Private Strore Size

Hi,
My users got the private store up to 14 gig, on standard edition, and I then
set the warnings up, and had the users create PST for all of the email that
they can not live without. Some of the email boxex were 1 to 1.5 gig in size.
 I had them move the email from their exchange  mailboxes to the PST, and
verified in system manager that sizes are down to a few hundred meg per
mailbox.  However, the size of the priv1.edb has not changed. I set the
retention policy to 0 days, which I will later increase back to a few weeks.
Do I need to compact the database?  I ran defrag on it and got a couple of
hundred megs decrease.  Based on what my users moved I think the database
should be down in the 8 to 10 gig area. Thanks for your help. - Wayne
0
Wayne (81)

The only way to reduce the size is by using eseutil and doing an offline
defrag.  This normally isn't something one does unless there has been a
significant reduction in the items in the store.  MS designed the database
so that it could grow, but not shrink (without offline defrag).

-GT
"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> My users got the private store up to 14 gig, on standard edition, and I
> then
> set the warnings up, and had the users create PST for all of the email
> that
> they can not live without. Some of the email boxex were 1 to 1.5 gig in
> size.
> I had them move the email from their exchange  mailboxes to the PST, and
> verified in system manager that sizes are down to a few hundred meg per
> mailbox.  However, the size of the priv1.edb has not changed. I set the
> retention policy to 0 days, which I will later increase back to a few
> weeks.
> Do I need to compact the database?  I ran defrag on it and got a couple of
> hundred megs decrease.  Based on what my users moved I think the database
> should be down in the 8 to 10 gig area. Thanks for your help. - Wayne

0
GT
11/13/2004 6:43:30 PM
Thanks for the info.  So...how do you track the size of the database?  What
happens when you get to the 16 gig? How would you recover from getting to
this point? If I go with the enterprise version how would I  bring it online?
Parallel and move mail boxes?
Thanks - Wayne

"GT" wrote:

> The only way to reduce the size is by using eseutil and doing an offline
> defrag.  This normally isn't something one does unless there has been a
> significant reduction in the items in the store.  MS designed the database
> so that it could grow, but not shrink (without offline defrag).
>
> -GT
> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > My users got the private store up to 14 gig, on standard edition, and I
> > then
> > set the warnings up, and had the users create PST for all of the email
> > that
> > they can not live without. Some of the email boxex were 1 to 1.5 gig in
> > size.
> > I had them move the email from their exchange  mailboxes to the PST, and
> > verified in system manager that sizes are down to a few hundred meg per
> > mailbox.  However, the size of the priv1.edb has not changed. I set the
> > retention policy to 0 days, which I will later increase back to a few
> > weeks.
> > Do I need to compact the database?  I ran defrag on it and got a couple of
> > hundred megs decrease.  Based on what my users moved I think the database
> > should be down in the 8 to 10 gig area. Thanks for your help. - Wayne

0
Wayne (81)
11/13/2004 11:11:02 PM
As far as I know, you should be able to install the Enterprise on top of the
Standard edition.

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

> Thanks for the info.  So...how do you track the size of the database?
> What
> happens when you get to the 16 gig? How would you recover from getting to
> this point? If I go with the enterprise version how would I  bring it
> online?
> Parallel and move mail boxes?
> Thanks - Wayne
>
> "GT" wrote:
>
>> The only way to reduce the size is by using eseutil and doing an offline
>> defrag.  This normally isn't something one does unless there has been a
>> significant reduction in the items in the store.  MS designed the
>> database
>> so that it could grow, but not shrink (without offline defrag).
>>
>> -GT
>> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > My users got the private store up to 14 gig, on standard edition, and I
>> > then
>> > set the warnings up, and had the users create PST for all of the email
>> > that
>> > they can not live without. Some of the email boxex were 1 to 1.5 gig in
>> > size.
>> > I had them move the email from their exchange  mailboxes to the PST,
>> > and
>> > verified in system manager that sizes are down to a few hundred meg per
>> > mailbox.  However, the size of the priv1.edb has not changed. I set the
>> > retention policy to 0 days, which I will later increase back to a few
>> > weeks.
>> > Do I need to compact the database?  I ran defrag on it and got a couple
>> > of
>> > hundred megs decrease.  Based on what my users moved I think the
>> > database
>> > should be down in the 8 to 10 gig area. Thanks for your help. - Wayne

0
rasilon1 (689)

Variable size form for changes between laptop screens
Hi, I have developed alot of forms in my databse to perfectly fit the screen when I open them as maximized. Now I have 2 users that are going to move to widescreen laptops. That pushes the form to the left and it leaves the screen looking really funny. Is there a way to detect the width of the users screen and then use code to resize the form to fill the screen appropriately? I can see that once I detect the width, I would have to use a move command on every field on the screen. Is there a quick way to do that instead of having to specify every field individually? Thanks, Beth You ...

File Size Limitations
Hi, Is there a size limitation for a Money file? I know Outlook has a 2gb max, but industry recommends not allowing a pst file to exceed 500mb. Is there a recommended size to keep your Money 2005 file under? Thank You, Greg My primary file is 80,000 kb; it works, but is slow -- especially when I access it over a slow wifi network. -- Michael Gordon MVP "Greg Salts" <GregSalts@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23oaGhkuEFHA.2876@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there a size limitation for a Money file? I know Outlook has a 2gb max, > but industry reco...

viewing sent email with a larger text size.
Is there a way to have outlook enlarge the text size of message sent. I know that we can increase the size of plain text messages, but I want to know if there is a way to increase other email formats for folks whose eyesight isn't what it used to be. Thanks, ...

Message size limits: internal vs. Internet
Is there a way to configure Exchange message size limits so that my users can send _larger_ messages to the Internet than they can to each other? (Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003. One server, not much complexity. Outlook 2003 for all clients.) We need to be able to exchange large (>10MB) files with our customers through SMTP. But I don't want my users emailing each other internal copies of those files; they should be storing the files on the SBS server and sending each other links instead of bloating up the Exchange store. I've looked at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtec...

Excel 2002: how to incr font size in option button text
In the Properties of the button, select the right pane of the Font line, dropdown the ... and select the font and size required. jdm1051 Wrote: > -- Bryan Hessey ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Bryan Hessey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21059 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395719 If it's an option button from the Forms toolbar, you can't change the font size. If it's an option button from the Control toolbox: On the Control toolbox, click ...

Problem with getting a size of CListCtrl control.
I've a code like follow: CRect rect; m_cList.GetClientRect(&rect); rect.NormalizeRect(); int nColInterval = rect.Width(); m_cList is object of CListCtrl class. It is control in dialog and it is about 100x100 points size but rect.Width() returns a large results (a few tousand points). What is wrong in above code? Maybe something wrong is with a control? Because when I call m_cList.InsertColumn(0, _T("Name"), LVCFMT_LEFT, nColWidth); and before nColWidth is set for 50 for example. Anything happened. I don't see any column with "Name" name on List control. Th...

Chart size changes with change in data
Hello, I have created a table to get a chart. The table copies data from a Pivot Table output. ( I understand that Pivot chart loses formating set once you change the Pivot criteria). So now, I'm able to get the format intact. However, whenever I change the Pivot's Page criteria then my chart automatically enlarges or reduces in size. The inner formating is okay and doesn't change. What would be the problem?? Please advise. nsd Under Format Chart, properties, select "don't move or size with cells" since, as you've seen, a PivotTable auto-adjusts it size...

Outlook 2003's picture sizing feature
I've noticed that when I'm composing an e-mail message containing a ..jpg attachment, that Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 gives me the option to size the pictures down (via the "Select picture size:" drop-down list. I was wondering whether this conversion functionality is accessible outside of Outlook (for example, so that I could use it from a batch file or from a wsh script). Does anyone know? Thank-you in advance. What operating system are you using? If Windows XP, try one of the Windows XP Powertoys - Image Resizer. Available on the Windows XP pages. --� Milly Stapl...

Custom page size
Hi How do I set a custom paper size in Excel 2002? Thanks Nick On my version/printer - go to File > Page setup, on the 'Page' tab click on the Options, on the following screen, click the 'Page setup' tab and at the bottom of the Page size list is a custom setting - click on that and it will allow you to input the size you want. Antony "Nick J Lock" <nick@regal5.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:078401c358ff$7d006af0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > How do I set a custom paper size in Excel 2002? > > Thanks > > Nick ...

default page size
Hi all, Is there a way to set the default page size to A4? Each time I create a new workbook, it defaults to Letter, which is not a paper size we use here... Any help would be great. Thanks, Dave ...

Charts made in excel 2003 won't print to the correct size in 2007?
I have charts created in excel 2003 that printed to seerate 11x17 sheets. I cannot figure out how to make them print to fit 11 x 17 in 2007. My charts are custom containing both columns and lines. How o I duplicate the 2003 command of having my chart fit the 11 x 17 page? -- dbutcher With a chart selected, go to the big round Office button in the top left, choose Print > Print Preview, then choose Page Setup from the ribbon that appears. On the Page tab of the dialog, choose the paper size you want. If the paper size isn't available, you might need to redefine your default prin...

How do you control the font size of the data validation field?
How do you change the font size of text in the data validation drop down box. The size of the data in the drop down box is effected by the zoom setting of the spreadsheet. So, if you have the spreadsheet at anything less than a 100% the size of the text in the field becomes smaller and at 50% nearly unreadable. Can you control the size of the font? Debra Dalgleish has a workaround: http://contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger jeffwamp wrote: > > How do you change the font size of text in the data validation drop down box. > The size of the data in the drop down box is eff...

Q: Sending and Receiving Msg Size
While we were on Exch 5.5 the company had someone hand-enter a Sending and Receiving Msg size for all users (2048 for both). We'd like to change it back to the default limit using a script (rather than hand-enter 1200 users again). We're using Exchange 2003 on Win2K3. I can't find a property/variable to change back to the default. It's easy enough to set a sending/rcvng limit programmatically by "putting" the values as follows: oUser.Put "delivContLength", someNumber oUser.Put "submissionContLength", someNumber oUser.SetInfo Using...

chart area size vba
How can I set the chart size of an existing active/selected chart? I tried this withing a sub routine: With ActiveChart.ChartArea .Width = 5 .Height = 3 End With And get the error message: Unable to Set the Width Property of the ChartArea Class Any help is appreciated. Hi, If the chart is on a worksheet this will work, although your chart will be very small. With ActiveChart.Parent .Width = 5 .Height = 3 End With Cheers Andy kaonashi@gmail.com wrote: > How can I set the chart size of an existing active/selected chart? > > I tried this withing a sub routi...

can't print page size bigger than 1x1.4m
Despite the layout & printer paper size being 41"x230". Running to a 42" HP5000 Try from your printer manufacturer a new printer driver. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Andy T" <Andy T@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56617CD4-8754-4D20-AA42-43597A7D56E0@microsoft.com... > Despite the layout & printer paper size being 41"x230". > Running to a 42" HP5000 Make a copy of your document and retry ( safe under another name). First delete half of the pictures and try again. If that works, then edit all the pictures again to ...

Changing the scrollbar/arrows size for Access listboxes.
I'm writing a touchscreen app and the listbox scrollbar is very hard to use for fat fingers. Does anyone know of a way to programatically make the scrollbar and arrows bigger? I don't want to change system- wide settings to achieve this sit it's just one screen I need this for. I know some MVP out there has this mastered but I couldn't find anything in the newsgroup. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks, James It's not possible on a per form/window/control basis. An alternative is to hide the Access ListBox's ScrollBar using an ActiveX ScrollBar control which ...

How to adjust Font Size
Hi! Is it possible to adjust font size for the whole reports at once that i need to print? Thanks! If you use Shift to multi-select all the fields of a graphic report and then press Ctrl-D to open the Drawing Options, you can change the fonts of all fields. David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within are my personal views and not necessari...

Huge size of the IIS log files in CRM 3.0
I noticed that, once in a while, the size of the daily CRM 3.0 file grows as much as 1Gb. The site is interal, so the chance of someone trying get to it is small. Any ideas why it may be happening? It is kind of hard to open a 1 Gb text file to view what is inside. Thanks! ...

Paper Size
When I open a new worksheet (Office xp), the paper size box (in Page Setup) is disabled. Any ideas?? "Macro_User" wrote > When I open a new worksheet (Office xp), the paper > size box (in Page Setup) is disabled. Any ideas?? Paper size, margins, etc are dependant on your printer. Do you have a printer installed? Jordon "Macro_user" wrote > Yes...there is a printer installed. Then.... sorry, I've got no suggestions. Jordon Does your printer support multiple paper sizes (I'm guessing yes or why would you be posting?) Is it enabled in other ap...

Over mailbox size limit messages
Do the notifications sent out by the System Administrator that tell you your mailbox has excedded one or more size limits show up in message tracking logs? I have a user that is receiving these messages although we don't have mailbox size limits and am trying to track this down... You have verified that his mailbox doesn't have such a setting? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "SilverICE" <SilverICE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B6ACA62-04D1-4968-9965-3CA7AC2BE9F6@microsoft.com... > D...

Exchange 2000 false mailbox size
Hello, I am using Exchange 2000, one of the users received a warning message that informed the user he has exceeded the mailbox storage size. However, the mailbox size is far below the limit. Does anyone has an idea why this is happening? Thank you Does this user have an individual mailbox size limit which is below the level set elsewhere - doesn't the user limits override others? =CE=9F/=CE=97 randomuser =CE=AD=CE=B3=CF=81=CE=B1=CF=88=CE=B5: > Does this user have an individual mailbox size limit which is below the > level set elsewhere - doesn't the user limits overrid...

Exchange 2003 SP2 IS size increase
I have installed SP2 and increased the size to the IS. When Exchange started, I received the 1216 eventid telling me that the DB size limit was 70GB. My question is, after an online defrag the event ID 1221 says that I have 4150 MB of free space? Shouldn't this be much greater? event 1221 is only telling you how much "whitespace" is in the database...this is space that can be reclaimed by an offline defragmentation of the store (not recommended unless necessary)...it's space that is not actually being used but is present in the database due to deletions, etc. -- S...

Logo Size for reports
Bonjour! I would like to know the best size for a logo to print on a report (Report Writer) Regards, Joel :) Hi Joel This is the KB which explains how to get the best reproduction of logos in the report writer. https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;854470 Voila! David Musgrave [MSFT] Senior Development Consultant Escalation Engineer - Great Plains Microsoft Dynamics Support - Asia Pacific Microsoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions) http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics mailto:David.Musgrave@online.microsoft.com Any views contained within ar...

Can this size limit message be changed: Your mailbox is over its size limit
Is there any way to change this message? If so, how? We have Exchange 5.5 and 2003 ------------------------------------------ From: System Administrator Sent: Sunday, March 13, 2005 2:00 PM To: <<UserName>> Subject: Your mailbox is over its size limit Importance: High Your mailbox has exceeded one or more size limits set by your administrator. Your mailbox size is 200000 KB. Mailbox size limits: You will receive a warning when your mailbox reaches 260000 KB. You may not be able to send or receive new mail until you reduce your mailbox size. To make more space available, ...

Minimum File Size?
I'm interested in making an Excel 2003 spreadsheet downloadable from the web. I've created a single sheet, single cell (a1 contains "x") and filed it. This consumes 13.5k. What procedure(s) would you advise to make it smaller for download purposes? Zip it. circa 2Kb -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�------------------------------�---------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission :-) ------------------------------�--------...