POP3 #5

Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 server 
inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night.

Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have completely 
gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox.

I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was; 
preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply done, 
item was read etc.)

I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox 
recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back?

Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switching off POP3 shortly!)

Paul.
0
Mead (2)
2/22/2005 2:47:04 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

5 Replies
358 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 10

Just re-read my email and realised that I should have stressed that I 
normally access the mailbox via Outlook 2003 (or OWA).

Thanks.

"Paul Mead" <Paul Mead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:CA2532C8-AFCD-416F-A673-B53F8B5C411C@microsoft.com...
> Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 server
> inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night.
>
> Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have completely
> gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox.
>
> I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was;
> preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply 
> done,
> item was read etc.)
>
> I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox
> recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back?
>
> Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switching off POP3 shortly!)
>
> Paul. 


0
paul.mead (5)
2/22/2005 3:03:57 PM
Do you have Deleted Item retention enabled?  If so, make the registry change 
indicated in
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886205
and run Tools, Recover Deleted Items from the Inbox folder.  You should see 
all of the items that were downloaded.

If you don't have DIR enabled, then restore from backup is the only way to 
get them back easily.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP


"Paul Mead" <Paul Mead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:CA2532C8-AFCD-416F-A673-B53F8B5C411C@microsoft.com...
> Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 server
> inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night.
>
> Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have completely
> gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox.
>
> I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was;
> preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply 
> done,
> item was read etc.)
>
> I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox
> recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back?
>
> Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switching off POP3 shortly!)
>
> Paul. 


0
Ben
2/22/2005 3:10:28 PM
I do have Deleted Item retention on (7 days), but it seems that items
"downloaded" via pop3, are not "deleted" as such and thus available for
retention. i.e. I have tried this and the items are not available for
recovery in this way(shame)!

I have just re-read your response - you imply that the deleted items
recovery is available for the "inbox" object - I suspect that it may only be
available for recovery from the "Deleted Items" object (my interpretation)?

I guess I might be looking at mounting a snapshotted mailstore and seeing if
I can perform some sort of recovery that way (direct backups are a tad out
of date - smack wrist).

Paul.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:OlABmCPGFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Do you have Deleted Item retention enabled?  If so, make the registry
> change indicated in
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886205
> and run Tools, Recover Deleted Items from the Inbox folder.  You should
> see all of the items that were downloaded.
>
> If you don't have DIR enabled, then restore from backup is the only way to
> get them back easily.
>
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>
>
> "Paul Mead" <Paul Mead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:CA2532C8-AFCD-416F-A673-B53F8B5C411C@microsoft.com...
>> Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 server
>> inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night.
>>
>> Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have
>> completely
>> gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox.
>>
>> I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was;
>> preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply
>> done,
>> item was read etc.)
>>
>> I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox
>> recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back?
>>
>> Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switching off POP3 shortly!)
>>
>> Paul.
>
>



0
paul.mead (5)
2/22/2005 3:30:49 PM
You need to make the registry change in order to have "Recover Deleted 
Items" available on the Inbox.  When you download mail via POP3, it removes 
it directly from the Inbox folder and is akin to a Hard delete.

Make the "DumpsterAlwaysOn" registry entry that is in the article, then 
select your Inbox and choose Tools, Recover Deleted Items.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP


"Paul Mead" <paul.mead@SiliconDELremETEoveBullet.com> wrote in message 
news:%23CRY%23NPGFHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>I do have Deleted Item retention on (7 days), but it seems that items
> "downloaded" via pop3, are not "deleted" as such and thus available for
> retention. i.e. I have tried this and the items are not available for
> recovery in this way(shame)!
>
> I have just re-read your response - you imply that the deleted items
> recovery is available for the "inbox" object - I suspect that it may only 
> be
> available for recovery from the "Deleted Items" object (my 
> interpretation)?
>
> I guess I might be looking at mounting a snapshotted mailstore and seeing 
> if
> I can perform some sort of recovery that way (direct backups are a tad out
> of date - smack wrist).
>
> Paul.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
> in message news:OlABmCPGFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>> Do you have Deleted Item retention enabled?  If so, make the registry
>> change indicated in
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886205
>> and run Tools, Recover Deleted Items from the Inbox folder.  You should
>> see all of the items that were downloaded.
>>
>> If you don't have DIR enabled, then restore from backup is the only way 
>> to
>> get them back easily.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>
>>
>> "Paul Mead" <Paul Mead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:CA2532C8-AFCD-416F-A673-B53F8B5C411C@microsoft.com...
>>> Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 
>>> server
>>> inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have
>>> completely
>>> gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox.
>>>
>>> I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was;
>>> preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply
>>> done,
>>> item was read etc.)
>>>
>>> I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox
>>> recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back?
>>>
>>> Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switching off POP3 shortly!)
>>>
>>> Paul.
>>
>>
>
>
> 


0
Ben
2/22/2005 3:38:26 PM
Thanks Ben you are a star - as usual Technet has the answer but you need to 
choose the right question(query)!

Although a better article for reference in my case would have been PSS: 
178630

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=178630

Thanks again.

Paul.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote 
in message news:eG7ROSPGFHA.624@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> You need to make the registry change in order to have "Recover Deleted 
> Items" available on the Inbox.  When you download mail via POP3, it 
> removes it directly from the Inbox folder and is akin to a Hard delete.
>
> Make the "DumpsterAlwaysOn" registry entry that is in the article, then 
> select your Inbox and choose Tools, Recover Deleted Items.
>
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>
>
> "Paul Mead" <paul.mead@SiliconDELremETEoveBullet.com> wrote in message 
> news:%23CRY%23NPGFHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>I do have Deleted Item retention on (7 days), but it seems that items
>> "downloaded" via pop3, are not "deleted" as such and thus available for
>> retention. i.e. I have tried this and the items are not available for
>> recovery in this way(shame)!
>>
>> I have just re-read your response - you imply that the deleted items
>> recovery is available for the "inbox" object - I suspect that it may only 
>> be
>> available for recovery from the "Deleted Items" object (my 
>> interpretation)?
>>
>> I guess I might be looking at mounting a snapshotted mailstore and seeing 
>> if
>> I can perform some sort of recovery that way (direct backups are a tad 
>> out
>> of date - smack wrist).
>>
>> Paul.
>>
>> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> 
>> wrote
>> in message news:OlABmCPGFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
>>> Do you have Deleted Item retention enabled?  If so, make the registry
>>> change indicated in
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=886205
>>> and run Tools, Recover Deleted Items from the Inbox folder.  You should
>>> see all of the items that were downloaded.
>>>
>>> If you don't have DIR enabled, then restore from backup is the only way 
>>> to
>>> get them back easily.
>>>
>>> -- 
>>> Ben Winzenz
>>> Exchange MVP
>>>
>>>
>>> "Paul Mead" <Paul Mead@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> news:CA2532C8-AFCD-416F-A673-B53F8B5C411C@microsoft.com...
>>>> Hi, accidentally downloaded all 250+ items of email from my EX2003 
>>>> server
>>>> inbox using Outlook Express and POP3 last night.
>>>>
>>>> Unfortunately, as "leave on server" was not on, the emails have
>>>> completely
>>>> gone from my "Outlook 2003" inbox.
>>>>
>>>> I guess there is some way of getting these back into Exchange as was;
>>>> preferably with all the meta-information intact? (e.g. priority, reply
>>>> done,
>>>> item was read etc.)
>>>>
>>>> I guess perhaps I could mount a snapshotted mailstore and run mailbox
>>>> recovery in some way and get 98% of my stuff back?
>>>>
>>>> Any advice gratefully received (I shall be switching off POP3 shortly!)
>>>>
>>>> Paul.
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
paul.mead (5)
2/22/2005 3:58:12 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

E5.5
I am getting this message when trying to acces Internet mail service containe I am using the administrator accoun ID no DS_insufficent_access_right Does this mean I have been hacked? First of all on Tools/options verify you are set to view permissions page for all objects, then verify you do in fact have permissions on the Internet Mail Service object. -- Ward Flowers Exchange Support Professional ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup purpos...

Your Exchange Server is Unavailable (Outlook 2003, Exchange 5.5)
Hi. I recently upgraded to Office 2003. I'm running Microsoft Exchange 5.5. I have several profiles set up in my outlook. A few of them connect to the Exchange server and a couple of them are personal "internet email" accounts. When I first open Outlook, I am able to access my Exchange mailbox. However, if I close Outlook and try to connect to my Exchange mailbox again (or any of the other Exchange mailboxes), I get the message "Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable" (Retry, Work Offline, Cancel). I've tried select Retry several times and it does not work. I...

smtp relay #5
We are using SMTP Fast relay service from VSNL on 203.164.235.49 SMTP Server. This service is authenticated on our 59.149.200.183 and 203.53.219.199 IP address. It is working fine for our internal user. One of our company roaming user want to use VSNL SMTP server. He use internet from any where but after get connected he should be able to send mails from MS-Outlook using VSNL SMTP server from his mail id. Is it possible.? please any one provide the solution. In news:1153917182.494101.305940@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, abrar <abrarnet@gmail.com> typed: > We are using SMTP Fast ...

Exchange 5.5 Backup (Veritas 9.0)
Veritas Remote Engine for Excahange stopts when trying to backup Mailboxes Exchange 5.5 (SP4 Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) Nasser <nsheleby@kvie.org> wrote: >Veritas Remote Engine for Excahange stopts when trying to backup Mailboxes. >Exchange 5.5 (SP4) >Windows NT 4.0 (SP6a) Best thing to do in the first instance is to see what error Veritas is throwing up and then report it to Veritas support. It's not a favourite practice to be doing mailbox level (also known as Bricks Level) backups. See link at signature for more information on Bricks Level Backups and why they are best avoi...

Formatting #5
I am using Outlook 2007. How do I turn off the Formating view where you see the space, enter and other symboles on the page? Thanks - Sam Format Text Tab, click the Formatting Symbols button on the Ribbon. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Sam" <smd6169@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23MlozXROIHA.4476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >I am using Outlook 2007. How do I turn off the Formating view where you >see the space, enter and other symboles on the page? > > Thanks - Sam > ...

Exchange restore #5
Hi, I've got Exchange 5.5 on a 2000 Server and I backed up Exchange through the Windows utility, I then went and deleted two user mailboxes but now when I do a restore the mailboxes aren't being restored. I'm sure I'm missing something. Thanks Craig you are restoring to a recovery server? exactly what procedure are you following? "Craig Pfaff" <grovens1@news.postalias> wrote in message news:ewM09bi1EHA.2292@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I've got Exchange 5.5 on a 2000 Server and I backed up Exchange through the > Windows utility,...

Looking for Release notes for Great Plains 7.5
Hello. I searched the MS website without success for the release notes. I'm currently running verison 7.0 and need to know if there are any issues with my server configuration. Thanks in advance. Marc -- Marc Payne, LAN Manager National SAFE KIDS Campaign V.202/662/0600 F.202/393/2072 mpayne'AT'safekids.org ...

Pivot Table Help #5
Hi All Is there any way that I can change the source data range after the pivot table has been created, without having to do a new sheet. I.e. Curent range is A1:D25 Want to amend to A1: F1000 Cheers Paul T 1.. Right-click a cell in the pivot table 2.. Choose PivotTable Wizard 3.. Click the Back button, and select the new range 4.. Click Finish. "PJ" <paul.thomas5@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:am9yj.52197$os2.41778@newsfe3-win.ntli.net... > Hi All > > Is there any way that I can change the source data range after the pivot > table has been ...

Is there an old Lotus version 5, info only do not need disk
Sorry for asking this question here, I have no idea where to ask this question? Is there an old Lotus version 5? ...

Can't open attachments #5
Hi, I'm using the current outlook express and internet explorer, (PC) and i can't open any attachments that are in picture format (eg. jpg, tif) file. I can open attachments that are in word format. I started to have this problem two weeks ago, before i was doing okay. I think maybe i contracted a virus, but I have an updated VirusScan, and when i scanned my computer, everything seemed okay. I thought the problem might be related to something i deleted, so i reinstalled outlook and internet explorer, but the problem is still there. I have Adobe Image reader, Photoshop, Paint an...

How do I creat a 8-1/5 x 14 template in Publisher?
I am creating a newsletter for my business and the boss wants to use 8-1/2 x 14 papers. How do I customize a template to and make it like a book where you staple it in the middle? Help!!! Lace wrote: > I am creating a newsletter for my business and the boss wants to use 8-1/2 x > 14 papers. How do I customize a template to and make it like a book where you > staple it in the middle? Help!!! File > Page Setup > Printer and Paper. Use this dialog to set your paper size. There are templates that use a Booklet fold by default. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http:/...

Millionaire at 31 ... on the Internet #5
Stephan Ducharme just became a millionaire on the Internet ... and he was caught on tape, revealing everything! Click here : http://www.freeadguru.com/cgi-bin/i.pl?c=a&i=31906 Rush on the page before it gets banned! --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20060203075145U1i9HiC2 ...

Migrating Groupwise 5.5 mail
I am not sure what I am missing. I have separate 2003 sp1 server with novell client and groupwise 525 client that I am using for the intermediary migration machine. I can run groupwise and get mail on the intermediary. I run Mailmmig.exe from the cd and attempt a one-step migration. Path to migration files c:\temp\1. I opt to migrate to my Exchange server, and the server/store are populated automatically through AD. When I press NEXT, I receive EXCHANGE SERVER MIGRATION WIZARD alert "The address book is unavailable. Check that the Microsoft Exchange Server is still available.&quo...

Excel 1.5
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Just wondered if anybody new a way of converting I assume it is excel 1.5 (its from my thesis in 1990) files so that they can be used in excel 2008 any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Adrian Hi Adrian: What makes you think Excel 2008 can't open them? 1) Make sure the files have the correct extension. 2) Use File>Open from inside Excel to open them. They should open straight up. Double-clicking in the Finder is always a little bit of a lottery, because you are depending on two or three applic...

Pocket Money 2006 Compatible with Windows Mobile 5.0?
I just bought a Dell Axim X51V, which I like other than the fact that the new 4.1 release of Activesync "breaks" Nortel VPN connections --- ---and--- It seems as if pocket money 2006 is incompatible with WM 5.0. Anyone know if a fix is on the Microsoft drawing board? Kenny Hey Kenny, I'm having the same problem with my PPC 6700. Have you gotten anywhere on this? "Kenny" wrote: > I just bought a Dell Axim X51V, which I like other than the fact that the > new 4.1 release of Activesync "breaks" Nortel VPN connections --- > > ---and--...

Exchange 5.5 inside a Virtual Server
Has anyone successfully run Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Windows 2000 SP4 Server install that has been hosted inside the MS Virtual Server running on Windows 2003? Thanks. Mike Ober. On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:56:47 -0600, "Michael D. Ober" <obermd.@.alum.mit.edu.nospam> wrote: >Has anyone successfully run Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a Windows 2000 SP4 Server >install that has been hosted inside the MS Virtual Server running on Windows >2003? > >Thanks. >Mike Ober. > > Im sure it s possible, just not supported for a production system. ...

ADC: change CA frompointing to Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003
Hi, upgrading to Exchange 2003 I set up the ADC and within the connection agreement I choose one domain controller (with the GC) and the Exchange 5.5 server. After synchronizing I installed Exchange 2003. I read something, that after Exchange 2003 is installed and during the coexistence, it is recommended to change the ADC connection agreement: redirect from the Exchange 5.5 to the new Exchange 2003 server. So the connection agreement is connecting the domain controller and the Exchange 2003 server. Is that really necessary and what are the advantages ? Thanks for your comments. Rainer R...

Exch 5.5 & 2003 won't communicate
We are migrating to a new Exch2003 server on a new Server2003 installation. I'm able to move mailboxes between 5.5 and 2003 but can't send mail between the two servers. Exch2003 queues show the X400 the messages stuck in a folder. How should the messages move? Should there be a connector under routing groups to transport the messages? The documentation is not explicit in this area. ...

Calendar #5
I have two calendars in Outlook, one for my business appointments and one for my personal appointments. I have all the holidays until 2007 on my business calendar but can't get them to appear on my personal calendar. -- Jim, You'll need to copy them from the business calendar to the personal calendar. Switch the view on your business calendar folder to "By Category". The holidays will all appear in the Holiday category. Select all items, then right-click and drag them to the personal calendar folder and drop. Choose "Copy" from the popup menu. -- Jocelyn ...

My excel file is too large (5 mb) when it shouldn't be, why?
I have an excel file has ballooned in size for some reason. I have tried to copy all the cells and then used "paste special" to paste just the values and the file size doesn't reduce. I am copying numbers from an investment website into my spreadsheet and there don't appear to be any issues with the pasted cells but I suspect it is causing the file size expansion and very slow performance. I then deleted all the cells around by spreadsheet and it didn't help at all. All suggestions as to how I can fix this problem appreciated. Kenview If you do a Ctl-End, does...

Resource Scheduling #5
I am running Exchange 2003, with clients using Outlook 2003. I am trying to create a resource but keep getting the same error. After I create the new mailbox, I log onto the mailbox to configure it. When I click on "resource scheduling" it gives me the follwo error message: "This folder cannot be opened because there is a configuration problem on the server." Is there a setting i missed setting up the mailbox? What are you using to set up the resource scheduling? Outlook? If so, stop doing that, and download the Auto accept agent. It's free from Microsof...

5.5 to 2003 migration question
I currently have Win2003 Active Directory in a single domain running. Exchange 5.5 on a Windows NT box is the last remaining WinNT box on the network. If I put a test Win2003 server and do all the forestpreps, domainpreps and run the ADC and install a test copy of Exchange 2003 and I use one test mailbox on the 5.5 to move it, will this prevent me from moving the rest of the mailboxes and database to another Exchange setup that will be permanent later? Um...it depends by what you mean when you say 'another Exchange setup'. You should approach the Forest prep and domain prep...

Signature #5
Hello; We are running Outlook 2000 with Exchange 2000. The question is on the signature's. Is there a way to make it so that the signature gets applied on outgoing e-mails and not internal? Thanks Lee >Is there a way to make it >so that the signature gets applied on outgoing e-mails >and not internal? Not automatically, but it's easy enough to do manually with a modicum of personal discipline. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I don't sp...

exchange 2003 stuff left from 2000/5.5
I have just about finished the following migration. Installed ex2003 on a new server moved all mailboxes, public/system folders, etc. from an exchange cluster server - there were 2 in the cluster but one had been offline for several months. I then uninstalled exchange 2000 from the cluster servers and things seem fine. I still had the exchange 2000 virtual server left in the ESM. I then went to remove it and had found that there were a couple mailboxes left, and I am not sure how that could be since they never showed up in the storage groups on the old server. I deleted the mailboxes...

How to export permission DLs from Ex5.5 to Ex2K?
Hello, Can anyone suggest the best (or easiest) way to export several groups from Ex5.5 and import them into Ex2k, where both versions of Exchange are in the same Windows domain/AD but different Organizations? The lists in Ex5.5 are used only for permissions. Thanks, - Alan. http://support.microsoft.com/?id=261112 Then use CSVDE to import Nue "Alan" <bruguy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1156869439.273352.158310@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com... > Hello, > > Can anyone suggest the best (or easiest) way to export several groups > from Ex5.5 and import them ...