OWA-SSL: Should I use 3rd party certificate or create own CA

My partner and I are debating the use of a third party certificate (like
Verisign) or the creation of our own Certificate Authority. We want our users
to access OWA via ssl.

I thought we should use third part certs because then we wouldn't have to
worry about browsers having or not having our public key. I thought we would
have to install that key on each machine that someone wanted to use to access
OWA.

My partner thinks that we could create our own CA using Windows 2000 server
and create the certs. He believes that IE would already have the public key
for certs created by our MS CA.

Could someone explain why I am right or he is right.

Don't worry. No egos will get bruised here.

Thanks,
Pepe
0
pepe (11)

I use certificate server for 2003 and have our OWA clients come in using SSL
with no issues.  The only thing that will happen is the client's browser
(afaik all ours are IE) display a warning that the Certificate is not from a
trusted Authority.  Press Yes to Continue.

Then in they go to OWA and all is encyrpted. I just made sure our users knew
to expect this prior to accessing owa and have had no issues.  They are
still able to view the certificate, it just says our company name on it etc.
I think for corporate users this isn't a big issue, if you had the general
public coming in to your site, then it would probably ease their minds if
the certificate was from a trusted source such as VeriSign or Thwart (sp?)
etc.

tsc

"pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My partner and I are debating the use of a third party certificate (like
> Verisign) or the creation of our own Certificate Authority. We want our
> users
> to access OWA via ssl.
>
> I thought we should use third part certs because then we wouldn't have to
> worry about browsers having or not having our public key. I thought we
> would
> have to install that key on each machine that someone wanted to use to
> access
> OWA.
>
> My partner thinks that we could create our own CA using Windows 2000
> server
> and create the certs. He believes that IE would already have the public
> key
> for certs created by our MS CA.
>
> Could someone explain why I am right or he is right.
>
> Don't worry. No egos will get bruised here.
>
> Thanks,
> Pepe

I agree.  As long as you can train your users and tell them that the popup
dialog box is expected and what to do I would use my own, but if you have a
lot of people to train I would go third party just so you don't have to
worry about the training issue.  After all a cert is only a few hundred
dollars, training never ends as new people come and go.  The question to me
then becomes "how much do you value your time at?"

Paul

"TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
> I use certificate server for 2003 and have our OWA clients come in using
SSL
> with no issues.  The only thing that will happen is the client's browser
> (afaik all ours are IE) display a warning that the Certificate is not from
> trusted Authority.  Press Yes to Continue.
>
> Then in they go to OWA and all is encyrpted. I just made sure our users
knew
> to expect this prior to accessing owa and have had no issues.  They are
> still able to view the certificate, it just says our company name on it
etc.
> I think for corporate users this isn't a big issue, if you had the general
> public coming in to your site, then it would probably ease their minds if
> the certificate was from a trusted source such as VeriSign or Thwart (sp?)
> etc.
>
> tsc
>

> "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My partner and I are debating the use of a third party certificate (like
> > Verisign) or the creation of our own Certificate Authority. We want our
> > users
> > to access OWA via ssl.
> >
> > I thought we should use third part certs because then we wouldn't have
> > worry about browsers having or not having our public key. I thought we
> > would
> > have to install that key on each machine that someone wanted to use to
> > access
> > OWA.
> >
> > My partner thinks that we could create our own CA using Windows 2000
> > server
> > and create the certs. He believes that IE would already have the public
> > key
> > for certs created by our MS CA.
> >
> > Could someone explain why I am right or he is right.
> >
> > Don't worry. No egos will get bruised here.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Pepe

0
pauls2796 (15)
12/2/2004 7:57:24 PM
Even thought it proves me wrong:(

Thank you for your responses :)

"Paul Stephenson" wrote:

> I agree.  As long as you can train your users and tell them that the popup
> dialog box is expected and what to do I would use my own, but if you have a
> lot of people to train I would go third party just so you don't have to
> worry about the training issue.  After all a cert is only a few hundred
> dollars, training never ends as new people come and go.  The question to me
> then becomes "how much do you value your time at?"
>
> Paul
>

> "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
> > I use certificate server for 2003 and have our OWA clients come in using
> SSL
> > with no issues.  The only thing that will happen is the client's browser
> > (afaik all ours are IE) display a warning that the Certificate is not from
> > trusted Authority.  Press Yes to Continue.
> >
> > Then in they go to OWA and all is encyrpted. I just made sure our users
> knew
> > to expect this prior to accessing owa and have had no issues.  They are
> > still able to view the certificate, it just says our company name on it
> etc.
> > I think for corporate users this isn't a big issue, if you had the general
> > public coming in to your site, then it would probably ease their minds if
> > the certificate was from a trusted source such as VeriSign or Thwart (sp?)
> > etc.
> >
> > tsc
> >

> > "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > My partner and I are debating the use of a third party certificate (like
> > > Verisign) or the creation of our own Certificate Authority. We want our
> > > users
> > > to access OWA via ssl.
> > >
> > > I thought we should use third part certs because then we wouldn't have
> > > worry about browsers having or not having our public key. I thought we
> > > would
> > > have to install that key on each machine that someone wanted to use to
> > > access
> > > OWA.
> > >
> > > My partner thinks that we could create our own CA using Windows 2000
> > > server
> > > and create the certs. He believes that IE would already have the public
> > > key
> > > for certs created by our MS CA.
> > >
> > > Could someone explain why I am right or he is right.
> > >
> > > Don't worry. No egos will get bruised here.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Pepe

0
pepe (11)
12/2/2004 8:19:06 PM
You can also get rid of that prompt by installing that self-created cert
into the Trusted Root Certification Authority in IE.  It works great if the
clients are using the same computers most of the time, but is a pain if they
will constantly be using different computers.

BTW - last time I checked, Thawte only charges ~180/yr for an SSL cert.
That's pretty cheap.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

> Even thought it proves me wrong:(
>
> Thank you for your responses :)
>

> "Paul Stephenson" wrote:
>
>> I agree.  As long as you can train your users and tell them that the
>> popup
>> dialog box is expected and what to do I would use my own, but if you have
>> lot of people to train I would go third party just so you don't have to
>> worry about the training issue.  After all a cert is only a few hundred
>> dollars, training never ends as new people come and go.  The question to
>> me
>> then becomes "how much do you value your time at?"
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
>> > I use certificate server for 2003 and have our OWA clients come in
>> > using
>> SSL
>> > with no issues.  The only thing that will happen is the client's
>> > browser
>> > (afaik all ours are IE) display a warning that the Certificate is not
>> > from
>> > trusted Authority.  Press Yes to Continue.
>> >
>> > Then in they go to OWA and all is encyrpted. I just made sure our users
>> knew
>> > to expect this prior to accessing owa and have had no issues.  They are
>> > still able to view the certificate, it just says our company name on it
>> etc.
>> > I think for corporate users this isn't a big issue, if you had the
>> > general
>> > public coming in to your site, then it would probably ease their minds
>> > if
>> > the certificate was from a trusted source such as VeriSign or Thwart
>> > (sp?)
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > tsc
>> >

>> > "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Ben
12/2/2004 9:09:19 PM
It's funny that you mentioned the point that we could install the
self-created cert into the trusted root in IE, because that's exactly why we
are not going to create our own. We have users that will use OWA from many
different computers. Many of these users don't work out of HQ and that would
make the prompt that much more troublesome to get rid of.

Thanks for the input.

Pepe
"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> You can also get rid of that prompt by installing that self-created cert
> into the Trusted Root Certification Authority in IE.  It works great if the
> clients are using the same computers most of the time, but is a pain if they
> will constantly be using different computers.
>
> BTW - last time I checked, Thawte only charges ~180/yr for an SSL cert.
> That's pretty cheap.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Even thought it proves me wrong:(
> >
> > Thank you for your responses :)
> >

> > "Paul Stephenson" wrote:
> >
> >> I agree.  As long as you can train your users and tell them that the
> >> popup
> >> dialog box is expected and what to do I would use my own, but if you have
> >> lot of people to train I would go third party just so you don't have to
> >> worry about the training issue.  After all a cert is only a few hundred
> >> dollars, training never ends as new people come and go.  The question to
> >> me
> >> then becomes "how much do you value your time at?"
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> >> "TheSingingCat" <meowmeowmeow@meowmeowmeowmeow.com> wrote in message
> >> SSL

> >> knew
> >> etc.

0
pepe (11)
12/2/2004 9:43:03 PM
Then just tell them to click yes and proceed anyhow, it's pretty straight
forward even for the most troubled end user ;)

> It's funny that you mentioned the point that we could install the
> self-created cert into the trusted root in IE, because that's exactly why
> we
> are not going to create our own. We have users that will use OWA from many
> different computers. Many of these users don't work out of HQ and that
> would
> make the prompt that much more troublesome to get rid of.
>
> Thanks for the input.

You haven't met our users!

"TheSingingCat" wrote:

> Then just tell them to click yes and proceed anyhow, it's pretty straight
> forward even for the most troubled end user ;)
>
> "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It's funny that you mentioned the point that we could install the
> > self-created cert into the trusted root in IE, because that's exactly why
> > we
> > are not going to create our own. We have users that will use OWA from many
> > different computers. Many of these users don't work out of HQ and that
> > would
> > make the prompt that much more troublesome to get rid of.
> >
> > Thanks for the input.

0
pepe (11)
12/2/2004 10:39:09 PM
In term of security; is the third party certificate more secure? if so, why?
> You haven't met our users!
>
> "TheSingingCat" wrote:
>
>> Then just tell them to click yes and proceed anyhow, it's pretty straight
>> forward even for the most troubled end user ;)
>>
>> "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It's funny that you mentioned the point that we could install the
>> > self-created cert into the trusted root in IE, because that's exactly
>> > why
>> > we
>> > are not going to create our own. We have users that will use OWA from
>> > many
>> > different computers. Many of these users don't work out of HQ and that
>> > would
>> > make the prompt that much more troublesome to get rid of.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the input.

0
kg_it_guy (21)
12/3/2004 6:00:32 PM
It is not more secure in terms of the encryption levels.  You either
generate a certificate from your own Certificate authority, or you have a
3rd party generate one from their certificate authority.

Where a 3rd party certificate is *viewed* as more secure is that they've
been in the certificate business for a long time.  Because of that, browsers
list their certificate authorities in the trusted root certificate
authorities.  That is the only basic difference.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Calvin" <kg_it_guy@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> In term of security; is the third party certificate more secure? if so,
> why?
> "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> You haven't met our users!
>>
>> "TheSingingCat" wrote:
>>
>>> Then just tell them to click yes and proceed anyhow, it's pretty
>>> straight
>>> forward even for the most troubled end user ;)
>>>
>>> "pepe" <pepe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Ben

jean-pierre.pepin@videotron.ca
jean-pierre.pepin@videotron.ca Bonjour Jean-Claude! J'esp�re que tu vas bien? Pas beaucoup de nouvelles de toi? Jean-Pierre Hi <jean-pierre.pepin@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:ewA92cALKHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > jean-pierre.pepin@videotron.ca > > > Bonjour Jean-Claude! > > J'esp�re que tu vas bien? > Pas beaucoup de nouvelles de toi? > > > Jean-Pierre > > > > ...

Permission to use object denied
I'm trying to use Excel 97 on an XP machine, this happens whenever I open a workbook with a macro. I believe this has something to do with XP's security, has anyone figured a way around it to make Excel 97 work in XP? -- reybie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ reybie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27856 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=473642 ...

Use the "mouse over" event to exclude a data point from a series
I'm relatively new to excel macros and would greatly appreciate any help. In an Excel scatter chart, if I move the mouse over a data point, a "tool-tip text" or a "hover text" appears. Is there a way to intercept this event programmatically to exclude the data point from the series and then have the chart re-drawn? Randall - I just wrote an article about chart events in Excel (mouse-overs, etc.), which doesn't tell you exactly how to exclude a point, but it can at least tell you which point it was, and some more detailed code could remove it. The article is in...

How do I create a form in Excel that I can send to be filled out?
I want to create a form in Excel that I can send out so people can fill it out electronically and then send it back to me. I need lines in the form and when I add lines I have to widen the column and then it messes up the previous wording. I know it can be done but not sure if I have to protect it, create a template (how do I do that), or lock some of the cells. Help! For lines have you considered simply bottom borders? i.e. wording in A1 bottom borders on B1:E1 Or lines drawn from the Drawing Toolbar. No need to widen any columns. Save the workbook and send it out...

can i create a school magazine with publisher?
i'm given a project to create a annual school magazine.....will publisher2003 help in this? any hints and solutions please? It can do the job but I'd check with the printer first and ask what file formats they accept. Specifically what kind of help do you want? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "gbt1000" <gbt1000@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7C38BB9A-358C-459A-AB0B-6C82ABBBB3C8@microsoft.com... > i'm given a project to create a annual school magazine.....will > publisher2003 > help in this? any hints and solutions plea...

Ignore the 'file in use message' when opening Excel
Hi all, I am scheduling an Excel workbook using the Scheduler Tool of Windows. It just calls an Excel workbook, which opens, does some autorun processing and closes again. This works well, except when I have excel already open. In that case another instance of Excel is opened (by the scheduler) and I get the "File in Use" popup stateing that my PERSONAL.XLS is locked for editing. And gives me a chance to cancel (button). A logical thing but unhandy in this context. Is there a way to ignore this message or to add an extra parameter to the call of the worksheet to preven...

Error Using NTBackup on Information Store
Could anyone point me in the direction to solve this error. Backup Status Operation: Backup Active backup destination: File Media name: "20060515.bkf created 5/15/2006 at 10:39 AM" Backup of "DELL-6450-4SK7B\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group" Backup set #1 on media #1 Backup description: "Set created 5/15/2006 at 10:39 AM" Media name: "20060515.bkf created 5/15/2006 at 10:39 AM" Backup Type: Normal Backup started on 5/15/2006 at 10:40 AM. Folder DELL-6450-4SK7B\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (DELL-6450-4S...

Detailed Sales Report using Report writer
Hi i am trying to prepare a Detailed Sales Report using Report writer with the following Detailes(Sales Person ID, Doc No, Date, Customer name, Item Number, Amount) and perform some calculations upon those those reports i would like to get and information if any one has done such a report ...

Using sp in SSRS
I have a stored procedure that is used in both our asp.net web pages and also as a dataset for an SSRS report. The asp.net page works fine but the SSRS report gives an error about "connecting to DataSource1". Do I need to grant permissions on the sp for the SSRS to use it? The web system is impersonating so I am guessing that is why it works. Thanks. -- David ...

create a flyer(halloween) with pictures and borders
Go here http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/default.aspx?lc=en-us Click "Special Occasions" in the categories, input Halloween in the search -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "irishgirl3178" <irishgirl3178@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6E358C99-45BB-48F1-A2DA-49B6444BB126@microsoft.com... > On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 07:35:05 -0700, "irishgirl3178" <irishgirl3178@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: I've done that every year. Blessed be, for sure... Oooooo...

How to set OWA 2007 as default email client
I was wondering if there is a way to set OWA 2007 as the default email client. Thanks http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/OWA-2003-Default-Mail-Client.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Prem" <premmetje@zonnet.nl> wrote in message news:1164205895.987833.218520@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... >I was wondering if there is a way to set OWA 2007 as the default email > client. > Thanks > Thank you, > http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/OWA-2003-...

Using GP 10 in Hungary
We have an office in the country of Hungary and before setting up GP 10, we would like to learn about any experiences and suggestions with this type of implemenation. ...

Read XML using XSD
Somebody gave me an XSD file to read a XML file. Can somebody give me an idea how to use this XSD file in C# to start reading XML files? Thanks, Ben Ben van Erp wrote: > Somebody gave me an XSD file to read a XML file. Can somebody give me an idea > how to use this XSD file in C# to start reading XML files? You can validate an XML document against an XSD schema. With .NET 2.0 use an XmlReader with the proper XmlReaderSettings. With .NET 1.x use an XmlValidatingReader. -- Martin Honnen --- MVP XML http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/ There are various ways. One way is to use a datase...

Problems inserting a formula ina acell using VBA
Hi All, I write this forum, trying to mfind a solution for a little problem I have wiht my Excel spreadsheet. I'm tryiing to insert a (not very) complex formula ina cell using the ".Formula" property of the cell, but it fails with a 1004 run-time error. When inserting a simple formula like the one in the example included with the excel-help it works Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Formula = "=$A$4+$A$10" but when trying ro to insert my own formula, it fails... Worksheets("Sheet1").Range("A1").Formula = "=IF(AH2=1;(AH1...

Purchase Order Create Error
I am using Store Operations Manager version 1.2.0154 on Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 and all posted hot-fixes. When creating a new Purchase Order, I am selecting: 1) Generate based on re-order information 2) Only items in the selected departments (and selecting one department) 3) Order from the primary supplier And then I click on OK. I am then receiving an error message: Store Operations Business Rules Error #-2147217833 The statement has been terminated. (Source: Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server) (SQL State: 01000) (NativeError: 36...

*Selective* restore using Files and Settings Transfer?
Before reinstalling XP from scratch on my seriously messed up system, I ran the Files and Settings Transfer wizard, but I haven't yet tried restring anything. The files I backed up separately anyway. I have reinstalled the programs I want to use now -- with the exception of the free-for-personal-use SecureZip Express that was made available a couple of years ago. When I try to reinstall it and it "calls home," it refuses to authenticate. PKWare's response to my tech support request is to say that the free version is no longer available and that I could get th...

Allow User to access hotmail through otlook using proxy
I have to setup outlook 6.0 for user hotmail account and that user has no direct internet. I have proxy through which i have to give this. I tried it in tools-->options-->Connections-->Internet Connection sharing--> (It open Internet properties of I.E connection TAB) in the connection tab --LAN setting --> proxy server -->i gave proxy IP. This all does not help as the error is proxy requires Authentication. How can i configure client somputer as he does not get error message and he is able to download email through outlook. I do not want to give direct internet...

modifying predefined page designs (or creating a variation of predefined page designs)
I have inserted a photo gallery using: INSERT / PAGE / PHOTOS / PHOTO GALLERY WITH LINKS. This generates a main gallery page with 12 images, each linked to a photo detail page. My problem is that I would like to modify the format of the photo detail pages--but preferably before inserting the photo gallery so I do not have to modify all 12 photo detail pages every time a gallery is added. I cannot find the photo detail page definition/template. Can it be modified? Can I create a modified version PHOTO GALLERY WITH LINKS based on the original? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks...

Problems with OWA permissions
I seem to be having some sort of problem with owa's permissions. Everytime that a user tries to logon, they get a standard logon box asking for the username and password. It's not the owa login screen. I've tried resetting the auth on exchange, excadmin, and exchweb to match the auth on a known working server. still no go. it always asks for the login pass with a popup box, not the owa. I've also checked to make sure that the document that exchweb/bin uses is OwaLogon.asp. like I siad, though. I have tried to copy all of the settings from a working server. Can anyone think of a...

How to kill a dialog box frm a class which has created by another
Hi , I am new to VC++ MFC programming. Can anybody help me? My application creates a pop-up dialog which has associated with the class called "CTakeBills". This basically displays a dialog box which has only Ok button and a disabled close button. There is a setTimer method in OnInitDialog() method of this class with a timeout of 250ms but there is no method called OnStopTimer or killTimer methods. I have another class called CCmdProcessor. My requirement is that i need to kill that dialog box programatically from this class(CCmdProcessor)which has been poped-up/created by anot...

enter # 12.00 for examples and excel use 12.00000028434000
This happens (frustratingly - because I cannot proof footing and crossfooting. It seems that Excel just adds in the extra #'3 after the .00. I will delete the number and rekey it and the extra decimals come again (albeit different #'s). I will delete the row and rekey the 12.00 again and yet I get something like 12.00000658745000 (different decimal number but same problem). Hi Bill Looks like you've taken the wrong option in format cells. Select all ( Ctrl - A ) if you wish to keep the same for the whole document or select those particular cells only, right click, format cells,...

What's the best way to find out if user is currently using mailbox ?
on Exch2000Sp3, I go to Systems Manager and I see mydomain\certain user mailbox. Last logoff time = blank. As an example, I compare my logoff information: my Outlook is currently opened but my logoff time = 10/07/04, 9:00AM Are those info reliable indicators of current mailbox activity ? Please advise. If policy allows, examine the sent items folder. -- regards, Michael Abbaticchio MVP for Microsoft Exchange Server http://mvps.org/exchange "Marlon Brown" <marlon_brown@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23%23LdPdMrEHA.4008@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > on Exch2000Sp...

Virtual SMTP Server causing inetinfo.exe to use load of RAM
Hi ALL I have an Exchange Server 2000(SP3) running on a Windows Server 2000 (SP4) box. As soon as I start the Default SMTP Virtual Server the inetinfo.exe steadily eats all the remaining RAM up and stalls the server. I have spent ages googling on this one alas to no avail. Any help or guidance welcome Martin "Martin" <martin@purplespot.co.uk> wrote: >I have an Exchange Server 2000(SP3) running on a Windows Server 2000 (SP4) >box. As soon as I start the Default SMTP Virtual Server the inetinfo.exe >steadily eats all the remaining RAM up and stalls the serve...

Creating Custom Labels
Hi - I'm trying to create a custom label from an AVERY template that is not in publisher. I have contacted AVERY to get the correct dimensions but am not able to find the correct place to put them in Publisher. The Page Setup screen does not activate the controls I need to use. Please advise? -- Thank you, KDill What are the dimensions? Avery has a free program that has most of their label sizes. http://www.avery.com/us/Main?action=software.AverySoftwareDetail&catalogcode=WEB01&softwarecode=3200 Usually Avery labels have several different numbers but the content will be t...

Digital ID and certificate missing
I have Microsoft Office 2002 which includes Outlook 2002. I've been using the software now for some time without a problem. Recently I went to send a message and it popped up with an error stating that I am missing my certificates and it could not send the message. I did some poking around only to find out that my computer is missing the digital ID and certificates all together. So...I've been trying to find some sort of help on the Internet dealing with this. I eventually found on the support site for outlook how to get a new digital ID, which goes as follows: -----------------------...