Outlook with Exchange over HTTP

Exchange Server 2003 SP2
Windows 2003 Standard SP1
Outlook 2003

I'm trying to set up outlook to connect to Exchange from outside the office
over HTTP but can't seem to get it to work.

I have pretty much the default installation of Exchange.  The complete
installation out Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the updates
applied on all systems.

I've gone in to configure the email and checked "Connect to my Exchange
mailbox using HTTP."

When I get home at night, I tried to bring up outlook, and it tried to
connect but eventually showed as disconnected and no new mail showed up.

I guess I'm trying to determine what I'm doing wrong.  I can connect fine
down at my office with the same configuration.  I am using all public IP
addresses at my office.  There is no firewall. At my house, I'm behind a
Netgear DSL Router using NAT.  But I don't think that would cause me any
problems.

What I'm not sure of is if my ISP is blocking any ports.

So...my best guess on why it's not working is that the connection is too
slow or there are ports being blocked at my office that are essential to
making this work.  Or maybe I didn't configure some element of Exchange to
make this work.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,
Gary

0
tuffboystl (23)

Gary,

Could it be the certificate which works from inside but not from outside? If
you're at home and you access your webmail with the browser by typing
https://webmail.mydomain.com - do you get an information tab about the
certificate or does the login window shows up directly?

Cheers Fabian

"Gary" wrote:

> Exchange Server 2003 SP2
> Windows 2003 Standard SP1
> Outlook 2003
>
> I'm trying to set up outlook to connect to Exchange from outside the office
> over HTTP but can't seem to get it to work.
>
> I have pretty much the default installation of Exchange.  The complete
> installation out Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the updates
> applied on all systems.
>
> I've gone in to configure the email and checked "Connect to my Exchange
> mailbox using HTTP."
>
> When I get home at night, I tried to bring up outlook, and it tried to
> connect but eventually showed as disconnected and no new mail showed up.
>
> I guess I'm trying to determine what I'm doing wrong.  I can connect fine
> down at my office with the same configuration.  I am using all public IP
> addresses at my office.  There is no firewall. At my house, I'm behind a
> Netgear DSL Router using NAT.  But I don't think that would cause me any
> problems.
>
> What I'm not sure of is if my ISP is blocking any ports.
>
> So...my best guess on why it's not working is that the connection is too
> slow or there are ports being blocked at my office that are essential to
> making this work.  Or maybe I didn't configure some element of Exchange to
> make this work.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>
> Thank you,
> Gary

The login window shows up immediately without any other dialog boxes.

"Fabian K�lling" <FabianKlling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Gary,
>
> Could it be the certificate which works from inside but not from outside?
> If
> you're at home and you access your webmail with the browser by typing
> https://webmail.mydomain.com - do you get an information tab about the
> certificate or does the login window shows up directly?
>
> Cheers Fabian
>
> "Gary" wrote:
>
>> Exchange Server 2003 SP2
>> Windows 2003 Standard SP1
>> Outlook 2003
>>
>> I'm trying to set up outlook to connect to Exchange from outside the
>> office
>> over HTTP but can't seem to get it to work.
>>
>> I have pretty much the default installation of Exchange.  The complete
>> installation out Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the updates
>> applied on all systems.
>>
>> I've gone in to configure the email and checked "Connect to my Exchange
>> mailbox using HTTP."
>>
>> When I get home at night, I tried to bring up outlook, and it tried to
>> connect but eventually showed as disconnected and no new mail showed up.
>>
>> I guess I'm trying to determine what I'm doing wrong.  I can connect fine
>> down at my office with the same configuration.  I am using all public IP
>> addresses at my office.  There is no firewall. At my house, I'm behind a
>> Netgear DSL Router using NAT.  But I don't think that would cause me any
>> problems.
>>
>> What I'm not sure of is if my ISP is blocking any ports.
>>
>> So...my best guess on why it's not working is that the connection is too
>> slow or there are ports being blocked at my office that are essential to
>> making this work.  Or maybe I didn't configure some element of Exchange
>> make this work.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Gary

0
tuffboystl (23)
8/23/2006 7:16:11 PM
Gary,

What's the FQDN of your server. If your local domain is mydomain.local and
the FQDN of your server is myserver.mydomain.local you have to add this FQDN
with the external IP in the hosts file of your client. Outlook tries to
access the Exchange Server by FQDN - so perhaps that's why it works internal
but not external. You can also add an additional entry in the registry under
RPC "webmail.mydomain.com:6001;webmail.mydomain.com;6002-6004" - I think it
was something like that. Then add webmail.mydomain.com with your local IP in
the hosts file of your exchange server. This way it works without the entry
to the hosts file on the client-side.

Cheers Fabian

"Gary" wrote:

> The login window shows up immediately without any other dialog boxes.
>
> "Fabian Külling" <FabianKlling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > Could it be the certificate which works from inside but not from outside?
> > If
> > you're at home and you access your webmail with the browser by typing
> > https://webmail.mydomain.com - do you get an information tab about the
> > certificate or does the login window shows up directly?
> >
> > Cheers Fabian
> >
> > "Gary" wrote:
> >
> >> Exchange Server 2003 SP2
> >> Windows 2003 Standard SP1
> >> Outlook 2003
> >>
> >> I'm trying to set up outlook to connect to Exchange from outside the
> >> office
> >> over HTTP but can't seem to get it to work.
> >>
> >> I have pretty much the default installation of Exchange.  The complete
> >> installation out Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all the updates
> >> applied on all systems.
> >>
> >> I've gone in to configure the email and checked "Connect to my Exchange
> >> mailbox using HTTP."
> >>
> >> When I get home at night, I tried to bring up outlook, and it tried to
> >> connect but eventually showed as disconnected and no new mail showed up.
> >>
> >> I guess I'm trying to determine what I'm doing wrong.  I can connect fine
> >> down at my office with the same configuration.  I am using all public IP
> >> addresses at my office.  There is no firewall. At my house, I'm behind a
> >> Netgear DSL Router using NAT.  But I don't think that would cause me any
> >> problems.
> >>
> >> What I'm not sure of is if my ISP is blocking any ports.
> >>
> >> So...my best guess on why it's not working is that the connection is too
> >> slow or there are ports being blocked at my office that are essential to
> >> making this work.  Or maybe I didn't configure some element of Exchange
> >> make this work.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >> Gary

I made the FQDN a real url.  So the name of my server is mail.mydomain.com.
And it is an A record in my DNS record for the domain.  It will resolve from
any computer.

One thing I thought was odd was that the server is not pingable.  That is
what caused me to wonder if there was a port blocked.  But I guess that
shouldn't matter since I can bring up the URL http://mail.mydomain.com.
Port 80 must be open.  So it can't be a port thing.

Could it just be the slow internet?  I have DSL....if it doesn't work for
DSL....I don't know who it was intended to work for.

Are those 600x ports for the regular exchange client?

Thank you for your help.

Gary

> Gary,
>
> What's the FQDN of your server. If your local domain is mydomain.local and
> the FQDN of your server is myserver.mydomain.local you have to add this
> FQDN
> with the external IP in the hosts file of your client. Outlook tries to
> access the Exchange Server by FQDN - so perhaps that's why it works
> internal
> but not external. You can also add an additional entry in the registry
> under
> RPC "webmail.mydomain.com:6001;webmail.mydomain.com;6002-6004" - I think
> it
> was something like that. Then add webmail.mydomain.com with your local IP
> in
> the hosts file of your exchange server. This way it works without the
> entry
> to the hosts file on the client-side.
>
> Cheers Fabian
>

> "Gary" wrote:
>
>> The login
window shows up immediately without any other dialog boxes.

>> "Fabian K�lling" <FabianKlling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message
>> > Gary,
>> >
>> > Could it be the certificate which works from inside but not from
>> > outside?
>> > If
>> > you're at home and you access your webmail with the browser by typing
>> > https://webmail.mydomain.com - do you get an information tab about the
>> > certificate or does the login window shows up directly?
>> >
>> > Cheers Fabian

0
tuffboystl (23)
8/24/2006 12:10:03 PM
Gary,

I'm confused that you speak about port 80. RPC over https just works with
port 443 and not 80?????In your Outlook settings where you configure RPC in
the first line you have to type in your Exchange Proxy (webmail.mydomain.com)
you see at the beginning of the line a https:// which means to me you have to
use https. Or am I wrong?

When you configured your Account - did you say this is an Exchange account??
What exactly did you type in the Proxy settings of your Outlook account?

Cheers Fabian

"Gary" wrote:

> I made the FQDN a real url.  So the name of my server is mail.mydomain.com.
> And it is an A record in my DNS record for the domain.  It will resolve from
> any computer.
>
> One thing I thought was odd was that the server is not pingable.  That is
> what caused me to wonder if there was a port blocked.  But I guess that
> shouldn't matter since I can bring up the URL http://mail.mydomain.com.
> Port 80 must be open.  So it can't be a port thing.
>
> Could it just be the slow internet?  I have DSL....if it doesn't work for
> DSL....I don't know who it was intended to work for.
>
> Are those 600x ports for the regular exchange client?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Gary
>
> "Fabian Külling" <FabianKlling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Gary,
> >
> > What's the FQDN of your server. If your local domain is mydomain.local and
> > the FQDN of your server is myserver.mydomain.local you have to add this
> > FQDN
> > with the external IP in the hosts file of your client. Outlook tries to
> > access the Exchange Server by FQDN - so perhaps that's why it works
> > internal
> > but not external. You can also add an additional entry in the registry
> > under
> > RPC "webmail.mydomain.com:6001;webmail.mydomain.com;6002-6004" - I think
> > it
> > was something like that. Then add webmail.mydomain.com with your local IP
> > in
> > the hosts file of your exchange server. This way it works without the
> > entry
> > to the hosts file on the client-side.
> >
> > Cheers Fabian
> >

> > "Gary" wrote:
> >
> >> The login
> window shows up immediately without any other dialog boxes.
> >>
> >> "Fabian Külling" <FabianKlling@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook Sales

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

using the journal on outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails