OWA and MX records

I am running in mixed mode and have just completed moving most of my
mailboxes to E2K3. OWA access works fine within the domain, either using the
IP address or the name of the sever. What I would like to do is test it "for
real" without distrupting the 5.5 verison of OWA that is still in use as well
as mail flow to the 5.5 server. My ISP currently has pointers (MX and A
records) in place that point to my old 5.5 server for mail flow and OWA. Can
I ask them to setup another MX record that points to my new E2K3 server to
gain access to OWA? Or are you only allowed one MX record per domain name?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
0
Bkana (16)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:29:17 -0700, "Bkana"
<Bkana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am running in mixed mode and have just completed moving most of my
>mailboxes to E2K3. OWA access works fine within the domain, either using the
>IP address or the name of the sever. What I would like to do is test it "for
>real" without distrupting the 5.5 verison of OWA that is still in use as well
>as mail flow to the 5.5 server. My ISP currently has pointers (MX and A
>records) in place that point to my old 5.5 server for mail flow and OWA. Can
>I ask them to setup another MX record that points to my new E2K3 server to
>gain access to OWA? Or are you only allowed one MX record per domain name?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Bill

OWA has got nothing to do with MX records. MX records are used to
point sending servers at you mail server for the purpose of smtp
transport.
By all means get them to create a descriptive A record to point at the
OWA server but not an MX record.

0
mark7219 (5666)
10/20/2004 5:56:22 PM
Thanks for clearing that up for me Mark,

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:29:17 -0700, "Bkana"
> <Bkana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I am running in mixed mode and have just completed moving most of my
> >mailboxes to E2K3. OWA access works fine within the domain, either using the
> >IP address or the name of the sever. What I would like to do is test it "for
> >real" without distrupting the 5.5 verison of OWA that is still in use as well
> >as mail flow to the 5.5 server. My ISP currently has pointers (MX and A
> >records) in place that point to my old 5.5 server for mail flow and OWA. Can
> >I ask them to setup another MX record that points to my new E2K3 server to
> >gain access to OWA? Or are you only allowed one MX record per domain name?
> >
> >Thanks in advance,
> >Bill
>
> OWA has got nothing to do with MX records. MX records are used to
> point sending servers at you mail server for the purpose of smtp
> transport.
> By all means get them to create a descriptive A record to point at the
> OWA server but not an MX record.

0
Bkana (16)
10/20/2004 6:31:02 PM
IMHO, MX records have nothing to do with OWA access. They are only needed
for server-server SMTP communications. What you need is an A record for your
new OWA server, or you can just use an IP address and do not bother your ISP
at all.

Regards,
Boris

P.S. You can have as many MX records per domain as you like. They will be
honored in order of their priority.

"Bkana" <Bkana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am running in mixed mode and have just completed moving most of my
> mailboxes to E2K3. OWA access works fine within the domain, either using
the
> IP address or the name of the sever. What I would like to do is test it
"for
> real" without distrupting the 5.5 verison of OWA that is still in use as
well
> as mail flow to the 5.5 server. My ISP currently has pointers (MX and A
> records) in place that point to my old 5.5 server for mail flow and OWA.
Can
> I ask them to setup another MX record that points to my new E2K3 server to
> gain access to OWA? Or are you only allowed one MX record per domain name?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bill

0
msexpert1 (171)

Merge records function
Is it possible to reuse the record merge function in CRM. Fx to call the function with a valid Account GUID with a URL-call to mergerecords ? I want this to open the merge windows with the GUID as the master record. ...

OWA Question #7
Ok I am switching from OWA on Exchange 5.5 to OWA Exchange 2003. I got OWA to work correctly. I just have one question. Some of my Users have there Bookmarks pointing to https://servername/exchange/logon.asp But they get a 404 error pages doesn't exist. Where does Exchange 2003 look for this file so I can put a page redirect so they go to the correct address. Any help would be great. Thank you, Kyle Kyle D, In exchange 2003 with forms based authentication it would be Https://Server/Exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp this points to (in a default install) C:\program files\ex...

OWA 2003 NEW MAIL Popup
Does anyone know how to tweak the settings for this popup? I need it stay on until it is clicked or the email is read. I am assuming that this is a javascript somewher in the echangeweb folder. I have tried to sniff all of the traffic created by owa and eevery two minutes my machine polls the server for new mail. I am not sure through htis traffic how the popup is being generated. Any help/guidance would be appreciated. ...

-1026 JET_errRecordTooBig, Record larger than maximum size
I administer a single Windows 2003 domain, Native Mode only W3k servers and use Exchange 2003. I am seeing this error in all DC Directory Service Event Logs. Event Type: Error Event Source: NTDS SDPROP Event Category: Internal Processing Event ID: 2008 Date: 28/07/2004 Time: 6:38:04 PM User: NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON Computer: TLSAD1 Description: Internal error: The security descriptor propagation task encountered an error while processing the following object. The propagation of security descriptors may not be possible until the problem is corrected. Object: CN=internal 29176...

Previous Record
How do I access a field from the previous record in a form To programmatically read the value from the previous record, regardless of how the form is sorted or filtered, use the RecordsetClone of the form. This kind of thing: Function GetPreviousValue(frm As Form, strField As String) As Variant On Error GoTo Err_Handler 'Purpose: Return the value from the previous row of the form. 'Keywords: PriorRow PreviousValue Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set rs = frm.RecordsetClone rs.Bookmark = frm.Bookmark rs.MovePrevious GetPreviousValue = rs(strField) Set rs...

substraction of sequential records
I need to calculate moving ranges in either a report or query. Currently my query returns TestTime (ascending) and TestResult. The moving range is the absolute difference between two consecutive samples. TestTime TestResult MovingRange 8am 20 -- 9am 24 4 10am 21 3 11am 26 5 Once all the moving ranges are calculated, I need to report the average of the moving ranges. ...

OWA
Here's a weird one. I'm the Admin for the server at our company. I test OWA from home. I first tried to log in to all accounts. Worked fine. All of a sudden (within the next few days) I tried to log in under my acct...it works, BUT every other user that I try to log in as I get a error 401 Unauthorized User. But this is the weird part... if I use another browser (Netscape, Firefox) I can log in fine...under ANY user...just not when using IE. Any suggestions? The only thing that I did on the local side was install the OWA security S/MIME thing. This wouldn't have anything t...

Advance filter not filtering unique records only
Hi, I have a user who has four large lists, he wants to combine them into two master lists; but hide or delete duplicates. I showed him how to use Advance Filter and he said it worked perfectly for combination; but the second worksheet did not filter only unique records. He assured me he followed the directions and click "Unique Records" in the Advance filter dialog box; but it didn't work. Can you guys give me a few more avenues he can pursue: (I suggested misspelled entries, and double-checking his work.) Thanks Kim I agree with you. My bet is that there is a typo or even ...

synchronized combo boxes moving between records problem
Sorry if this has been answered, I couldn't find the exact problem elsewhere! I'm only a beginner at this but when i select the right ID from the first combo box, i got it to come up with the correct related IDs in the second combo box , like it's meant to! but when I move to the next record (a new one, or the last one, or anything), the second combo box doesn't retain the record. As in, as you scroll through each record, none of the second combo box 'records' are kept, they are all blank until you click on them, then they come up with your choices, UNLESS you ...

Field with running count of records
Hi, I have a query with fields such as date, Item Number and Quantity. I want to create an additional field called Count that will act like an autonumber. It will assign a value of 1 for the first record, 2 for the second number etc. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks, -- Chuck W There are tons of posts on how to create a "ranking" query. You must have a field or fields that uniquely identify the sort order. If you provided significant table and field names as well as your desired sort order, someone could create the SQL for you if you can't search for and fi...

Public Calendar Attachments in OWA
In OWA my clients can add attachments to their personal calendar, but they cannot add attachments to the public calendar. This is only in OWA. Any suggestions on what I might need to change? ...

Default Public View has records but columns are blank
A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not show any values. There are a number of lines in the list with an icon only. If I try to delete one the message says select an entry before attempting operation. I cannot select the lijne either. Have created many views before and never seen this. Other views are ok? Hi Steve, Try publishing the entity and see if this resolves the problem. HTH, Niths "Steve" wrote: > A custom entity has a default list view but the entries in the list do not > show any values. There are a number of lines in the...

cannot attach files using OWA
Ever since we have upgraded to Exchange 2000 we cannot attach files larger than 6K from NT machines (with IE6) using Outlook Web Access. Try posting this to an Exchange group as Outlook Web Access is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, J Johnson asked: | Ever since we have upgraded to Exchange 2000 we cannot | attach...

My code stops after the record saves....form never closes
Users are going into to update a number, and they want to close the form before the record gets saved, thus losing their changes. I created an Exit button, which should save the record change and close the form. Here's the code: If Me.Dirty Then RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord End If Forms![frmRMSHours]![Act Hours] = Me![Text9] DoCmd.Close If the record is dirty, they press Exit and the record saves. They have to press Exit again and the form closes. If the record is not dirty, the form will close when pressing Exit. What am I doing wrong? To save ...

I got 'forbidden' popup message OWA.
I got 'forbidden' popup message when sending, replying emails using OWA. Please help! Also any configuration change gives me a also "Denied" Help please! Are you using a pop-up blocker on your workstation? On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:43:50 -0700, "TJC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I got 'forbidden' popup message when sending, replying >emails using OWA. Please help! Also any configuration >change gives me a also "Denied" Help please! No pop-up blocker and this is for all my 50 account users. Very strange becau...

OWA not showing all email?
hello everyone, i posted a while back (but i think it slid to back pages) asking a question about a user who has outlook 2003 in the office and hooks up via OWA at home. recently it's become clear that not all of her messages are showing in OWA, yet they all show up when she reconnects on the office LAN. any advice on that? we are running exchange server 2003. in that vein, we would like to set her up with outlook 2003 accessing the exchange server from out of the office but are not sure how to go about doing that ... any tips on where to get started with that would be great...

OWA + more than 8 letters alias name
Recently I have experienced that users whoes email account has more than 8 letters have problem using OWA with error message of "HTTP/1.0 403 Forbidden". Users with less or equal to 8 letters have no problem at all. My server is Exchange 2003 (native mode). Much appreciated! ...

Major Problem with OWA
Hi NG! I got a W2K3 machine with E2K3 SP1 in a W2K3 domain. I'm using SSL. OWA works fine internally, both with Windows integrated security and form based security. Externally fromm based is working, but standard authentification gives a server or dns can't be found error. Basically I want to use form based authentification. I just have other errors and I hope that this is connected to it. We have SSL enforced on the exchange, public and exchweb. We redirect http request to https, using the the resp. error page. The first time I saw that something was wrong, was when I wanted to...

Public Folders and OWA #2
I am running a Exchange 2003 server on Windows 2000. When I tried to access the public folders from OWA, I got an error. I then went to the Exchange server and checked the path for the Virtual Directory for Public . It stated that this was an invalid path. The path syntax looks okay; it is \\.\BackOfficeStorage\NETBOIS DOMAIN NAME\Public Folders, but it will not take this as a valid path. Is there something I can do to recreate this structure? ...

Populate multiple records via check boxes
I've read through some of the posts here and found similar situations with solutions but I just can't quite understand how to do this. I am trying to use form controls i.e. checkboxes and/or multiselect list boxes to populate multiple records from a related table. I have 3 tables: teachers, subjects, & subjects_to_teachers. In the table "teachers_to_subjects" each record contains one teacher & one subject. The purpose of this table is to relate teachers to subjects in a many-to-many fashion. I have a primary form which shows teacher info. What I want is a form...

OWA 2003 logon issue
We are now facing the OWA logon issue, the following are the infomation. Environment: Exchange 2003 using as Front-end / Back-end deployment, FE is working as load balancing Symptoms: There are 2 machines, Machine1 and Machine2 There are 2 users, UserA and UserB For UserA logon to Machine1, when he try to logon to OWA, after input the credential, the frame had been loaded but no content inside. Then the credential window keeping prompt up,it is no use to input the credential again and again. UserA then cancel the prompt or click the "ESC" button, the data can be display finall...

OMA\Active-Sync\OWA and ISA 2004
Currently I am running Exchange Ver 6.5 (Build 7638.2 SP2). I have OWA working externally using SSL-to-SSL on my ISA 2004 firewall. This was configured according articles on MS and isaserver.org. I have OWA-Forms based authentication set on the firewall. I need to get a Treo 650 working remotely through the ISA firewall. The device will sync up just fine internally. Any ideas on how I should get the device to work externally would be greatly appreciated. ...

OWA can't hyperlink
Hello: Using Outlook Web Access (to a Win 2003 Exchange server), anytime a user clicks on a hyperlink in an email the server tries to redirect them to an internal page. For example if the hyperlink was to http://www.FOO.COM then the server would send them to: http://mail.acme.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.FOO.COM/ and prompt them with a login request. Anyidea how to fix this? Thanks. Set proper permissions on redir.asp Paul <no@spam4me.com> wrote in message news:ri3940tltfcq02trkc862shehn50oaiul0@4ax.com... > Hello: > > Using Outlook Web Access (to a...

Need query to return absence of record
Hello all, hope everyone is doing well this fine morning! I need some help in constructing a query. I have three tables, designed as so: Personnel FullName(PK) Department Classes ClassName(PK) TrainingHistory *Junc table between Personnel and Classes* FullName(FK) ClassName(FK) DateTaken TrainingHistory records every instance of a class taken by all personnel. I need to be able to find people who HAVE NOT taken a given class. I need to be able to pick what class I search for each time I do the query. For example, I need to know who in the organization has NOT t...

OWA date format
I want to change the date format in OWA. But i can't find the dd/MM/yy (eg. 06/12/03) format in the drop down list. Anyways to do it??? The list it in dd-mmm-yy format. dd/mm/yy can be misleading, it can be taken as the wrong date, your example is perfect. When I first read it, I saw 06/12/03 as June 12th, 2003 instead of December 6th, 2003 If the recipient doesn't know you are using the dd/mm/yy format they will get the date wrong as well on several occations. Todd "William C." <cmchong20@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Oo3aelhlEHA.2764@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.g...