Outlook 2003 tries to authenticate to wrong Exchange Server -STRANGE!

I have what I consider to be a very strange problem:

-My Outlook 2003 client is set up to connect to my mailbox on the
Exchange Server which sits in the same domain as my client
workstation.

-We have another Exchange Server in the same Exchange organization,
but in a separate Administrative Group in Exchange, and in a separate
Windows domain, and separate Active Directory Site.

PROBLEM: When I start Outlook, it will connect to the correct
Exchange
server, and begin downloading new mail.  It runs fine (I can send and
receive from the Exchange Server) until about 30 seconds pass, and
then I get prompted to authenticate to the Exchange Server in the
other domain/Administrative Group/Site - the one which my mailbox
does
NOT sit on.  If I put in credentials which have access to that other
mail server, it tries for a few seconds, then prompts me again.  If I
click Cancel, Outlook disconnects from my Exchange Server all
together.  If I move the prompt aside and ignore it, Outlook still
shows it's "Connected" in the bottom right, but no new mail will
download, nor can I send.

Troubleshooting steps I've taken:
-I've verified there is nothing odd in my Hosts or LMHosts files.
-I've created a new profile in Outlook connecting to the same mailbox
- same problem
-I can connect and use OWA fine.
-I've moved the mailbox to another mail store on the same local
Exchange server.
-I've looked over all setting on my AD account related to Exchange
and
they look normal.

Other information:
I'm the primary Exchange admin here, and thus have more rights to the
Exchange Server than anyone else.  I'm also the only one I know of
who
is having the problem.

The link to the internet at the remote location was down for several
days this week - making that other site, Exchange Server, etc.
unreachable.  During that time, Outlook worked fine.  The link came
back up, and now I'm having the same problem again.

-Aaron

It appears that Outlook is looking to the other site for public folders.
What is the setting on your mailbox store for the default public store?  If
that setting is correct, i.e., your mailbox store is configured to use your
local public store as the default, does your local public store have a
replica of the free-busy system folder or any other public folders you might
need to use?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Aaron Butler" <aarontbutler@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have what I consider to be a very strange problem:
>
> -My Outlook 2003 client is set up to connect to my mailbox on the
> Exchange Server which sits in the same domain as my client
> workstation.
>

> -We have another Exchange Server in the same Exchange organization,
> but in a separate Administrative Group in Exchange, and in a separate
> Windows domain, and separate Active Directory Site.
>

> PROBLEM: When I start Outlook, it will connect to the correct
> Exchange
> server, and begin downloading new mail.  It runs fine (I can send and
> receive from the Exchange Server) until about 30 seconds pass, and
> then I get prompted to authenticate to the Exchange Server in the
> other domain/Administrative Group/Site - the one which my mailbox
> does
> NOT sit on.  If I put in credentials which have access to that other
> mail server, it tries for a few seconds, then prompts me again.  If I
> click Cancel, Outlook disconnects from my Exchange Server all
> together.  If I move the prompt aside and ignore it, Outlook still
> shows it's "Connected" in the bottom right, but no new mail will
> download, nor can I send.
>

> Troubleshooting steps I've taken:
> -I've verified there is nothing odd in my Hosts or LMHosts files.
> -I've created a new profile in Outlook connecting to the same mailbox
> - same problem
> -I can connect and use OWA fine.
> -I've moved the mailbox to another mail store on the same local
> Exchange server.
> -I've looked over all setting on my AD account related to Exchange
> and
> they look normal.
>

> Other information:
> I'm the primary Exchange admin here, and thus have more rights to the
> Exchange Server than anyone else.  I'm also the only one I know of
> who
> is having the problem.
>

> The link to the internet at the remote location was down for several
> days this week - making that other site, Exchange Server, etc.
> unreachable.  During that time, Outlook worked fine.  The link came
> back up, and now I'm having the same problem again.
>
> -Aaron

0
curspice6401 (3487)
4/13/2007 3:35:16 AM
Could be the PF that Ed mentioned, to verify, when this happens, press
ctrl + right click your outlook icon on the bottom right tray,
connection status, see if it's querying the other servers PF.

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

On Apr 12, 4:39 pm, "Aaron Butler" <aarontbut...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have what I consider to be a very strange problem:
>
> -My Outlook 2003 client is set up to connect to my mailbox on the
> Exchange Server which sits in the same domain as my client
> workstation.
>
> -We have another Exchange Server in the same Exchange organization,
> but in a separate Administrative Group in Exchange, and in a separate
> Windows domain, and separate Active Directory Site.
>
> PROBLEM: When I start Outlook, it will connect to the correct
> Exchange
> server, and begin downloading new mail.  It runs fine (I can send and
> receive from the Exchange Server) until about 30 seconds pass, and
> then I get prompted to authenticate to the Exchange Server in the
> other domain/Administrative Group/Site - the one which my mailbox
> does
> NOT sit on.  If I put in credentials which have access to that other
> mail server, it tries for a few seconds, then prompts me again.  If I
> click Cancel, Outlook disconnects from my Exchange Server all
> together.  If I move the prompt aside and ignore it, Outlook still
> shows it's "Connected" in the bottom right, but no new mail will
> download, nor can I send.
>
> Troubleshooting steps I've taken:
> -I've verified there is nothing odd in my Hosts or LMHosts files.
> -I've created a new profile in Outlook connecting to the same mailbox
> - same problem
> -I can connect and use OWA fine.
> -I've moved the mailbox to another mail store on the same local
> Exchange server.
> -I've looked over all setting on my AD account related to Exchange
> and
> they look normal.
>
> Other information:
> I'm the primary Exchange admin here, and thus have more rights to the
> Exchange Server than anyone else.  I'm also the only one I know of
> who
> is having the problem.
>
> The link to the internet at the remote location was down for several
> days this week - making that other site, Exchange Server, etc.
> unreachable.  During that time, Outlook worked fine.  The link came
> back up, and now I'm having the same problem again.
>
> -Aaron

0
jamestechman (1266)

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Runtime Error when closing OUTLOOK 2k

Public Folder server
Hi, I have 2 different servers as follows : Server1 = Mailbox server Server2 = Public Folder server (only has one PF store) My query: What should be the value for HomeMDB attribute when i click on ADSI edit and navigate till ...>Server Name > System Attendant's properties on Server2? Right now the value for HomeMDB of System Attendent on Server2 is showing "Not Set". Should it be pointing to Server1? Pls guide. thanks Are you having problems with the way it's configured? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"...

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Trying to find out which numbers occure most often
I�m giving exams to students and want to see if the students are missin the same questions in every class. I have a simple spreadsheet tha has me enter the question number into the column each time a questio is missed. The MODE function can tell me which number is occurrin most often. However, I need to see if there is any other numbers tha are occurring often as well. Is there a command that will allow me to look at the second mos entered number? For example, if I have 5,3,3,2,3,4,3,4,1,3,4, my mod would be 3 as that�s the number that repeats the most. However, happens 3 times and that...

Crash on 'Send"

Exchange update problem

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Exchange 2k3 imap VS startup