OWA access fails after a couple of days

I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 server running Windows Server 2003 SP1 configured
for OWA using SSL. The system works fine but every 2 days when someone
attempts to hit the OWA site they are prompted for their username and
password and after pressing enter a page not available screen shows up.

No errors are logged in event viewer and mail is sent and received fine
through Outlook; its just OWA clients that experience an issue. Restarting
IIS has no impact and the only way OWA functions again is to reboot the
Exchange server.
0
Frizzb (3)

Check your IIS logs during this time, do you see logon attemps being
made and any other info reported?

James Chong
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

Frizzb wrote:
> I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 server running Windows Server 2003 SP1 configured
> for OWA using SSL. The system works fine but every 2 days when someone
> attempts to hit the OWA site they are prompted for their username and
> password and after pressing enter a page not available screen shows up.
>
> No errors are logged in event viewer and mail is sent and received fine
> through Outlook; its just OWA clients that experience an issue. Restarting
> IIS has no impact and the only way OWA functions again is to reboot the
> Exchange server.

0
jamestechman (1266)
8/24/2006 6:19:20 PM
Today it happened again, only this time the users did not get a logon screen,
just a message that the page was down or could not be displayed.

Looking in the the ex060825.log from the windows\system32\logfiles\w3svc1
folder there are no errors logged; everything appears normal. No errors
appeared in any of the event logs either.

"jamestechman@gmail.com" wrote:

> Check your IIS logs during this time, do you see logon attemps being
> made and any other info reported?
>
> James Chong
> MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
> msexchangetips.blogspot.com
>
> Frizzb wrote:
> > I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 server running Windows Server 2003 SP1 configured
> > for OWA using SSL. The system works fine but every 2 days when someone
> > attempts to hit the OWA site they are prompted for their username and
> > password and after pressing enter a page not available screen shows up.
> >
> > No errors are logged in event viewer and mail is sent and received fine
> > through Outlook; its just OWA clients that experience an issue. Restarting
> > IIS has no impact and the only way OWA functions again is to reboot the
> > Exchange server.

0
Frizzb (3)
8/25/2006 5:20:02 PM
Try these first.

1. Reset your virtual IIS directories.

2. Second take a look at my blog on OWA loading... This was a unique
case I had with a client in which periodically users would experience
OWA loading, but a reboot would temporarily fix issue. You are not
getting the loading, but I would try this fix as well.

Summary

OWA exhibits loading... when logging into Outlook Web Access. A reboot
corrects this issue. There are multiple reasons why OWA exhibits
Directories or I.E settings, mismatched service pack levels when using
Front End\ Back End toplogies. A reboot temporarily corrects the issue.
However, this can also be caused if the username and passwords for the
IUSR_ComputerName and IWAM_ComputerName accounts are out of synch
within the IIS metabase and User Manager.

OWA Load...
http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_msexchangetips_archive.html

Frizzb wrote:
> Today it happened again, only this time the users did not get a logon screen,
> just a message that the page was down or could not be displayed.
>
> Looking in the the ex060825.log from the windows\system32\logfiles\w3svc1
> folder there are no errors logged; everything appears normal. No errors
> appeared in any of the event logs either.
>
> "jamestechman@gmail.com" wrote:
>
> > Check your IIS logs during this time, do you see logon attemps being
> > made and any other info reported?
> >
> > James Chong
> > MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
> > msexchangetips.blogspot.com
> >
> > Frizzb wrote:
> > > I have an Exchange 2003 SP2 server running Windows Server 2003 SP1 configured
> > > for OWA using SSL. The system works fine but every 2 days when someone
> > > attempts to hit the OWA site they are prompted for their username and
> > > password and after pressing enter a page not available screen shows up.
> > >
> > > No errors are logged in event viewer and mail is sent and received fine
> > > through Outlook; its just OWA clients that experience an issue. Restarting
> > > IIS has no impact and the only way OWA functions again is to reboot the
> > > Exchange server.

0
jamestechman (1266)
8/26/2006 4:41:14 PM
Resetting the IIS directories makes sense; will backing up the metadatabse
presever my SSL settings?

"jamestechman@gmail.com" wrote:

> Try these first.
>
> 1. Reset your virtual IIS directories.
>
> 2. Second take a look at my blog on OWA loading... This was a unique
> case I had with a client in which periodically users would experience
> OWA loading, but a reboot would temporarily fix issue. You are not
> getting the loading, but I would try this fix as well.
>
> Summary
>
> OWA exhibits loading... when logging into Outlook Web Access. A reboot
> corrects this issue. There are multiple reasons why OWA exhibits
> Directories or I.E settings, mismatched service pack levels when using
> Front End\ Back End toplogies. A reboot temporarily corrects the issue.
> However, this can also be caused if the username and passwords for the
> IUSR_ComputerName and IWAM_ComputerName accounts are out of synch
> within the IIS metabase and User Manager.
>
> OWA Load...
> http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_msexchangetips_archive.html
>

> James Chong
> MCSE M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
> msexchangetips.blogspot.com
>

> Frizzb wrote:
> > Today it happened again, only this time the users did not get a logon screen,
> > just a message that the page was down or could not be displayed.
> >
> > Looking in the the ex060825.log from the windows\system32\logfiles\w3svc1
> > folder there are no errors logged; everything appears normal. No errors
> > appeared in any of the event logs either.
> >
> > "jamestechman@gmail.com" wrote:
> >
> > > Check your IIS logs during this time, do you see logon attemps being
> > > made and any other info reported?
> > >
> > > James Chong
> > > MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
> > > msexchangetips.blogspot.com

0
Frizzb (3)
8/29/2006 3:08:02 AM
Yes, the backup of the metabase will contain your SSL info. You can
reset your directories without having to worry about this.

James Chong

Frizzb wrote:
> Resetting the IIS directories makes sense; will backing up the metadatabse
> presever my SSL settings?
>
> "jamestechman@gmail.com" wrote:
>
> > Try these first.
> >
> > 1. Reset your virtual IIS directories.
> >
> > 2. Second take a look at my blog on OWA loading... This was a unique
> > case I had with a client in which periodically users would experience
> > OWA loading, but a reboot would temporarily fix issue. You are not
> > getting the loading, but I would try this fix as well.
> >
> > Summary
> >
> > OWA exhibits loading... when logging into Outlook Web Access. A reboot
> > corrects this issue. There are multiple reasons why OWA exhibits
> > Directories or I.E settings, mismatched service pack levels when using
> > Front End\ Back End toplogies. A reboot temporarily corrects the issue.
> > However, this can also be caused if the username and passwords for the
> > IUSR_ComputerName and IWAM_ComputerName accounts are out of synch
> > within the IIS metabase and User Manager.
> >
> > OWA Load...
> > http://msexchangetips.blogspot.com/2006_07_01_msexchangetips_archive.html
> >

> > James Chong
> > MCSE M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
> > msexchangetips.blogspot.com
> >

> > Frizzb wrote:
> > > Today it happened again, only this time the users did not get a logon screen,
> > > just a message that the page was down or could not be displayed.
> > >
> > > Looking in the the ex060825.log from the windows\system32\logfiles\w3svc1
> > > folder there are no errors logged; everything appears normal. No errors
> > > appeared in any of the event logs either.

0
jamestechman (1266)

Charting in Access-challenge
Hi, I have a problem with combining excel charts with access database. All my tables in access have date in first column and some numeric data in the others. I managed to draw the chart but I have problems with axis. y axis should be the value of the bars (data from the tables) and I constantly get dates. Id number column is used for the x axis. Everything is mixed and i don't know how to change all that. I need x axis to be date, y axis to be value and the bars in the chart to represent series that are made from other columns of the table. I can do all this in excel, but i need help wit...

DTS Export fails on bad date
While trying to import an excel spreadsheet to a SQL Server table, DTS fails, pointing to a column with date values. I have looked at all the date values, and they appear correct. I need to get this excel spreadsheet loaded to a database table. Is there any way to pinpoint the exact cell causing the problem? Or, can you think of another way to export the data in the spreadsheet besides DTS that might not be so sensitive to data content? Thanks, Dean Slindee ...

In Outlook 2k w/Word as editor, e-mail style fails
I use Word as the editor under Outlook. When Word is open, the style box shows my name as a defined style for the text of a note. I have modified this style and applied it repeatly, but it will not "take." In my case, I'm stuck in 10-point type with a wide line length that make it very hard for me to read. Advice? Thanks. ...

Localized Access, Translation of Menues
Hi,I work with a localized version of Access and I have the problem thatI cannot explain how to do something if my correspondent has Access inanother language, because I don't know how the menus and options arecalled there.Is there somewhere a table showing the different menus and options indifferent languages (generally I need only German, French and English,in fact).ThanksMarco P yeshttp://babelfish.altavista.comOn Mar 7, 1:56 pm, "Marco Pagliero" <mart...@web.de> wrote:> Hi,>> I work with a localized version of Access and I have the problem that> I cannot exp...

OWA access problem
Hello I have exchange 2000 with SP3 on Windows 2000 with SP4, we have configure OWA to access mail from the outside of the company. Some computer can access mailbox without any problem and they have to put only one time user and pass,but some computer cannot because browser Continuously asking user, pass and domain name evnet we select the remember password. And at the end it say access is denied. There is another difference on some client accessing OWA from outside will get user name and password longin screen other may get the users, pass and domain why this difference? Nagori ...

Resource Units
I want to be able to have a resource, say 'electrician', with 5 available for the day shift and 2 available for the night shift. This would allow e to just assign the 'electrician' resource and have project level based on unit availability. If I setup 'electrician Day' and 'electrician Night', then I need to carefully select which to use and if the schedule shifts it is a nightmare. Any thought on how to do this? Thank-you! On Jan 6, 10:43=A0pm, John K <John K...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to be able to have a resou...

Suming Up Time over the course of days
I have a sheet the contains event durations on specific days. Some days have more than one event. I would like to add up all the event times for each day on a second sheet and (line) chart the results there. The list get longer with each event. Tuesday Nov.2 2010 10:16 am 00:37:22 Tuesday Nov.2 2010 08:28 am 00:15:48 Monday Nov.1 2010 08:30 am 01:03:07 Sunday Oct.31 2010 06:36 pm 00:09:20 Sunday Oct.31 2010 06:17 pm 00:03:26 Sunday Oct.31 2010 05:27 pm 00:07:42 Sunday Oct.31 2010 11:15 am 00:27:19 Sunday Oct.31 2010 08:56 am 00:45:26 Saturday Oct.30 2010 12:44 pm ...

OWA and GAL #2
Hi, Can anyone help me with an issue I am having with OWA and GAL access. I have 13900 users that are split up roughly into 13,000 students and 900 staff. There are two GALS one for students and one for staff. These work fine whilst using outlook 2003. My problem is with OWA. When students login they get to see everybody in the organisation which leaves staff open to email abuse on a large scale. I have looked into this problem and the only solution I can find is KB822940 which talks about changing the msExchQueryBaseDN attribute for each user. Am I missing some setting in OWA or is it t...

Error faced while accessing HR sub modules.
I am facing a message while accessing Orientation, Reiews, or Termination sub-modules from Setup --> Human Resources menu. It says "The HR Default Data tables were not found. Check the pathnames for the HR prouct". Hetal Your message did not indicate which version of Human Resources you are using. The problem your are experiencing is that some system tables do not contain required information for Human Resources. 1. For version 7.5, a batch file needs to be executed to load the data. Information can be found in the HR Setup and Installation Manual. 2. For version 8.0, t...

Mailbox size alerts
Hi, I've got a couple of issues that my MD has asked me to look into, wondered whether anyone on here could help me out :-) Is it possible to send the Mailbox Size Alert message to someone else as well as the mailbox owner? (in this instance I need to send a message to the owner of the mailbox AND their immediate superior) Also is it possible to issue warnings based on the number of e-mails as well as the size? My MD seems to think that anyone with a large amount of e-mails isn't managing their workload correctly! BTW I am running Exchange2003 on Windows2003 Server. Thanks in adva...

Access Denied when connecting to CRM 1.0
Hi, When accessing the MS CRM 1.0 Server I am always receiving the 401.3 error, access denied/unauthorised to access this resource etc... I am a domain user on a computer connected to the domain (SBS2003 with CRM running on a Win2K Server). IIS 5 is configured for Windows Authentication only and the web page is prompting for a username and password but failing for my domain user account however it succeeds for the domain administrator account. I have an MSDN edition of CRM and have licensed it successfully using the MSDN Subscriber Organisation etc. I am registered in the CRM as a user with ...

How to access SATA Harddisk?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to access the SATA Harddisk? My PC has 2 HDD, which are C and D. C drive contains XP SP3 system file and D drive contains document file. Recently, C drive harddisk occurs smart fail, and not able to work any more, when I connect D harddisk using external USB case, it cannot be detected on my notebook under window explorer, but Mass Storage Device can be seen under safe remove tools. Under tool device, this harddisk is classified as disk 1, it is described as "active" and "external" with no partition at all. This harddisk...

Using Mail Merge with Criteria in a Access query
Hi; In access 2000-2003 it was possible to use the Mail Merge function in Word to access a query that has criteria required for input. You can select the Word document and then the database is opened and the criteria box is opened for input (Enter Parameter Value). This then produces the data for the letters. It used a DDE connection between Word and Access. In Office 2007 the mail merge help document says to go to the Access database and select the query and lists how to link to an existing or new letter. The DDE connection is listed but does not attach to the query? It alway...

Failing to import the sample database: Adventure Works Cycle
I have installed the MSDN Subscriber version of MSCRM. I have installed the license key and have been awarded 6 professional key licenses. I have installed the system and is working. When I want to import the sample database I am getting an error that I don't have enough licenses. What should I do. Joachim, Did you already add the users to CRM? This is a common mistake people make. The sample data load will add the users into CRM and assign licenses to them. If you already did this, the 5 licenses are no longer available. You either need to remove the licenses form the users and...

Exchane 2003 & VPN access
Hi All I have an Windows 2003 / Exchange 2003 server. When I connect to it via a VPN connection, through RRAS on the same server, I have connection difficulties in Outlook on the remote laptop and cannot get outlook to connect to the server to synchronise. If however I open ports on our firewall to allow the IP of the laptops address through, all seems well. My question is what additional setup is required to allow the laptop to use the VPN connection to synchronise outlook and not rely on the laptops IP. I have the RRAS server issuing a public IP on connection to the VPN ? Any help would b...

Access Deleting a Query SQL
Hi all, I am working with a multiple parameter search query. The form I am using to conduct the search displays the results in a subform. I have gone through and really combed through the SQL to make sure there are no blatant spelling errors or incorrect references within the code. Anyways when I open the form that it is attached to, I keep getting the boxes described in this website http://allenbrowne.com/bug-13.html .. The form is open, and I even changed names of fields in the table in case SQL was choosing to be picky about what I named my fields. Is there anything else that would cau...

Deleting records in Access 2007 Runtime
I run my application in Access 2007 Runtime, but I can not delete any records. How can I delete records in Access 2007 Runtime? How can I make all the menus concerning data manipulation available in Access 2007 Runtime? The runtime is free but stripped-down version of access. The menus are one thing that are not available in the rutime. You will need to build your own menus to use in the runtime. Jeanette Cunningham MS Access MVP -- Melbourne Victoria Australia "alex" <alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16B9B95A-327B-47B3-884D-7AA64D88AB3...

MS Access & Citrix
Hi, all. We have a home-grown Access application that approximately 50 users use to access different, but related, databases on different Linux servers across the US. We are trying to combine all these different databases into one database that everyone can access through a Citrix server. In the initial (very) testing phase, we have found some strange problems with our Access app that may be related to the programming within the application or may be related to the Citrix side of things (although when we try to do an analagous task going just through Access itself we don't have the same...

March 11th Windows Update and VBA (dis)functionality in Access
Folks, I've programmed an AccessXP database that makes extensive use of VBA module code called via Macro in response to form object events. Since yesterday's Office Security updates (multiple), a particular module function called via macro has begun to throw Microsoft Visual Basic Run-time error 2427 - You entered an expression that has no value. On debug, it jumps to the second in a series of about 6 If/Else statement in which the [Object].Value is tested for content. The first appears to work correctly, but commenting out the following 5 items one at a time causes the func...

Mailbox Permissions
Having read through numerous posts, it seems my request may be the opposite to most others: Exchange 2003: As domain administrator, I am able to "Open Other User's Folder" and get their inbox open in my Outlook. I need to prevent access to mailboxes to anyone other than the owner and maybe any other system required entities. We are in the financial sector, and are heavily regulated. This goes against our security policies. I can see where I might remove permissions (mailbox store>properties>security>, however, I am concerned that by making changes I might break someth...

Getting "program trying to access addresses" message when sending email
Whenever I open up a new "Compose Mail" window and start typing addresses into the "To" field, Outlook brings up the message that a program is trying to access email addresses I've stored in Outlook, and asking whether I want to allow it. Any reason this is happening even though the program that's trying to access those addresses is Outlook itself? Do you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat 6 installed? If yes, you might have to disable the PDFMaker addin. In any event, check out this section http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems to s...

"oe removed access to the following unsafe attachments" ?????
apparently outlook express is not allowing me to open attachments it deems as unsafe. i can't open trusted email attachments. how can i turn this off? In news:045101c36126$7eab8f90$a601280a@phx.gbl, jz13 <jz13@pacbell.net> typed: > apparently outlook express is not allowing me to open > attachments it deems as unsafe. i can't open trusted email > attachments. how can i turn this off? Outlook Express does this by default, for any file type which *can* contain a virus. It's not a virus checker, doesn't actually check the attachments, and this doesn't mean...

HTTP Access
I had to re-install my IIS server due to general problems, now i have done that i can no longer access my Mailboxes Via HTTP access. Does any one know how i can recreate these? Thank you if you reinstalled IIS which is a core in all messeging actions on the exchange server(2000,2003), you should run the exchange setup again with the /disasterrecovery switch in order to restore the definitions. -- Omer Maydan MCSE,Security+ "J Speed" <J_speed259@fsmail.net.INVALID> wrote in message news:OnK58QdiEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I had to re-install my IIS server due...

Day to day number of not answered requests
Hi, I'm having a following table : A request id B request detail C request date D answer date Is there a way, with a pivot table, to get the following table : A date B number of not answered requests ?? -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com How about: =COUNTIF(D2:D65536,"")-COUNTIF(C2:C65536,"") This will give an incorrect answer if there are any answer dates without request dates. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "n61 >" <<n61.18cj37@excelforum-nospam.com>...

2004 is out. I bought 2003 like... four days ago
I wonder if they'll "cut a deal" since I just bought 2003 only days ago, Microsoft, that is. Damaeus You should be able to return money 2003 with the 30 day guarantee if you're in the US. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it's a UK specific wish. I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "Damaeu...