OWA stopped working today - help!

Hello All,

We use Exchange 2003 SP1 front-end + back-end topology in Exchange native
mode. Front-end is running OWA and RPC over HTTPS. Certificate is installed,
SSL is required. Domain controller is W2K3 in mixed mode. Both OWA and RPC
over HTTPS were working fine.

Yesterday night we have updated our servers with some latest patches
(including .Net Framework SP1) - this is the only change I can think of.
During the night, front-end was reporting errors 9153 (MSExchangeSA -
General) in Application log: "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported
an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification."
In the morning, users complained that OWA stopped working. We have rebooted
the front-end with no success (though, error messages stopped appearing, so
DS access seemed to be normalized).
OWA error message is: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable.

We have re-created the OWA folders in IIS following Q883380, with no effect.
We have checked versions and re-registered OLE DB libraries, with no effect.

There are no errors in any of the logs. All services are started normally.
Server (svchost.exe) is listening on port 443 (well, it is obvious,
otherwise we wouldn't get 503). RPC over HTTPS on the same servers is
working normally.

What is this problem? Please help!!!

Thanks in advance,
Boris

0
msexpert (42)

I have the same issue, must be an update I think.

Hope someone knows a fix

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:21:36 -0700, "Boris Lokhvitsky"
<msexpert@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello All,
>
>We use Exchange 2003 SP1 front-end + back-end topology in Exchange native
>mode. Front-end is running OWA and RPC over HTTPS. Certificate is installed,
>SSL is required. Domain controller is W2K3 in mixed mode. Both OWA and RPC
>over HTTPS were working fine.
>
>Yesterday night we have updated our servers with some latest patches
>(including .Net Framework SP1) - this is the only change I can think of.
>During the night, front-end was reporting errors 9153 (MSExchangeSA -
>General) in Application log: "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported
>an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification."
>In the morning, users complained that OWA stopped working. We have rebooted
>the front-end with no success (though, error messages stopped appearing, so
>DS access seemed to be normalized).
>OWA error message is: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable.
>
>We have re-created the OWA folders in IIS following Q883380, with no effect.
>We have checked versions and re-registered OLE DB libraries, with no effect.
>
>There are no errors in any of the logs. All services are started normally.
>Server (svchost.exe) is listening on port 443 (well, it is obvious,
>otherwise we wouldn't get 503). RPC over HTTPS on the same servers is
>working normally.
>
>What is this problem? Please help!!!
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Boris

0
newsATianhutty
9/24/2004 11:07:12 PM
I would uninstall the update, see what's happening (theoretically it should
work again), reply the updates 1 by 1 and look where it's failing...

"newsATianhutty.karoo.co.uk" wrote:

> I have the same issue, must be an update I think.
>

> Hope someone knows a fix
>

> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:21:36 -0700, "Boris Lokhvitsky"
> <msexpert@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello All,
> >
> >We use Exchange 2003 SP1 front-end + back-end topology in Exchange native
> >mode. Front-end is running OWA and RPC over HTTPS. Certificate is installed,
> >SSL is required. Domain controller is W2K3 in mixed mode. Both OWA and RPC
> >over HTTPS were working fine.
> >
> >Yesterday night we have updated our servers with some latest patches
> >(including .Net Framework SP1) - this is the only change I can think of.
> >During the night, front-end was reporting errors 9153 (MSExchangeSA -
> >General) in Application log: "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported
> >an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification."
> >In the morning, users complained that OWA stopped working. We have rebooted
> >the front-end with no success (though, error messages stopped appearing, so
> >DS access seemed to be normalized).
> >OWA error message is: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable.
> >
> >We have re-created the OWA folders in IIS following Q883380, with no effect.
> >We have checked versions and re-registered OLE DB libraries, with no effect.
> >
> >There are no errors in any of the logs. All services are started normally.
> >Server (svchost.exe) is listening on port 443 (well, it is obvious,
> >otherwise we wouldn't get 503). RPC over HTTPS on the same servers is
> >working normally.
> >
> >What is this problem? Please help!!!
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Boris

0
MichelBoks (46)
9/25/2004 7:29:01 PM
Well as if by Magic without me doing anything, its working again!

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 12:29:01 -0700, "Michel Boks"
<MichelBoks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I would uninstall the update, see what's happening (theoretically it should
>work again), reply the updates 1 by 1 and look where it's failing...
>

>"newsATianhutty.karoo.co.uk" wrote:
>
>> I have the same issue, must be an update I think.
>>

>> Hope someone knows a fix
>>

>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 15:21:36 -0700, "Boris Lokhvitsky"
>> <msexpert@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hello All,
>> >
>> >We use Exchange 2003 SP1 front-end + back-end topology in Exchange native
>> >mode. Front-end is running OWA and RPC over HTTPS. Certificate is installed,
>> >SSL is required. Domain controller is W2K3 in mixed mode. Both OWA and RPC
>> >over HTTPS were working fine.
>> >
>> >Yesterday night we have updated our servers with some latest patches
>> >(including .Net Framework SP1) - this is the only change I can think of.
>> >During the night, front-end was reporting errors 9153 (MSExchangeSA -
>> >General) in Application log: "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported
>> >an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification."
>> >In the morning, users complained that OWA stopped working. We have rebooted
>> >the front-end with no success (though, error messages stopped appearing, so
>> >DS access seemed to be normalized).
>> >OWA error message is: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable.
>> >
>> >We have re-created the OWA folders in IIS following Q883380, with no effect.
>> >We have checked versions and re-registered OLE DB libraries, with no effect.
>> >
>> >There are no errors in any of the logs. All services are started normally.
>> >Server (svchost.exe) is listening on port 443 (well, it is obvious,
>> >otherwise we wouldn't get 503). RPC over HTTPS on the same servers is
>> >working normally.
>> >
>> >What is this problem? Please help!!!
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance,
>> >Boris

0
newsATianhutty
9/25/2004 9:38:24 PM
Hi Boris,

Did you re installed the SP1 on the front end first and on the back end
later? are you using IIS 5.0 or 6.0 did you try to remove the ssl
certificate and try to access owa without SSL (this is for troubleshooting).

Best regards,

"Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> We use Exchange 2003 SP1 front-end + back-end topology in Exchange native
> mode. Front-end is running OWA and RPC over HTTPS. Certificate is
> installed,
> SSL is required. Domain controller is W2K3 in mixed mode. Both OWA and RPC
> over HTTPS were working fine.
>
> Yesterday night we have updated our servers with some latest patches
> (including .Net Framework SP1) - this is the only change I can think of.
> During the night, front-end was reporting errors 9153 (MSExchangeSA -
> General) in Application log: "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant reported
> an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification."
> In the morning, users complained that OWA stopped working. We have
> rebooted
> the front-end with no success (though, error messages stopped appearing,
> so
> DS access seemed to be normalized).
> OWA error message is: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable.
>
> We have re-created the OWA folders in IIS following Q883380, with no
> effect.
> We have checked versions and re-registered OLE DB libraries, with no
> effect.
>
> There are no errors in any of the logs. All services are started normally.
> Server (svchost.exe) is listening on port 443 (well, it is obvious,
> otherwise we wouldn't get 503). RPC over HTTPS on the same servers is
> working normally.
>
> What is this problem? Please help!!!
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Boris

0
eestevez (1)
9/27/2004 4:02:37 PM
OK, thanks everybody who tried to help. Problem solved.

In my case, this was the update that was guilty. We have installed update on
both front-end and back-end servers, but delayed restart of the back-end
until EOB since lots of users were connected. After I restarted the back-end
server, OWA started working normally.

Updates installed were: .Net Framework SP1 and GDI+ fix. For soem reason I
think the second one was guilty.

Best regards to everybody,
Boris

"Emiliano G. Estevez" <eestevez@sistran.com.ar> wrote in message
> Hi Boris,
>
> Did you re installed the SP1 on the front end first and on the back end
> later? are you using IIS 5.0 or 6.0 did you try to remove the ssl
> certificate and try to access owa without SSL (this is for
troubleshooting).

> Best regards,
>

> "Boris Lokhvitsky" <msexpert@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello All,
> >
> > We use Exchange 2003 SP1 front-end + back-end topology in Exchange
native
> > mode. Front-end is running OWA and RPC over HTTPS. Certificate is
> > installed,
> > SSL is required. Domain controller is W2K3 in mixed mode. Both OWA and
RPC
> > over HTTPS were working fine.
> >
> > Yesterday night we have updated our servers with some latest patches
> > (including .Net Framework SP1) - this is the only change I can think of.
> > During the night, front-end was reporting errors 9153 (MSExchangeSA -
> > General) in Application log: "Microsoft Exchange System Attendant
reported
> > an error '0xc0072030' when setting DS notification."
> > In the morning, users complained that OWA stopped working. We have
> > rebooted
> > the front-end with no success (though, error messages stopped appearing,
> > so
> > DS access seemed to be normalized).
> > OWA error message is: HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable.
> >
> > We have re-created the OWA folders in IIS following Q883380, with no
> > effect.
> > We have checked versions and re-registered OLE DB libraries, with no
> > effect.
> >
> > There are no errors in any of the logs. All services are started
normally.
> > Server (svchost.exe) is listening on port 443 (well, it is obvious,
> > otherwise we wouldn't get 503). RPC over HTTPS on the same servers is
> > working normally.
> >
> > What is this problem? Please help!!!
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Boris

0
msexpert (42)

backup file won't work!!
OK, now I've really had it! This is my last resort! Several years ago, while using Money 97, our computer crashed. We had backed up every time we used money, so I thought we were OK. However, we could never get the backup file to pull up after fixing the computer and everything was lost. I vowed that this would not happen again, so I tried backing up on a ZIP disk instead, and then on CDs. I also got on this newsgroup and got the advice that I needed to first copy the backup file onto the desktop and open it from there. I tried doing that with the old program, and it seeme...

Excel and some disappeared sheets

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

"Customize Outlook Today" does not respond
The "Customize Outlook Today" button no longer functions. I use Outlook 2000 on two separate computers. the Customize feature works on neither one. They both formerly functioned perfectly. I have noted a few other postings with the same issue, but there have been no responses. Is it possible that one of the updates to Outlook 2000 has rendered this feature inoperable? Since I keep my programs up to date, that is the only guess I have. I have the exact same problem on more than one pc. I have been searching for an answer all day. I just decided to start using the opti...

Data migration - Adventure Works

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

Help With Margin Formula

GETPIVOTDATA data_field help

exclude administrator login to OWA ?
Is it possible to prevent the Domain Administrator account (which has a mailbox) from being able to log on to OWA from outside ? This would be meant as a security precaution. Exch 2000, AD 2003. Thanks. On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 19:51:28 GMT, "JAQK" <johnny@tamtam.com> wrote: >Is it possible to prevent the Domain Administrator account (which has a >mailbox) from being able to log on to OWA from outside ? > >This would be meant as a security precaution. > >Exch 2000, AD 2003. > > > >Thanks. > > > In ADU&C on the Exchange server g...

Help!!!!
I am running Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 sp6a. Norton Anti- virus deleted my edb.log file. I have done an on-line restore with Arcserve 2000 and now my directory service won't start. getting 1166 internal processing error. I have been to support and could find anything that helped. Thanks in advance You may want to run eseutil /mh <drive and path to your dir.edb and include the dir.edb > c:\edb.dmp. Find this file and see if your dir is also inconsistent. If so you will need to restore your dir. -- Nan Bennett (MSFT) Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail...

Bank One Download is not working

help #2

problem opening up program/file

Credit Card Downloading HELP!
I had 2005 and this worked ok but not on 2006. I download my 20 credit card transactions in QIF format. Money says it has 20 to review so I click that and they simply do not appear in the register! The the heck?!? I've tried quite a few things already to no avail. Deleted history and temp, deleted the statement and previous transactions/statements, repaired my money file a few times, tried to import in a different file but it just doesn't show up. Suggestions please...tia In microsoft.public.money, lucas.allen@gmail.com wrote: >I had 2005 and this worked ok but not on 2006....

Errror Help: character ' ', hexadecimal value 0x2 is illegal in xml documents
what does this error mean? how can i fix this? thanks, raj * raj wrote in microsoft.public.dotnet.xml: >what does this error mean? how can i fix this? You have an octet 0x02 or perhaps a character reference &#x02; in the document. This is not allowed in XML 1.0; the latter is allowed in XML 1.1 but your version of the .NET framework probably does not support that, and most likely you have not declared this version either. In other words, your document includes random binary data and is there- fore not an XML document. You have to correct the document before you can successfully...

mail gateway help
we have barracuda for our mail firewall but you can send mail out through it. Where do you normally point your exchange server to send mail out? the internet router the pix firewall ? "=?Utf-8?B?RWRkaWU=?=" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:EF923D10-571B-42D0-85E3-D45CB9FC2A1C@microsoft.com: > we have barracuda for our mail firewall but you can send mail out > through it. Where do you normally point your exchange server to send > mail out? the internet router the pix firewall ? > What exactly is your question? What version of exchange are you us...

Where is "Help" located in 2007?
I cannot find the "Help" section in Word 2007. Where can I find it? Thank you! Click the question mark ? top right of the Word window or press F1 which is the universal help call. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "Todd" <Todd@discussion...

Outlook Today does not Customize
Hello, I have WinXP home edition with Office 2000 installed. When I am in Outlook and want to customize the "Outlook Today" screen it will not open the control panel, I can click on the "Customize Outlook Today" til I am blue in the face and it will not open...any suggestions or is this the way it is? Thanks, Kelly OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discu...

MFC classes DISAPPEAR!!!!help
could someone please help me: many MFC classes almost always disappear from class browser window!!! while their files continue to be properly listed in the file browser window thanks! Bianca Try deleting the clw file and let the class wizard recreate it for you. If that doesnt help also try deleting the opt and ncb files. Or else try upgrading to Everett :-) -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "BIANCA" <bbb_1973@virgilio.it> wrote in message news:d2504dc9.0308140037.699a9ae8@posting.google.com... > could someone please help me: > many MFC classes almost always disappear from...