Outlook 2003 clients cannot recover deleted items in cached mode

Running Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003.  Clients are not able to
recover deleted items in cached mode.  If I have cached mode enabled,
the users are able to go into "Recover deleted items" and select
something to recover, but it just disappears.  No error, it never shows
up (we have been waiting for days).  If I turn off cached mode, restore
deleted items works beautifully and imediately.  We have already tried
hitting F9, shift F9, etc. and have had not luck.  Does anyone have any
suggestions?  Thanks.
0
capitan (9)

No issues here.  Out of curiosity, have you applied SP1 for Office/Outlook
2003 (which is where i'm at in patch level)?

"capitan" <capitan@ship.net> wrote in message
> Running Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003.  Clients are not able to recover
> deleted items in cached mode.  If I have cached mode enabled, the users
> are able to go into "Recover deleted items" and select something to
> recover, but it just disappears.  No error, it never shows up (we have
> been waiting for days).  If I turn off cached mode, restore deleted items
> works beautifully and imediately.  We have already tried hitting F9, shift
> F9, etc. and have had not luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks.

0
neo7948 (622)
3/18/2005 6:17:49 PM
Hmm...have you seen this?
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834716

It references a problem similar using O2k3 and public folders...

"capitan" <capitan@ship.net> wrote in message
> Running Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003.  Clients are not able to recover
> deleted items in cached mode.  If I have cached mode enabled, the users
> are able to go into "Recover deleted items" and select something to
> recover, but it just disappears.  No error, it never shows up (we have
> been waiting for days).  If I turn off cached mode, restore deleted items
> works beautifully and imediately.  We have already tried hitting F9, shift
> F9, etc. and have had not luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
> Thanks.

0
tfelts1 (344)
3/18/2005 6:20:14 PM
You may need to set the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key.

Neo - do you have that key set on your pc?  I know there are issues with DIR
and RPC/HTTP - that may spill over into cached mode as well.  I do have the
reg key set, and I also don't have any issues when attempting to recover
items.  If I hit Send/Receive or F9 immediately after recovering, it will
show up right away.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
> No issues here.  Out of curiosity, have you applied SP1 for Office/Outlook
> 2003 (which is where i'm at in patch level)?
>
> "capitan" <capitan@ship.net> wrote in message
>> Running Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003.  Clients are not able to recover
>> deleted items in cached mode.  If I have cached mode enabled, the users
>> are able to go into "Recover deleted items" and select something to
>> recover, but it just disappears.  No error, it never shows up (we have
>> been waiting for days).  If I turn off cached mode, restore deleted items
>> works beautifully and imediately.  We have already tried hitting F9,
>> shift F9, etc. and have had not luck.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>> Thanks.

0
Ben
3/18/2005 6:37:41 PM
Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] wrote:
> You may need to set the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key.
>
> Neo - do you have that key set on your pc?  I know there are issues with DIR
> and RPC/HTTP - that may spill over into cached mode as well.  I do have the
> reg key set, and I also don't have any issues when attempting to recover
> items.  If I hit Send/Receive or F9 immediately after recovering, it will
> show up right away.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I will try office update.  I have
already tried the Dumpster always on registry key and I took a look at
the public folders article, but these are not public folders, this is
just deleted items folder in the user's outlook profile.  I'll post back
with the results of office update.  Thanks again.
0
capitan (9)
3/18/2005 7:35:53 PM
capitan wrote:
> Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP] wrote:
>
>> You may need to set the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key.
>>
>> Neo - do you have that key set on your pc?  I know there are issues
>> with DIR and RPC/HTTP - that may spill over into cached mode as well.
>> I do have the reg key set, and I also don't have any issues when
>> attempting to recover items.  If I hit Send/Receive or F9 immediately
>> after recovering, it will show up right away.
>>

> Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I will try office update.  I have
> already tried the Dumpster always on registry key and I took a look at
> the public folders article, but these are not public folders, this is
> just deleted items folder in the user's outlook profile.  I'll post back
> with the results of office update.  Thanks again.

Unfortunately, these clients seeing this problem already have all the
latest updates.  Any other suggestions?  Thanks!
0
capitan (9)
3/18/2005 8:00:21 PM
I have that key sent and can recover just find. I did notice that sometimes
recovering from public folders is slow - I need to change folders to see the
recovered messages.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:OlY0Sm%23KFHA.1032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You may need to set the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key.
>
> Neo - do you have that key set on your pc?  I know there are issues with
> DIR and RPC/HTTP - that may spill over into cached mode as well.  I do
> have the reg key set, and I also don't have any issues when attempting to
> recover items.  If I hit Send/Receive or F9 immediately after recovering,
> it will show up right away.

0
msnews1660 (730)
3/18/2005 8:27:26 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> I have that key sent and can recover just find. I did notice that sometimes
> recovering from public folders is slow - I need to change folders to see the
> recovered messages.

Thanks for your reply, Diane.  I had one of my users who has this
problem go into Outlook web access (OWA) and try to restore deleted
items there.  It works great for him in OWA, which tells me that this is
not a server side thing, this is an Outlook 2003 thing.

Yes, we have tried hitting F9, shift F9, go to another folder and come
back, close the client and reopen it, etc.  We have been trying to see
if the recovered deleted items show up after a while, but it has been
days and nothing appears after trying all this.  Thanks for the
suggestion though.
0
capitan (9)
3/18/2005 10:11:31 PM
nope.  just running a straight cached mode profile.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:OlY0Sm%23KFHA.1032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> You may need to set the DumpsterAlwaysOn registry key.
>
> Neo - do you have that key set on your pc?  I know there are issues with
> DIR and RPC/HTTP - that may spill over into cached mode as well.  I do
> have the reg key set, and I also don't have any issues when attempting to
> recover items.  If I hit Send/Receive or F9 immediately after recovering,
> it will show up right away.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "neo [mvp outlook]" <neo@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>> No issues here.  Out of curiosity, have you applied SP1 for
>> Office/Outlook 2003 (which is where i'm at in patch level)?
>>
>> "capitan" <capitan@ship.net> wrote in message
>>> Running Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003.  Clients are not able to
>>> recover deleted items in cached mode.  If I have cached mode enabled,
>>> the users are able to go into "Recover deleted items" and select
>>> something to recover, but it just disappears.  No error, it never shows
>>> up (we have been waiting for days).  If I turn off cached mode, restore
>>> deleted items works beautifully and imediately.  We have already tried
>>> hitting F9, shift F9, etc. and have had not luck.  Does anyone have any
>>> suggestions? Thanks.

0
neo7948 (622)
3/19/2005 12:22:48 AM
cache mode? try deleting the ost and letting outlook rebuild it.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>> I have that key sent and can recover just find. I did notice that
>> sometimes recovering from public folders is slow - I need to change
>> folders to see the recovered messages.
>>

> Thanks for your reply, Diane.  I had one of my users who has this problem
> go into Outlook web access (OWA) and try to restore deleted items there.
> It works great for him in OWA, which tells me that this is not a server
> side thing, this is an Outlook 2003 thing.
>
> Yes, we have tried hitting F9, shift F9, go to another folder and come
> back, close the client and reopen it, etc.  We have been trying to see if
> the recovered deleted items show up after a while, but it has been days
> and nothing appears after trying all this.  Thanks for the suggestion
> though.

0
msnews1660 (730)
3/19/2005 12:31:09 AM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> cache mode? try deleting the ost and letting outlook rebuild it.

Thanks again Diane for your reply.  I did make a new test profile on one
of the computers that is experiencing this problem (which means I also
created a new ost file for it, I think) and it behaved the same.  Am I
mistaken?  It wouldn't use the ost from the other profile, would it?
Again, thank you so much for your help.  :)
0
capitan (9)
3/21/2005 2:12:18 PM
it should use a new ost, especially if the profile name is different.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

> Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
>> cache mode? try deleting the ost and letting outlook rebuild it.
>>

> Thanks again Diane for your reply.  I did make a new test profile on one
> of the computers that is experiencing this problem (which means I also
> created a new ost file for it, I think) and it behaved the same.  Am I
> mistaken?  It wouldn't use the ost from the other profile, would it?
> Again, thank you so much for your help.  :)

0
msnews1660 (730)
3/21/2005 2:26:04 PM
Diane Poremsky [MVP] wrote:
> it should use a new ost, especially if the profile name is different.

Ok, let me try something different here.  Where does the Outlook
database information for Restore Deleted Items (I call it this for lack
of proper terminology) reside if the Restore Deleted items option is
enabled on the server?  Would this reside on the client in the Outlook
local database information, or is this stored on the server?  Do you
think trying to use scanpst on the ost files would help?
0
capitan (9)
3/21/2005 6:12:41 PM
capitan <capitan@ship.net> wrote:

> Ok, let me try something different here.  Where does the Outlook
> database information for Restore Deleted Items (I call it this for
> lack of proper terminology) reside if the Restore Deleted items
> option is enabled on the server?

It's stored on the Exchaneg server.

> Do you think trying to use scanpst on the ost files would help?

There's a separate SCANOST program for that, but I'd be surprised if it made
a difference, since the OST is so easily rebuilt from scratch.
--
Brian Tillman

0
tillman1952 (16052)

Outlook Sales

outlook will not save my outgoing mail

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Unable to delete empty database

WCF Client serialization problem

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook