OWA with 2 exchange 2003 servers

I have 2 sites one of the sites handles all of the incoming/outgoing external
mail. I need to allow the 2nd site to be able to use owa from the first site.
both are exchange 2003. we only have external address for this so both can't
have seperate addresses.
0
Ed4190 (308)

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:31:27 -0800, "Ed"
<Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have 2 sites one of the sites handles all of the incoming/outgoing external
>mail. I need to allow the 2nd site to be able to use owa from the first site.
>both are exchange 2003. we only have external address for this so both can't
>have seperate addresses.

You can't have two mailbox servers and configure them to be OWA
servers for the other. You need to configure a fresh, 3rd server as an
Exchange Front End server. Giving this server the public address
allows you to hit this box and access OWA on any Back End server in
your infrastructure.
Also, using this 3rd server as the smtp gateway allows you to
efficiently use your anti spam licences on one box rather than on the
two licences that you probably have right now.
0
mark7219 (5666)
11/16/2004 11:22:24 AM
when I first came here they had exchange 5.5 in maryland handling all
incoming and out going email to the outside world, it also was the only owa
server for all 3 of our sites. I would like the maryland exchange 2003 server
to handle all of the owa stuff for our company. we have 3 locations all of
them have exchange 2003. please advise

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:31:27 -0800, "Ed"
> <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have 2 sites one of the sites handles all of the incoming/outgoing external
> >mail. I need to allow the 2nd site to be able to use owa from the first site.
> >both are exchange 2003. we only have external address for this so both can't
> >have seperate addresses.
>
> You can't have two mailbox servers and configure them to be OWA
> servers for the other. You need to configure a fresh, 3rd server as an
> Exchange Front End server. Giving this server the public address
> allows you to hit this box and access OWA on any Back End server in
> your infrastructure.
> Also, using this 3rd server as the smtp gateway allows you to
> efficiently use your anti spam licences on one box rather than on the
> two licences that you probably have right now.

0
Ed4190 (308)
11/16/2004 1:48:03 PM
I just went through this in a testing environment as we had considered
putting it in place.  The earlier response was correct, you would have to set
up the front end/back end configuration.  I found a good white paper on
setting it up and it worked well after a couple of kinks were worked out.  A
couple of major issues:  the front end server cannot house any mailboxes any
more and must be an Enterprise server (an expensive upgrade for a small
company like mine).  But it was cool how you'd log on to OWA at the front end
server and it would do a SSO and transfer to whatever back end server houses
that persons mail.  And the URL stayed as the front end server's.  Worked
well in testing...if you want the white paper, email me.

"Ed" wrote:

> when I first came here they had exchange 5.5 in maryland handling all
> incoming and out going email to the outside world, it also was the only owa
> server for all 3 of our sites. I would like the maryland exchange 2003 server
> to handle all of the owa stuff for our company. we have 3 locations all of
> them have exchange 2003. please advise
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 18:31:27 -0800, "Ed"
> > <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have 2 sites one of the sites handles all of the incoming/outgoing external
> > >mail. I need to allow the 2nd site to be able to use owa from the first site.
> > >both are exchange 2003. we only have external address for this so both can't
> > >have seperate addresses.
> >
> > You can't have two mailbox servers and configure them to be OWA
> > servers for the other. You need to configure a fresh, 3rd server as an
> > Exchange Front End server. Giving this server the public address
> > allows you to hit this box and access OWA on any Back End server in
> > your infrastructure.
> > Also, using this 3rd server as the smtp gateway allows you to
> > efficiently use your anti spam licences on one box rather than on the
> > two licences that you probably have right now.

In E2K3 Front-Ends does not need to be "Enterprise Edition" (actually
Advanced Edition in 2003) compared to E2K.

Best regards,
Johan Rydin

"JDieffenbacher" <JDieffenbacher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just went through this in a testing environment as we had considered
> putting it in place.  The earlier response was correct, you would have to
> set
> up the front end/back end configuration.  I found a good white paper on
> setting it up and it worked well after a couple of kinks were worked out.
> couple of major issues:  the front end server cannot house any mailboxes
> any
> more and must be an Enterprise server (an expensive upgrade for a small
> company like mine).  But it was cool how you'd log on to OWA at the front
> end
> server and it would do a SSO and transfer to whatever back end server
> houses
> that persons mail.  And the URL stayed as the front end server's.  Worked
> well in testing...if you want the white paper, email me.
>
> "Ed" wrote:
>
>> when I first came here they had exchange 5.5 in maryland handling all
>> incoming and out going email to the outside world, it also was the only
>> owa
>> server for all 3 of our sites. I would like the maryland exchange 2003
>> server
>> to handle all of the owa stuff for our company. we have 3 locations all
>> of
>> them have exchange 2003. please advise
>>
>> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

>> > You can't have two mailbox servers and configure them to be OWA
>> > servers for the other. You need to configure a fresh, 3rd server as an
>> > Exchange Front End server. Giving this server the public address
>> > allows you to hit this box and access OWA on any Back End server in
>> > your infrastructure.
>> > Also, using this 3rd server as the smtp gateway allows you to
>> > efficiently use your anti spam licences on one box rather than on the
>> > two licences that you probably have right now.

0
na1006 (31)

More Columns #2

OWA issue with Public Folders
Hiya. Need help with this issue... I have a user who is trying to respond or forward any messages that's inside a public folder when she's connected from home. Only thing I can find on this is inside the WA's help menu but it's of little use. all it says is that you need to have a front-end server which we do. I have no clue what her connection at home is like (dialup ... is that still around?! or broadband). I do know that web access does work from Firefox too. Would this be a browser issue or is it something with her side of outlook web access side? We're running...

Reporting from Project Server

owa cant open ppt attachments

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Linking files 2 ways

Goal Seek #2

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Contacts in Exchange #2

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary