POP3 Server cannot deliever certain message

I have clients on Outlook 2003 SP2 and OE 6 (the version that is in XP SP2,
fully updated), who cannot download e-mail whenever there is a message
waiting for them from "trackingupdates@fedex.com".  If they go into OWA and
delete the message, they can download their mail as normal.

This is very odd!! I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

Exchange 2003 SP1
0
Hawkins (5)

"Gordon Hawkins" <Gordon Hawkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have clients on Outlook 2003 SP2 and OE 6 (the version that is in XP SP2,
>fully updated), who cannot download e-mail whenever there is a message
>waiting for them from "trackingupdates@fedex.com".  If they go into OWA and
>delete the message, they can download their mail as normal.
>
>This is very odd!! I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this.

If you can use Outlook 2003 and OWA to read and delete the message
then I'd look to see what might be going on with Outlook Express.

Does the same thing happen with OE if you use IMAP4 of POP3? Or is it
just one of those protocols that produces the problem?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> If you can use Outlook 2003 and OWA to read and delete the message
> then I'd look to see what might be going on with Outlook Express.
>
> Does the same thing happen with OE if you use IMAP4 of POP3? Or is it
> just one of those protocols that produces the problem?
>
> --

Thanks for the reply!  I'll check to see if the problem occurs with IMAP,
but just to make the issue clear Outlook 2003 (in POP mode) cannot download
the message either.
"Gordon Hawkins" <GordonHawkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:
>>
>> If you can use Outlook 2003 and OWA to read and delete the message
>> then I'd look to see what might be going on with Outlook Express.
>>
>> Does the same thing happen with OE if you use IMAP4 of POP3? Or is it
>> just one of those protocols that produces the problem?
>>
>> --
>
>Thanks for the reply!  I'll check to see if the problem occurs with IMAP,
>but just to make the issue clear Outlook 2003 (in POP mode) cannot download
>the message either.

Does changing the message format (on the POP3 server's property page)
from HTML to just "Plain text" help?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> Does changing the message format (on the POP3 server's property page)
> from HTML to just "Plain text" help?

Rich,

Thanks for your message, changing the properties on the POP server doesn't
seem to help.  This issue also happens inside and outside my firewall, so I
know that isn't having an impact.  I also disabled AntiVirus services to see
if they were having any impact, but that didn't help.

The issue does not occur when using the IMAP server, only the POP3 server.

Wierd!!
"Gordon Hawkins" <GordonHawkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>Thanks for your message, changing the properties on the POP server doesn't
>seem to help.  This issue also happens inside and outside my firewall, so I
>know that isn't having an impact.  I also disabled AntiVirus services to see
>if they were having any impact, but that didn't help.
>
>The issue does not occur when using the IMAP server, only the POP3 server.

If there aren't too many messages in the inbox, try reading them (or
at least transferring them) without benefit of a POP3 client. :)

telnet <server> 110
user <user-stuff>
pass <password>
LIST
RETR <message-number>

The RETR will just dump the message to the screen. If you can read the
message that way then it's gotta be the client software that's the
problem.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> If there aren't too many messages in the inbox, try reading them (or
> at least transferring them) without benefit of a POP3 client. :)
>
> telnet <server> 110
> user <user-stuff>
> pass <password>
> LIST
> RETR <message-number>
>
> The RETR will just dump the message to the screen. If you can read the
> message that way then it's gotta be the client software that's the
> problem.
>
> --

Well I can get the message to print through telnet (only after disabiling
SAV 10), but it still won't download using OE, Outlook, and Thunderbird.  I
removed all SAV programs from the server as well and it had no effect.

:(
"Gordon Hawkins" <GordonHawkins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>Well I can get the message to print through telnet (only after disabiling
>SAV 10),

Why would the AV software be interfering with the transfer unless it
thought there was a problem with the message?

>but it still won't download using OE, Outlook, and Thunderbird.  I
>removed all SAV programs from the server as well and it had no effect.

Then you may have two (or more) problems. One is the AV software. The
second may be the content (or format) of the message. The third (which
is most unlikely since three (or maybe just two) e-mail clients fail
the same way.

You said you can open the message with those clients using IMAP but
not POP? That would kinda leave out the badly formatted message, too.
:(

Can you redirect the telnet output to a file and then remove
everything but the message? Then rename the file to xxx.eml and
double-click it. Does it open correctly?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Preventing Viewing of certain columns by recipient
How does one prevent the recipient of an excel spreadsheet from unhiding columns or rows. For example, I have hidden columns of "cost price" on a spreadsheet and do not want the recipient to be able to view the "cost price" info. Well, you could password protect the sheet (Tools/Protection/Protect Sheet...), but anyone with enough gumption to find these newsgroups could bypass that protection in a heartbeat: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html You should assume that if someone can open your workbook that they have full access to everything in it. A...

messages to child domain DL's stuck in categorizer
Any new DL we create in our child domain gets stamped by the RUS but then can't be expanded in outlook, and messages sent to it get stuck in the categorizer with no NDR ever coming through. Older groups work just fine. Any ideas on what to be looking at? Is the expansion server identified correctly? One of the issues that causes a message to be stuck in the categorizer is a GC issue which would tie in with the expansion server. Nue "knightly" <knightly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE0E9092-1219-4D80-B6A0-81FE6233CE49@microsoft.com... > Any new...

shared pop3 account with different outlook clients.
Hi! We are using different versions of Outlook. The versions used are Outlook Express 5.5, 6.0sp1 and Outlook 2000 and Outlook XP. The problem is a shared pop3 account, which all the clients receive (and leave a copy to). Some clients receive the mail properly, but some clients receive corrupt messages, i.e. messages with no subject and sender fields and a blank message body. Now, i found a corresponding KB article, but we dont have any IE 6.0:s installed. Is there any other software which might have that mlang.dll problem, or should i upgrade all browsers to 6.0SP1? Thanks in adv...

put in the wrong servers
I put in the wrong servers when I was setting this up for my grandma. Where do I find the correct servers and how do I correct it when I find the correct ones? This is the error message that I got when I tried to send email. The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'pop.qwest.com', Server: 'pop.qwest.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E Any help will be appreciated, thanks. See specific setup instructions at (depends on your address): http://www.qwest.com/internethelp/email/outl...

Deleting messages in Outlook 2002
What settings do I need to change in my Outlook in odrer to actually delete a message rather than just cross it over? Happens with my IMAP folder. Thanks yaro <yaro137@googlemail.com> wrote in message news:4b3e1171-438a-40c9-8fdb-e5699bad5d5e@e23g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > What settings do I need to change in my Outlook in odrer to actually > delete a message rather than just cross it over? Happens with my IMAP > folder. > Thanks > yaro That's normal behaviour with an IMAP account - I don't think you can change it. yaro137@googlemail.com <yaro137@goo...

Multiple Mail Messages & File Attachments Displayed
I have Outlook 2003 SP2. Periodically emails will arrive twice. In the message template, my email address will be displayed many times in the To: field and any associated attachment(s) will be displayed multiple times. Any assistance is appreciated. ...

Messages not being sent
I have a remote user that has an intermittent problem sending emails. After syncing he'll get NDR's with the message "None of your email accounts could send to this recipient". The recipients are all in the GAL, it doesn't happen all the time and the recipients vary. We are running Exchange 2003 and he's using the Outlook 2000 client. I checked in the message tracking center and couldn't find a even a trace of the messages. Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Ian Any help from http://groups.google.com/groups?as_epq=None%20of%20your%20email%20account...

Finding Certain Dates
I get paid on the 1st and 15th of every month unless that day falls on a weekend or holiday. If that happens I get paid on the business day prior to the 1st or 15th. I have a flash that pops up on paydays by nesting the IF function: (=(IF(AND(B200=2,C200=15),"P * A * Y * D * A * Y",IF(AND(B201=3, C201=1),"P * A * Y * D * A * Y",IF(AND(B202=3,C202=15),"P * A * Y * D * A * Y",IF(AND(B203=3,C202=30),"P * A * Y * D * A * Y", IF(AND(B204=4,C204=13),"P * A * Y * D * A * Y",IF(AND(B205=5,C205=1) ,...

Reinstall Exchange Server
How to Reinstall Exchange Server 2000 ??? I need reinstall partition C: with Windows 2000 SP4+Exchange Server 2000 because Hard Disk is corrupted. I need Reinstall Exchange Server 2000 SP3 in my site. http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/disrec00.mspx D´┐Żlson Fernandes wrote: > How to Reinstall Exchange Server 2000 ??? > > I need reinstall partition C: with Windows 2000 SP4+Exchange Server 2000 > because Hard Disk is corrupted. > > I need Reinstall Exchange Server 2000 SP3 in my site. > > ...

Outlook / Exchange Server
I run exchange service, a workstation and for travel a notebook. I configured the notebook for chached offline work. I would like to keep all my opened inbox messages in Exchange to see it on the workstation as well as on the notebook. After synchronization of the notebook with Exchange only new messages appeared. Back home on my workstation suddenly the some effect, only new unread mails are displayed. Will synchronisation delete mails not found on server and Outlook? I loose my inbox mails since I use my new notebook. -- Hans Kohlmos Sounds like you're using a .pst file and...

How do I display a text message when a cell has a certain value??
Hi, I have a cell where if the cell is empty (A1=0), then I would like the cell to display "Enter your value here." Otherwise, I would like the cell to display the value a person enters. I have tried using an if/then/else statement and, understandably, I get a circular reference error: =IF(A1=0,"Enter your value here",A1) Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks! Why not just enter the text itself? The value entered by the user will displace (replace) it. This should work if the form is a template. -- HTH, RD ===================================================...

Change IP address of exchange server
Hi , Thought this would be an easy question to get an answer to, but had no luck with my searches... I need to change the ip address of my exchange server, but want to make sure that won't screw anything up... I thought that its ok to do that, but because the server is also a dc I want to make sure. Thanks for any help on this. Art -- Art Feel free to change the address. While possibly not required, I'd recommend rebooting afterward. Make sure that there are no hardcoded host files or WINS or DNS entries for the server. After the change, clients might not be able to connect fo...

Send/receive, operation failed message outlook 2002
Hi, I am receiving a message stating operation failed, with my 0utlook 2002 pro. When I go to tools, send/receive, and click on my account, I can send and recieve, but I cannot do it from clicking on the send/receive on the toolbar, and the auto send/receive does not work. My email settings are set up correctly, as I can receive my test emails. I tried repairing and uninstall/reinstalling outlook, but it did not fix it. Thanks! See if http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312354 helps. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS&...

Server Side Rules Setup
I would like to setup rules on the Exchange server that will impact a number of shared mailboxes (accessible to all our customer service users). I can't find any rule tools in Exchange, so I was wondering if the Outlook tools can be used? If yes, please provide an example of how this is done. Thanks, RS On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 13:22:03 -0700, "RS" <RS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to setup rules on the Exchange server that will impact a number >of shared mailboxes (accessible to all our customer service users). I can't >find any rule t...

Unattended setup of email accounts (no Exchange Server)
Hi. I don't know whether this is possible or not, but I would like to set up an unattended setup of email accounts (no Exchange Server) on a remote computer. Right now, I have to wait until both the remote users and I are available, log on the remote computer using GoToMyPC, and set up the email accounts. If there was a way to set this up so that Outlook email accounts would be configured automatically the first time the user logs on (or the first time they use Outlook), that would simplify things a bit. If anyone knows how (or if) this can be done and has an example of how to do...

Customize Exchange error Message
My users sometimes get a error message similar to: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: user@somewhere.com on 5/23/2005 1:27 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <myserver.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@somewhere.com> In all cases where we have researched this error, the error was on the recipients mail server or the internet connection between my server and the recipient was not working properly. Is there a way to customize this error message... to alert my use...

Outlook 2003 slow when sending a new message
Hi, We have noticed that Outlook 2003, running on the new exchange server is slow to send a message. They sit in the 'Outbox' for about a minute, then send. This is on a corporate site, that used to send everything instantaneously. Any ideas? Thanks! Heidi ...

Cant move .pst email folder on server
For some reason when I try to move my emails from the inbox to my .pst folder I receive this error...cant move items I dont have the approiate permissions. I have 75GB free space on server, the email size is is only one or two lines. This happend on another users laptop and I was able to fix by moving ..pst to desktop and back then rebooting. For some reason this does not work. I emptied delete box also. Ideas? "TKM" <TKM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B16DC7A4-61E3-4A3A-81C8-86B953E0507F@microsoft.com... > For some reason when I try to...

Cannot receive email from some servers
I have a SBS 2003 server, sp1 installed, exchange server sp2 installed. The problem starts since last week, I can receive email, like from Hotmail, Yahoo, and from people they are using MS Exchange Server. It seems that I can't receive email from those people using a mail server other than Exchange server, like Unix server. The sender receive NDR like that: JohnS@somervilles.com>: lost connection with 61.9.200.112[61.9.200.112] while sending end of data -- message may be sent more than once. Anyidea Ted Li <TedLi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a SBS 2003 ser...

Requesting data from the Microsoft Exchange Server
Requesting data from the Microsoft Exchange Server My OutlookXP is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server "Server". You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Why is this happening? Thank you. Normally causes by a slow network or a busy Exchange server. The client is waiting for a response from the server and either it is busy with another task or the network is slow. When it connects and gets the data, the message goes away. It is just there to inform users it is actua...

Outlook Mailboxes Slow on Exchange 2003 Server
We have recently upgraded to Exchange 2003 server on a Cluster environment, running Windows 2003 Cluster Servers. We did have Exchange 2000 working fine, just wanted some of the new features of Exchange 2003. Once we did the upgrades with no real problems. We have started to notice that various mailboxes will run slow periodically. It is moving throughout the server and it isn't always the same mailboxes. They run extremely slow. We have run a defrag on the Information Store and run the nightly routines before our backups. The Backups do not appear to be running during the sl...

how to use ado to check a field is nullallowable(SQL Server)?
I use ado to operate a database in SQLServer 2k.On the occasion that addnew NULL value to a field not nullallowable, an exception will be thrown.So I need to check whether the field is nullallowable or not before addnew. my question is how to check a field is nullallowable. thanks! best regards, kywoo Get the Field object, check its attribute by (Field::GetAttributes or maybe Field::get_Attributes) the attribute "adFldIsNullable" is what you want. "kywoo" <kywoo@tongji.edu.cn> wrote in message news:%23bcHqYvhDHA.2512@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I use ado to opera...

The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or re
I have two ole frames embedded in two slides of ppt (Professional Office 2003 sp3) I double click (or edit) one ole in one slide and move to the next slide. When I come back to the previous slide and double click again. I get this message "The server application, source file, or item can't be found, or returned an unknown error. You may need to reinstall the server application". I have seen cases from online where users were not able to see the embedded excel, however in my case I can see the embedded excel many times only if i stay in the same slide. Any hel...

lotus notes 6.5.3 local area server connection setup !!!
Hello All, I need to find lotus notes 6.5.3. connection server setup details. After I was installed 6.5.3 .I go to setup local area connection server.Type for Server name: xxxxxxxxxxxx then Destination server address setup to xxxxxx for address after that Open the link to the databases on the server, File - Database - Open but there is no my server name in this point Can anybody to help me about this. thanks. Aydin YILDIZ ay_yildiz1881@yahoo.com No, but a support group for Lotus Notes would be where I would start. = Whatever made you think this is an Outlook issue? --=20 Milly S...

error message #76
I keep receiving an error message when I try to open a JPG file in Outlook 2000 that says "The system cannot find the path specified." These files used to open in Netscape but I got rid of Netscape to use Internet Explorer but now I can't just double click on it to open it. Any suggestions where I need to change a setting to make it work? Thanks Tracy <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I keep receiving an error message when I try to open a JPG > file in Outlook 2000 that says "The system cannot find the > path specified." These files...