count (if you're on a volume licence
> programme you'll save money) or redeploy the Enterprise licenses to
> something more deserving.

0
putspam (3)
1/4/2007 12:03:44 PM
That's fine but you didn't mention in your reply about any 3rd party
stuff that was/is running on the box as a service.
0
mark7219 (5666)
1/4/2007 12:52:58 PM
I turned off the antivirus software (McAfee), and tried the setup, but it
didn't make any difference.   The only other services are the Veritas
NetBackup client (backups weren't running at that time).  Everything else on
that box is the standard Microsoft stuff.

I tried running the install on another Exchange server (we use it for
mailbox/database recovery), and the update started properly.  I cancelled it
on the first screen, since I need to do the front end ones first, but it did
make it past the point where it failed on the OWA server.

I checked the various MAPI dll files on both the OWA and the other exchange
server, and there are no differences that I found.  Are there any other
files I could check to see if there are differences?

> That's fine but you didn't mention in your reply about any 3rd party
> stuff that was/is running on the box as a service.

0
putspam (3)

Exchange for remote users/offices
Up to this point i've used SBS 2003 with POP3 (using Popbeamer)...the reason i chose this from the get go was because we have about 15 users here on site and about another 20 that are scattered across the globe. I didn't want to be in charge of mail for those that weren't here remotely, so figured just using the POP3 route was the way to go. Well, i'm preparing to move to SBS 2008 and REALLY want to set it up as a true Exchange server hosing the mail. But, again, am not sure i want to deal with the other 20 users if i don't have to. So, is there a way to set up ...

Problems with Public Folders replication
Hi guys, Some problems here. We have decided to install Exchange server 2003 SP1 on a new hardware with W2k3 SP1 on a new DC (yes, I know it is a bad practice, but...) instead of old Exchange server 2003 SP1 on an old DC on an old hardware. New one (additional) DC was brought live (with some minor problems, DNS, time, as always) without FSMO delegation (for now). Replication of users' accounts was smooth. Logs clear. After Exchange 2003 SP1 installation (with some DNS manipulations) also all was Ok. Dcdiag Ok. In ESM all Exchange servers are visible (old and new). So I have started ...

Standalone install of Office 98 Upgrade?

Exchange update problem

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

docmd.transfertext problem

SQL deadlock problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

How to restore entire server?

Outlook 2003

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup

Addressing within Exchange 2003

M2006 installation
I don't have an internet connection and I can't get past the Passport sign-in screen upon installation. Is there a way to install without an internet connection? Thank you. -- Mark M This install is from a CD? Somewhere on that screen or the previous one, in small type, is a cancel/skip/no I really don't want to use a Passport choice. I'd be more precise, but I can't test here. "Mark M" <MarkM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5DBDC16A-8EA8-473D-AC7F-E16B9DCE75D6@microsoft.com... > I don't have an internet connection and I can...

Exchange clusters
Hello Everyone, I am running two exchange2k3 server clusters on win2k3 servers. I am going to install service pack 2 for exchange2k3. Which cluster do I install it on first? The active cluster or the passive cluster? Thank you, Most appreciative, Do you mean you're running one cluster with two nodes? If you were to install on the active node, Exchange will shut down and the passive node will become the active node. So, it's clear that you should install first on the passive node, fail over, then install on the passive node (which was formerly the active node). -- Ed Crow...

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Border problems