Outlook trying to connect to the wrong Exchange

I have some user's in my network that are traveling to remote offices. The
network is setup with Windows 2003 AD with two sites: head office (Office 1)
with 2 DC’s and remote location (Office 2) with another 2 DC’s. Also,
Exchange 2003 is setup with 2 sites, one in head office (Exch1) and one in
the remote office (Exch2). The users have their mailboxes setup accordingly
with their office location (ex: user working in Office 1 has his mailbox
setup in Exch 1). The offices are connected with VPN links.
When a user is traveling from the head office (Office 1) to the remote
office (Office 2) and is opening his email client, outlook will try looking
for the exchange on that remote office (Exch 2), instead to try connecting to
the head office (Exch 1).  Both his mailbox and his outlook are setup to
connect to Exch 1.
One way that I find to fix this problem is to delete and recreate the
outlook profile.

I've searched everywhere and cannot seem to find an answer to this.  Does
anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thank you in advance for your help!
0
MikeGrad (2)

Mike Grad <MikeGrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have some user's in my network that are traveling to remote offices. The
>network is setup with Windows 2003 AD with two sites: head office (Office 1)
>with 2 DC�s and remote location (Office 2) with another 2 DC�s. Also,
>Exchange 2003 is setup with 2 sites, one in head office (Exch1) and one in
>the remote office (Exch2). The users have their mailboxes setup accordingly
>with their office location (ex: user working in Office 1 has his mailbox
>setup in Exch 1). The offices are connected with VPN links.
>When a user is traveling from the head office (Office 1) to the remote
>office (Office 2) and is opening his email client, outlook will try looking
>for the exchange on that remote office (Exch 2), instead to try connecting to
>the head office (Exch 1).  Both his mailbox and his outlook are setup to
>connect to Exch 1.
>One way that I find to fix this problem is to delete and recreate the
>outlook profile.
>
>I've searched everywhere and cannot seem to find an answer to this.  Does
>anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

What are the network (IP) addresses of the two Exchange servers?

The Outlook client's going to use DNS/WINS/HOSTS file to resolve the
name to an IP address. If your two offices are both using, say,
10.1.1.0 as the network and you NAT the addresses between the two
offices you'll probably run into problems.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thank you,
Mike

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> Mike Grad <MikeGrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have some user's in my network that are traveling to remote offices. The
> >network is setup with Windows 2003 AD with two sites: head office (Office 1)
> >with 2 DC’s and remote location (Office 2) with another 2 DC’s. Also,
> >Exchange 2003 is setup with 2 sites, one in head office (Exch1) and one in
> >the remote office (Exch2). The users have their mailboxes setup accordingly
> >with their office location (ex: user working in Office 1 has his mailbox
> >setup in Exch 1). The offices are connected with VPN links.
> >When a user is traveling from the head office (Office 1) to the remote
> >office (Office 2) and is opening his email client, outlook will try looking
> >for the exchange on that remote office (Exch 2), instead to try connecting to
> >the head office (Exch 1).  Both his mailbox and his outlook are setup to
> >connect to Exch 1.
> >One way that I find to fix this problem is to delete and recreate the
> >outlook profile.
> >
> >I've searched everywhere and cannot seem to find an answer to this.  Does
> >anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?
>
> What are the network (IP) addresses of the two Exchange servers?
>
> The Outlook client's going to use DNS/WINS/HOSTS file to resolve the
> name to an IP address. If your two offices are both using, say,
> 10.1.1.0 as the network and you NAT the addresses between the two
> offices you'll probably run into problems.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

MikeGrad (2)
5/15/2005 1:22:01 PM
Mike Grad <MikeGrad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The Exchange servers are both in the 10.x.x.x range, but the DNS server on
>the Office 2 is resolving the right ip address for Exch 1, and also the MX
>record points  to Exch 1.

Are the two server in different DNS domains? If they are, are the
client's TCP/IP properties configured with both domains in the domain
suffix search order list?

DNS may be correct, but what about WINS. I've seen "stale" WINS
records cause all kinds of problem!

And, speaking of DNS, are the clients picking up the DNS servers (and
other properies) from DHCP or are they "hard coded" in the TCP/IP
properties? If they're hard coded, are the DNS servers reachable? And
are the ones being used by the clients the ones that you checked?

I don't think I've ever seen IP addresses in a MAPI profile (but it's
been a while since I looked). If there are only names in the profile
then it seems to me that name resolution isn't working right, or not
working the way you expect. But that wouldn't account for the problem
going away when you create a new profile.

What version of Outlook are you using? Have you modified the client to
use a specfic GC, or to use the closest GC, or is it using the GC
returned by the Exchange server?

There are lots of things that can go wrong. Finding the *one* might
take some digging. :)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

using the journal on outlook

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2