Private and public db sizes - and moving them manually

I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming up to
speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have grown to
around 7Gig each.  I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise, but
I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is this
normal?  I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003.

In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to the
machine.  I've tried the administration program method of moving the message
stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete moving them.  I'm
wondering if it's viable that I manually move the stores to a new disk and
change the drive letters around so the new disk with the stores is the path
Exchange is looking for as the storage group.  Anyone see any issues?  The
message stores pretty much had the old drive to themselves.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Michael
0
Harvey (11)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:35:04 -0700, M. Harvey <M.
Harvey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming up to
>speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have grown to
>around 7Gig each.  I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise, but
>I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is this
>normal?  I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003.
>
>In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to the
>machine.  I've tried the administration program method of moving the message
>stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete moving them.  I'm
>wondering if it's viable that I manually move the stores to a new disk and
>change the drive letters around so the new disk with the stores is the path
>Exchange is looking for as the storage group.  Anyone see any issues?  The
>message stores pretty much had the old drive to themselves.
>
>Thanks for any help you can give!
>
>Michael

You'd best watch it because you're about 2GB away from mail shutdown
on the 16GB limit.
The 7GB for the STM seems a little big unless you have a lot of
OWA/POP/IMAP users who never use Outlook 2003 & MAPI.

What does the latest Event ID 1221 say about your Mailbox Store in
terms of White Space within it? 1221 will give you an aggregated
figure for both the files (which form one database)
0
mark7219 (5666)
9/29/2005 6:46:13 PM
Thanks Mark, yeah - I'm nervously watching that high water mark.   The last
1221 shows 4 megabytes of free space.  We don't do any access other than a
few OWA and through Outlook.

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:35:04 -0700, M. Harvey <M.
> Harvey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming up to
> >speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have grown to
> >around 7Gig each.  I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise, but
> >I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is this
> >normal?  I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003.
> >
> >In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to the
> >machine.  I've tried the administration program method of moving the message
> >stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete moving them.  I'm
> >wondering if it's viable that I manually move the stores to a new disk and
> >change the drive letters around so the new disk with the stores is the path
> >Exchange is looking for as the storage group.  Anyone see any issues?  The
> >message stores pretty much had the old drive to themselves.
> >
> >Thanks for any help you can give!
> >
> >Michael
>
> You'd best watch it because you're about 2GB away from mail shutdown
> on the 16GB limit.
> The 7GB for the STM seems a little big unless you have a lot of
> OWA/POP/IMAP users who never use Outlook 2003 & MAPI.
>
> What does the latest Event ID 1221 say about your Mailbox Store in
> terms of White Space within it? 1221 will give you an aggregated
> figure for both the files (which form one database)

0
MHarvey (1)
9/29/2005 7:01:01 PM
Michael did you ever discover why the System Manager MMC hung at 100% when
moving the store files?  I had the very same thing happen to me last night
and have been unable to discover why.

Does anyone else have insight on why moving the edb and stm files would hang
at the progress bar displaying 100%?

Cheers

Greg

"M. Harvey" wrote:

> I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming up to
> speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have grown to
> around 7Gig each.  I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise, but
> I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is this
> normal?  I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003.
>
> In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to the
> machine.  I've tried the administration program method of moving the message
> stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete moving them.  I'm
> wondering if it's viable that I manually move the stores to a new disk and
> change the drive letters around so the new disk with the stores is the path
> Exchange is looking for as the storage group.  Anyone see any issues?  The
> message stores pretty much had the old drive to themselves.
>
> Thanks for any help you can give!
>
> Michael
0
Greg7423 (349)
11/26/2005 6:22:04 PM
I started a move this morning 85GB store to a larger partitions. It seems
like the MMC is stuck at 100%, but how long does the move take? The edb files
size is the same on both partitions and .stm has not oved yet. is there some
process still running? How long should a database move take.

"Greg" wrote:

> Michael did you ever discover why the System Manager MMC hung at 100% when
> moving the store files?  I had the very same thing happen to me last night
> and have been unable to discover why.
>
> Does anyone else have insight on why moving the edb and stm files would hang
> at the progress bar displaying 100%?
>
> Cheers
>
> Greg
>
> "M. Harvey" wrote:
>
> > I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming up to
> > speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have grown to
> > around 7Gig each.  I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise, but
> > I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is this
> > normal?  I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003.
> >
> > In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to the
> > machine.  I've tried the administration program method of moving the message
> > stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete moving them.  I'm
> > wondering if it's viable that I manually move the stores to a new disk and
> > change the drive letters around so the new disk with the stores is the path
> > Exchange is looking for as the storage group.  Anyone see any issues?  The
> > message stores pretty much had the old drive to themselves.
> >
> > Thanks for any help you can give!
> >
> > Michael
0
brillmike (46)
4/28/2006 4:28:01 PM
How long a move takes depends mostly on your infrastructure. However, it
also should not get stuck at 100% and that implies a problem. The stm file
should also be moved as part of this process so that also is problematic.
Looking at the server are there any disk IO, CPU utilization that might
indicate it is still chugging along?

Nue
"Brillmike" <brillmike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I started a move this morning 85GB store to a larger partitions. It seems
> like the MMC is stuck at 100%, but how long does the move take? The edb
> files
> size is the same on both partitions and .stm has not oved yet. is there
> some
> process still running? How long should a database move take.
>

> "Greg" wrote:
>
>> Michael did you ever discover why the System Manager MMC hung at 100%
>> when
>> moving the store files?  I had the very same thing happen to me last
>> night
>> and have been unable to discover why.
>>
>> Does anyone else have insight on why moving the edb and stm files would
>> hang
>> at the progress bar displaying 100%?
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> "M. Harvey" wrote:
>>
>> > I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming
>> > up to
>> > speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have
>> > grown to
>> > around 7Gig each.  I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise,
>> > but
>> > I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is
>> > this
>> > normal?  I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003.
>> >
>> > In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to
>> > the
>> > machine.  I've tried the administration program method of moving the
>> > message
>> > stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete moving them.
>> > I'm
>> > wondering if it's viable that I manually move the stores to a new disk
>> > and
>> > change the drive letters around so the new disk with the stores is the
>> > path
>> > Exchange is looking for as the storage group.  Anyone see any issues?
>> > The
>> > message stores pretty much had the old drive to themselves.
>> >
>> > Thanks for any help you can give!
>> >
>> > Michael

0
imaneophyte (3004)
4/28/2006 6:37:29 PM
the MMC service was doing something, i would hardly call it chugging..more
like dripping along. It dripped along for about 90 minutes, a message popped
up saying the DB was moved successfully, and the store was mounted.
Everything has been moved and is working as it should.

"Nuevo" wrote:

> How long a move takes depends mostly on your infrastructure. However, it
> also should not get stuck at 100% and that implies a problem. The stm file
> should also be moved as part of this process so that also is problematic.
> Looking at the server are there any disk IO, CPU utilization that might
> indicate it is still chugging along?
>
> Nue
> "Brillmike" <brillmike@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I started a move this morning 85GB store to a larger partitions. It seems
> > like the MMC is stuck at 100%, but how long does the move take? The edb
> > files
> > size is the same on both partitions and .stm has not oved yet. is there
> > some
> > process still running? How long should a database move take.
> >

> > "Greg" wrote:
> >
> >> Michael did you ever discover why the System Manager MMC hung at 100%
> >> when
> >> moving the store files?  I had the very same thing happen to me last
> >> night
> >> and have been unable to discover why.
> >>
> >> Does anyone else have insight on why moving the edb and stm files would
> >> hang
> >> at the progress bar displaying 100%?
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Greg

0
brillmike (46)

Mailbox moves to Ex2003 don't remove 5.5 mailbox
I have moved several hundred mailboxes from an Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000 to an Exchange 2003 SP1 server running on Windows 2003 without any issues. However, lately I have moved two mailboxes (seperately) and have run into a problem. The Move Mailbox wizard shows a successful move and the mailbox does appear in the Exchange 2003 server, but the mailbox also appears in the Exchange 5.5 server. So, there are two mailboxes for a single account. I have reviewed article 299473 which seems to describe what is happening (although I have not used Replmon.exe to confirm this...

Lost owner role in public folder
The formar administrator of one of my customers has managed to remove the owner of a public folder. Now we are not able to remove or rename. Anyone who knows a workaround? /Stefan What version of Exchange? Stefan Jansson wrote: > The formar administrator of one of my customers has managed to remove > the owner of a public folder. Now we are not able to remove or > rename. Anyone who knows a workaround? > > /Stefan Exchange 2000 /Stefan "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" <lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> skrev i meddelandet news:%23Usp...

moving the pub1 and priv1 databases
I want to move my databases to a different hard drive on my exchange server due to the lack of space on the current hard drive. In Exchange 5.5 this was easy to do, however in Exchange 2000 I can't seem to find out how to do it Any suggestions? see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;257184 "robert" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3E2428E-2511-499C-836D-891E82F5D815@microsoft.com... > I want to move my databases to a different hard drive on my exchange server due to the lack of space on the current hard drive. In...

Margin Trouble with Custom Page Size
When I try to print in Publisher using a custom page size, printer or Publisher adds approx 1.5" to the top of my page margin, no matter what I do. Checked the printer settings in WordPad, all looks OK. Issue does not occur when printing on 8.5X11 page, nor does it occur in MS Word. I don't have any extra margin set in Master Page...have tried everything I can think of. Under deadline to print invitations and getting desperate...help! Thanks. How are you setting up your printer? Are you saving the custom setting? Are you setting up your printer first? What model is your pr...

email publications
I have a 4 page newletter that I want to email in the body of the email but only 1 page comes thru. I have pub 2003. Any ideas You can't do it the way you want to. I have a page that will tell you how to do it but it's not something I'd rally want to do. We normally suggest converting the newsletter to a .pdf and attach that to the email. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "sunnyatrodeph" <sunnyatrodeph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880FF3CD-FF2F-4839-A23E-A71F964602C5...

SBS 2003 Server Reinstall/Move
I have a client who has an SBS2003 server that (1) has an inappropriate server name (EAT-ME) and is (2) running out of disk space. Is there a way to do a clean install of SBS and move over the user accounts and email store to the new server of a different name (SRV-SBS). I want a clean server for the client because I doubt the integrity of the server. John, You asked this question once and you have answers in that thread. Starting a new thread with the same question won't change the answer.. If the answers provided were unclear or if you want to reply to them to add c...

Why The DB Must Be Open????
Hi, when i run that pro and the DB close I get Error: 2075 "this operation requires an open database" when i open the data base is work. The code: Private Sub Command1_Click() Dim cn As ADODB.Connection Dim sPath As String Set cn = New ADODB.Connection cn.Open "DSN=TEST1" sPath = "D:\ImportCurrencyRate.xls" DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, "Temp_Rates", sPath, True End thanks. > Why The DB Must Be Open? > when i run that pro and the DB close I get Error: 2075 > "this operation requires an open database&quo...

copy a file to all users via a script instead of manually
I have a d:\users folder on my server. inside users, each user has a folder named with their name. inside each of those folders is a desktop folder. I have a file on the C drive that I need to copy to each of those desktop folders, thereby giving each user this shortcut. Does anyone have a script that could do that, instead of me copying this file manually a few hundred times? many thanks if you do! "Rich" <richjone@noemail.noemail> wrote in message news:5E68A580-FA4D-4B73-A548-0ED9D74AF34C@microsoft.com... > I have a d:\users folder on my server. inside...

moving contacts and email back to Express 6
Completed a clean install on an XP. Would like to move some messages and contact list from my Vista. So far no luck and haven't found anything googling, any suggestions/ Drag these messages into Windows folders you create on the Desktop from the WinMail folder tree folders. Copy these folders to the XP Desktop. Open the folders | Select All and drag them into an OE folder in the folder tree. No need to mess with the dbx files. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Jeff D." <jddieterle@hughes.net> wrote in message n...

move Mailbox #7
Move Mail Box fails becasue of having lot of courrtion in mailbox. but mailbox opens sucessfully in outlook and i can read all the emails from outlook. Hi, The mailbox move manager will give you a report (you have to check this before you hit 'finish'). It will show tell you the corrupt items in the mailbox - their subject and location. You can then get the user to delete them, before re-running the move. Alternatively you can just set your corrupt item count to be the 'same +1' as the total number of corrupt messages in the mailbox. If the user can open and read...

Manual removal
Anyone know of the proper way to manually remove CRM for Outlook. I went to remove it, i get the message that it has to be uninstalled by the person who installed it which is the user. BUT, that user left long ago and the account was deleted. I just have not had luck finding the manual removal instructions. -- Thanks Knavas This doesnt always work. I have had to reinstall the OS before. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, expand SOFTWARE, expand Microsoft, and then expand MSCRM. Delete the key: MSCRM If possible use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall the application. If Microsoft CRM Sales fo...

Strange SMTP addresses in Public Folders
Hello all I noticed today that several of my public folders have hundreds of randomly named SMTP addresses in the "E-mail Addresses" tab under the properties of each folder. The primary e-mail address matching the name of the public folder exist in the long list of other addresses so e-mail sent to the folder in making it to the right place, but why there are hundreds of other SMTP addresses has me stumped. All of the addresses are 6 characters in front of the @ and then the correct domain name for my organization. Example: 10a8cd@domain.com, 10c426@domain.com. One of my folders...

Avg. Mailbox size for Mid-size company
I am tasked to find the average mailbox size of a general Exchange end-user in a mid-size company that is equivalent to one that I work for: 700 to 800 employees with approx. 550 to 600 email accounts. We are trying to come up with a policy to “encourage” people start cleaning out and deleting unimportant items and archiving the important ones from their inbox and sent items box. Since implementing Exchange 2000 (which was migrated from Groupwise), our storage has grown exponentially in the last two years! We have people that have not cleaned out their inbox in the last five years, ...

IE6 ignore font size setting = Outlook fixed 12-pt messages
Setting IE6's Accessibility option to Ignore font sizes specified on web pages (so I can read online newspaper text at my 1600x1200 resolution setting) produces an undesirable side effect in my Outlook 2K-generated html- format email messages: all message text is fixed at 12 point, even though my Outlook default message size is set at 10 point. Manually changing the font size in the message has no effect. Closest KB article I can find is one for Outlook Express (#178895), which indicates "this is by design." If so, why would someone who wants to vary the font size displa...

sizing a chart
Two Questions: (1) I have two charts that are exactly the same just showing different data. Is there an easy way to make these charts the exact same size? (2) How can I get them to line up with border lines I have on my worksheet so that they look right on the printout? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you may have. Hold the Alt key while moving and resizing the charts, and they will stick to the cell boundaries. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Jordan" <Jordan@discussions.microsof...

Public Folder Permissions Issue
Under our Public Folder store in ESM(Exchange System Manager) the inherit permissions under security was unchecked to remove inherited permissions. Now, NOBODY has access to view it, read it, or even list it our public folder structure. Not even the system, or the domain administrator etc. Note, the pub1.edb file where the public folder structure is stored is still intact. How can I get the public folders back to its original state? I have been researching this problem in multiple Exchange News Groups and received information about a tool called ”PFDavAdmin” which errors out. Any i...

2000 database keeps growing 2003 db shuts down
how annoying yesterday was. my gorgeous new 2003 decided its database was big enough and shut down Exchange. I defragged it in the middle of the day and it resumed. very embarassing. I was not expecting that. My 2000 server grows and grows, even over the recomended size limit. it may be slow but its dependable. can I adjust this feature in Exchange 2003 so it does not shut down when the database is over 18 GB? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=828070 Have you already used this article? There are 2 other ways ... 1. Upgrade Exchange 2003 standard to Exchange 2003 Enterprise 2. Wait fo...

Moving large mailbox over slow link
I have a some exchange boxes connected by slow links, I have to move some mailboxes that are large and the links aren't that reliable and drop off so the mailbox move fails, and unfortunately it don't resume (boy that would be a nice feature). So I'm thinking about setting up a temp exchange box, bring it physically to location A, move the boxes, then take it to location B and more then back on the server. Is that a good way to go about this? Or is there some way I could move them to a different storage group, un-mount it move the storage group and remount? I don't'...

External e-mails in public folder is displayed as a post
I'm migrating from E2K to E2K3 and where in the old situation the external e-mails appeared as e-mails in our public folder, now they appear as a "post". Internal e-mails are treated as e-mails. How do i change this behaviour, so that all e-mails are treated as e-mails? Hans On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:03:38 +0100, "Hans Nietsze" <nietsze@hotmail.com> wrote: >I'm migrating from E2K to E2K3 and where in the old situation the external >e-mails appeared as e-mails in our public folder, now they appear as a >"post". Internal e-mails are treated ...

Column size keeps changing
Using OL2003 In a custom view I have many columns with carefully chosen sizes for each. This remained unchanged as long as I didn't resize them in OL2002. With the new 2003 version, when I click on Help for instance it opens up a sidebar to the right of the screen with the search fields and results and squeezes the view into the left hand pane.. When I close Help, my custom view is "restored" but the columns are all changed. Help! ...

Changing View For Public Folders
Hello, I am looking for a way to change the view of the Public Folders from the default Detail view to a custom Icon view. If anyone knows of a way to accomplish this, I would be greatly appreciative. One of our customers is looking to have this setup. Thanks. -b To force users to see a custom view when they open a public folder:=20 -- Create the custom view, choosing the "On this folder, visible to = everyone" option.=20 -- Choose View | Current View | Define Views. Select the desired view, = and click Publish. At the bottom of that dialog, check the box for "Only = sh...

Copying folders into a public folder doesn't inheit permission
I am having a problem with rights in Public Folders. (Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003/Windows 2003 Server) Goal: Allow users to copy folders (with emails) from their Mailbox into the Public folders. Issue: Users can copy folders into the Public Folders no problem but no one else can see them. Notes: 1. It seems like the folders are not inheriting the rights set on the parent folder if they are "copied" into the Public Folder. 2. If they create a folder from scratch in the public folder it inherits the rights from the parent Public Folder no problem. The problem with that is tha...

Row Heights Incorrect Sizes
Hi, can someone please help, I've been inputting values for row heights by selecting 'Format>>Rows>>Height' and entering my required measurement of 6.5mm, but when I select 'Format>>Rows>>Height' for a second time to check if they're properly sized, instead of the 6.5mm I input I'm getting 6.35mm. This happens with columns too, they don't retain the originally required number either. I've looked in Excel's preferences and don't see anything that would make this happen either. This happens exactly the same on two different ma...

Server 2003: folder size quotas?
hello folks I'm sorry if this is a basic question, but I can't find the answer... I'm trying to limit my user's usage of more disk space than I'm willing to give them. Specifically, I want to stop network forlder XX from beging bigger than XGBs, without imposing limits on the rest of the network disk. Is this possible? tahnsk for any help ...

Sending mail from public folders and saving sent items
Hi all, We have users here who use the public folders in Exchange 2003 to communicate with clients. It allows for a central place for all the staff to be able to communicate with clients. Im trying to figure out a way that when mail is sent from a public folder(using send on behalf of) that allows us to save the sent items in the folder itself instead of in the users own sent items folder. Is there a way to accomplish within exchange or am i looking at 3rd party tools? Thanks Andy You're looking at making sure you CC or BCC the public folder when you send the item. :-) Out...