OWA 2003 prompting to install office?

Hello,

We have a single server environment:  Windows 2003, Exchange 2003, OWA 2003.
Some users are having problems using OWA.  When trying to compose a new
message, or forward a received message, they are prompted to install some
missing feature of Outlook 2000 (DATA1.MSI)..

Any idea what is causing this?!

Thanks,
Troy

Hi Troy,

Take a look at..

http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2003/12/i_hope_youve_
ha.html

"Have you wondered why, when you first use OWA 2000 and
2003, and click the New Message icon to create a new
message, the Office Installer is fired-up and you're
prompted for the Office CD? Technet articles 257886 and
298110 explain that "If you install the multimedia
extensions for OWA, and you did not install HTML Source
Edit as an option when you installed Office 2000, the
first time you use OWA, the Office 2000 installer program
starts and asks you to insert the Office 2000 CD-ROM.".
The problem also occurs because Office 2000 creates a
registry entry when it is installed on Windows 2000, which
points to the Office Installer. this string value can be
changed to resolve the problem."

Good luck,

Chris
www.msexchange.co.uk

0
cm9033 (17)
1/8/2004 11:40:00 AM
Thanks Chris!   Is this only a problem on clients with Office 2k?  Did it
"go away" with Office XP?

Also - do you know of a way to fix this from the server end?  I'm don't
remember specifically installing "Multimedia extensions for OWA"...

Thanks,
Troy

In article <#PJ7V0e1DHA.2448@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, N0-Spam-
troy.bruder@aptconsulting.com says...
> Thanks Chris!   Is this only a problem on clients with Office 2k?  Did it
> "go away" with Office XP?
>
> Also - do you know of a way to fix this from the server end?  I'm don't
> remember specifically installing "Multimedia extensions for OWA"...

I have clients running Office '97 with Outlook 2000 and they have seen
this popup when connecting to an Exchange 2003 server for OWA. So I'd
say it's probably not *only* Office 2000 related.

--
John LeMay
kc2kth

Publisher 2003: how can I make a text box into a differnt shape.
I am trying to change the shape of a textbox or put text into other shapes. Right-click the autoshape, add text. The text will not conform to the shape. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "nathan" <nathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9636039D-0D50-4316-9C9D-1E1D7FAD444A@microsoft.com... >I am trying to change the shape of a textbox or put text into other shapes. Mary Sauer wrote: > Right-click the autoshape, add text. The text will not conform to the > shape. >> I am ...

Strange Outlook 2003 issue
I have a client running Exchange Server and Outlook 2003. The issue she has (and it only seems to be the one user), is this: When sending some emails, whether to a group or an individual user; internal or external; the email goes into both Sent and deleted items at the same time with a header that says 'This email has not been sent'. When we check with the recipient they have received the email. There does not seem to be any consistency with this, we have tried sending to the same sender and all ok, we have tried sending with and without attachments...nothing seems to make any d...

Win 7 keeps installing kb890830 malicious software removal
Windows keeps installing update kb890830. IF I allow it, a scan starts (mrt.exe) and that takes 1 core of my cpu fully loaded for hours. After about 15.000.000 I/O readings it is done scanning. It takes ages. But then I expect it to stop running, but after a while (15 minutes or so) it starts again with the question whether I want to run it again. That happens all the time. When I delete everything I can find of that update (mrt.exe etc.), windows says it found a new update and asks if I want to install that update. When I then choose to hide it and close my windows update s...

since 2008 install safari downloads append .dot .pot .xla #2

MS Word 2003 Saving
I have MS Word 2003 and am having troubling saving documents. The options of Save and Save As are visible, but when I click them nothing happens. Please advise. ...

Exchange 2003 default message size won't go beyound 10 megs
We are not able to send or receive attachments larger than 10 megs even when the AD settings are cranked up to 50 megs. When the default message size for inbound and outbound are changed to anything abouve 10 megs, the server will still behave as if it is only allowing 10 megs. We get the NDR 5.2.3 kickback email from the Exchange server each time we make a settings change and send out a test email. We have Exchange storage limits in place, but they should not affect the message size. Thanks! -- ITJTR ...

Exchange 2003 DR: parallel universe really necessary for full sys
We are in the process of adding to our DR plan for exchange 2003 Enterprise. -our exchange 2003 enterprise resides on its own server. -our DCs (2) reside on their own servers (that is the exchage server is NOT a DC). -exchange runs on windows 2003 enterprise SP1. -os and apps reside on their own hard disk -logs reside on its own disk -databases reside on it's own disk From my readings I understood that previous version of Exchange required a "parallel universe" to exist in order to rebuild exchange after some disaster--not so with Exchange 2003 (or did i misunderstand?). By...

Group rights to mailbox on Exchange 2003?
Found this thread when trying to fix assignment of a group onto a mailbox on exchange 2003. Only the user can be successfully assigned as the group seems passive on mailbox rights. I have many users that maintain a single mailbox used for scheduling meeting room via calendar request. To date I have only been successful with individual users although I can add a group this has no effect for rights. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Tom. "Mark N." wrote: > > Mark > > > > It's explained in the following KB article. > > > > http://support.m...

Installing CRM 4.0 Issue
I am getting the following message in the log file after trying to install CRM: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot drop the table '#MetadataPublishCollect', because it does not exist or you do not have permission CRM looks mostly installed but it fails to load. I am installing CRM with a service account which has SA rights on the database instance. I am using an XML based silent install. This is a two server installation, application server is Windos 2003, database server is SQL Server 2005. An ideas? ...

Hotfix for KB 969168 fails to install. Now what?
I'm trying to run Office XP on a new cleanly-installed Windows 7 64 bit system. I get the exact symptoms as described in KB article 969168 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969168), concerning the need for the missing Microsoft Agent. So I requested and received the associated hotfix. When I go to install the hotfix, the install fails with "not applicable to your computer." Needless to say, the Office XP problem remains. What do I do next? Also, Outlook does not retain the email account passwords, even though the "remember password" box is checked...

Office errors
Hi: I have Windows2000 Pro with sp2 installed. Also I have Office2000 professional. Recently, my office programms have some problems: 1.Word does not work well but I can open it. 2.Excel doesn't open at all. I've tried to reinstall them, no luck. any suggestions? Thanks a lot! One common solution is to clean up your windows temp folder. For excel: Sometimes, the file that holds the customized toolbar gets corrupted and causes excel heartache when opening. Use Windows start button|Find| and search for *.xlb. You may have to search for hidden files within hidden folders. But...

what fonts are required by office
Hi , the tech guy at my comapny made a mess out of my fonts and now wverytime I start Powerpoint it tells me a oriental looking font is missing. It gives me that message 5 times leading me to believe he removed 5 oriental fonts. i asked him to fix it and his answer was that it was a Microsoft problem. Yikes! It worked fine before. Can any of you help me on where to find the required fonts fro Office 2004 for the mac. Thanks! Office 2004 loads about 76 fonts on your machine, twice - once in your user font folder, once in the Microsoft Office 2004:Office:Fonts folder. Check the latter. In...

Message Body not Visible in Outlook 2003
I have a client that is having an issue with Outlook 2003 where the message bodies are not visible. It appears that most of the messages I have looked at with the problem are HTML, but I'm not sure about that. They do get some messages that are HTML that don't have this problem. The preview pane yields the same blank page. OWA displays the message fine. When the users opts to forward the message the body is displayed in the forwarded message. Anyone have any ideas about this problem? Thanks in advance, Lesa By the way, on the problem users in the network the workstations ar...

Outlook 2003 SP1 wipes out clipboard when it starts
Anyone know why clipboard gets cleared when Outlook starts? I can copy something to clipboard, start Outlook and it is gone when I try and paste it into a new email. I get a funky looking icon instead. I know clipboard is empty after Outlook starts because I try and paste copied text into a text editor and there is nothing to paste. If I do the same copy and paste after Outlook is up and running, it works fine. How do I fix this annoyance? ---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v2.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http://www.newsleeche...

Problem in installing sample Toaster Function driver on Windows 7
Hello Sir , I m a newbie to windows driver development, i was involved with linux driver development in past . I have downloaded WDK 7.1.0 and installed on my development PC with Win XP. I use WIndows 7 Debug Build (x86) on my target pc . I have compiled all the driver samples from WDK for Win 7 x86 Debug Build environment . Whenever I try to install the Toaster Function KMDF driver( wdfsimple.sys/wdffeatured.sys) on Windows 7 x86 target PC using "Add Hardware wizard" as per the steps described in WDK Documentation i get error box saying "...

Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the spec
I have Outlook 2003 with SP1 and a fully patched install point. Any machines that have this current install gets a message when trying to view public folders from the folder views. "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The operation failed." Any suggestions? ...

Can't load Office:mac 2008 Home & Student Edition
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) The docking bar shows all 4 applications but whenever I open Word, Excel, etc. I get the following message less than a second after opening "Microsoft has encountered a problem and needs to close" When checking for details I get these messages: Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS Application LCID: 1033 Extra app info. Reg: er Loc=0x0409 Also, when I attempted to install the most recent update I got the following message: "You cannot install office 2008 12.1.9 update on this volume. A version of the software required to install...

How to remove or automatically add /exchange in OWA
I've got a client who wants to just be able to type in email in the browser for OWA rather than http://email/exchange. Does anyone know how I can set this up to automatically add /exchange when they hit the server? Thanks, Mark PS. They are running E2K3 clustered with no Front-end servers. =?Utf-8?B?bW9pbmR5Y3Vicw==?= <moindycubs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:CF25244C-DDE0-4246-9DF0-68E0E0DF2EE4@microsoft.com: > I've got a client who wants to just be able to type in email in the > browser for OWA rather than http://email/exchange. Does anyone know > h...

OMA creates appointments that are an hour off, OWA doesn't
Hi all. We have installed the DST update to the Windows OS and installed the *666 patch on the SBS 2003 Exch server (SP2) as well. OWA and Outlook2003 are both able to create appointments, and they are recorded properly at the proper time and appear at the correct time when viewed in OWA or Outlook. However, OMA doesn't work as expected. Any new appts created with OMA are shown an hour later than they should be when they are viewed in OWA or Outlook. And any appointments created in OWA or Outlook are tagged in OMA as an hour earlier than they should be. In case it matters: W...

Uninstalling and downgrading from 2007 to 2003
Ok, here we go. My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old office 2003. What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and Calendar items. Import/Export seems to be disabled. Please help me. Thanks, emp emp <mklinge@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok, here we go. > My beta just expired and I would like to downgrade back to my old > office 2003. > What do I need to backup? and How do I do it? > > I need EVERYTHING from outlook. Mails, Folders, Tasks, Notes and > Calendar items. Since Outlo...

CRM 4.0 Outlook Client installation fails
We're having problems with installing the Outlook Client on a machine with Windows XP Pro (fully updated), SQL Express 2005 (fully updated) and Office 2007 (fully updated). The machine had another user on it who has left the company and we're re-deploying the machine. Unfortunately, we did *not* delete CRM for Outlook from the machine before deleting the previous User from the box. Any ideas on what is preventing us from a successful installation and how we might continue? Here's the error log from the installation: === Logging started: 4/8/2009 8:21:37 === Action 8:2...

I'm stuck in getting Office contact data base to connect with Off.
I'm stuck in getting my Office contact data base to mail merge t with Office Word to print mailing labels For an overview of these functions take a look here: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/printlabel.htm http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/mailmerge.htm -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "W. "Dee"" <WDee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42E06E19-B075-4AAE-AE1B-0B50C396849A@microsoft.com... > I'm stuck in getting my Office contact data base to mail merge t with > Office > Word to print mailing labels ...

Excel 2003 Macro ignores Arrow Keystrokes
Can't get ANY macro to work! *ignores relative references *ignores arrow keystrokes *ignores use of F2 *only offers VB for editing Macro security is low, there is no protection. Madness is near, help, please! ...

OWA from a windows 98 machine which is *not* a domain member
I have a new exchange installation and I would like to give some users access to exchange via Outlook Web Access via our intranet. We have a few crappy old PCs which are running Windows 98 which are not members of the domain. When I use Internet Explorer to browse to: http://servername/exchange I am prompted for username password and domain. After entering valid info 3 times all I get back is: "Error access is denied" OWA works great on all of our Win2K machines. Is domain membership a requirement for OWA or is there some other snap-in or something required for Win 9x? Thanks, S...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 #3
I already ran forestprep and domainprep, everything went well thanks to everybody that responded to my posts. the next step will be to install the Active Directory Connector, I have the new server that will be my exchange 2003 and will co-exist with 5.5. What should I look for when installing ADC and where should I do this step?? any articles and/or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance I'd strongly recommend downloading and reading the Exchange 2003 Deployment Guide: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=77b6d819-c7b3-42d1-8fbb-fe6339ffa1ed&a...