Outlook cannot connect after 20-30 minutes idle time

We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my user's
outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to correct
this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they experience
20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This happens on
4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro and
one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS outlook
2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i added
a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All of
the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the most
of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
resolve this issure?

Thanks

Rob

First thing I would do is run a virus scanner and spyware program over each
of the PCs to make sure there is nothing adding more activity and network
load. Then I would check the network configuration of each and check the
logs (system and application to see if there are any errors indicating what
is going on.

Have you tried cached mode

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870926

In the past when I have seen slowdowns in Outlook response it was due to
misconfigurations of network setting such as TCP/IP on client and servers.
Also network slowdown can be cause by excessive traffic.

You can monitor client performance as outlined in the this article

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3Perf_ScalGuide/e37b2de5-ac8d-4e92-9e18-85e13f8386ca.mspx

This article describes over all methods for monitoring Exchange

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3HighAvGuide/56f58284-431c-4a57-a8d5-b4a54082f12b.mspx

Thinks like some virus software can affect performance as well.

It's a very large area to pin point to exactly tell what is causing the
issue without spending some time monitoring an analizing.

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
message news:8083BFF4-13EE-4D66-92EC-1980E202EB77@microsoft.com...
> We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my
> user's
> outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to
> correct
> this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they experience
> 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This happens
> on
> 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
> and
> one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS outlook
> 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
> added
> a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All of
> the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
> most
> of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
> resolve this issure?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

0
exchange.mvp (559)
8/27/2005 2:43:57 AM
The first thing I would do is verify that DNS and WINS are working properly
and are properly specified on the client and server.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
message news:8083BFF4-13EE-4D66-92EC-1980E202EB77@microsoft.com...
> We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my
> user's
> outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to
> correct
> this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they experience
> 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This happens
> on
> 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
> and
> one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS outlook
> 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
> added
> a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All of
> the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
> most
> of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
> resolve this issure?
>
> Thanks
>
> Rob

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/29/2005 6:33:25 AM
Many people have told me to check that the client is pointing to the right
DNS server and the right WINS server, so maybe i'm not doing this correctly?.
 Both of those are on one server machine and all of the client's Outlooks is
assigned to get mail from that server.  To check the DNS service i just
opened explorer and typed in \\(servername) and it took me straight to the
correct server.  Is that the correct way to test if the DNS or WINS service
is running?  And  Plus the majority of my clients receive mail just fine.
"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> The first thing I would do is verify that DNS and WINS are working properly
> and are properly specified on the client and server.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
> message news:8083BFF4-13EE-4D66-92EC-1980E202EB77@microsoft.com...
> > We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my
> > user's
> > outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to
> > correct
> > this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they experience
> > 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This happens
> > on
> > 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
> > and
> > one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS outlook
> > 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
> > added
> > a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All of
> > the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
> > most
> > of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
> > resolve this issure?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rob

Our clients are scanned every evening at 8pm and i recently ran ad-aware on
all the computers
so i am pretty sure that is not it, though i will do it again tonight.  What
am i supposed to be looking for when you say check network configuration?  I
checked the system log originally but i didn't check application and it
stated there was a autoenrollment error and the group policy couldn't be
updated.  So i ran gpupdate and the policy was updated.  Microsoft also said
to turn off autoenrollment.  Does any of this sound like I am headed in the
right direction?

Thanks You So Much,

Rob

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" wrote:

> First thing I would do is run a virus scanner and spyware program over each
> of the PCs to make sure there is nothing adding more activity and network
> load. Then I would check the network configuration of each and check the
> logs (system and application to see if there are any errors indicating what
> is going on.
>
> Have you tried cached mode
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870926
>
> In the past when I have seen slowdowns in Outlook response it was due to
> misconfigurations of network setting such as TCP/IP on client and servers.
> Also network slowdown can be cause by excessive traffic.
>
> You can monitor client performance as outlined in the this article
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3Perf_ScalGuide/e37b2de5-ac8d-4e92-9e18-85e13f8386ca.mspx
>

> This article describes over all methods for monitoring Exchange
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3HighAvGuide/56f58284-431c-4a57-a8d5-b4a54082f12b.mspx
>
> Thinks like some virus software can affect performance as well.
>
> It's a very large area to pin point to exactly tell what is causing the
> issue without spending some time monitoring an analizing.
>

> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
> message news:8083BFF4-13EE-4D66-92EC-1980E202EB77@microsoft.com...
> > We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my
> > user's
> > outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to
> > correct
> > this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they experience
> > 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This happens
> > on
> > 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
> > and
> > one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS outlook
> > 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
> > added
> > a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All of
> > the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
> > most
> > of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
> > resolve this issure?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rob

I would verify them in the network settings.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
message news:3D3B6151-EA4C-4A67-AEE2-FA7CDCEB17D2@microsoft.com...
> Many people have told me to check that the client is pointing to the right
> DNS server and the right WINS server, so maybe i'm not doing this
> correctly?.
> Both of those are on one server machine and all of the client's Outlooks
> is
> assigned to get mail from that server.  To check the DNS service i just
> opened explorer and typed in \\(servername) and it took me straight to the
> correct server.  Is that the correct way to test if the DNS or WINS
> service
> is running?  And  Plus the majority of my clients receive mail just fine.
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> The first thing I would do is verify that DNS and WINS are working
>> properly
>> and are properly specified on the client and server.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:8083BFF4-13EE-4D66-92EC-1980E202EB77@microsoft.com...
>> > We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my
>> > user's
>> > outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to
>> > correct
>> > this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they
>> > experience
>> > 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This
>> > happens
>> > on
>> > 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
>> > and
>> > one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS
>> > outlook
>> > 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
>> > added
>> > a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All
>> > of
>> > the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
>> > most
>> > of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
>> > resolve this issure?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Rob

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/30/2005 12:23:55 AM
How do i verify DNS and WINS in the network settings?  Or actually, are you
refering to the outlook network settings or my local network adapter?

Thanks Again,

Rop

Right.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
message news:6818FB0C-C330-4CB2-8BBD-D5C5740DE6A8@microsoft.com...
> How do i verify DNS and WINS in the network settings?  Or actually, are
> you
> refering to the outlook network settings or my local network adapter?
>
> Thanks Again,
>
> Rop
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I would verify them in the network settings.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:3D3B6151-EA4C-4A67-AEE2-FA7CDCEB17D2@microsoft.com...
>> > Many people have told me to check that the client is pointing to the
>> > right
>> > DNS server and the right WINS server, so maybe i'm not doing this
>> > correctly?.
>> > Both of those are on one server machine and all of the client's
>> > Outlooks
>> > is
>> > assigned to get mail from that server.  To check the DNS service i just
>> > opened explorer and typed in \\(servername) and it took me straight to
>> > the
>> > correct server.  Is that the correct way to test if the DNS or WINS
>> > service
>> > is running?  And  Plus the majority of my clients receive mail just
>> > fine.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2005 1:18:34 AM
When you stated,"Right.", were you refering to the outlook settings or the
network adapter settings or both and what settings in each or either of those
am i checking?  Also is there any way to verify DNS and WINS?

Thanks,

Rob

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Right.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
> message news:6818FB0C-C330-4CB2-8BBD-D5C5740DE6A8@microsoft.com...
> > How do i verify DNS and WINS in the network settings?  Or actually, are
> > you
> > refering to the outlook network settings or my local network adapter?
> >
> > Thanks Again,
> >
> > Rop
> >
> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I would verify them in the network settings.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote
> >> in
> >> message news:3D3B6151-EA4C-4A67-AEE2-FA7CDCEB17D2@microsoft.com...

The network adapter settings.
The tool I use to verify DNS is NSLOOKUP.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
message news:D0006386-146F-4F77-91CC-8FD31CF73FBB@microsoft.com...
> When you stated,"Right.", were you refering to the outlook settings or the
> network adapter settings or both and what settings in each or either of
> those
> am i checking?  Also is there any way to verify DNS and WINS?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Right.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:6818FB0C-C330-4CB2-8BBD-D5C5740DE6A8@microsoft.com...
>> > How do i verify DNS and WINS in the network settings?  Or actually, are
>> > you
>> > refering to the outlook network settings or my local network adapter?
>> >
>> > Thanks Again,
>> >
>> > Rop

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2005 11:28:08 PM
All of these links to refer to 2003 windows and exchange.  I know the cache
mode on the outlook 2002 and exchange 2000 are not applicable but are the
other links applicable to the 2000 versions.  If not, wee are running
exchange 2000 and windows SBS2K and we have three clients with Outlook 2003.
Also I have netlogon errors every two hours from 75% of the workstations but,
no one has any problem logging on or staying connected to the domain.  Also
there are many usernev on the clients.  Is netdiag compatible with XP pro or
is it supposed to go on the server?  I tried installing and running it on an
XP client machine and i received this error:  The procedure entry point
DnsGetPrimaryDomainName_UTF8 could not be located in the DNSAPI.dll

Thank You So Much For Your Effort In Helping Me,

Rob

Is

"Andrew Sword [MVP]" wrote:

> First thing I would do is run a virus scanner and spyware program over each
> of the PCs to make sure there is nothing adding more activity and network
> load. Then I would check the network configuration of each and check the
> logs (system and application to see if there are any errors indicating what
> is going on.
>
> Have you tried cached mode
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870926
>
> In the past when I have seen slowdowns in Outlook response it was due to
> misconfigurations of network setting such as TCP/IP on client and servers.
> Also network slowdown can be cause by excessive traffic.
>
> You can monitor client performance as outlined in the this article
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3Perf_ScalGuide/e37b2de5-ac8d-4e92-9e18-85e13f8386ca.mspx
>

> This article describes over all methods for monitoring Exchange
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3HighAvGuide/56f58284-431c-4a57-a8d5-b4a54082f12b.mspx
>
> Thinks like some virus software can affect performance as well.
>
> It's a very large area to pin point to exactly tell what is causing the
> issue without spending some time monitoring an analizing.
>

> "rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
> message news:8083BFF4-13EE-4D66-92EC-1980E202EB77@microsoft.com...
> > We have SBS2k and Exchange server 2000.  After about 20 -30 minutes my
> > user's
> > outlook will not connect to the exchange server and the only way to
> > correct
> > this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they experience
> > 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This happens
> > on
> > 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
> > and
> > one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS outlook
> > 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
> > added
> > a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All of
> > the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
> > most
> > of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me
> > resolve this issure?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Rob

Outlook 2002 doesn't have cached mode.  Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2000
supports cached mode, but Exchange 2003 does include some protocol
enhancements that improves it.

Your report indiates that you're having network problems in the stack well
below the levels at which Exchange operates.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in
message news:C7C63958-6498-42E7-A1FC-B6D0A4C8D6BB@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > this is to reboot.  Once they reboot they are fine until they
>> > experience
>> > 20-30 minutes of Outlook being open and just sitting there.  This
>> > happens
>> > on
>> > 4 of the 16 user's machines that i have.  the user's are running XP pro
>> > and
>> > one of the 4 users has MS outlook 2003 and the other three have MS
>> > outlook
>> > 2002.  One thing i notice with th e user that has 2003, is that after i
>> > added
>> > a new user account to her machine she started having this problem.  All
>> > of
>> > the user's machines are pointing to the Exchange server and at for the
>> > most
>> > of the day they can access their e-mail.  Could Someone please help me

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2005 11:38:24 PM
Well from the errors in event log it seems as though the active directory is
unreachable and the group policy is not being updated by autoenrollment.  the
thing is that every time i get on one of these computers with the usernv,
autoenrollment or that had a netlogon error on the server, is  i can run
gpupdate and the group policy is updated.  Also there is an error that says
there is no RPC server available.  another thing is that none of these errors
correlate with any of the times that the user's outlook hangs up.  Do you
know anyone who specializes in network configuration and connectivity
problems?  I am thinking about trying to reinstall MS office on all the comps
and i need to know how to move the user settings, application settings,
favorites, and my document settings as well as anythin else that applys to
the user.  If the reinstall doesnt work then i am going to try deleting the
computer account then add it and run the network setup disk on the client
computer again.  Does this sound wise to you?

Thanks again for your help Ed,

Rob

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> Have you tried cached mode
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870926
> >>
> >> In the past when I have seen slowdowns in Outlook response it was due to
> >> misconfigurations of network setting such as TCP/IP on client and
> >> servers.
> >> Also network slowdown can be cause by excessive traffic.
> >>
> >> You can monitor client performance as outlined in the this article
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3Perf_ScalGuide/e37b2de5-ac8d-4e92-9e18-85e13f8386ca.mspx
> >>

> >> This article describes over all methods for monitoring Exchange
> >>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3HighAvGuide/56f58284-431c-4a57-a8d5-b4a54082f12b.mspx
> >>
> >> Thinks like some virus software can affect performance as well.
> >>
> >> It's a very large area to pin point to exactly tell what is causing the
> >> issue without spending some time monitoring an analizing.

It doesn't sound like an Office problem to me, but a problem in the
networking stack.  But I could be wrong, I guess.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"rob" <rparker(removethis)@chamberlin(removethistoo)architects.com> wrote in