OWA 5.5 on Server 2000 reinstall... "Access is Denied"

I have seen all sorts of suggestions here and MS articles on this
issue... none of which help.

I know exchange 5.5 runs on a 2000 server. In fact, I had it running
flawlessly for over a year on it, so that is not the issue.

One day, it was giving me issues, not taking anyone to thier mailbox,
locally, or on the internet. I couldnt even get in a mailbox by logging
into OWA on the OWA server.

Long story short, me and 2 other very qualified and trusted techs tried
everything and as a last resort, I decided to reinstall Windows Server
2000 on this machine and start anew.

No dice...

I still get this error message right after entering the name of my
exchange server:

"Access is Denied

Microsoft Windows NT

ID no: 0xc0020005"

I know some folks will want to paste the tech article on how to resolve
this issue, but let me save you some time and I will post it for you
(because nothing on it resolves the issue)...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q170472/

I tried uninstalling the service packs and got the error and since i
only had SP3, I am installing SP4 to see if that helps...

thanks in advance!

JAzz Mann

0
jbraly (36)

Hi,

See if this helps: http://www.brienposey.com/kb/required_OWA_Permissions.asp

Leif

"Jazz" <jbraly@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have seen all sorts of suggestions here and MS articles on this
> issue... none of which help.
>
> I know exchange 5.5 runs on a 2000 server. In fact, I had it running
> flawlessly for over a year on it, so that is not the issue.
>
> One day, it was giving me issues, not taking anyone to thier mailbox,
> locally, or on the internet. I couldnt even get in a mailbox by logging
> into OWA on the OWA server.
>
> Long story short, me and 2 other very qualified and trusted techs tried
> everything and as a last resort, I decided to reinstall Windows Server
> 2000 on this machine and start anew.
>
> No dice...
>
> I still get this error message right after entering the name of my
> exchange server:
>
> "Access is Denied
>
> Microsoft Windows NT
>
> ID no: 0xc0020005"
>
> I know some folks will want to paste the tech article on how to resolve
> this issue, but let me save you some time and I will post it for you
> (because nothing on it resolves the issue)...
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q170472/
>
> I tried uninstalling the service packs and got the error and since i
> only had SP3, I am installing SP4 to see if that helps...
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> JAzz Mann

thanks for the speedy reply... but that isnt the issue.

Permissions on exchange server havent changed since it was working.

0
jbraly (36)
3/6/2006 7:25:45 PM
Good news... kind of...

After applying every update and service pack known to man for Server
2000 I still could not install OWA 5.5

So, as a last resort, I re-reinstalled server 2k and applied NO updates
and NO SPs.

Installed OWA like a charm....

now, the hard part:

What service packs SHOULD i install? What SPs shoudl I not? Where
should I stop on the Windows updates? I am afraid to do too much for
fear of it not working again...

please help :(

thanks in advance!
JAzz Mann

Jazz wrote:
> thanks for the speedy reply... but that isnt the issue.
>
> Permissions on exchange server havent changed since it was working.

0
jbraly (36)
3/6/2006 11:18:33 PM
You should install the latest service pack.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Good news... kind of...
>
> After applying every update and service pack known to man for Server
> 2000 I still could not install OWA 5.5
>
> So, as a last resort, I re-reinstalled server 2k and applied NO updates
> and NO SPs.
>
> Installed OWA like a charm....
>
> now, the hard part:
>
> What service packs SHOULD i install? What SPs shoudl I not? Where
> should I stop on the Windows updates? I am afraid to do too much for
> fear of it not working again...
>
> please help :(
>
> thanks in advance!
> JAzz Mann
>
> Jazz wrote:
>> thanks for the speedy reply... but that isnt the issue.
>>
>> Permissions on exchange server havent changed since it was working.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
3/7/2006 2:47:01 AM
The latest Exchange service pack you mean?

I am afraid the latest server 2000 service pack was the problem....

0
jbraly (36)
3/7/2006 1:15:22 PM
Update to those who in the future who may need this info:

Updated to SP4 for exchange 5.5. Works like a dream.

Installing server 2000 service pack 3 (Avoiding 4, assuming that to be
the cause of the problem)

more to come...

0
jbraly (36)
3/7/2006 3:47:25 PM
Installed Service Pack 3...

same issue came back up from the start... OWA unable to get to inbox.

Uninstalling SP 3... suppose I will try SP2?

0
jbraly (36)
3/7/2006 4:33:36 PM
Service pack 2 installed... OWA works fine...

I hope there are no major issues with SP2 in this regaurd, because I
cant upgrade further without fear of it not working again.

Jazz Mann

Jazz wrote:
> Installed Service Pack 3...
>
> same issue came back up from the start... OWA unable to get to inbox.
>
> Uninstalling SP 3... suppose I will try SP2?

0
jbraly (36)

Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005)
Hopefully someone here can tell me I'm an idiot and there is an easy solution to this. I'm unable to get the SSP running in Sharepoint. While searching around I've found quite a few places where people are runnig into the same error, but no definite solution. I suspected this has something to do with permissions between the SQL and MOSS servers, but I've gone through all the account requirements in the prerequisites and I can't find what I've done wrong. I'm running MOSS 2007 in the test lab on 2008 server (SRV04) in a Hyper-V virtual environm...

"Access is denied" error in Outlook 2007
Hi, I get an error message when trying to open web-links contained in any message in my outlook 2007. I have just upgraded from OL2003 and previously had no issues. I cannot find anywhere to modify the security options for this. If I click on the link a second time, I am prompted to choose a program to open the file with, and if I choose my web browser it's OK, but this happens with every link I get. I am running WinXPPro SP2, no google desptop installed, C.A. 2008 FW/AV/AS. Any help appreciated. Cheers, Bubba what exactly does the error say? (many dialogs can be copied as text) ...

Access Is Denied
Dear Mdm/Sir, When I try to access a file that share at the server, I was received an "access is denied" error message. The file and folder was confirm that everyone have read only access. But when I re-try again, it work fine. So May I know what is going on ? Is it the hardware limitation or the software limitation ? Thank You ! I'm using MS Excel 2000 and Server is windows 2000 server. Reg, William It sounds to me like you were shut-out at the software level, and when you called up and inquired, they just gave you access at that time and pretended like you had it al...

Curious "Access Is Denied" Error When Synchronising Offline Folders
Hi all, I have a curious error when a user synchronises offline folders. All of our users "My Documents" folders are held on a server via group policy. Workstations do not use synchronised offline folders, they are simply diverted to the server for their "My Documents" Laptops however (for obvious reasons) use synchronised offline folders for their My Documents. They are also stored on the server, but synchronisation occurs to hold a local copy for when they are out of the office. This all works a treat for about 120 users (50 laptops). One user however ...

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM "Access is denied"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545 hello, i'm receiving the following "Access is denied" when i type "md tmp" to start the recovery commands. is there a way around this? i do not have an admin password setup, help... thanks! -Vic When first at the Recovery Console you are presented with a list of Windows installations. The first thing that you must do is select the Windows installation that you wish to logon to. Did you type in the number of the Windows installation (usually 1) and then press <Enter> to logon to the installation? ...

Live Onecare Error: "INF Install Failure. Reason: Access is Denied
Hi, Sorry if this is the wrong discussion group. When Live OneCare starts its tune-up (the beginning of the first task in its list, "Remove unnecessary files") a popup box shows up saying "INF Install Failure. Reason: Access is Denied". I don't see anything int the Problem Reports And Solutions tool, nor do I see anything conspicuous in the Windows Event Viewer. I'm not sure if I need to be concerned, but I would like the notification to stop regardless. Any advice appreciated! Using Vista Home Pro on a Toshiba Satellite. Since this is a Macintosh Offi...

Error 401.1
Hi, I made a button that calls a application using an xmlhttp object. The app is in the defaultapppool of the iis. If i push the button when working on the server, it works fine. However, from a client, I get prompted for login and pwd 3 times then get that error. I've searched the net and found multiple explanations, but none that was really satisfying. Please help, Thanks ...

pst-File access is denied Office XP
I am unable to import my personal file folder. The dialog box says "File access is denied. You do not have permission required to access the file.pst. I exported it using the wizard. I never protected it with a password. The problem was noticed after I reformatted the hard drive and reinstalled Office XP. Please Help!!!!! jaynkelley@hotmail.com Make sure the file is on a read/write medium and that the Read Only file property is not selected. Then connect to the file by File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting ...

HTTP Error 403
Suddenly I am facing a funny problem with my Exchange 2003 OWA. When the user connects throught the OWA for first time in a day it throws up an error ------------------------------------------------- You are not authorized to view this page HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. Internet Information Services (IIS) ------------------------------------------------- The moment user hits referesh the web-page opens properly without any problem. Again if the same user try to connect to the server immediately it works. But after a while say after 1 hour if he connects then he gets the...

HTTP Error 403.1
hello all, I have installed CRM 1.2 on a Windows SBS 2003 with SQL SP4. I make an additional CRM folder in ISS and change the port from 80 to 8083. Now we get the following error After we login to CRM: The page cannot be displayed You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please try the following: Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory should allow execute access. HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbid...

OWA access is denied error
I am getting access is denied on my OWA. Right now, it looks like domain admins and the administrator can get in, but no one else. Just gives me ERROR: ACCESS IS DENIED I have went to the ExchWeb folder, and made it to where the authencated users have the correct permissions, also did this in IIS. Any other ideas? Dennis Try these: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327843/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883380/en-us Nue "Dennis Burgess" <dmburgess@surdyk_e.com> wrote in message news:er$qjyWPGHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >I am getting access is denied on...

Access is denied: 'Microsoft.CRM.Proxy'.
This error appears randomly while I am compiling and running my .NET app that using the CRM proxy. Anyone have an idea of what is causing it? It resolves itself within a few minutes and I can run the app locally again... Thanks! from where did you reference the proxy dll? is it in your project bin folder or in the crm bin folder? -Gary "Kristina Ledford" <noemails@noemails.com> wrote in message news:eHAr7y9lDHA.976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > This error appears randomly while I am compiling and running my .NET app > that using the CRM proxy. > > Anyone have a...

OWA 5.5 on Server 2000 reinstall... "Access is Denied"
I have seen all sorts of suggestions here and MS articles on this issue... none of which help. I know exchange 5.5 runs on a 2000 server. In fact, I had it running flawlessly for over a year on it, so that is not the issue. One day, it was giving me issues, not taking anyone to thier mailbox, locally, or on the internet. I couldnt even get in a mailbox by logging into OWA on the OWA server. Long story short, me and 2 other very qualified and trusted techs tried everything and as a last resort, I decided to reinstall Windows Server 2000 on this machine and start anew. No dice... I still ge...

403
Hoje, ao tentar fazer update do Windows XP com SP3, recebo o seguinte erro: 403 - Forbidden: Access is denied. You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied. ISto está-me a acontecer em todas as máquinas!!! O erro 403 é devolvido pelo servidor web quando não tens permissões para aceder a uma página ou recurso partilhado no servidor web. Qual o endereço que estás a tentar aceder? Estás atrás de algum proxy? --- Jorge Moura [MVP] http://ojmoura.spaces.live.com http://...

HTTP Error 403.1
After installation CRM 1.2 on Win 2K3 server when trying to open http://localhost or http://CRM_servername You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed. ________________________________________ Please try the following: =B7 Contact the Web site administrator if you believe this directory should allow execute access. HTTP Error 403.1 - Forbidden: Execute access is denied. Internet Information Services (IIS) ________________________________________ Technical Information (for support personnel) =B7 Go to Micr...

Access is denied
Hi, Sometimes I receive the following Javascript error on the MS CRM 4.0 Web Client Line: 28 Char: 1 Error: Access is denied Code: 0 URL: http://sbssrvr:5555/<orgname>/_root/homepage.aspx?etc=1 When I restart MS CRM 4.0 Web Client, all works fine. Any help is appreciated. Thanks ...

::SetWindowsHookEx(WH_CBT, ...) returns Access is denied when called from Win 2003 IIS.
VS 2008 Windows 2k3 Server We have an ActiveX control that is quite complex. The ActiveX control uses MFC controls and windows to display it's elements. We need the functionality in the ActiveX control to be available from a Web UI. We have a C# back end that instantiates an Out-of-proc COM server. The Out-of-proc COM server, creates some hidden windows to house the ActiveX control and then creates the ActiveX control and passes to it whatever request the C# back end sent. While creating the ActiveX control, Wincore.cpp::AfxHookWindowCreate(CWnd*) gets called. This function cal...

Outlook throwing 'Access is Denied' errors when using My Documents shortcut
Hi, I have a problem with a few laptop users which seems to be isolated to Outlook. All the laptops are using XP SP2. Our setup is such that the users my documents automatically maps to a network folder - This works fine through explorer, but when trying to access it via Outlook (save as an attachment for example), it returns access denied and fails to open the my documents folder. This works fine from other applications such as word.... The my documents folder has offline caching enabled. I had initially thought an update to McAfee VirusScan had solved this problem, but apparently it hasn...

CRM 403 forbidden: access is denied
We've installed CRM on a 2k3 server, another 2k3 server hosts our SQL installation (which was used during initial setup). We have configured the IIS application pool that CRM is running under to run under a domain administrator account. We are still receiving the 403 error --> any help would be greatly appreciated Are the CRM web pages configured to .NET 1.1? -- Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM The Norwich Group Partnering with Partner's on MS Dynamics CRM "Garnet" <Garnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A805FD99-E8C0-4E8B-A669-FA136A578492@microsof...

Shorcut to Public Calendar "Access is Denied" (Syntax?)
Hello, I am trying to create a link to our public calendar. When I run "outlook:Public Folders\All Public Folders\Staff" Outlook opens but then I get: Internet Explorer Script Error Line: 298 Char: 1 Error: Access is denied URL: outlook:Public Folders\All Public Folders\Staff -or- If I use the command: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\outlook.exe" /select outlook:Public Folders\All Public Folders\Staff I get a dialog box that says: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to display the selected folder or item. Is there a problem with the way I'm...

New CRM Install Error: Access is denied to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTData
We are trying to install a new instance of CRM with CRM being installed on a VMWare and SQL server being on a remote normal OS environment and this is the error we received. Any ideas? 13:09:52| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Access is denied to 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\FTData', or the path is invalid. Full-text search was not installed properly. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() at Microsoft.Crm.Setup.DatabaseInstaller....

File Access is Denied....Argh!
Hi, I purchased a Sony Vaio laptop. Included is a trial edition of MS Office. I tried to import my .PST file that I copied from my last computer. I received the message: "Access is denied. You do not have permission required to access the file F:outlook.pst." Of course, there was no help file to explain what to do next or solve the problem. So, I went to the MS website and signed up for the MS Passport program, against my wishes; but it was required to get service to solve this problem. And then after all the hoops they made me jump through, they tell me that the pro...

Password problem. --- File access is denied.
I have Outlook version 2000-SR1 I am trying to open a .pst file that I archived some email in two years ago. Back then I was using a different PC and maybe I had a logon. I don't remember. This is just my home PC. I'm not on a fancy work network. All I want to do is look at my old email. When I try to open the .pst file I get an error: Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use. Then I click OK and I get a new error: File access is denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file <pst file name> What can I do? Right click on th...

Access is Denied error
Hello, I have installed the Sales for Outlook. During Online, I can access all of the Microsoft CRM folders. However, when I am Offline, I can not access all the Microsoft CRM subfolders. I received the error below on the event application log. While Offline, I can create contacts, emails, etc. MSCRM Platform Error Report: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------- Error: Access is denied. Error Message: Access is denied. Error Details: You do not have sufficient permissions or access rights to perform this operation. Sour...

Outlook5.pst could not be accessed. Access is denied.
Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook5.pst could not be accessed. Access is denied. Nice error message, eh? How, how about some details. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: csparks <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not | access the specified folder location. The file ...