Private EDB file - Unexplained Growth

Hi,

I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and
what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
limit problems.

Thanks,

Tom
0
Tom7430 (437)

you need to perform offline defragmentation on the databases to
also take a look at this site for updates SBS
http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/downloads/presp1.mspx

http://consultusa.us/index.php?itemid=19
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192185/

Let us know if you have questions regarding to perform offline defrag
Good luck
oz

--
Oz Ozugurlu
System Engineer

oz@MsExchange911.net
http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)

"Tom" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
> There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
> size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and
> what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
> limit problems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
The following list contain the most common reasons for this problem:

1. Large amount of data was send from or/and into the server.

2. Worm or other type of virus may use the mail server to send emails.

3. The mail server are open to relay, and may use for SMTP traffic relay.

4. Backup/Antivirus software may harm the database stability.

5. New users was moved to the mailbox store.
aslo check this out
How to resolve unexpected growth of EDB or/and STM Files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555360/en-u
http://msexchange911.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=93.msg105#msg105

--

"Tom" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
> There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
> size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and
> what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
> limit problems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
DIR could be responsible for this...what is the DIR set to ?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
> There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
> size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy
and
> what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
> limit problems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

0
sconkey (3059)
9/7/2006 4:36:26 PM
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:36:26 -0700, "Susan"
<sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:

>DIR could be responsible for this...what is the DIR set to ?

and raise that standard limit !
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html
0
adavid (8731)
9/7/2006 4:52:42 PM
"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:36:26 -0700, "Susan"
> <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:
>
>>DIR could be responsible for this...what is the DIR set to ?
>
> and raise that standard limit !
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html

And clean that room!

0
exchangemvp (657)
9/7/2006 5:12:37 PM
Oz,

We have tried to do the offline defrag before and all of the updates have
been applied to the server. We still have the problem that if I add up the
mailbox sizes I get 4.5GB and if I look at the private edb file it is 17GB.

Any other suggestions???

Tom

"oz@msexchange911.Nospam.org" wrote:

> The following list contain the most common reasons for this problem:
>
> 1. Large amount of data was send from or/and into the server.
>
> 2. Worm or other type of virus may use the mail server to send emails.
>
> 3. The mail server are open to relay, and may use for SMTP traffic relay.
>
> 4. Backup/Antivirus software may harm the database stability.
>
> 5. New users was moved to the mailbox store.
> aslo check this out
> How to resolve unexpected growth of EDB or/and STM Files
> http://msexchange911.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=93.msg105#msg105
>

> --
> Oz Ozugurlu
> System Engineer
> MCSE 2003| M+| S+
> MCDST | Security+
>
> oz@MsExchange911.net
> http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
> http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
> > There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
> > size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and
> > what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
> > limit problems.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Tom
0
Tom7430 (437)
9/8/2006 1:16:02 PM
On Fri, 8 Sep 2006 06:16:02 -0700, Tom <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Oz,
>
>We have tried to do the offline defrag before and all of the updates have
>been applied to the server. We still have the problem that if I add up the
>mailbox sizes I get 4.5GB and if I look at the private edb file it is 17GB.
>
>Any other suggestions???

Who much free space is avail in the edb store according to events 1221
in the app log?

>Tom
>
>"oz@msexchange911.Nospam.org" wrote:
>
>> The following list contain the most common reasons for this problem:
>>
>> 1. Large amount of data was send from or/and into the server.
>>
>> 2. Worm or other type of virus may use the mail server to send emails.
>>
>> 3. The mail server are open to relay, and may use for SMTP traffic relay.
>>
>> 4. Backup/Antivirus software may harm the database stability.
>>
>> 5. New users was moved to the mailbox store.
>> aslo check this out
>> How to resolve unexpected growth of EDB or/and STM Files
>> http://msexchange911.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=93.msg105#msg105
>>

>> --
>> Oz Ozugurlu
>> System Engineer
>> MCSE 2003| M+| S+
>> MCDST | Security+
>>
>> oz@MsExchange911.net
>> http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
>> http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)
>>

>> "Tom" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
>> > There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
>> > size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and
>> > what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
>> > limit problems.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Tom
0
adavid (8731)
9/8/2006 1:21:41 PM
It would make sense to check if there is space to be recovered before taking
the outage, right?
The 1221 Event in the log should indicate the amount of free space.  If
there's no 1221 event, then look for a 704 event indicating that online
maintenance isn't completing.  Also could be some space consumed by deleted
item retention, deleted mailbox retentiion, etc.

Doing some good fact gathering before diving into outage-causing procedures
is a healthy habit.

<ozmsexchange911Nospamorg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> you need to perform offline defragmentation on the databases to
> also take a look at this site for updates SBS
> http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/downloads/presp1.mspx
>

> http://consultusa.us/index.php?itemid=19
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192185/
>

> Let us know if you have questions regarding to perform offline defrag
> Good luck
> oz
>

> --
> Oz Ozugurlu
> System Engineer
> MCSE 2003| M+| S+
> MCDST | Security+
>
> oz@MsExchange911.net
> http://www.msexchange911.org/ (forums)
> http://www.exchange911.org/cblog/index.php (Blog)
>

> "Tom" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
>> There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the
>> file
>> size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy
>> and
>> what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into
>> size
>> limit problems.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Tom

0
awebb7472 (650)
9/9/2006 2:42:44 AM
Try and see how much data your DIR is taking up using perfmon. Here is
a good site that will show you how to perform this task.

James Chong

Tom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003.
> There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file
> size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and
> what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size
> limit problems.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

0
jamestechman (1266)
9/9/2006 4:03:09 AM
On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:12:37 -0700, "Martin Blackstone - MVP"
<exchangemvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 7 Sep 2006 09:36:26 -0700, "Susan"
>> <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>DIR could be responsible for this...what is the DIR set to ?
>>
>> and raise that standard limit !
>> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html
>
>And clean that room!

No vote for you!
0
adavid (8731)
9/9/2006 2:00:59 PM

> No vote for you!

You either now! Way to go.

0
exchangemvp (657)
9/9/2006 2:02:45 PM
On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 07:02:45 -0700, "Martin Blackstone - MVP"
<exchangemvp@gmail.com> wrote:

>"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
>

>> No vote for you!
>
>You either now! Way to go.

Stop being so mean!
0
adavid (8731)

excel wont open file #2
I am trying to open a excel file, but a message comes up saying th file is corrupt ,is there anyway i can open i -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Which web.config and machine.config file to use?
Hello, The CRM Performance White Paper (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6B32E0B3-5520-48A7-B3CD-D8477D084821&displaylang=en) suggested modifications to the web.config and machine.config files to lift the HTTP 2 connections limitation and fixes to other threads. The problem is there are more than one location for this file. So my question is, which web.config and machine.config file to use? 1) WEB.CONFIG file locations C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb C:\Program Files\Microsoft CRM\CRMWeb\MSCRMServices C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\Rep...

Linking between two files
Hello Im building up a Excel ark to use whit Autodesk inventor, but i run into some problems. I have a main file there you designate the values needed in inventor. Then i need to extract these values to a new excel file which inventor get it�s data from. My problem is then i make a chain to the file from there inventor is taking the values i have to open that file to update it. Is there a way to update 3 files from one file whitout opening the 3 other files ? the Phantom -- The Phantom ------------------------------------------------------------------------ The Phantom's Pro...

Opening a file
When I double-click an Excel .xls file it does not automatically open the workbook. I get a blank Excel screen instead and have to browse to find the file. Also, if I right click and select Open, the same thing happens. This occurred suddenly for some unaccountable reason. Previously, the double-click worked just fine. Thanks for your help, Rose This is a typical symptom that somehow the Windows setting for the .xls extension have gotten messed up. The easy way to fix the problem should be to use the /regserver switch as documented in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx? scid...

hyperlink to adobe Pdf file
I enter a hyperlingk to an Adobe Pdf file that is on my computer in a cell, but it does not open the file, it just gives a blink and nothing happens. I tried this link in Outlook and it worked, and I tried inserting hypelinks in excel to word and other programs and it worked fine, I only have a problem to link an Adobe pdf file in Excel. Maybe it's not excel. A few people complained that the Reader appeared and then disappeared. So make sure you have the latest version of the software: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/thankyou.jsp?ftpID=2713&fileID=2551 Jacob wrote: >...

manipulating a .rc file
Hi All, I am trying to manipulate the unicode strings in a .rc file programatically. For example, if I want to read the .rc file, and then read the strings and then manipulate them. In .NET there is support using the ResXResourceReader/Writer for the ..ResX files, but nothing for .rc files. Is there any similar way in ..NET or Win32 to work with .rc files?? Thanks in advance! You can use BeginUpdateResource/EndUpdateResource etc. Look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winui/winui /WindowsUserInterface/Resources/IntroductiontoResources.asp -- Ajay Ka...

inserting a text into xml file
Hi friends, I am new to csharp and XML : fp=File.OpenText(server.mappath(".\\upload\\")+"test.txt"); string info=fp.readtoend(); string[] arinfo =new string[4]; char splitter = {'|','^'}; arinfo =info.split(splitter); for(int x=0;x<arinfo.length;x++) { response.write(arinfo[x]+"<br>"); a=arinfo[x]; xmltextwriter xwriter=new xmltextwriter("C:/XML/Data.xml",system.text.encoding.UTF8); xwriter.writestartdocument(true); xwriter.writestartelement("login"); xwriter.writeelementstring("usernam...

Help Workshop fails to create usable HLP file
I am trying to compile a MS Help Workshop (ver 4.03.0002) project that I have been working with for over 7 years. Now if I compile the project the resulting HLP file still works. The problem is if I make any change at all (add a single character to the main RTF file) then the project still compiles BUT when I open the HLP file and drill down the Contents to any specific page (or use he index to access any specific page) I get a "Program Error" pop up message box that says: winhlp32.exe has generated erros and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. ...

File is saved on opening #5
Hi Dave, Thanks for your help. It's been a mystery to me as well. If I open th 50 Mb file, there are some macros in it, that I've written myself. Bu they are nothing special, just some copy/paste actions. I've searched for the word 'save' in the 'current project', but with n results. To be sure that it's not in the macros, I deleted all macro and sheets. The file I stripped contains no macros, not i ThisWorkbook, not in Sheet1(Sheet1), and there are no other objects. I have an Internet_Assistant (HTML.XLA), but I guess that's for th paperclip. If I open an...

I do not have permissions to restore a .PST file
Outlook's PST file was backed up, but when I attempted to restore it in Outlook2002, it said I do not have permission. I have admininstrator rights. Is there any way to restore this PST file? Make sure the file isn't marked read-only. If it's on a CD, move it to your hard drive and remove the read-only attribute. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Steve Diaz" <steved@scripps.edud> wrote in message news:005f01c3507c$...

Export DN Names To File ...
Hi, I need to export a list of Exchange 2003 mailbox DN names to a file so I can use it with the Exmerge program. The mailboxes are not registered against users in AD as they have been "orphaned" after a migration from Exchange 5.5 & we need to export them to .PST format (to save the data) using Exmerge before deleting them off the stores (there are a thousand to do). I've tried in vain to find a simple tool that will help me do this. Can anyone help. ...

Converting from PFS File data
Is Access capable and successful program to convert data- files from PFS File? Used to happily run my mental health practice in Cheshire, CT on PFS programs and I have some data-bases of clinicians/providers whose info I need to bring into the 21st century. Help, please. Thanks. Herb Rosenfield wrote: > Is Access capable and successful program to convert data- > files from PFS File? Used to happily run my mental health > practice in Cheshire, CT on PFS programs and I have some > data-bases of clinicians/providers whose info I need to > bring into the 21st century. ...

slow file open dialog box
File open dialog box in Excel 2003 and Word 2003 on W2K machine is unbearably slow when attempting to access folders on network drive. Doesn't appear to be a connectivity issue since accessing same folders in Explorer is almost instantaneous. This is the only machine running Office 2003, but other W2K machines running Office 2000 do not have this problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Regards, Paul You might find the answer in the following Microsoft Knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822621 "Paul O'Brien" wrote: &...

Can't open WMV files in windows media player
I keep getting error "The file type is supported by the Player, but the file was compressed by using a codec that is not supported by the Player. " when tried to open .WMV files. The same files used to work fine. Is it that some windows media player system files got corrupted? Is there any way I can replace them? Mine is Windows XP home edition, service pack 2. Thanks. What was changed to your system before they stopped working? If you open one of the WMV files in GSpot - http://www.headbands.com/gspot , which audio and video codec does it say is used in the file? Re...

Select the position of an attached file in a HTML mailitem
Hello, I guess it's not possible to use the property Position of the Attachment class when composing a HTML Mail and adding an attachment. So if I'm right and it's not possible.. would it at least be possible to insert an hyperlink to an attached file at any position of the body when writting the HTMLbody so when the user clicks on the link the attached file open? Thank you in advce. Correct: Only RTF message bodies place the attachment in the body. Therefore, the position is relevant only to RTF messages, not HTML or plain text. It is not possible to make...

what is the boot record of the database file? & TDE
Hi, I've just been reading an article about TDE, in the article I came across the following sentence The database encryption key that is created in the user database, in which TDE has been implemented, is included in the standard database backup. It is stored in the boot record of the database file so that it can be accessed and used to decrypt the user database. my question is what is the boot record of the database file? (I've googled this but I've not found a definitive answer..) additionally - I've not actually implemeted TDE yet. do the following back...

High rate of Growth of Log Files
We are having a high rate of growth of our exchange log files, sometimes upto 1 log file perminute, we only have 100 users on that particular exchange server. This rate continues even though there are very few users connected to the server. Exchange 2003 with SP1 Blackberry 4.0 installed on another server. Not all the exchange servers within the ORG have this problem. Have tried using "Using Exchange Server Monitor" but the "Log Bytes" remains at 0 for all users. Does anyone have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this further ? Hi Matt, Have a look at the followin...

Can you export a .pdf file into Visio?
The file was originally created in Visio, published as a pdf, and now I want to take it back into Visio --as an editable version. I've been able to snapshot the file and put it into Visio, but I'm not able to edit it. Any help would be great. Thanks!! "Visio Dummy" <Visio Dummy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42EA196B-5972-4892-9680-1221D1845E0D@microsoft.com... > The file was originally created in Visio, published as a pdf, and now I > want > to take it back into Visio --as an editable version. I've been able to > snapshot the f...

Combining multiple files into one work sheet
Good afternoon, I have multiple files single worksheet files (30), each in it's own directory that I would like to have combined into a single workbook. Each file name is unique, however the midships of each file contains the date the file was created "C:\XVG001\XVG001_20090713_Reviewed.xls". Is there any way I can create a function or macro that will pull these files from their respective directories and combine these sheets automatically into one workbook? Thanks Try this add-in http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/t...

Excel Files Won't Open From Shortcut
The title's misleading but I couldn't find a way to express it succinctly. If I have 2 Excel windows open, with one or more workbooks within each window, and I click on an Excel file-name in Windows Explorer or on a shortcut to an Excel file-name, nothing happens. If I close both Excel windows and try it, the file will open. Or if I go to Files, Open, and Browse to the file name it will open. This is both new and a pain in the rear. As recently as 3 months ago I could open six or eight Excel files at the blink of an eye, from Windows Explorer or from shortcuts. What change...

mny file on different computers
I can't seem to copy my .mny file from my desktop to use on my notebook. Using Money 2005 deluxe on both. Money starts and immediately wants to upgrade/convert my .mny file (seems to think its from a different version). If I try to let it do this this it comes back and says it can't open the file, might be read-only or the disk is write protected. I checked permissions and all that. Have plenty of disk space. I have admin priveledges. I've tried restoring a backup file also with same results. Any suggestions? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Bill S wrote: >I c...

Private meeting contents
Does anyone know how to put content into a meeting invite and make it private from other attendees? An example is to include the Leader passcode into an invite without making the information visible to all invited. ...

.PST File too big
My MS Outlook .PST file has grown too big and reached the 2GB Limit. I tried deleting some emails and removing them from the deleted items, but the .PST file does not seem to go down in size. Is there a compress or compact utility for MS Outlook or am I missing something? Thanks in advance for all you help -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- Yr lucky the pst is still accessable, problems can occur when greater than 1.6gb. In properties...

calculate data from a different file
Is it possible to have a cell return a value from another file that is saved on a server without that file being opened. Here is the formula I am using: =COUNTIF(OFFSET('P:\Manpower\[Copy of Manpower 10-25 to 12-30.xls]Daily MP'!$A:$A,0,MATCH(F$3,'P:\Ohio\Manpower\[Copy of Manpower 10-25 to 12-30.xls]Daily MP'!$5:$5,0)-1),"*" & $B5 & "*") but all I get is #VALUE! if this file is not open on the PC I'm using. ...

merge 5 excel files
Hello NG I have a question, can I merge excel files? the excel files has the sam format only other data. thanks for the answers. kind reguarts Matthias Pauli You can find a code example here Matthias http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Matthias Pauli" <matthias.pauli@zehndergroup.com> wrote in message news:e$2r9xqIHHA.816@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hello NG > > I have a question, can I merge excel files? > the excel files has the sam format only other data. > > thanks for the answers. >...