OWA 2003 #9

We are running exchange 2003 on a server 2003 domain and have recently added
~3200 users to our exchange/domain. These 3200 are only able to access email
through OWA.
Is there a way to track how many of these users are actually using their
email accounts? Would it be done through exchange or through domain
authentication? Can someone point me in the right direction please!
0
DaleHaman (2)

Dale-

One thing to note is that a user's mailbox won't show up int eh mailboxes
list of a store in ESM until the first time they logon. You could use the
little export button in the toolbar of MMC and then corssreference the
exported CSV with another list.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Dale Haman" <DaleHaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are running exchange 2003 on a server 2003 domain and have recently
added
> ~3200 users to our exchange/domain. These 3200 are only able to access
email
> through OWA.
> Is there a way to track how many of these users are actually using their
> email accounts? Would it be done through exchange or through domain
> authentication? Can someone point me in the right direction please!

0
desmondb (156)
11/24/2004 11:39:49 PM
Thank you Brian. This seemed like a great idea at first until I started
looking at the numbers. We are showing 90% of the mailboxes showing up in the
store. Only about 1% were logged in by the user last though. Most were logged
in by the Exchange system account for AV/Backup or some other reason.
Now I will assume since 10% are missing that the 90% means that these
accounts were logged into by the user at least one time. Does this sound like
a correct assumption? I think what I would like is something like has the
user logged into the account in the last week. Could this be done with
DSQUERY?

"Brian Desmond [MVP]" wrote:

> Dale-
>
> One thing to note is that a user's mailbox won't show up int eh mailboxes
> list of a store in ESM until the first time they logon. You could use the
> little export button in the toolbar of MMC and then corssreference the
> exported CSV with another list.

> Brian Desmond
> Windows Server MVP
> desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
>
> Http://www.briandesmond.com
>

> "Dale Haman" <DaleHaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We are running exchange 2003 on a server 2003 domain and have recently
> added
> > ~3200 users to our exchange/domain. These 3200 are only able to access
> email
> > through OWA.
> > Is there a way to track how many of these users are actually using their
> > email accounts? Would it be done through exchange or through domain
> > authentication? Can someone point me in the right direction please!

0
DaleHaman (2)
11/26/2004 7:25:04 AM
Dale-

Yes, you could do this with an ldap query. Probably a better option. Since
you have server2003, the lastLogonTimestamp attribute should do the trick
for you. It is only updated once a week, but, ulink the lastLogon attribute,
it is replicated. I personally prefer Joe Richard's adfind tool for this
sort of thing (free) - www.joeware.net.

> Thank you Brian. This seemed like a great idea at first until I started
> looking at the numbers. We are showing 90% of the mailboxes showing up in
the
> store. Only about 1% were logged in by the user last though. Most were
logged
> in by the Exchange system account for AV/Backup or some other reason.
> Now I will assume since 10% are missing that the 90% means that these
> accounts were logged into by the user at least one time. Does this sound
like
> a correct assumption? I think what I would like is something like has the
> user logged into the account in the last week. Could this be done with
> DSQUERY?
>
> "Brian Desmond [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Dale-
> >
> > One thing to note is that a user's mailbox won't show up int eh
mailboxes
> > list of a store in ESM until the first time they logon. You could use
the
> > little export button in the toolbar of MMC and then corssreference the
> > exported CSV with another list.
> >
> > --
> > --
> > Brian Desmond
> > Windows Server MVP
> > desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us
> >
> > Http://www.briandesmond.com
> >

> > "Dale Haman" <DaleHaman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > We are running exchange 2003 on a server 2003 domain and have recently
> > added
> > > ~3200 users to our exchange/domain. These 3200 are only able to access
> > email
> > > through OWA.
> > > Is there a way to track how many of these users are actually using
their
> > > email accounts? Would it be done through exchange or through domain
> > > authentication? Can someone point me in the right direction please!

0
desmondb (156)

Is MSO 2003 able to run on Windows7 64-bit
Hi I am currently running on windows 7 ultimate and would like to run my MSO 2003 for 32-bit version because i am dual booting win XP 32-bit and windows 7 64-bit when I want to open the office in windows 7 it shows "The operating system is not presently configured to run this application". Thanks It runs fine. How did you install it? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, James ...

Cannot connect Outlook 2003 to Exchange
I have a Windows XP PC, fully patched with Office 2003 connecting to a SBS2003 network. Everything has been working fine until this week. Now Outlook is unable to connect to Exchange, apparently with no cause. I have created new user profiles, uninstalled and re-installed office into a clean folder, removed the PC from the domain and re-instated it, stopped and restarted all the Exchange services all to no avail. I have also removed all the outlook profiles and created new ones. The only anomaly I have is that when I create a new Outlook profile and specify the server (which i did by IP) and t...

Outlook 2003 Account Changed by System
An outlook mail account changes it's POP mail server to "localhost" and login to username/mailserver each time the machine is rebooted and Outlook 03 is started again. Problem then arises of not being able to send mail successfully because of the relaying error. OS: WINXP PRO APP: Outlook 2003 Work around seems to be to login securely to the SMTP server to send mail but .... Is this a new way of doing it? Brad It is your antivirus or firewall software that is doing this. Turn off mail scanning in the AV and check your firewall configuration for mail scanning as well. ...

OWA Access
I’m having a problem accessing mailboxes on a newly added Exchange server (cluster server) via the front end OWA servers. I can access the mailboxes when using the address of the back end server in the browser (even from a browser running on the front end server). I get an error “401 5 0” at the end of the IIS log and I’m redirected back to the logon screen with the following message: You could not be logged on to Outlook Web Access. Make sure your domain\user name and password are correct, and then try again. Relevant Version Info! Front End Exchange 2003 SP1 Windows 2003 Exchange 2...

Create Outlook 2000/XP/2003 Rules in Deployment
Hi all, I am writing an Outlook Plug-In that filters all incoming mail for SPAM. So I am trying to figure out how to create an Outlook Rule (to call my code and dll) programmatically. So, does anybody know how to create an Outlook Rule programmatically, or how to copy an Outlook 2000 rule to another computer that is running Outlook 2000, XP or 2003? Thanks John Stratoudakis It's not really practical. While there is a Rule.dll COM component that = you can use with CDO 1.21 (see http://www.outlookcode.com/d/exstech.htm) = to create rules, all it can do is create very simple server-base...

Outlook 2003 error
I am using Outlook 2003 on a WinXP Pro PC in standalone (no Exchange connection). I am getting this error message when trying to access a folder from one of the shortcuts. Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Office Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The links in my favorites work just fine so the folders are still in tact and working as they should. The error occurs when I try to access via a link from my Today screen. This error started right about the time I started using Interenet Explorer 7 Beta but I'm not absolutely positive that is what set it off. Be...

publisher 2003 won't print borderless
I am trying to print a brochure with a four-way bleed. I set up for borderless printing on glossy brochure paper, but the program keeps defaulting to regular 8.5X11" letter paper and leaving a 3/4" white border. In 'page setup' under printer properties, I call for 8.5X11" borderless paper size, borderless printing, HP glossy brochure paper, and best printing quality. I have also set printer defaults to these settings. Print preview then shows the brochure as intended, borderless. Then I go to the File tab and Print, check all borderless settings, and click on OK....

Web access for Exchange 2003
What do I have to do in order to access my Exchange 2003 via the Web? thanks, Raul Rego rrego@njpies.org On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 14:39:53 -0500, "Raul Rego" <rrego@njpies.org> wrote: >What do I have to do in order to access my Exchange 2003 via the Web? > >thanks, > >Raul Rego >rrego@njpies.org > Check that you can access the server from within the network by going to http://server/exchange and then http://server.fqdn.com/exchange If that works then simply opening TCP80 on the firewall and implementing whatever NAT or port forwarding your specific network ...

Installing CRM on 2003 Web Edition
Has anyone installed CRM 1.2 on Windows Server 2003 Web Edition. The implementation guide is says it is a supported OS, I am planning on attaching WS03 Web Edition to an SBS 2003 server. I know that the supported configuration has everything on the single SBS box, but I would much rather put some things on other boxes. I am also planning on putting SQL Server on its own box as well. Any comments on this configuration? thanks, Geoff Hi, Beware that SQL Server cannot be installed on a Web Server edition ! -- Olivier Schmitt Microsoft Business Solutions Support Ce message est fourni...

Exchange 2003 Enterprise Capabilities
Hi guys, can anyone tell me if Enterprise Exchange sitting on Enterprise Server 2003 is capable of emailing 20 million users on a daily basis? The system would be running on a dual g3 Dell server, maybe a 1750 with a couple of Gb of ram and some NAS storage as a back-end. If not, do you know Microsofts recommended solution? Any help gratefully received. Not to take away from Exchange, but you can try Ironport as a gateway device to do the mass emailings. Just don't send me spam please. They do have really good MTAs for outbound mail. They also use Exchange as the back-end. A ...

multiple entries in outlook 2003
i have one user who has mulitple entries of users showing in his contacts window. I am not talking double entries (one must be a business fax), but more like 8 or 9 entries all the same. I exported his contacts to a csv file to see if they have slight differences but no they seem to be exactly the same. So far hea is deleting old ones, but they keep coming back. Now for the fun bit. It is not all users multiplying, just about 50% of them. it seems to happen every time he logs on he gets another replication. He also has the issue that if he creates a new contact in his contacts window it...

Visio 2003 pro Academic vs Commercial
I was wondering if there is any difference between the Academic and Commercial versions of Visio2003pro Thanks!! They are identical in functionality. Not sure if the Academic version would be eligible for an upgrade. EventStudio 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio Auto Layout and Generate Sequence Diagrams in PDF and MS Word ...

Money 2003: Change investment type from fund to stock
One of my investments was set up incorrectly as a mutual fund rather than a stock. Now when I sync with my brokerage website, it doesn't find the stock (since Money thinks it's a mutual fund) and it wants to add all the stock shares to my account as new shares. How can I change the investment type from mutual fund to stock from the Investments area? There are no menu options to do so and the online help doesn't provide any clues. I have several years worth of transactions for this stock, so I'd hate to have to re-enter them all. In microsoft.public.money, IanP. wrote: >...

Problem Changing from Average Costing to FIFO Perpetual (Version 9
Our company changed our inventory valuation method from FIFO Perpetual to Average Costing. After two months we reverted back to FIFO Perpetual. We now have a problem when we create a new SOP document. The cost that the system is retrieving on the document is the CURRCOST from IV00101, not the STNDCOST as we would expect. We have run the Change valuation method utility and have checked links and reconciled, but this behaviour continues. If we create a new item that have not gone through this FIFO to AVG to FIFO chance cycle it picks up the STNDCOST correctly. Any ideas? Thanks, J...

vbscript insert into access 2003 database with two different table
I am trying to insert data collected by WMI. Here is the script On Error Resume Next Const HKEY_CURRENT_USER = &H80000001 Const HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE = &H80000002 Const ForReading = 1 'Create FSO Set objFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 'Create an environment for the script to work Set wshshell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell") 'Connection to the database Set cnn = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") 'Connection to a Recordset Set objRecordSet = CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") 'Opens the Database ...

Outlook 2003 #354
Can receive but cannot send emails There will be an associated error message and number with this issue. Please post it in its entirety. The error message is the key to the problem. -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "DarbyG" wrote: > Can receive but cannot send emails DarbyG wrote: > Can receive but cannot send emails Thanks for sharing. Next time maybe you'll decide to provide some details. God doesn't read these posts. Usually you get one chance per potential respondent to elicit ...

OWA login problem #3
Initialy there was an error ASP 0115 Errors in IIS This what I 've done ; Click Start, point to Programs, click Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack, click Microsoft Internet Information Server, and then click Internet Service Manager. Expand Internet Information Server. Right-click the computer name, and then click Properties. In the Master Properties drop-down list box, click WWW Service, and then click Edit. Click the Home Directory tab, and then click Configuration. On the Process Options tab, click to clear the Enable Debug Exception Catching check box. Click OK to close the Application C...

Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager #4
It there anyway to get the outlook business contact manager information to sync with pocket pc 2003 outlook Try asking in microsoft.public.pocketpc.activesync as the folks who hang out there have all kinds of good links to third party programs. Outlook itself cannot do this. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Glen asked: | It there anyway to get the outlook business contact | ma...

Security descriptors in Windows Server 2003
Hello Expert(s) In windows 2003 SP2 server if we run "chkdsk /f" in data volume then the Chkdsk.exe utility incorrectly identifies and resets security descriptors to default value. Do you have any idea how to fix that issue because in my environment there servers with more than 500 GB data and needs chkdsk /f to be run. Cheers, AD The CHKDSK utility incorrectly identifies and deletes in-use security descriptors http://support.microsoft.com/kb/831374/ -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Pr...

False Positives in Outlook 2003 Junk Mail
I am the network engineer of a company. The mail server is running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 platform. My clients are running Outlook 2003 on an XP platform. In addition I have Semantec MS for Microsoft Exchange running on the server. I have it set up the server so that Semantec blocks email that has a SCL greater then 7 (which is very lax). Everything 7 or less gets through to the server. Then Exchange 2003 dishes all the mail to the users. The problem I am having is for some reason I get mail delivered to my Junk E-Mail folder in Outlook. But WHY? I have disabled it completely in Out...

Missing Function in Excel 2003
Dear All In Excel 2000 I used to use a function called "MS Access Form" , which was located under the DATA menu. Since I have upgraded the Office version to 2003, I cannot find this function anywhere in Excel. This function takes a highlighted table, and makes a suitable entry form in Access to facilitate the data entry process Best Regards and Thanks in advance Ahmed Gaafar You need to load the Access Links Add-In from the Tools menu. HTH, Greg "Ahmed Gaafar" <elameen@intouch.com> wrote in message news:1c60a01c42218$270e3ae0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Dear...

VBA to import 344 objects from 97 to 2003
I am looking to import a select list of tables, forms, queries, reports and macros from Access97 into Access2003. Yes this can be done by selecting each individual object, but I need to do this 5 or 6 more times before I do it for the final production copy. Pieter, Ken, and John have all been great resources in previous VBA questions, I would greatly appreciate any/all assistance. Thank you!!! The import dialog lets you select all items on the form. Since you're only talking 5 or 6 times, it's probably faster to do that, rather than bothering to write code to do it. -- Dou...

Free/Busy Info and OWA 2003 Issue.
Greetings! We are running Exchange 2003 Front-End, Back-End and Exchange 5.5 in a mixed mode. Exchange 5.5 does not host any mailboxes or public folders. They all were migrated to the Exch 2003 Back-End server .We are getting an issue where clients using OWA 2003 are not able to see the Free/Busy information for the other users when scheduling a meeting,however it works just fine with the old OWA 5.5 . This works also if people are using full Outlook client 2000,2003,XP - no problems with the Free/Busy time at all. Thanks in advance! Did you create a replica of the Free/Busy folde...

Audit mailboxes on exchange 2003
Hi guys, I need to grant a permission to a user to monitor few mailboxes. When I add a user through advanced exchange tab and give him read perm. then connect remote mailbox in Outlook 2003 and click on the mailbox - it tells me - unable to expand the folder. If I assign full acess to the mailbox to a user then I'm able to open and view e-mails etc. But I dont want a user to remove read/unread flags or be able to delete anything from the mailbox that he's monitoring. I needs to be on the background w/o users knowing it. How do I correctly do it? Is there any :snoopers: that ...

MST Creation for Publisher 2003
Hi, Wat is the best method of creating an MST for Customizing installation of Offoce 2003? I was going to use orktools.exe, Custom Installation Wizard, but as that's for Office products, and Publisher 2003 is not an office product, I am unsure... Thanks, Mike. -- Application Packager\Software Deployment Whoever told you that Publisher wasn't an Office application lied. (Sorry - that's a bit of a sore spot with me. Publisher is often overlooked by foolish people.) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555...