OWA cannot authenticate mailboxes on second mailbox server

Hi

At one site we have an exchange 2003 standard server as a frontend server in
our dmz and an exchange 2003 enterprise mailbox server in the trusted
network. OWA works fine for all uses and password change and forms
authentication are configured.

We have installed a second mailbox server in the same admin group. If i move
a mailbox from the original mailbox server to the new mailbox server I am
unable to logon to to the mailbox via OWA, the forms username/password page
just continues to come back again and again, this happens from any of our
OWA servers in different sites to this new mailbox server. There is NOTHING
in any of the event logs.

any ideas?

thanks

Andrew Haswell

0
naryn (3)

Have you configured the firewall to permit access to the second server?

Nue
"Andrew Haswell" <naryn@nospam.postalias> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> At one site we have an exchange 2003 standard server as a frontend server
> in our dmz and an exchange 2003 enterprise mailbox server in the trusted
> network. OWA works fine for all uses and password change and forms
> authentication are configured.
>
> We have installed a second mailbox server in the same admin group. If i
> move a mailbox from the original mailbox server to the new mailbox server
> I am unable to logon to to the mailbox via OWA, the forms
> username/password page just continues to come back again and again, this
> happens from any of our OWA servers in different sites to this new mailbox
> server. There is NOTHING in any of the event logs.
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks
>
> Andrew Haswell

0
imaneophyte (3004)
6/23/2006 11:41:21 AM
Yeah the server has been added to the access groups and i have checked the
firewall and there is no traffic being dropped!

"Nuevo" <imaneophyte@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Have you configured the firewall to permit access to the second server?
>
> Nue
> "Andrew Haswell" <naryn@nospam.postalias> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> At one site we have an exchange 2003 standard server as a frontend server
>> in our dmz and an exchange 2003 enterprise mailbox server in the trusted
>> network. OWA works fine for all uses and password change and forms
>> authentication are configured.
>>
>> We have installed a second mailbox server in the same admin group. If i
>> move a mailbox from the original mailbox server to the new mailbox server
>> I am unable to logon to to the mailbox via OWA, the forms
>> username/password page just continues to come back again and again, this
>> happens from any of our OWA servers in different sites to this new
>> mailbox server. There is NOTHING in any of the event logs.
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Andrew Haswell

0
naryn (3)
6/23/2006 1:51:21 PM
Hello Andrew,

Thank you for posting.

To narrow down/fix this issue, I suggest you perform the following tests:
1.	Please verify if this problem occurs in Outlook.
On an internal client, create a new email profile for the user and test.
How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829918

2.	If Outlook works fine, please connect to the BACK END server directly in
OWA.

3.	If it works, please collect the IIS logs on the FRONT END and BACK END
servers.
a. Open IIS MMC, right click Default Web Site and then click Properties.
b. Click Website tab and then check Enable logging.
c. Stop the related service and rename the existing IIS log files under
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
d. Reproduce the problem.
e. Go to the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
f. Send me the log file to me at v-jochen@microsoft.com.

Please use "OWA cannot authenticate mailboxes on second mailbox server" as
the title of your mails and let me know the IP address of the client
machine you used.Thanks.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

v-jochen (143)
6/26/2006 5:04:10 AM
I have concerns about the original installation on this server. exchange was
originally installed to program files, but this was not in line with our
build procedure so exchange was uninstalled and then reinstalled in
c:\exchsrvr.

Although the system was left for a while between installations so that the
server could replicate out of AD and system manager i am concerned that some
objects were left in that have caused a problem with the new installation.

we are considering rebuilding the server from scratch, i am of the opinion
that a newly built broken server is not a good place to start. Are my
concerns realistic? Are there things that need to be done if you uninstall
and exchange server and want to reinstall under the same name?

thanks

Andrew Haswell

"John Chen [MSFT]" <v-jochen@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Andrew,
>
> Thank you for posting.
>
> To narrow down/fix this issue, I suggest you perform the following tests:
> 1. Please verify if this problem occurs in Outlook.
> On an internal client, create a new email profile for the user and test.
> How to create a new e-mail profile in Outlook 2003
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=829918
>
> 2. If Outlook works fine, please connect to the BACK END server directly
> in
> OWA.
>
> 3. If it works, please collect the IIS logs on the FRONT END and BACK END
> servers.
> a. Open IIS MMC, right click Default Web Site and then click Properties.
> b. Click Website tab and then check Enable logging.
> c. Stop the related service and rename the existing IIS log files under
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
> d. Reproduce the problem.
> e. Go to the following folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles.
> f. Send me the log file to me at v-jochen@microsoft.com.
>
> Please use "OWA cannot authenticate mailboxes on second mailbox server" as
> the title of your mails and let me know the IP address of the client
> machine you used.Thanks.
>
> If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.
>
> Sincerely,
> John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
> Microsoft Online Partner Support

> When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via
> your newsreader so that others may learn and benefit
> from your issue.

> rights.

0
naryn (3)
6/26/2006 11:05:04 AM
Hi Andrew,

I have sent email to you. Now I am just checking to see how things are
going there. If you would like further assistance, please do not hesitate
to let me know.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,
John Chen, MCSE, MCSA, MCDBA, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

v-jochen (143)

Repeated requests for authentication
The setup: An exchange server 2003 backend, SBS 2003 front end, Outlook 2003 on remote client machines that connect via RPC over HTTP (cached mode). The problem: One user (and only one user) repeatedly gets a dialog window to authenticate (DOMAIN/user, password) when Outlook is open and online. He enters the information, clicks OK, and Outlook shows connected. Then a few minutes later the same dialog box pops up. Possibly relevant details: * He uses basic authentication (as do all users) * He enters his username/password each time (doesn't click "cancel"), and is able to se...

Move POS database to another server sql 2005 instance
I have moved the database but POS fails to connect with error: Could not connect to the database. Make sure you type the correct computer name. Also, make sure the computer that has the database is avasilable and that the port you specify is the correct one. can connect to the instance from the POS wrkstn. Tried SA and domain administrator accounts. Any info greatly appreciated. -- JNech Houston jenifern wrote: > Any info greatly appreciated. Now the database is on the same physical server or not? Do you can connect via sqlcmd utility? cod ...

sql server error #2
My company is trying to impliment some customized reports via the Report Builder located in the Report Manager. However everytime a user tries to access the Report Manager url it gives the following error...has anyone else seen this? Server Error in '/ReportMgr' Application -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. ...

My Server is not anymore seen on network plese help ?
Dear all, I have an SBS 2003 server which was working ok since a long time and sudenly after a reboot , my client computer cannot detect my server DHCP. I have noticed that mu FAI router as been updated and that DHCP has been set to default value, so I wen to my router setting and desable DHCP mode. Since that time without changing any setting on my server itself, my server is not anymore visible from network and client are not able to receive IP adress from my SBS 2003 DHCP address. I have made following test : On one of my client computer I have set manuall the IP adress t...

Remove Second Language From my Document
I have a huge document that has many sheets and in every sheet there some fields are in English and some in Russian. I want to Remove All the russian text from my document. If you have any Idea, please help. Thank you -- laheq ------------------------------------------------------------------------ laheq's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25285 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=387736 Is the Russian text formatted for Cyrillic font, or do those cells have a unique property not shared by the English text? If ...

Weird problem with exchange 2000 server
I am running a windows 2000 server with exchange 2000. The server is partitioned as follows; C:\ 5.13GB, D:\ Exchange 49.2, E:\ 49.7, 32.2GB unallocated. I had the AV originally on C:\ but moved it to E:\ last week. There is also a plug-in for exchange installed as part of the AV suite. Users can send ok, the problem is in receiving email. I looked at ESM and in POP3 current connections it shows a list of users trying to receive email If I reboot the server, everything is fine for a while and then the problem recurs. There doesnt seem to be a problem with any of the Exchange services, at ...

POP3 application can't delete messages from exchange server
Hi there, I am hoping someone can help me with this, I am fairly new to exchange and have a problem I can't seem to solve. We have an application which connects to our ISP's mail server to download messages, sends them to a biztalk application then deletes them off the mail server. This is currently working 100 percent but we want to shift it to our exchange 2003 server and lose the ISP mailboxes. The problem is that as soon as we point it to exchange it downloads the messages but will not delete them, then next time it poll's the mailbox it downloads the same messages agai...

giving mailbox rights
I guess what you are asking is can you give these rights without logging in as the user...Yep.Open the users properties and click on Exch advanced...mailbox rights...add the account you want to access the mailbox and click full mailbox access rights. If this person is a domain admin you will have to give the send as and receive as rights which is available on the security tab of the same user. To access the mailbox, the user given the rights has to add the mailbox to his/her outlook profile. I think that is tools...services...select exch server and click properties...click advanced and add ...

MFC Extension DLL as ATL/COM Server
Hello, friends! I have a regular MFC DLL with ATL components in it, but now it's necessary to convert it to MFC Extension DLL. My question is it possible for MFC Extension DLL to work as ATL/COM server? -- svr ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http://www.codecomments.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hi svr, My experience with COM tells me it is probably easier to create the COM object with Visual Studio (enabling MFC Support), and Copy and Paste. In the end, you will still be working wit...

Entourage Web Services Edition: Exchange server keeps changing to internal name

Configuration of OWA in SBS 2003 assist request
How could I create my OWA in the inner site without SSL. Today we are working with redirection from http to https with just 80 port open in the firewall and our SBS 2003 have just one Network interface that use also to the outside publishing and to the inner site. Also I need to create the inner site login to the OWA will be with out the form base authentication because of some workers are working with Linux and some of the properties in the Exchange are looks as emails not calander, notes or tasks (the login need to be as in OWA from Exchange 5.5). Thanks in advanced, ...

Reconfiguring an Exchange 2003 Server
Can some one shed some light for me please? I’m in the process of preparing my self to reconfigure an Exchange 2003 member server, in my site, because, the way the hard drives RAID was configure, I fill it compromised the data on a disaster recovery and also affect the server performance. Presently the information store, public information store and transaction logs are store in a RAID 5 configuration. If the RAID is lost, we can jeopardize extensive amount of client messages and I don’t want that to happen. I want to reconfigure the same server and restore the data back into. Can som...

Outlook 2003 error with Server Rules
I have Exchange 5.5 and have just started installing Outlook 2003 on clients. On some clients I get the following error when opening Outlook, "there was an error reading the rules from the server. The format of the server rules was not recognized". I've searched the knowledgebase but with no luck. Anyone have a fix or understand why this is happening? Thanks, Tammy:) ...

Cannot get Entourage 2008 to connect to Exchange Server 2000
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I just bought my first Mac yesterday. I have a small Windows 2000 Server which is also my domain controller. I was able to connect the Mac to the domain without any problem. <br> My problem is to have Entourage connect to my Exchange Server 2000. Using Outlook 2003 on my Windows PCs was a piece of cake. Just needed to select the Exchange server name and the user id, verify the name, and Outlook synced with the Exchange server. <br> However, in Entourage the setup is differen...

Can install SFO with Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 server or not?
Dear Expert, Can install SFO with Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 server or not? Thank you, phong phong What is SQL 2003 ??? Peter "msnews.microsoft.com" <hattha9@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23wAkRlsVFHA.2684@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Dear Expert, > Can install SFO with Windows 2003 and SQL 2003 server or not? > > Thank you, > phong > ...

Mailbox access #5
I have a mailbox that needs to be checked by 2-3 people, is there away that I can see when and/or who did access the mailbox? Can I get a list of who did access this account and when? Thanks -- Nawar Aljanabi MCSE NT/2000/2003,MCSA 2003 +M,CCNA What version of Exchange? -- Ed Crowley Celebrating a decade of Exchange peer support "Nawar75" <Nawar75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:404E46B9-7333-4B2D-B7ED-E964C87421C2@microsoft.com... >I have a mailbox that needs to be checked by 2-3 people, is there away that >I > can see when and/or who did ac...

Please help! How to restore Mailbox Store?
I could not upgrade Exchange Server 2003 BETA with the release version. I used ntbackup to back up the Mailbox Stores, and had to uninstall completely the beta version. I then installed the release version using Typical. I then used ntbackup to Restore the mailboxes. Everything looked great, all the mailboxes showed up when I remounted the store and clicked Refresh. The problem is the mailboxes aren't linked to the Active Directory user accounts. When I go to Properties->Exchange Tasks..., the only option is to Create Mailbox. Well, that makes an empty duplicate mailbox. When the ...

can't get mail from server?
I have a client running SBS 2003 with Exchange and every morning they cannot get any messages in Outlook from the server. If they reboot the server then their mail comes in. No messages are lost from overnight so the server is still accepting messages but the clients don;t recieve them. When they are having the problem I can ping thier mail.domain.com and nslookup displays the correct MX record from outside their network. There are a few errors in the event log such as 8250-DsGetDCNameW error and 8026-LDAP bind was unsuccessful but the KB says those can be ignored. Today I reregist...

Anyway to view actual conversation with server?
Outlook 2000. Anyone know if there's a way (natively or with any 3rd party product) to view a log of the exact conversation between Outlook and the mail server? I want to see where there is a problem occuring. Thanks. ---Atreju--- What problem are you trying to track? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Atreju asked: | Outlook 2000. Anyone know if there's a way (natively...

To copy an email into a folder on different Server, but keep date
Hi, I need to take an email on Outlook 2007 and 'save' into onto another server. I realise I can copy~paste, but this shows a 'modified' date as the current date of this copy. But I want to show the 'created' date of the original email!!! Thus othe users can see the date order of these emails, rather than a plethora of emails all with the same 'copy' date. Kind regards, Dave Hi Dave, You can use the Export feature in Outlook, Export it into a .pst file and afterwards import it into the new account :) Then you will get all your data + i...

DoPromptFileName() Freezes on Second Call
I have an MFC MDI application that freezes the second time "Open File" is selected. The freeze happens on the second call to DoPromptFileName() in the "Open File" handler. I have found it does not matter where in the application DoPromptFileName() is called from the second time, it will freeze on the second it is called. I have done a "Trace Into" trace with the F11 key and can get as far as the statement in the CDocManager::DoPromptFileName() function: INT_PTR nResult = dlgFile.DoModal(); at line 640 in docmgr.cpp. After that it goes into assembly code I ...

Problem Installing Second CRM Web Server
I'm trying to install a second web server by running the installation program and pointing the database to the exisiting install. The installation runs succesfully but I get the following error in the Application log: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMSecurityService Event Category: None Event ID: 5916 Date: 9/15/2005 Time: 3:36:04 PM User: N/A Computer: DECRM Description: Error: Could not query account information. 1788 (0x000006FC) Description: The trust relationship between the primary domain and the trusted domain failed. We only have one domain so I'm not sure what it me...

Outlook 2003 hangs when processing junk mail on pop3 server
Hi all, I've recently upgraded to Outlook 2003 and have found a problem. My computer has both an Exchange and a pop3 acccount. When the pop account downloads mail its fine, unless there's junk mail. Outlook hangs just after it puts the offending email into the junk folder. I've confiigured the same accounts on a different computer with the same result. I've also set the junk options on pretty much all of the possible settings, and even had it delete the spam rather than put it in the junk folders. Has anyone seen this, know what causes it, and most importantly, how to fix it...

Outlook 2003
Hello, I'm creating a standard desktop image for 9 sites in my organization. Each site has its own Exchange server at this time. I would like to just create ONE image for all sites, with ONLY the need to drop in a *.prf file before re-imaging between 300 - 3000 PCs for each site. The only way I've found the Outlook Profile Generator to work so far is to actually RE-INSTALL an Office 2003 transform for EACH site. This would mean that I would need 9 different images rather than one. I tried creating a new transform for each site and then exporting the PRF, but it doesn't work (The...

Server 2008 with SSD drive
The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a application Server 2003 R2. When clients log in and in some cases when printing, the other users either slow way down or become totally unresponsive. I bought a Mushkin 128gb SSD drive and want to install it in the backup server as a test to see if the faster drive access makes any difference. At the same time they would upgrade to Server 2008. The drive would have the OS, a Firebird database server and the program files they use. Client count is probably < 10. Has anyone tried this out yet? I can't fin...