POP3 collection from mailboxes on Exchange 2000

Hi

We're running SBS 2000 and I want to allow remote users to download their
mail from the Exchange server using POP3.

As a test, I've telnetted to the host's port 110 but can only obtain mail
for the administrator's account and none of the users.

The message is simply a security-related message, the exact text of which I
can't recall.  I have tried it on two Exchange 2000 servers, with the same
results.

We've also done the same test on an NT server running Exchange 5.5 and that
allows us to collect from other users' mailboxes without any difficulty.  It
just seems to be 2000 that doesn't allow it by default.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Matthew

Rather than telnetting you could reconfigure Outlook
Express to make sure you're inputting the right syntax in
a friendly manner. Check that the users have the POP
protocol enabled on their account.
Also, consider using IMAP rather than POP. It'll give you
a greater level of supportability over the users mail.

0
mark7219 (5666)
1/29/2004 1:33:39 PM
Have you done this?

XADM: How to Get Service Account Access to All Mailboxes in Exchange 2000
ID: 262054

--
Hope that helps,
Dan Townsend

"Matthew" <nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> We're running SBS 2000 and I want to allow remote users to download their
> mail from the Exchange server using POP3.
>
> As a test, I've telnetted to the host's port 110 but can only obtain mail
> for the administrator's account and none of the users.
>
> The message is simply a security-related message, the exact text of which
> can't recall.  I have tried it on two Exchange 2000 servers, with the same
> results.
>
> We've also done the same test on an NT server running Exchange 5.5 and
that
> allows us to collect from other users' mailboxes without any difficulty.
It
> just seems to be 2000 that doesn't allow it by default.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.
>
> Matthew

0
dtown (976)