POP3 not allowing connections

I'm having a problem connecting to my Exchange server to download messages
via POP3. MANPI, IMAP, HTTTP, RPC/HTTP all work fine.
When connecting via Outlook Express I get the message:

-----------
inactivity. Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '10.1.1.2', Protocol:
POP3, Port: 111, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
-----------

I have verified that POP3 is running, and is set for use Any Available IP.
I can telnet to the server on port 110, but when I hit key, I get dumped
right back to a command prompt.
I saw an article about how this will happen if IIS is set to enable
bandwidth throttling, but my server is not. I have even set and unset
throttling just to force a change. I've created a new POP3 virtual server.
It's not a firewall issue, since there is no firewall between me and the
server. If I run perfmon, I can see the amount of POP3 connections grow each
time I try, however no email ever gets downloaded. I have looked into the
user accounts to make sure POP3 is enabled for them.

I'm out of ideas at this point.

-Dan

0
danking65 (22)

Anything in event logs? Try bumping up diagnostics logging for POP3Svc
(connections, authentication and general to begin with) and see if you catch
anything in the application event log.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Dan King" <danking65@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a problem connecting to my Exchange server to download messages
> via POP3. MANPI, IMAP, HTTTP, RPC/HTTP all work fine.
> When connecting via Outlook Express I get the message:
>
> -----------
> Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '10.1.1.2', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 111, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F
> -----------
>
> I have verified that POP3 is running, and is set for use Any Available IP.
> I can telnet to the server on port 110, but when I hit key, I get dumped
> right back to a command prompt.
> I saw an article about how this will happen if IIS is set to enable
> bandwidth throttling, but my server is not. I have even set and unset
> throttling just to force a change. I've created a new POP3 virtual server.
> It's not a firewall issue, since there is no firewall between me and the
> server. If I run perfmon, I can see the amount of POP3 connections grow
> each time I try, however no email ever gets downloaded. I have looked into
> the user accounts to make sure POP3 is enabled for them.
>
> I'm out of ideas at this point.
>
> -Dan

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
10/19/2005 8:33:49 PM
Thanks for the response.

The logs show nothing.
However I did get this fixed.... well at least it's working now.
Here is what I did:
-I disabled the POP3 virtual server and renamed it to "<CURRENT_NAME> -
broken"
-created a new virtual POP3 server. This server allowed connections.
-I disabled the new virtual server, and enabled the original one (still
renamed) and it works fine.

So then I cleaned up by:
-I deleted the new POP3 server.
-I renamed the original POP3 server back to the original name

I think what really fixed it was renaming it. Something was just not right,
and the system needed a kick in the butt.

-Dan

0
danking65 (22)

Cannot Connect for Download
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I am trying to connect to Microsoft for the latest Office 2008 download (I think it is 12.1.2) and every time I either use the AutoUpdate, or try to connect directly via the Mactopia site, I get a message that the url cannot be found, or the server is busy (this has gone of for 4 days now). The download DID work for my Power PC Mac update; what is wrong? re cannot connect for dowload me too, same server connection problem with all microsoft updates via microsoft download centre. Experiencing same error with flip for m...

POP3 not allowing connections
I'm having a problem connecting to my Exchange server to download messages via POP3. MANPI, IMAP, HTTTP, RPC/HTTP all work fine. When connecting via Outlook Express I get the message: ----------- Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.mydomain.com', Server: '10.1.1.2', Protocol: POP3, Port: 111, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F ----------- I have verified that POP3 is running, and is set for use Any Available IP. I can telnet to ...

A list of allowable DAO user-defined properties
Reading Hennig et. al. Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference, and have a question about DAO user-defined properties. These are not totally user-defined, because Access knows what to do with the property. For instance, if you user the CreateProperty method of the DAO.Database object to create a property with the name "Description", and you append it to the Properties collection of a DAO.Field object, Access knows to add that description to the field in the design view of a table. So there must exist a list of allowable names for these user-defined properties...

Impossible to connect onto Project Server
Hello, I re-installed Project Server 2007 SP2 + August CU on a server of my network. It works fine when I'm working on the server itself, but I cannot connect from another PC of the network. On the previous installs on the same network, I did not have any problem. What could be the cause of this connection issue? Thanks for help This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000402010701000201040700 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Do you get any kind of error message when trying to connect? Did...

Local Area Connection : Access is denied.
I have Win-2000 Advanced Server running on a server box and somehow I have managed to get it all up and running. (ONCE) I have 3-workstation boxes (1 XP-Pro and 2-Win-2000) connected to the Server on the second network card and the first network card is connected to the Internet and sharing the Internet with the rest of the network..... NOW - all of the workstation Local Area Network connections are set-up the same (obtain ip address automatically) - - - WHY will one of the Win-2000 boxes connect fine while the other Win-2000 box and the XP-Pro box both now get an ERROR when trying to...

do not allow account change for cash, recv or pay types
In the distribution window do not allow changing of account numbers without password for types, cash, recv and pay types. We spend many hours per month reconciling a/p, a/r and checking because someone inadvertantly changed the account number. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&qu...

Connecting to Office OWA from Home SBS 2003 network
Hello All, Firstly, apologies for cross posting...I couldnt find a specific OWA newsgroup... Office network: SBS2000, Exchange2000, ISA2000 Home network: SBS2003, Exchange2003, ISA2000 - Workstation WinXP, Office 2003 Problem: Previously I had a SBS2000 network at home and WinXP with OfficeXP workstation and was able to successfully connect to my Office OWA, so the Office setup is fine. I can still access it via a Laptop dialup, so that side is all ok (I assume!). Since building my Home SBS2003 network and rebuilding my workstation I have been unable to connect to the Office OWA. I keep g...

Allow user to set and save a default option button.
Win 2000 Prof. SP4 Office 2000 Prof. I have an excel worksheet with 3 option buttons on it. The Excel file will be read-only and distributed to several users using stand alone laptops. By default the first option button is selected on open. That's how the file will be saved. I want different users to be able to change which option button will be selected when the Excel file opens so they don't have to click on a different option button every time if they always want an option selected other than option button 1. I want the Excel file to hold a user selected default for a startup opti...

Allow quotenumber to be defaulted to different format
Allow the quotenumber (Quote ID) to be defaulted to a different format as the default format isn't very good. For Example, Q#, is a very normal format. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/...

Getting error 'The underlying connection was closed: The server committed an HTTP protocol violation'
Hi all, I am having application where i am downloading xml content using webrequest. my code is as below HttpWebRequest lWebRequest = (HttpWebRequest) WebRequest.Create(URL); HttpWebResponse lWebResponse = (HttpWebResponse) lWebRequest.GetResponse(); StreamReader lResponseStream = new StreamReader(lWebResponse.GetResponseStream(),enc); Data = lResponseStream.ReadToEnd(); lWebRequest = null; lWebResponse.Close(); IResponseStream.Close(); Here i am getting rss feeds using webrequest. Then i am loding rss that is data using xmldocument.load. when i am trying to change node of rss using ...

How can I disable connectivity to a windows server for 60 seconds? In linux this is done with: ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 60 ; ifconfig eth0 up
How can I disable connectivity to a windows server for 60 seconds? In linux this is done with: ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 60 ; ifconfig eth0 up On 09/04/2010 02:23, DR wrote: > How can I disable connectivity to a windows server for 60 seconds? > > In linux this is done with: ifconfig eth0 down ; sleep 60 ; ifconfig > eth0 up Use Netsh: set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=DISABLED set interface name="Local Area Connection" admin=ENABLED As for the 60-second pause in between, as far as I know there's no sleep command ...

Allow decimal places for item prices to be different than cost
Inventory items can be assigned a number of decimals per currency, and this setting is used for both unit cost and unit price including extended pricing. Therefore, if you track 5 decimals for the cost of an item, then you must price it with 5 decimals. If you are tracking items with varying numbers of decimals, then the SOP data entry professionals will be more prone to making data entry errors when entering unit price since the number of decimals for each line item could be different. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestion...

code to change a form's allows?
I am wondering what the code syntax is to tweak a form's allows? Allows deletions? Allows Adds? etc I know how to do it in the right-clicked form properties manually, but I need it to be based on conditions. Reason I need this is because I have one form that all users open. Depending on their window's username, I have a security table that tells me what role I want them to have in the database. Depending on their role, some users have more rights than others on this form. I want to adjust the form to allow additions for some users, but not others. Me.AllowAdditions = Fals...

Connection problems
I receive this msg when trying to update my accts. "money was unable to establish a secure connection to the server due to a problem witht he security components on your machine." It goes on to say about not having the latest version of strong encryption. I haven't ever received this before. Everything is up-to-date on the computer, i'm running windows XP with IE6 & MM 2004. Any help would be great cause can't be having the hubby upset about the checking account!! :O} -- Tami Try: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;323898 -Mark "...

Allowing rules for auto-forwarding mails over OWA
Hey guys! I want to allow OWA-users to make a rule, which auto-forwards mails. But the users always got an error and the message to try it again in a few minutes. Facts: - it doesn´t mather if the recipient is an domain-user or not - users can create such a rule over desktop-outlook, but not over owa - users can create all rules except auto-forwarding! - Exchange version: 2003 sp1 And the error message is ... ? dOcToR bEaT wrote: > Hey guys! > > I want to allow OWA-users to make a rule, which auto-forwards mails. > But the users alway...

How to disconnect internet connection using batch file?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to write a batch file to disconnect the internet connection? I am using boardband modem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric "Eric" <Eric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:57C6B1DC-E696-400D-A209-9701DFC8BC2D@microsoft.com... > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to write a batch file to > disconnect > the internet connection? I am using boardband modem. > Thanks in advance for any suggestions > Eric You can use devcon.exe (http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/1/f/11f7dd...

Linking/connecting nine separate worksheets of a workbook
Is there a way, after formatting nine separate sheets in a work book like sheet 1, sheet 2, sheet 3, etc., that I could connect or link these (I hope I am using the right words), so that if I change say the header on one sheet, the same change is automatically made on the other sheets, that the page numbering is automatic, that the column cells (for different vendor names that are set up say on the first sheet are repeated on the other sheets), like in a bid tabulation. The only difference would be the actual technical data filled-in on each sheet, which obviously would be unique for th...

Please Help!!! Error Connecting POS to MS Office Accounting
I have just installed MS POS 2.0 on my machine which will serve as my register. I have MS Office Accounting 2007 installed on another computer. I am now trying to integrate the two together and am receiving the error message "Could Not Connect To Office Accounting 2007". I have set Accounting up for multi-user and I have run the Office Accounting Integration on the Office Accounting computer. I've set the password (and double-checked it). I can browse to the file in POS. POS properly displays the computer name and the company name. I click 'Next' and get the prompt...

ADODB.Connection to Teradata Timesout
Hi All, I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a ADODB.Connection. The queries run directly unsing Teradata in about 3 Min. I can't keep the ADODB connection from timing out before three minutes. The error message is: "[NCR][ODBC Teradata Driver] Query Timeout Expired" I guess that I don't understand the ODBC reference on a ADODB.Connection. Anyway: I have other quicker queries that run fine. How do I keep from timing out? Thanks Ross Ross wrote: > Hi All, > > I am running Teradata queries from MS Access using a >...

How to create shapes and connections by importing excel-file
I have an excel file as: Object-A Object-B connection-1 Object-A Object-C connection-2 Object-B Object-D connection-3 I wish to import it to visio 2003 and let it create shapes for those "Object-A",..., "Object-D" and link them together by drawing lines (with those "connection-1",.."Connection-3" names). How to do it in visio 2003? Regards Andy Actually what I try to you is something like what this article is about. But it shows how to do it in the old visio versions that could open *.txt and *.csv files and those f...

Connection error on Document Load
I am calling XmlDocument.Load with a url string, but get the message "The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server." When I put the exact same URL in IE, the xml file comes up just fine. Also, we only get this error when running from some machines, not all. Does anyone know what is wrong? Thanks. I was getting the same kind of error using XmlTextReader with a url string. Check out the following: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888527 and look at the section on Undocumented bugs in the .NET Class Library (NCL). Also, google the term: useU...

Great Plains security should allow me to create permissions profi.
I'd like to be able to create permissions templates for performing specific tasks that could be assigned to users. For example, a template for allowing a user to run G/L inquiries and another that will allow payables transaction entry. Then I would assign both of these profiles to John Smith for Company 'A'. Because we like our users to be cross-trained, it is difficult to manage security without creating broad access classes, resulting in users that may have access to areas that we would prefer to lock down. Hi Warren, We have developed a solution that I think will meet y...

Outlook 2002 POP3 #2
I want to send emails only, using SMTP. Is it necessary I decalre a POP3 server? ...

Allow Multiple Values check box not showing up
I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup Wizard, but when I get to the place where is should let me choose to store multiple values for the lookup that section does not come up. I went online and printed the instructions off the help page so I know I am doing it right. Help! IMO, multivalued and lookup fields are not a good idea. You didn't mention what version of Access you are using. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "mschurter" wrote: > I am trying to create a Multivalued Lookup Field. I am using the Lookup > ...

Connecting with financial institution
Is there a way to add a financial institution to the list of those to which Money 2007 can connect for account updates? I have a WAMU credit card account, the website for which is WAMUCards.com. There are two WAMU's listed in Money, Washington Mutual Bank and Washington Mutual Commercial Banking -- but neither of those two is the right one for the credit card business. The WAMUCards site is able to send update data to Money -- but I want to set up the process by which I can request an update through Money. Thanks, Randy Harriman -- Randy in San Miguel (or Austin) In microsoft....