Passwords #2

I want users to have to put in a password when they open outlook.  I have
selected the check box on the outlook settings to have it prompt for a
password.  When it prompts for the password it wants to authenticate to the
exchange server and not with active directory.  Am I forgetting something?
0
Tbaker (4)

You can't authenticate to Exchange - Exchange doesn't have the capability to
do so.  You may see the Exchange server listed, but rest assured, the
authentication is taking place with Active Directory.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Tbaker" <Tbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want users to have to put in a password when they open outlook.  I have
> selected the check box on the outlook settings to have it prompt for a
> password.  When it prompts for the password it wants to authenticate to
> the
> exchange server and not with active directory.  Am I forgetting something?

0
Ben
3/2/2005 3:16:43 PM
That is what I assumed, however when I enter the username and password it
comes back with the exchange/ username  and password prompt.  I keep putting
the username and password and it never authenticates.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> You can't authenticate to Exchange - Exchange doesn't have the capability to
> do so.  You may see the Exchange server listed, but rest assured, the
> authentication is taking place with Active Directory.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "Tbaker" <Tbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want users to have to put in a password when they open outlook.  I have
> > selected the check box on the outlook settings to have it prompt for a
> > password.  When it prompts for the password it wants to authenticate to
> > the
> > exchange server and not with active directory.  Am I forgetting something?

0
Tbaker (4)
3/2/2005 3:25:04 PM
Try putting in domain\username and password.  Sounds like it is trying to
authenticate agains the Exchange server local SAM database (but not Exchange
itself)

--

> That is what I assumed, however when I enter the username and password it
> comes back with the exchange/ username  and password prompt.  I keep
> putting
> the username and password and it never authenticates.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You can't authenticate to Exchange - Exchange doesn't have the capability
>> do so.  You may see the Exchange server listed, but rest assured, the
>> authentication is taking place with Active Directory.
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>

>> "Tbaker" <Tbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I want users to have to put in a password when they open outlook.  I
>> >have
>> > selected the check box on the outlook settings to have it prompt for a
>> > password.  When it prompts for the password it wants to authenticate to
>> > the
>> > exchange server and not with active directory.  Am I forgetting
>> > something?

0
Ben
3/2/2005 3:33:09 PM
Thank You.  That did it.  The funny thing is that you can press cancel and
still access everything in outlook.  I guess people will have to learn to
lock the computers.
Thanks again.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> Try putting in domain\username and password.  Sounds like it is trying to
> authenticate agains the Exchange server local SAM database (but not Exchange
> itself)
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "Tbaker" <Tbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That is what I assumed, however when I enter the username and password it
> > comes back with the exchange/ username  and password prompt.  I keep
> > putting
> > the username and password and it never authenticates.
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> You can't authenticate to Exchange - Exchange doesn't have the capability
> >> do so.  You may see the Exchange server listed, but rest assured, the
> >> authentication is taking place with Active Directory.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >>

> >> "Tbaker" <Tbaker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message