OWA - Question about KB830827 regarding restricting external users

Hi,

I have an Exchange 2003 cluster with an Exchange 2003 front-end server for
Outlook Web Access. I've been looking at KB830827 as I need to set up
webmail so only certain people can use it.

In the KB article it says it is possible to do this with three steps to
follow. Step 3 says I need to create a new HTTP virtual server but when I
try to create one as per its instructions, I get a message saying "This
virtual server will not start because the combination of IP address, Port,
and Host name matches that of another Exchange virtual server". I'm not
really sure what to do next as I don't want to delete what's already there.

Can anyone point me in the direction of more detailed instructions?

Or if anyone has already done this, I'd be interested in hearing your
methods.

Thanks,

Curtis.

--
Please reply to news group only. Thank you.

0
xxx2719 (71)

Hi,

You can't have a site without a bespoke host header listening on the same
port (80, 443) using the same IP.

First assign a new IP to your Front End, then follow the steps and ensure
you choose this IP when creating your new HTTP virtual server.

Oliver

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
2/28/2007 5:49:46 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip. I've now added a second IP and have got another virtual
server up and running. I've set it up as per the instructions in KB830827,
but I can't get it to restrict access to external users while internal ones
are ok.

To summarise, this is what I've done:

1) On the front-end server I've created another HTTP virtual server called
"OWA Virtual Server".
2) Assigned this an IP (different from default virtual server) and set
"Exchange Path Mailboxes for SMTP Domain" to be for "owa.local".
3) Created a virtual directory underneath "OWA Virtual Server" called
"exchange" and set the Exchange Path Mailboxes for SMTP domain to
"owa.local". Ticked box for "Enable forms based authentication", with no
compression.
4) Ran IISRESET and ensured it all appears in IIS and configured SSL.
5) Disabled the default web site (to ensure I don't use that one) and gone
to <https://<exchangeFE>/exchange> which brings up the expected Outlook Web
Access logon page.

However, after that point the problem I'm having is that it's letting ANYONE
log on. I was under the impression it should only allow access if someone
has "<firstname>.<surname>@owa.local" listed as one of their email
addresses? I have assigned only one test use to have this email address, and
although that test user can log on fine, so can everyone else.

Can anyone spot where I'm going wrong?

I can't simply disable OWA for everyone as a lot of people use it internally
when moving between computers (they access it via the back-end servers). I
just need to set it up so when people are outside the organistation, we can
control which ones can access OWA through the front-end server.

Thanks,

Curtis.

xxx2719 (71)

BAM and cube analysis from a user machine
I have some cubes in Analysis Services, I created them using BAM. From the server containing my SQL server and analysis services I have no problem connecting using localhost to access my cubes using excel add-in, cube analysis. But when I try to connect from another user machine I can't, I tried setting up an ODBC connection and just browsing the server but can't get access to them, I do have all the security rights for seeing them, I created the server. I have windows xp on the user machine with excel 2003 sp1. Windows Server 2000 with excel 2003 on the server machine. ...

OWA #73
I am trying to use Outlook Web Access here is what I have Server 2003 (member server) running exchange 2003. I want to allow people within the company to be able to jump on a computer outside our network punch in a url which will allow them to log in with their user name and password to OWA. Our current set up is a sonicwall firewall/vpn device with everything behind it. I want them to be able to use the OWA without having to use the VPN. I have been using the book Mastering Exchange server 2003 (By Barry Gerber) as my guide and have followed step by step how to map the drive and get it s...

Invoice Form Question
I've created an Invoice form which seems to work pretty well for creating invoices, but now the Office folks would like to add some functionality. Right now, we track our orders by Order Number. The Order Entry table includes information that is unique to the order as a whole. There is also an associated Order Details table which includes information specific the line item for a specific order. The Part Numbers table includes information that is standard to the Part Number. Right now the Invoice information is included on the Order Entry table. My thinking was that the relatio...

Final SQL Question of the Week!
To Bud, Victoria and Richard- thank you for all your help. You folks are a really great resource which I feel I have taken advantage of as of late! That said- Here's one more... I currently run a Smartlist in Sales/Sales Transactions where I search on Document Type "Order" and use document dates to include all of the current year and then I also search on void status of "not voided". This gives me a listing of all orders booked for the current year with the original order amount. I tried in SQL using table SOP10100 but the querie only returns a partial list...

Users and Their Roles
Hello, I am configuring Microsoft CRM for the first time in a small organization. I have run into a situation where users have many functions and may not fall under the roles specified in the list of roles to assign the new user. My question is where can I find a detailed description as to what these roles are. I have been unable to find any such documentation. Thank You, Dale Renaud Systems Administrator Dale, There is some info on the "canned" roles in the Implementation Guide. That said, MS also recommends that you do NOT modify these roles. The recommendat...

Remote access to home user
Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from home, anyone got suggestions as to what to use for remote access/support of non domain home based systems. There's a mix of mostly Vista and W7 Home premium, and XP Pro. Ideally I'd like a service like logmein but it's monthly cost is a little too expensive. Appreciate any advice. Ultra VNC is one possibility. <Scottfree16@gmail.com> wrote in message news:iso8h5tv4poj1gf24i9g33250q5i06bjbd@4ax.com... > Picked up a new client that has a number of consultants working from > home,...

Dimension of profile user photo?
What are the optimum dimensions that your profile photo in windows live messenger should be? Greetings, 96x96. -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jonathankay.com (c) 2010 Jonathan Kay - If redistributing, you must include this signature or citation -- "thebigdintexas" <thebigdintexas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:636EEFB8-CAE8-45B2-886F-221A3026BE89@microsoft.com... > What are the optimum dime...

Outlook user agreement popup
How do I stop Outlook User Agreement from popping out everytime I open Outllook Start Outlook as an Administrator once; Hold SHIFT and right click on the Outlook shortcut when Outlook is closed. Choose Run as Administrator and accept the EULA. Close Outlook and then start it normally again. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "billypops" <billypops@discussions.micr...

No For Closing Excel or User Form
Is there a macro code which will not allow closing Excel Program with up right corner button "X", if not, how about User Form? Thanks, Sahak question was answered in your later reposting. http://google.com/groups?threadm=01b601c398d1%24000302d0%24a501280a@phx.gbl Sometimes you do have to ask again and waiting a day (21 hours) is a reasonable wait for most questions. You should however stick to the same thread and not change the subject line. Try to make the original subject title describe the problem in about 30 characters. Meaningful subjects and keeping to a thread help...

likely an easy question?
How can I create, in Outlook, a new group in the address book in order to send an email to ten people and place in the BCC so that they can not see each other as recipients? In other words, I would like to send the mail to these people but they do not see the others in the group. They would only see the name "Football Fans", for example. Thanks in Advance! Alan Create a group called Football Fans and put only your address in it. Create another group called Football Fans Bcc and put the addresses in it. Then send the message with Football FAns in the to field and Football Fans Bcc ...

crm email for remote users
Hi, I have a client with 10 remote users who wants to implement MSCRM. The remote users use a hosted POP3 email service, not Exchange. Can Sales for Outlook be configured so that when a CRM email is sent, the email uses their hosted service's profile in Outlook? Thanks No this will not work CRM will only work against an exchange server. "Gene Marks" <gene@marksgroup.net> wrote in message news:OEg340vPDHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I have a client with 10 remote users who wants to implement MSCRM. The > remote users use a hosted POP3 email ...

How can i start application before User Logon
I having a project which need to create a kids used application which run prior before user log in. Is there anywhere to do it? And is it possible to disable the combination keys of alt+ctrl+del in vista? -- bing88 Sounds like malware to me. "bing88" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message news:93546aad9d33dca0b81adf53127f22ee@nntp-gateway.com... > > I having a project which need to create a kids used application which > run prior before user log in. Is there anywhere to do it? And is it > possible to disable the combination keys of alt+...

Scriptet user cant send or recive mails
Hi, im having a huge problem. Iv just add 2100 new users in our Exchange by script, and most of those users cant send or recive mails, and i wounder why. If you take an excisting AD user who have no problem and compare this with one of the new users, there are no different, iv looked trough every bits and bots i can find. If i move the mail box from one database/server to another the user account are now fixed and the user can send and recive mail?!? Anyone who can explain what going on here?!? tsbo@kolding.dk wrote: >Hi, im having a huge problem. Iv just add 2100 new users in our >...

Select criteria based on the field name the user selects
Hi all, I am facing with aproblem where in i have a small access db with forms and reports now i want to change or set the where condition of a query based on the value the user selects from the form through a combo box. For ex:- if user is selecting Invoice_date then the where condition should search based on invoice date if the user selects any other field the querys where condition should search based on that particular field.Can any one help me in getting a solution for this. I have a sample database that shows how you can use various controls to set the filter of a query that i...

Table question
I have WinXP. I created a Table in WordPerfect (6.1) and then opened it up in Word (2003) so I could send it to some people who only have Word. In both instances (WP and Word), there is a blank page at the end that I don't know how to get rid of. Doing Delete on the last table page, or Backspace on the blank page, doesn't work because the cursor is inside the table at the end. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! "Joy" <joymp2@nospambellsouth.net> wrote in message news:#udUI1CfKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I have WinXP. I...

create non-domain user email address in exchange global contact
Is it possible to create a non-domain email address in exchange ,Global address contact? Eg. create a user1@hotmail.com in our company exchange address book. Yes, just create a mail enabled contact in your Active Directory and then they'll appear on the GAL. hope this helps, Phill H. "Em Yeu" <cmchong20@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23pa3Bb5VEHA.2544@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to create a non-domain email address in exchange ,Global > address contact? > Eg. create a user1@hotmail.com in our company exchange address book. > > In the l...

How to disable back-end OWA and keep FE OWA?
One of my customers has just installed 2 new Front-End servers for internal OWA traffic. The thing is, users used to connect to the BE server OWAs. Now that there are FE OWAs the customer wants their users to connect using ONLY the FE OWA servers. Is there a way to "disable" the Back-End OWA service while at the same time keeping FE OWA service available? The customer has been looking at setting up IPSEC, or putting HTTP filtering on the IIS on the BE, but would like other (maybe easier) alternatives. Thanks! Luis On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 09:23:03 -0800, "Luis Torres" &...

Privileges Question
I have created a custom entity called RGAs for our Return Goods Authorization system. This custom entity is a one-to-many relationship with the account being the primary entity. We have also created a custom role for our regional sales people the basically limits the data they synchronize with to only be the data they own. All accounts 'owned' by the user will be visible to the user while off-line. Any contact or quote that gets created by someone else under that users owned account also shows up while off-line. The new RGA entity however does not. I have the read privileg...

Can't create a new user with a mail box automatically with Active Dir #2
I have 2003 server with Active Directory and Exchange installed. When i click Create -> "User" and reach the dialog to create an Exchange mail box, the "Mailbox Store" drop down list is empty. Which has the effect that the "Next" button is disabled and I can't create a mailbox attached to that account. Where can I find that setting or what should I do? Thanks in advance /Mac Check and make sure the account you are using to create the new users has at least Exchange View-Only administrator in Exchange System Manager. Right-click on either ...

T4 report question
Hello everyone, I am wondering which exactly is the name of the T4 for employee report in Great Plains v.8. The reason is that I need to change a little the report because it does not allign properly. The description of my situation is as following: I looked into all the reports I have in the Payroll module. Quite few have "T4" in their name. I opened (Layout) all of them and only 2 one looked like the report that I need. However if I add a text field in any of them and save them and then I go and print a T4 for an employee the text field does not appear. This indicates me that I am...

Excel XP question, working with Array's
Hello Guys/Girls, I have the following problem. I have one main-list (Row A and B) with all member numbers. Also I got a list (Row K and L) which contains a second List with financial information and a part of the numbers of the members-list. I would like to combine this. Is there een option, like the if-function, which could check the mainlist with the second-list and if there has been found a match, the financial information put in Colum C behind the right member number?. Greetings from the Netherlands, Johan Heegsma Hi Johan could you clarify why columns A & B contain member num...

Data Validation Question #3
I have a survey where users score things on a linguistic scale (e.g. Very Satisfied, Satisfied, etc.) and I want to convert that to a numeric score, but still keep the Linguistic Value. I was hoping there was a way to have a cell with the linguistic value and the a cell with the numeric score, but have them both show up in a dv cell. -- cmk18 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cmk18's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=6047 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=474120 I don'...

Macro Question #5
Hi guys, I have got the following code which looks for a specific value in column A (1), then i want it to change the value in column G (7) to another value. For some reason this doesn't seem to be happening with the following code. Any thoughts? For i = 1 To Rows.Count If Cells(i, 1).Value = "Value1" Then Cells(i, 7).Value = "Value 2" End If Cheers, Rod Sub sdf() For i = 1 To Rows.Count If Cells(i, 1).Value = "Value1" Then Cells(i, 7).Value = "Value 2" End If Next End Sub works for me But this works for a...

Records showing SYSTEM instead of User
I have sent an E-mail to one user from another using Outlook . I have assigned the E-mail to a contact record .The E-mail is tracked in CRM. However in the history page of the Contact recors the Created by field shows SYSTEM instead of User name.please Help. This is normal behavior currently. For the user that promoted the email, you can look at the "Owner" not the Created By. Frank Lee, Microsoft CRM MVP Workopia, Inc. http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com "kunal kapoor" wrote: > I have sent an E-mail to one user from another using Outlook . I have > assign...

Want to flag a user to be hidden from the GAL when it is moved to another OU.
Is there a way to move a user from one OU to another and have it automatically stamp the user to be hidden from the GAL, without changing this attribute from the GUI? We are moving users that are to be deleted later to an OU (Terminated) prior to deleting them and the junior admins are forgetting to flag the account so it doesn't show up in the GAL. We would like to create a policy or script to automate and idiot proof this process. Any ideas, Thanks in Advance -- JohnB ajohnbe@hotmail.com On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 23:07:34 GMT, "JohnB" <johnbsgenerator@hotmail.com> wrote:...