OWA and ISA 2004

We are migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003.

We have about 150 Users of which only 80 are in the main office and the rest
work from home/on the road.  Many of them were useing OWA in Exchange 5.5 for
email.

In the new envoirnment we are considering putting an ISA 2004 server in our
DMZ and connecting this directly to our Exchange server on the Internal LAN.
(No Front End Exchange Server)

Is this option recomended from a security/performance perspective?

We do not really want the expense of an additional Front End Exchange server
if it is not really needed.

The alternative would be to use our Watchguard Firebox 1000 to NAT SSL
internet connections to a Front End Server on our internal LAN and do without
the ISA Server. We only have one spare machine to use for iether a ISA
implementation or a Front End Server.

Any advice/sugestions appreciated.

thank you.

Kevan

0
Kevan (13)

With only 1 back-end server, there is no additional benefit of a Front-end
server except offloading *some* traffic.  There certainly isn't any
difference security-wise, especially if you will be implementing an ISA
server.  The only choice you need to make is if you want to use the
Forms-based auth feature of ISA, or if you simply want to publish OWA using
ISA.  If you are trying to choose between a FE server and an ISA server, my
choice would be ISA as it has the capability to do lots of other things
besides just secure OWA publishing.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Kevan" <Kevan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003.
>
> We have about 150 Users of which only 80 are in the main office and the
> rest
> work from home/on the road.  Many of them were useing OWA in Exchange 5.5
> for
> email.
>
> In the new envoirnment we are considering putting an ISA 2004 server in
> our
> DMZ and connecting this directly to our Exchange server on the Internal
> LAN.
> (No Front End Exchange Server)
>
> Is this option recomended from a security/performance perspective?
>
> We do not really want the expense of an additional Front End Exchange
> server
> if it is not really needed.
>
> The alternative would be to use our Watchguard Firebox 1000 to NAT SSL
> internet connections to a Front End Server on our internal LAN and do
> without
> the ISA Server. We only have one spare machine to use for iether a ISA
> implementation or a Front End Server.
>
> Any advice/sugestions appreciated.
>
> thank you.
>
> Kevan

0
Ben

owa and 404 errors
I am trying to get my front end server that is on the inside network on the same subnet as my backend server to work but I get 404 errors. any tips on resolving this. P.S I am in the process of deploying isa in the dmz for this as well but I want this to work first. ...

Money 4.0 backup file to Money 2004
I can't seem to get the old backup file to convert to Money 2004... it keeps telling me that it was created by an incompatible version. Does anyone know of a workaround? Should I see about getting an intermediate version and working from that? Thanks for any help! Gord --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.687 / Virus Database: 448 - Release Date: 16/05/2004 In microsoft.public.money, Gord Spence wrote: >I can't seem to get the old backup file to convert to Money 2004... it keeps >telling me th...

OWA not retaining messages
I have one user on the exchange server that is not retaining his inbox messages in OWA, all other users work properly. Here is the issue: Inbox and Contacts do not display in OWA. Inbox and Contacts do show up in Outlook 2003. Outbox does display deleted messages. It appears to be some sort of corruption. What steps should I take to troubleshoot this? Views http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817203/en-us "Bms Jeff" <jeffschnitker@juno.com> wrote in message news:uJvqPcteHHA.4188@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I have one user on the exchange server that is not retaining h...

installing OWA failure
When I try to install OWA.I get the following errors Outlook Web Access failed t install properly The system cannot find the file specified. id no 0XC0020002 Note I've reapplied NT 4.0 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP4 Any suggestions Try an Exchange server NG but provide more detail as to what you've done....there's no installation on the client side, so I presume you're talking about trying to install OWA from the Exchange CD on the server. Richard Winters wrote: > When I try to install OWA.I get the following errors > Outlook Web Access failed t install properly > The ...

OWA reply box strangeness.
I have a few users who are having issues with OWA and replying to messages. When they click reply or forward, instead of having the cursor active at the top of the message in the reply window, it is at the end of the original message. Meaning, when they start typing their reply or forward message their text is at the bottom of the thread instead of the top. Weird... any help is appreciated! Cheers, Joe ...

Generate New Report In Money 2004
My question is very simple. How do I generate a new report. I used the "Help" in Money 2004 & even went on the Web For the Money 2004 book. No place in there is a method to generate a new reprt from "scratch". It seems that the only way to do it is modify another report & save it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance....Marvo That is the only way to do it - find a report that is close to what you want; customise it and save it. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishe...

Money 2004 freezes my PC
Money 2004 Premium freezes on me all the time, forcing me to reboot my PC. At first, it seemed to consistently happen when I opened a sub-menu off the main menu. But recently it also happened while backing up and immediately after that reboot, upon launching Money, on the dialog box where it says I didn't complete the sign- up for extra special features. No other app causes this problem. Any hints? try reinstalling it and IE. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send M...

Problem with getting warning banner message working in OWA
We are using Exchange 2003 with a front-end & back-end server setup and using forms based authentication. Has anyone successfully implemented a Warning banner for OWA that users have to click the OK button before getting to the login page? I have tried out the steps provided at http://www.somorita.com/E2K324seven/Ch21-OWA-WarningBanner.doc but the warning banner still doesn't show up. Would greatly appreciate if anyone has implemented could provide any information to get this working. Thanks in advance. Mark While you are looking at the logon page in IE, use the View/Source...

Viewing OWA message problem
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C3E268.57120220 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I'm having the following problem. I'm using my Windows XP computer to = access my OWA account in Exchange Server 5.5. The account lets me log in OK, but when I click on a message only the = header information is displayed (i.e. From, To, Subject, Sent and = Importance fields). The message body doesn't appear. I've accessed the = server before, but can't now. Can someone le...

OWA on a MAC
I have a user who uses a MAC at home and is trying to access his company email through OWA. He reports that he is unable to reply to any email. Any suggestions, short of dumping the MAC? A lot more info would help - as would posting to a more relevant newsgroup, such as m.p.exchange.clients. OWA is part of Exchange, not Outlook.....if you post there, include any relevant details (Mac OS version, what browser, what errors, any popup blockers in place, version of Exchange, etc) J Michel wrote: > I have a user who uses a MAC at home and is trying to > access his company email through...

office 2004 install
When installing office 2004 on imac g3 600mhz 512 oxs 10.3.7, the office assistant will not run and present a window. The drag and drop option dies while copying at item 988 with an error -36 which is an io error. Have had the error multiple times, each time while copying a different file. I tried the ms solution of issuing a command at the terminal, but to no avail. This is a computer with a new hard drive. Ran disk utility and fixed everything. What to do. It's possible you have a damaged CD. Check out the Microsoft Knowledge Base for information: <http://support.microsoft.co...

Office 2004 slow to open docs
I installed 2004 the other day, and everything is ok performance-wise once docs are open, but it takes 3-10 seconds to open docs that open in less than 1 in v.X. Any ideas? In article <203356e5.0405181317.332afa2a@posting.google.com>, tsb@mac.com (bugleg) wrote: > I installed 2004 the other day, and everything is ok performance-wise > once docs are open, but it takes 3-10 seconds to open docs that open > in less than 1 in v.X. > > Any ideas? Is there any difference if the application is already open? ...

Money 2004 installation error
New Xp home edition. Money worked fine at beginning then next time I opened it I was getting the box that wanted me to install it again. I tried but kept getting error "Error 1304. Error writing to file C:\Program Files\ Microsoft Money\System\mnyolog.dll. Verify that you have access to that directory." I tried a uninstall and fresh install and get the same error. There is nothing on "error 1304" on Microsoft's Support page. I was wondering if it could be an issue with Symantec Norton's Antiviruse software that was installed before Money quit workin...

OWA / Windows XP SP2 / IE 6 SP2
We have come across an issue in our environment using OWA on a windows xp sp2 box. A script error occurs when, within OWA, you create a new message, click the "To" button, find a user from the GAL, and then after highlighting the user, click the "Properties" button on the bottom of the find screen. The script error is: "Object doesn't support this property or method". I also get this error using IE on Windows Server 2003 SP1. I do not get this error on Windows XP SP1, Windows XP SP2 with IE 7 beta. Has anyone come across this error, and found a soluti...

OWA logon error #2
hello i am using exchange 2003 on server 2003 behind ISA 2004 i am trying to use OWA when i use the URL of the server in web browser i get a login prompt, after entering credentials i recieve Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- The resource cannot be found. Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. Requested ...

OWA FE Broken after Exchange 2003 SP2
We have Exchange 2003 here is a cluster, 2 Active and 1 Passive server. Also we have a Front-End Server. All servers have the same config "Windows 2003 SP1, Exchange 2003 SP1" till this point everything is working fine. After installing Exchange 2003 SP2 as per http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=328839 my Front-End OWA does not work internally or externally. The Error I get is The page cannot be found The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found. Internet Information Ser...

several Money 2004 Issues
Money will no longer sign into passport. The credentials are correct because I can sign into hotmail just fine using the same credentials. Money help files don't work. When I click a help file topic Internet Explorer opens with an xml file - something like this: C:\Documents and Settings\Me\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OZSWVT96\Assignchangeordeleteapassword[1].xml and displays the following error: The XML page cannot be displayed Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. ...

Upgrade 2004 Small Biz to 2007?
A message on my 2004 Money said online services would not be available to me after end of this calendar year. Does this mean I will not be able to download my banking activity after this expiration date? Is 2004 upgrade to 2007 smooth? If I do not upgrade in 2007, do I risk further problems waiting for another year to upgrade? Yes downloads are stopped. M2004 > M2007 upgrade in the same region i.e. US > US, should be OK. If you wait another year you still won't be able to download! -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.mic...

Trouble installing Office 2004 on iMac G5
Hi. I recently purchased a 17" iMac G5, with OS X 10.4 Tiger on it. I am unable to install Office 2004 Standard for the Mac on it - the combo drive will not recognize the disc. When I insert the CD, it spins for a few seconds and then ejects automatically. I initially thought this was a defective CD, since my drive seems fine. All other types of discs play perfectly - DVDs, CD-Rs etc. So, I exchanged the Office for Mac disc for a new one, twice. I've got the same result so far on 3 discs. They are all original factory sealed Office discs. I tried getting support through the Appl...

Money 2004 Aliases
Used to be when my transactions downloaded, if I placed my mouse over the orange transaction, it would show the actual name of the original transaction. Now it just assigns the alias, and will not show the original. Any way to change that back? Sometimes it gets it wrong. ...

Administrator logging in to someone else's mailbox through OWA
Hi, In exchange 5.5's OWA, you put in the mailbox name, and after that it asked for the username/password to log in. This allowed me to set people's out of office message for them when they went out of town and asked me to turn on their out of office. How can I do the equivalent in Exchange 2003? Thanks in advance, Jason You could do it from OWA as well... -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Jason Kontkanen" <trash@ipdas.com> wrote in message news:eAi0$t6vFHA.596@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > In exchange 5.5's OWA,...

Money 2004
My wife has been using Money 2000 for a few years, then upgraded to Money 2004 and absolutely hates it. Is it possible to go back to Money 2000? I wanted to get an answer before I attempted anything, don't want to corrupt or lose the files we have. Thank you No Money is not backwards compatible, but when you upgraded to M2004 a copy of your M2000 file was made. If I have calculated right it will be called *.mn8. If you rename that as *.mny then it can be read by M2000 but you will have to reinput all transactions since you converted to M2004. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - ...

OWA
I set up secured Outlook Web Access with forms-based authentication and password change feature enabled. I also redirected http to https, and hardcoded the domain name in logon.asp. All works as expected except that when I set "User must change password at next logon", the OWA user can still log on with their old password without being forced to change it. Ideas why password change not being forced as desired? Thanks Sorry, let me clarify... As I said, I made some mods to the logon.asp. When I run with the modified version of logon.asp, the user can log on even though &qu...

Money 2002 compatibility to Money 2004
Dear friends: I use Money since 2000 and I have now Money 2002 working very well, but I want to update to Money 2004 and the files are not compatible ? Is that right ? Can someone tell me how to update from 2002 to 2004 without losing data ? Thanks and have nice hollydays Antonio Vasconcelos Portugal You are getting a message form M04 about M02 files being "incompatible versions?" See http://www.bollar.org/msmoney/#Q1. "Antonio Vasconcelos" <antoniov@multivisual.pt> wrote in message news:04aa01c3cbb3$6e0239d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I use Money since 2000 and ...

ISA 2004 server firewall service not starting after memory upgrade
HI, I have upgraed my ISA server 2004 with sp2 (installed in a PC) memory from 512mb to 1Gb . After that the ISA firewall service is not starting. If I remove the extra memory it works fine.Please let me know anybody having any clue!!!! thanks BM On 30 Sep 2006 06:32:07 -0700, bestinmathew@gmail.com wrote: > >HI, > >I have upgraed my ISA server 2004 with sp2 (installed in a PC) memory >from 512mb to 1Gb . After that the ISA firewall service is not >starting. If I remove the extra memory it works fine.Please let me know >anybody having any clue!!!! >thanks >BM ...