Port 25 telnet on Exchange 2K3 servers

Hi,

Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to
telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves...

the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee
Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee
GroupShield on them...

Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally
and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers...

If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but not
25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25...

EXBPA is reporting that port 25 is unreachable on the Routing group
Master...

Wondering if others have seen a situation similar, where all is ok, but port
25 is not responding to telnet...

Thanks !!!

---

0
thinkpad21 (78)

Try disabling McAfee services temporary and see what happens then...

--
Regards,
Sasa Milovanovic

"Thinkpad21" <thinkpad21@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to
> telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves...
>
> the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee
> Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee
> GroupShield on them...
>
> Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally
> and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers...
>
> If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but
> not 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25...
>
> EXBPA is reporting that port 25 is unreachable on the Routing group
> Master...
>
> Wondering if others have seen a situation similar, where all is ok, but
> port 25 is not responding to telnet...
>
> Thanks !!!

> ---

0
Sasa
5/23/2006 12:14:51 PM
Have you enabled relaying?

Regards, Lars.

"Thinkpad21" <thinkpad21@yahoo.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> Hi,
>
> Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to
> telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves...
>
> the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee
> Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee
> GroupShield on them...
>
> Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally
> and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers...
>
> If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but
> not 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25...
>
> EXBPA is reporting that port 25 is unreachable on the Routing group
> Master...
>
> Wondering if others have seen a situation similar, where all is ok, but
> port 25 is not responding to telnet...
>
> Thanks !!!

> ---

0
Lars
5/23/2006 12:15:35 PM
Open the Mcafee Console and have a look at the access protection
task...wonderful feature for blocking mass mailing worms.

thanks,
Leigh

"Thinkpad21" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable to
> telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves...
>
> the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee
> Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee
> GroupShield on them...
>
> Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally
> and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers...
>
> If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but not
> 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25...
>
> EXBPA is reporting that port 25 is unreachable on the Routing group
> Master...
>
> Wondering if others have seen a situation similar, where all is ok, but port
> 25 is not responding to telnet...
>
> Thanks !!!

> ---

Hi, macfee version 8 has access protection features of which port 25 is
disabled by default. you need to open the mcafee console and access the
access protection features, uncheck the 'prevent mass mailing worm from
sending email on port 25'
now try telnet again, should be ok.
However a word of warning, if the anti virus is managed by protectionpilot
or EPO, you will have to make the change on the managed software, otherwise
you will find that the settings you have changed on the server have been
overwritten.

Anish

Leigh_smith" <Leighsmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Open the Mcafee Console and have a look at the access protection
> task...wonderful feature for blocking mass mailing worms.
>
> thanks,
> Leigh
>
> "Thinkpad21" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Installed 3 new Exchange 2K3 SP2 for a client the other day, but unable
>> telnet to port 25, even on the servers them selves...
>>
>> the servers are 2 Enterprise & 1 standard 2K3 SP2, they also have Mcafee
>> Antivirus ( file level with Exchange folder exclusion ) and Mcafee
>> GroupShield on them...
>>
>> Curiously all email functions are ok, able to send and receive internally
>> and to Internet, just not able to telnet to port 25 on any servers...
>>
>> If I add another port to the SMTP VS, then able to telnet that port, but
>> not
>> 25, so I think one of the Anti-virus programs is stopping port 25...
>>
>> EXBPA is reporting that port 25 is unreachable on the Routing group
>> Master...
>>
>> Wondering if others have seen a situation similar, where all is ok, but
>> port
>> 25 is not responding to telnet...
>>
>> Thanks !!!
>>
>> --
>> --
>> ---

0
hs1 (8)

pgp universal 200 & exchange
Hello, Has any of you deployed PGP universal 200 with Exchange (pgp server in between outlook and Exchange, mainly to manage many PGP desktop or PGP satellite users?) Any issues encountered? Thanks ...

Exchange 2003 and new AD site
Here is what I got. Last year we migrated from exchange 5.5 to 2003. We moved all of the mailboxes to a temp server, reloaded the old 5.5 server with win2k3 and exchange 2003, then moved everything back to the reloaded server. We currently only have one site which is the default site in AD. I need to create a new site for a domain controller that I will be installing at a different location. I created the AD site and added the subnet in advance, but have not ran dcpromo on the DC at that location yet. I restarted the Exchange server a few days later and the Information store, imapi ser...

changing outlook server
I recently changed jobs. I'm wondering what the best way is to reconfigure outlook to point to the new exchange server and mailbox without wiping out all the data I have in my current mailbox. I don't necessarily need access to it any time soon, I just don't want to lose the content in case I ever need to search or reference anything. Any pointers on the best way to do this? I assume perhaps backup the PST file (or is it OST, been a while) and start from scratch? If it's not already in a .PST file I'd export it to a PST file right away -- just to be safe. Then co...

Exchange 5.5/RPC
Has anybody else noticed RPC failures on their 5.5 servers since the last months' RPC Rollup patch? We've had several of our 5.5 servers fail with Outlook client's but continue to work with OWA mailboxes. No error logs, takes a reboot to fix. ? K ...

Exchange 2003 Backup Restore of Public folder completes, but data isn't restored
Hi, I have an SBS2003 Server running SP1. I had a problem this morning where one of my users deleted a public folder. I had done a full normal backup onto an external hard drive the night before, so I didn't think this would be much of a big deal. This is how I did the restore: 1.. Dismounted the public folder store 2.. Selected the option, "this db can be overwritten by a restore" within the properties of the public folder store 3.. Fired up NTbackup, and selected to restore the Public Folder Store and Log files from Servername\Microsoft Information Store\F...

Import web site from server
Is there any easy way of importing web site from server (go daddy) Just cannot find any info about this matter Working with Publisher 2007 It got a bit crazy when they stopped Frontpage,,,,,,,,,,Just gotten used to the prog. Even if he does decide to try Expression Web, it's similar enough with the basics to continue to maintain a site while learning the new features. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OUsEhdhgHHA.3960@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > ...

Exchange + Hotmail => trouble
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C4418E.1E7EE290 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I have office xp and a problem with outlook. I set up an exchange account to retrive calendar etc from my university. = It works fine alone, but when i add my hotmail accounts, outlook can not = read them anymore. Im connected to my school via securemote. Does anyone knows where that could come from? Thanks... Remy PS: now i have outlook open for my exchange account and outlook express = open for...

Exchange Only mail not going.
Server = 2003 Std Exchange = 2003 Std Clients using SMTP & POP to/from various ISP's, Exchange is the central archive for company. But will eventually be ONLY email. Email addressed via Exchange goes nowhere. Some sit in X400 queue, others just vanish. Email from Administrator account. (No SMTP to ISP, ONLY an Exchange account) just vanishes. Not on any queue, but Outlook claims it was sent. Email To Administrator From Administrator using X400 address vanishes Email To Administrator From Administrator using SMTP address vanishes. Email To working client From Administrator using X400 o...

Create Exchange Address Book
Hi This is an exchange newbie question. We are running SBS 2003, and I want to create an number of address lists/groups. My reading suggests this is done in exchange server manager, receipients, all address lists, new, address list. My question is this. How do I control the members of these lists. For example, how would I include only the users Fred, John and Mark (all have exchange mailboxes) in an address list. I have seen the query based rules but cannot workout how to use for this example. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers Hi I would base the filter on something in commo...

web discussion server
I'm teaching myself Excel 2002 and I'm doing the workbook and it told me to go to online collaboration and click on tools for web discussion but my computer won't let me do it so what do I need to do to get this server. Please I need help! Thanks Marie ...

Exchange 5.5 reply SMTP address
Hi, Recently I experienced strange problems with my Exchange 5.5 SMTP addresses. Every time I try to set/change Reply Address for any recipient, it is SELF changing to address like 'alias@...' in several minutes. Unfortunately my boss has his mailbox alias different than our company standard :-) Could anyone help me? Regards, Adam Krajewski On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 21:08:39 +0100, "Adam Krajewski" <akrajewski@astercity.com.pl> wrote: >Hi, >Recently I experienced strange problems with my Exchange 5.5 SMTP addresses. >Every time I try to set/change Reply Address f...

SBS2003 and Windows 2008 Terminal Server
This one must be easy but can't find with Google, I know I've seen it here before so sorry if repeat. Perfect sbs2003 standard site. Added Windows 2008 for LOB. I have 10 user TS license for Windows 2008 TS but can't seem to get SBS2003 to accept it. I believe I need to do a registry change to allow sbs2003 to pass licensing authority to W2008. Have search and search....... You don't need to do anything to SBS 2003. Just add the TS Licensing role service to the Server 2008 Terminal Server. Server 2003 can't be a license server for Server 2008. And ...

Exchange vs backup
A short description of system specs: Windows 2000 Services Pack 4 X86 family 6 model 5 stepping 2 523 RAM Primary backup software: Veritas 9.1 Secondary backup software: NTbackup Short Description of problem: (Keep in mind this backup has never failed in the past) Over the course of the last two weeks, our backup of 3 servers has not been finishing. Its not failing, its not freeze or lagging any software, its just sitting there. With the help of Veritas and other sources we determined that its the Exchange server that its locking up on, we verified this by just attempting to do a backu...

Emails not coming in to my Exchange sever 2003
I have an exchange 2003 server .Since this morning all emails sent to me from the outside are not comeing in .I am able to get internal email's.Any Help will be helpfull. can you telnet to your server on port 25 from the outside? check the incoming queue. Guy wrote: > I have an exchange 2003 server .Since this morning all emails sent to me > from the outside are not comeing in .I am able to get internal email's.Any > Help will be helpfull. What you want to do is verify all the services on Exchange are working correctly and nothing outragous on the eventvwr. If you ch...

Server Side Autoreply Exchange 2003
Hi, In our company we move our email addresses from "@company.com" to "@newcompany.com" Management wants that if somebody sents an email to the old address, that he / she gets informed that this email is no longer valid and where they should send their emails to. (we switch also the mail system so forwarding or anything else is not an option) I checked the possibity of rules and created a server side rule which answers to every email send to this address. This works well, but i want to prevent creating mail loops e.g. if somebody sents an email and has his out of office ...

ISA Server Breaks CRM Integration
I recently updated our Small Business Server and now CRM integration isn't working. I assume it's because of the ISA Server 2004 update. What setting can I change in ISA to allow the "intuser" to connect to the CRM server? -- Brandon Presentations Direct - "Document Finishing Solutions" http://www.presentationsdirect.com Brandon, You've opened a real can of worms. ISA 2004 with SBS 2003 seems to be causing all kinds of problems with CRM 3.0, mine included. If all else is working well though otherwise, you may simply need to re-publish your CRM from...

Win2k8 server registered with vpn address in DNS
Hi I have a Win2K server which also acts as our vpn server for the office. At the moment I've noticed that the servers name is registered in the domain DNS records with its vpn server IP address and not with its normal LAN IP address. Is there a way to prevent his happening so all LAN traffic uses the correct IP address for the server? Thanks Roger. ...

Upgrade 5.5 to 2k3 but cannot use free-busy on new server
Hi, Dose anyone know hot to fix problem with free/busy scheduler. We are running Exchange 5.5 just because the free/busy have not replicated to the new server. Our replication dose not work anymore. Can't access public or system folders in Exch2k3 from Exchange Manager sw. Once Exch.5.5 is switched off we don't have scheduler information in Outlook, otherwise everything seams to work. Many thanks for your help. Anna Did you setup the system folder replication using the 2003 Exchange System Manager tool? ...

Outlook accessing wrong server for public folders.
Hi all. I have an Exchange 2003 routing group with 4 Exchange servers. I have created public folder replicas on each of the Exchange servers, however, when any Outlook client accesses the Outlook Security Settings public folder (or any other folder?), it always connects to the first Exchange server where the Outlook Security Settings folder was created. I found this by checking the connection status window in Outlook 2003 and noticed that it is connecting to the first server for public folder access. I checked that the default public folder store on each server is set to itself. Th...

Sticky exchange problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001D_01C422F5.BDF0E6F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi I'm running an Exchange environment with two Exch 2003 servrs and two = Exch 2000 servers. The problem is that when messages are sent to a = couple of distribution list they go sit in the "messages awaiting = directory lookup queue" and are never actually delivered through.. This = happens for a couple of distribution lists which I have recreated on = numerous times. When I force the c...

Difference between ORDER BY column value and column alias between different version of SQL server.
Hi, SQL Server 2005/2008. Is the following correct (apologies for trivial example)? SELECT -member_id AS member_id FROM members m ORDER BY member_id --Orders by column alias SELECT -member_id AS member_id FROM members m ORDER BY m.member_id --Orders by column value In SQL Server 2000, both the above seem to order by column alias. Is this correct? Am I right in thinking that when I upgrade I must go through my code and remove all the table aliases, otherwise I potentially get a different sort order? Cheers, James On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 10:36:06 -0800 (PST), JimLad &l...

Many to many relationships 09-25-07
I'm having trouble creating the correct links/relationships to get my database to work properly. In a portion of the database, I have a subcontractor table (basic contact information) and a subcontractor type table (15 different types of contracting to choose from). I want to be able to have multiple types for each subcontractor. For example ABC Contractor can have fire caulking and fire protection as services that they provide; XYZ Contractor provides demolition and concrete cutting. I've been running in circles with junction tables and can't seem to get it right. I wa...

mails stuck in local delivery queue in exchange 2003
Hi all our exch 2003 server was working fine until we got an error in the event log with id 348, category is Exchange store driver and source as MSExchange transport Event id descriptio is: message could not be virus scanned - this operation will be retried later. Internet Message ID <004501c601dc$6f146bc0$a132a8c0@pnolihbspds03>, Error Code 0x0. For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp. Messages sent are stuck in the outbox. The local delivery queue is increasing by the minute. We've unistalled the groupshieldv6 on the server but still no luc...

installed SBS svr 2008
Purchased and installed SBS server SP2. After install the description shows to be Windows Server Standard FE. Any clues to this being the wrong DVD from MS? Secondly, could something have happened during the install to "promote or upgrade" the SBS server to an Enterprise server? Any thoughts appreciated. On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:16:58 -0800, charles sterling <user@msgroups.net/> wrote: >Purchased and installed SBS server SP2. >After install the description shows to be Windows Server Standard FE. >Any clues to this being the wrong DVD from MS? >Secondly, could ...

Moving Exchange Database to a Remote location...
Hi I was on the forum a while ago asking if it was possible to run a Primary Exchange Server with 40 Users at our main site and a Backup Exchange Server at our remote site (disaster recovery site)... and keep the Backup server up to date or in sync with the primary... I know that there are various pieces of software that can do this job and they are expensive... Would it be possible to do this with EXCHANGE 2003 (and no 3rd party software)...? Does it have the ability to sync a remote site...? Many Thanks Colin "Colin A" <colin.albright@XXXvaluelink.co.uk> wrote: &g...