PDC crashed - Exchange wont start with BDC

Windows 2003 server standard environment

PDC crashed, looks like gone - backup/corrupt (of course)

BDC is up and running, workstations can login etc.

Exchange won't start - information store won't mount.... almost as if
exchange information in directory is gone....any suggestions?

is the DC that's up and running also a GC server?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
> Windows 2003 server standard environment
>
> PDC crashed, looks like gone - backup/corrupt (of course)
>
> BDC is up and running, workstations can login etc.
>
> Exchange won't start - information store won't mount.... almost as if
> exchange information in directory is gone....any suggestions?

0
sconkey (3059)
3/14/2007 5:02:05 PM
Yes

"Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
> is the DC that's up and running also a GC server?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>> Windows 2003 server standard environment
>>
>> PDC crashed, looks like gone - backup/corrupt (of course)
>>
>> BDC is up and running, workstations can login etc.
>>
>> Exchange won't start - information store won't mount.... almost as if
>> exchange information in directory is gone....any suggestions?

have you tried rebooting the Exchange server?

--

> Yes
>
> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> is the DC that's up and running also a GC server?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>>> Windows 2003 server standard environment
>>>
>>> PDC crashed, looks like gone - backup/corrupt (of course)
>>>
>>> BDC is up and running, workstations can login etc.
>>>
>>> Exchange won't start - information store won't mount.... almost as if
>>> exchange information in directory is gone....any suggestions?

0
sconkey (3059)
3/14/2007 5:37:22 PM
Yes  Information store and exchange system attendant, MTA stacks won't
start -

Is there away to re-install exchange into the directory without losing any
mailboxes?

> have you tried rebooting the Exchange server?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>> Yes
>>
>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> is the DC that's up and running also a GC server?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>>

>>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message

it would be better to find out what the actual problem is...please examine
your event logs for error messages...

--

> Yes  Information store and exchange system attendant, MTA stacks won't
> start -
>
> Is there away to re-install exchange into the directory without losing any
> mailboxes?
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> have you tried rebooting the Exchange server?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>>> Yes
>>>
>>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
sconkey (3059)
3/14/2007 5:48:07 PM
Is DSACCESS in auto discovery mode?

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
3/14/2007 5:51:42 PM
whichever the default is, I believe it's in auto discovery, where can I
check this?

on another note, the PDC was also the DNS server.

"Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
> Is DSACCESS in auto discovery mode?
>
> Oliver

so you have no functioning DNS?  That will be a problem...what are you
seeing in your event logs?  see this, too:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312859/en-us

--

> whichever the default is, I believe it's in auto discovery, where can I
> check this?
>
> on another note, the PDC was also the DNS server.
>
> "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Is DSACCESS in auto discovery mode?
>>
>> Oliver

0
sconkey (3059)
3/14/2007 6:21:40 PM
When on the exchange server, If i try to open active directory users and
computers, i get an error: naming information cannot be located because: the
specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

I've changed the setting for DNS for tcp/ip to go to the BDC (i made it a
DNS server)

if I then right click on AD and choose connect to domain controller, type in
the BDC, I get "domain controller is currently in domain.com, you are
currently addminstrating domain, do you want to administer domain.com using
"bdc name"

if i click yes, i can then see active directory information.

> so you have no functioning DNS?  That will be a problem...what are you
> seeing in your event logs?  see this, too:

> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>> whichever the default is, I believe it's in auto discovery, where can I
>> check this?
>>
>> on another note, the PDC was also the DNS server.
>>
>> "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> Is DSACCESS in auto discovery mode?
>>>
>>> Oliver

You need to have the BDC act as a GC, because Exchange 2003 relies heavily
on AD.  With out the GC you will not be able to mount you stores. You may
also need to seize the FSMO from the down PDC.

> When on the exchange server, If i try to open active directory users and
> computers, i get an error: naming information cannot be located because:
> the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
>
> I've changed the setting for DNS for tcp/ip to go to the BDC (i made it a
> DNS server)
>
> if I then right click on AD and choose connect to domain controller, type
> in the BDC, I get "domain controller is currently in domain.com, you are
> currently addminstrating domain, do you want to administer domain.com
> using "bdc name"
>
> if i click yes, i can then see active directory information.
>

> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>> so you have no functioning DNS?  That will be a problem...what are you
>> seeing in your event logs?  see this, too:

>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>>> whichever the default is, I believe it's in auto discovery, where can I
>>> check this?
>>>
>>> on another note, the PDC was also the DNS server.
>>>
>>> "Oliver Moazzezi" <o.moazzeziNO@SPAMfreenet.co.uk> wrote in message

0
nospam709 (49)
3/14/2007 7:32:09 PM
The BDC is set as a GC.  since the PDC is down I can't seize the fsmo

"IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
> You need to have the BDC act as a GC, because Exchange 2003 relies heavily
> on AD.  With out the GC you will not be able to mount you stores. You may
> also need to seize the FSMO from the down PDC.
>

> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>> When on the exchange server, If i try to open active directory users and
>> computers, i get an error: naming information cannot be located because:
>> the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
>>
>> I've changed the setting for DNS for tcp/ip to go to the BDC (i made it a
>> DNS server)
>>
>> if I then right click on AD and choose connect to domain controller, type
>> in the BDC, I get "domain controller is currently in domain.com, you are
>> currently addminstrating domain, do you want to administer domain.com
>> using "bdc name"
>>
>> if i click yes, i can then see active directory information.
>>

>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> so you have no functioning DNS?  That will be a problem...what are you
>>> seeing in your event logs?  see this, too:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312859/en-us
>>>
>>> --
>>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>>

>>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message

Try and mount your stores, if they still do not mount check the IS services.
If that service is not started is because the domain naming role is still on
the down PDC in which case follow this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223787/

Hope this works if you not, you may want to contact Microsoft.

> The BDC is set as a GC.  since the PDC is down I can't seize the fsmo
>
> "IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> You need to have the BDC act as a GC, because Exchange 2003 relies
>> heavily on AD.  With out the GC you will not be able to mount you stores.
>> You may also need to seize the FSMO from the down PDC.
>>

>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>>> When on the exchange server, If i try to open active directory users and
>>> computers, i get an error: naming information cannot be located because:
>>> the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
>>>
>>> I've changed the setting for DNS for tcp/ip to go to the BDC (i made it
>>> a DNS server)
>>>
>>> if I then right click on AD and choose connect to domain controller,
>>> type in the BDC, I get "domain controller is currently in domain.com,
>>> you are currently addminstrating domain, do you want to administer
>>> domain.com using "bdc name"
>>>
>>> if i click yes, i can then see active directory information.
>>>

>>> "Susan" <sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote in message

0
nospam709 (49)
3/14/2007 8:43:38 PM
Here is a better article if you are using Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504

> Try and mount your stores, if they still do not mount check the IS
> services. If that service is not started is because the domain naming role
> is still on the down PDC in which case follow this article.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223787/
>
> Hope this works if you not, you may want to contact Microsoft.
>
> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>> The BDC is set as a GC.  since the PDC is down I can't seize the fsmo
>>
>> "IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
>>> You need to have the BDC act as a GC, because Exchange 2003 relies
>>> heavily on AD.  With out the GC you will not be able to mount you
>>> stores. You may also need to seize the FSMO from the down PDC.
>>>

>>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message

0
nospam709 (49)
3/14/2007 8:51:56 PM
THANK YOU!!!  excuse the shouting but....thanks.  by forcing the BDC to
seize FSMO roles, exchange connected and is happy for the moment and doing
what it's supposed to do.  I'll have some cleaning up and reconfiguring to
prevent this from happening again but at least I can do it and not be
rushed.

I noticed also that I'm not to try to get the PDC back online, so will
format and install it as a new BDC and then transfer the roles properly back
later.

thanks for the suggestions.

> Here is a better article if you are using Windows Server 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504
>
> "IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> Try and mount your stores, if they still do not mount check the IS
>> services. If that service is not started is because the domain naming
>> role is still on the down PDC in which case follow this article.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223787/
>>
>> Hope this works if you not, you may want to contact Microsoft.
>>
>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message
>>> The BDC is set as a GC.  since the PDC is down I can't seize the fsmo
>>>
>>> "IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message

No problem glad I could help.

Since you have a AD domain you really do not need to transfer the roles
back, if everything is working fine you can leave the way it is and rebuild
the down domain controller to just ot  handle some of the logon request
load.

> THANK YOU!!!  excuse the shouting but....thanks.  by forcing the BDC to
> seize FSMO roles, exchange connected and is happy for the moment and doing
> what it's supposed to do.  I'll have some cleaning up and reconfiguring to
> prevent this from happening again but at least I can do it and not be
> rushed.
>
> I noticed also that I'm not to try to get the PDC back online, so will
> format and install it as a new BDC and then transfer the roles properly
> back later.
>
> thanks for the suggestions.
>

> "IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
>> Here is a better article if you are using Windows Server 2003
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255504
>>
>> "IT Geek" <nospam@noemail.com> wrote in message
>>> Try and mount your stores, if they still do not mount check the IS
>>> services. If that service is not started is because the domain naming
>>> role is still on the down PDC in which case follow this article.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223787/
>>>
>>> Hope this works if you not, you may want to contact Microsoft.
>>>
>>> "DavidH" <david_haskell@NOSPAMpleasekyzen.com> wrote in message

0
nospam709 (49)

Ghost Folders
I have migrated my 5.5 server to 2003. After configuring Backup Exec to back up the public folders, I received an error that the folder does not exist on two of these folders, "Everly" and "Internet Newsgroups". On checking further I find that these two folders are present on everyones Outlook 2003 session but they do not appear when I use the Exchange System Manager. I can't reomve the folders with any user account and I cannot find where there reside so that I can delete them. Does anyone know where I might find the folders? thanks, jON "Jon Rowlan&...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003?
When you purchase Exchange 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 User CAL's are you licensed to use Outlook 2003 on the client computers? I noticed they sent an Outlook 2003 CD with the server bundle but it requires a key. >-----Original Message----- >When you purchase Exchange 2003 Server and Exchange 2003 User CAL's are you >licensed to use Outlook 2003 on the client computers? I noticed they sent >an Outlook 2003 CD with the server bundle but it requires a key. > > > >. >No you are still required to purchase the office license. Or you can buy individu...

Exchange And Custom DNS zones
hi all! the thing is like this. we have a network team, that responsible for DNS at our organization. we want to convince the management, to give to us(AD,Exchange,PKI team) the control on the DNS. we Are going to deploy Exchange 2003 on the organization. the Network team, wants us to write the exchange servers to a custom zone named X.srv.y this zone do not correspond to our AD domain name which is FOFO this is a single label domain, and we added the neccesery Registry keys in order to make them support DDNS. Domain FOFO has an DNS Zone names FOFO, and only the DC's are written there. th...

Exchange 2003 Question #2
Dear all, I have a machine hosting the Windows 2003 Domain Controler (GC) and another machine (member domain controler) which has Exchange 2003 Installed. My question is, When I add new users in the Exchange box I get the add Email account wizard but when I add users in the GC machine there is no option for adding email account. How do I get the add Email Wizard in the GC machine? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. You need to install the Exchange System Manager on the Domain Controller, setup the Exchange setup select Custom and choose on to install the Exchange System Manager. -- Mark Fugat...

Changing web hosting company. Any change to Exchange needed?
Sorry for the newbie post. Our IT person left to buy a fast food franchise & we're a bit short on knowledge here for the time being. We are looking to change the company we host our website with. We also run Exchange off our own in-house server (here in the office). Will redirecting our Nameservers to the new hosting company have any effect on our e-mail processing? I guess I'm asking if our website hosting account is in any way linked to our Exchange processing or if there are any setting in Exchange that we need to update. I'm guessing not. This is probably super dum...

Control + C wont work
Does anyone know of a setting to enable/disable copying with contol + c For some reason it is not working for me. Thanks in advance -- WREFOR ----------------------------------------------------------------------- WREFORD's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2659 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39868 Is the worksheet protected -- swatsp0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- swatsp0p's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1510 View this th...

Exchange 5.5 <-> Exchange 2000 cannot rebuild ADC
I have two servers, one is Exchange 5.5, one is Exchange 2000. They are normally connected via the ADC. However, occasionally, these servers will lose sync, and the only previous recourse was a reboot, and a rebuilding of the ADC. Required a bit of extra "manpower", but it got the job done. So, we went through and tried it again to fix a problem, and now we cannot get the ADC back up. When I try to set the destination or source for the ADC to place/get information to/from the Exchange 5.5 system, I get the following error: "The Exchange server specified does not meet the...

Using Outlook to Access Exchange via AOL Dialup
Last Spring a customer of mine began experiencing regular problems attempting to access our institution's Exchange server via an AOL dialup connection. Ongoing research seems to confirm or at least compliment that there is a definite issue caused by AOL making some internal change. However, I can find no documented proof of this change online, or any explicit notice by AOL. In this customer's case, he uses AOL regularly to access his Exchange based e-mail and to synchronize. The logs indicate there are *constant* communication breakdowns almost every other minute, and he is only hi...

Recovery Store and Exchange Snaps
We have a NetApp Filer that we take snapshots with our Exchange system. This snaps both the Store and the logs, so we always have a clean point in time backup of our data. I want to use these snapshots as our backup system, just backup these snaps and discontinue using the individual mailbox backups. I have run tests to validate this will work but have run into problems. I reload a snap and place it in the store location and place the logs in the log location for the recovery group but when I mount the store it tells me I have an inconsistent DB and I need to fix it. So I end up doing a es...

Crash on splash screen...
....after "Optimizing font menu preformance..." every Office X application (Execl, Word) doesn't run and an error report premature close up. I've tried solutions written here http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/troubleshooting.html but doesn't works. Can I substitute system fonts with original cd system or how? Or the problem is with User's fonts? I think is something about fonts but I've compared with another workstation and there are the same fonts (under user/library/fonts and system/library/fonts). Other application works fine. I try to re-installe...

Many log file in Exchange
My Exchange 2003 is generating seven 5MB log files per minute. How to fix it? What are you comparing this to? Log files are generated for each transaction (e-mail) that Exchange processes. Are you sure that someone hasn't just sent an e-mail with a very large attachment? What do your queues look like in Exchange? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "Gary" <gary.uber@pearlabrasive.com> wrote in message news:38B1C1DC-E217-493A-B6F7-3F4652CEA4C1@microsoft.com... > My Exc...

Exchange Server Attachment Control
I have reviewed the numerous threads on attachments relating to Outlook and Exchange environments. Although I believe I understand my options I felt I would summarize my understanding and request input to make sure I'm not missing the forest for the trees. Environment: Exchange server 2003, mixed Outlook clients 2002, 2000 on XP and Win2K machines. Virus software Trend Micro mail scan. The issue pertains to the complete blocking of certain file extensions so client usage by direct execution or saving to disc is not possible. As I understand the matter, Exchange is not actually control...

Exchange Database Snapshot Technology
Hi Guys, I'm investigating different products that provide snapshot technology, basically, I'd like to take a couple snapshots of my exchange databases during the day onto a second server sitting on my LAN. Does anyone have any good pointers to some websites with info, or any product comparisons from different vendors. Any recommendations? Any help appreciated. Thanks, Dean On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 23:39:02 -0700, Deano <Deano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi Guys, > >I'm investigating different products that provide snapshot technology, >basically, I&...

owa login changed after installing sp2 on exchange 2003
G'day! on an SBS 2003 installed exchange sp2 2 days ago. now users cannot login to owa with username + password, but they have to use domainname/username. your help is appreciated. mike Try this article. How to configure Exchange Server 2003 so that users can log on to OWA without entering a domain name http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=903942 James Chong MCSE M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com ftp://mail.msexchange911.net/ mike wrote: > G'day! > > on an SBS 2003 installed exchange sp2 2 days ago. > now users cannot login to owa with user...

Black List in Exchange didn't remove!
We currently have the Message Filtering setup in Exchange 5.5. However, one of the addresses in the list we had needed to be removed, which we did but for some reason the e-mail is still getting blocked in Exchange. Any ideas???? Try stopping and restarting the SMTP service. "SUS Help" <bechtj@co.delaware.pa.us> wrote in message news:ee00YI1IFHA.3076@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > We currently have the Message Filtering setup in Exchange 5.5. However, > one > of the addresses in the list we had needed to be removed, which we did but > for some reason the e-mail is ...

Installer for DATA2.msi starts when outlook does
I have outlook in my start up menu and when I logon or later launch outlook the install shield starts and tells me to insert office 2000 disk. the file its looking for is DATA2.msi. can anyone tell me what to do to stop this? I run xp sp1, no major system changes since or recently before problem began. ...

Exchange 2003 problem after sp1 installation
After the sp1 installation users unable to access recent emails with both OWA and Outlook 2003! Somebody can help me please! Many thanks, Giampiero First, is this Exchange 2003 SP1 or Windows 2003 SP1? Can they access any of their messages? Or only recent (meaning what? the last few weeks? days?). This could be related to your antivirus software. Try stopping your antivirus software temporarily and see if that helps. I have seen E2K3 servers with Symantec Mail Security do this before. -- Jim McBee Web: http://www.somorita.com Blog: http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com Stuff: htt...

Windows Server 2003 SP1 and Exchange Server 2003 SP2
I am preparing to install both these service packs. I have Dell servers/san, and run an active/passive cluster. I have the Enterprise Ed. of Windows Server 2003. Has anyone had trouble with these service packs in relation to Exchange, clusters, Dell hardware or trouble between the two service packs working with each other. I can call Dell for support on their products, but was especially nervous about the cluster and Exchange. Would you do one server, and then intentionally delay the 2nd to test the water, or is it best to keep clustered Exchange servers in sync. Any advice apprecia...

Access to public folders from exchange system manager
Hi When using Exchange system manager to access and manage our public folders, we get the following message, error c1030af4, http error 502. Clients can access the folders from within outlook 2000, but we have no access via OWA. Does anyone have any ideas Hey, Check the public folder settings in the IIS. It can be a security error. Razza "designled" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C6DBE83-692D-4242-9923-C48410460DCE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > When using Exchange system manager to access and manage our public folders, we get the follo...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003
I have exchange 2003 working find against an outlook 2002 client. However, I cannot get it working against the outlook 2003 client. I am running Outlook 2003 Beta 2 with the latest refresh. The error I get is it cannot find the Exchange Server. Outlook Web client works fine. The Outlook 2002 client works fine. Any possible hints to look for? Thanks Can you ping the exchange server by name? Have you tried using a Hosts file? Delete and recreate the profile? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Having searched the archiv...

Error starting Outlook 2000
Every time I go to start up Outlook, I get an error box that says "warning opening "untitled". Inside the box it goes to explain: "the form for this item has not been registered in this folder or in your company's forms library. Because this item contains macros, which could contain a virus harmful to your computer, you may not want to run the macros" I think have a choice of "disable macros" or "enable macros". Even if I enable them, I still get this msg each time I start Outlook. I have no attachments in my inbox, and I deleted the...

Start to Inbox instead of Outlook Today
I have the customization set to start with outlook today (went through the whole "regedit") and every time I open Outlook 2000 it comes up with the Inbox instead. Any suggestions to make it do what it's supposed to?? On Tue, 18 May 2004 14:31:12 -0700, "Michele" <rufflesrae@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have the customization set to start with outlook today >(went through the whole "regedit") and every time I open >Outlook 2000 it comes up with the Inbox instead. Any >suggestions to make it do what it's supposed to?? TOOLS:OPTIONS:OTHER...

Strange SMTP problem w/ exchange 2000
This is a strange problem that has me pulling out my hair! Exchange has SP3 and all hotfixes running on win2k server SP4. The problem so far is limited to just two email address. These email addresses cannot receive email from the internet when the address is entered on the To: line. If the address is put on the CC or BCC line then the email is received. I added another SMTP address to each user account and that address works fine. I shut down the anti-virus program but still have same problem. I used the exchange message tracking to see if the messages are being received by s...

Exchange 2003 adprep question....Urgent
I currently have a Windows 2000 Server which is a domain controller, and is also running Exchange Server 2003. I'm going to be adding a new Windows 2003 Server (which will also be a domain controller), and will be migrating the existing Exchange Server 2003 to the new server. My question is in the adprep process.... From the research I've done, it appears I should be able to just run the adprep commands on the existing Windows 2000 box, dcpromo the new Windows 2003 Server, install Exchange 2003 on the new server, migrate the mailboxes, and perform the procedure in KB822931 to remove...

Office 2004 11.1.0 Update does not start
I am running Office 2004 on a iMAC G5, OS 10.4.1 I downloaded Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Service Pack 1 (11.1.0) from Mactopia. When I tried to update Office 2004 the update program would not run. It gave the error message: "Office 2004 11.1.0 update could not locate the correct version of Office on your machine." Office 2004 is in the Applications folder at the root of the Mac HD. Any suggestions on how to get the update to run? Solution found. Update 11.1.0 and update 11.1.1 were previously run and therefore not needed. ...