Opening another user mailbox

I am trying to setup outlook to open another user mailbox in addition to my
own. In the Outlook I do this:

Tools->Options->Mail Setup->Email accounts->View or Change->Change->More
settings->Advanced->Open these additional mailboxes->Add

The problem is if the user is not in the GAL - I cannot perform this
operation.
As soon as I uncheck "Hide from GAL" in the user properties I can open his
mailbox.
I need to hide user from GAL but still get access to his mailbox.

How can I do it?

alexc7217 (22)

Unhide the user and add the account, the hide the account and you will
still be able to open it.

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:58:24 -0500, "AlexC" <alexc@yourgoal.com>
wrote:

>I am trying to setup outlook to open another user mailbox in addition to my
>own. In the Outlook I do this:
>
>Tools->Options->Mail Setup->Email accounts->View or Change->Change->More
>settings->Advanced->Open these additional mailboxes->Add
>
>The problem is if the user is not in the GAL - I cannot perform this
>operation.
>As soon as I uncheck "Hide from GAL" in the user properties I can open his
>mailbox.
>I need to hide user from GAL but still get access to his mailbox.
>
>How can I do it?

>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups
>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

0
adavid (8731)
4/11/2005 10:01:47 PM
That was simple, thank you.

"Andy David - Exchange MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
message news:3tsl51dqaphai34erbgsupcvfo2fg3esnv@4ax.com...
> Unhide the user and add the account, the hide the account and you will
> still be able to open it.
>

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 16:58:24 -0500, "AlexC" <alexc@yourgoal.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I am trying to setup outlook to open another user mailbox in addition to
>>my
>>own. In the Outlook I do this:
>>
>>Tools->Options->Mail Setup->Email accounts->View or Change->Change->More
>>settings->Advanced->Open these additional mailboxes->Add
>>
>>The problem is if the user is not in the GAL - I cannot perform this
>>operation.
>>As soon as I uncheck "Hide from GAL" in the user properties I can open his
>>mailbox.
>>I need to hide user from GAL but still get access to his mailbox.
>>
>>How can I do it?

>>News==----
>>http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+
>>Newsgroups
>>----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption
>>=----

alexc7217 (22)
4/11/2005 10:10:14 PM
A better way is to do it using AD Users and Computers.

Go to the user ensuring advanded view is on and then under security give the
required user 'full mailbox access'

That's the way I always do it, unless of course you only want the other use
to have access to certain parts of your mailbox.

/o

"AlexC" <alexc@yourgoal.com> wrote in message news:425af09d$1_5@127.0.0.1...
> I am trying to setup outlook to open another user mailbox in addition to
my
> own. In the Outlook I do this:
>
> Tools->Options->Mail Setup->Email accounts->View or Change->Change->More
> settings->Advanced->Open these additional mailboxes->Add
>
> The problem is if the user is not in the GAL - I cannot perform this
> operation.
> As soon as I uncheck "Hide from GAL" in the user properties I can open his
> mailbox.
> I need to hide user from GAL but still get access to his mailbox.
>
> How can I do it?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Ahh,

I re-read the question, and Andy David gave a more valuable answer.

/o

"AlexC" <alexc@yourgoal.com> wrote in message news:425af09d$1_5@127.0.0.1...
> I am trying to setup outlook to open another user mailbox in addition to
my
> own. In the Outlook I do this:
>
> Tools->Options->Mail Setup->Email accounts->View or Change->Change->More
> settings->Advanced->Open these additional mailboxes->Add
>
> The problem is if the user is not in the GAL - I cannot perform this
> operation.
> As soon as I uncheck "Hide from GAL" in the user properties I can open his
> mailbox.
> I need to hide user from GAL but still get access to his mailbox.
>
> How can I do it?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Problems with opening a few attachments
Hi Everyone I have had a few users experiencing problems with opening attachments in Outlook. When they try and do so, it comes up with a "Can't Open" error message. It is only occurring on a few attachments. I have checked the event log and there doesn't appear to be any issues on the Exchange server (2003). I have checked the hard disks on the server and there a re no issues with them. It is a single server Exchange 2003 environment. I am just wondering what the next course of action to take is. If you could get back to me on this as soon as possible it would be gr...

Problem opening Excel 2003 in a Small Business edition
When i open excel ,it appears a window "installing:function of Excel" Its seems like installing a new function of Excel , it last a few seconds and then we can work wiht it. How can i eliminate this Hi, You could try looking into your tools>Add-ins to determine what function packs are being loaded when you start Excel. If this is poiting to an add-in on a network drive, it could be what is causing the delay. You can try this by unchecking each option in turn and closing and re-opening Excel. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar ""installing:function of Excel"...

Cannot open previous version????
Why does Publisher bother to offer to "save as" a previous version when it won't open it in the requested version? Might it have something to do with FORCING someone to purchase a current version? (OOPS..I used the word purchase when in fact we're just "leasing" software.) McM Xeno Chauvin <arfulbrank@houston.rr.com> was very recently heard to utter: > Why does Publisher bother to offer to "save as" > a previous version when it won't open it in the > requested version? What, you mean like Publisher has been doing since Publisher 2000...

Operation Failed message when opening Outlook 2000
I get an Operation failed message when opening Outlook 2000 with win xp pro OS. Ive tried removing and reloading the program but it goes back to the old settings and will not open. Any ideas? Had troubles with a trojan horse on the same computer affecting IE but got that fixed. ...

Default Word Attachment Opening View
How can I disable the default reading view in Word when opening an attachment? I have a client using Office 2003 with all Win Xp Updates and when opening an attachment the default Word View is the Reading 2 page view. He wants the older std Word print Layout view. Can this be changed? http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041122.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips...

New users loose SMTP address
Scenario: W2k3, Exhange2k3 2 domain servers create a user on either domain controller, add the smtp address we want (from a large list), come back a few minutes later and the address will change to the system default. Notes; we dont run the smtp recipient policies as such - just a general one with all our smtp address suffixes, this problem only occurs on every four/five accounts created. At first we thought it was the individual support person, then blamed his PC, his MMC connection, now Tech servoces have found it occurrs to anyone creating large numbers of users. Thought it could be...

dynamically referencing to another worksheet
Hi all, I'm relatively new to Excel but I'm working on a spreadsheet for work. Let's say I have a workbook with a separate tab (worksheet) called "exam1". On the first worksheet I can reference to a cell (let's say A2) in the other by using "=exam1!A2". Here's what I need to do though. On the first worksheet in column A, I will have a list of all the tabs that will eventually be included in the spreadsheet (e.x. A1 = exam1, A2 = exam2, A3 = exam3, etc.). Is there a way I can modify the code from the first worksheet above (=exam1!A2) to be dynamic? ...

trouble openning file
I am drawing a blank again regarding the correct way to read files. Here is the pertinent section of code I am troubled by: CString JobFile="C:\\temp\\1.dat"; CFile in; CByteArray buffer; if(!in.Open(JobFile, CFile::modeRead)){ AfxMessageBox("Error opening file"); return; } buffer.SetSize(in.GetFileSize()); if(in.Read(buffer.GetData(), buffer.GetSize()) != buffer.GetSize()){ AfxMessageBox("Error reading file"); return; } in.Close(); When I compile I get the following error: error C2039: 'GetFileSize' : is not a member ...

User access via remote desktop
I have a situation where if I set a new user up from a local client, they only can access GP via their local client - they get a login error if trying to login via remote desktop. Likewise, if I log into the server remotely and set up a new user, they can login to GP remotely but not from their local client. Any ideas why this would occur? Thx, Frank Hamelly, MCP NOVA Solutions LLC Melbourne, FL Do you have any profiles that would be affecting where a user is using files? I've seen this issue where one user's profile was different than other users'. -- Charles Allen, MVP ...

Cannot get email users email to go to isp email. It goes to exchange server instead.
We are using SBS2003 with EXCH2003. We have branch offices. If I put the branch office in SBS2003 as a user and send an email to the user (i.e. user@user.com) it ends up on the server and never gets sent to the branch office user. I'm using the pop3 connector to connect to our mail provider to send and receive mail. I was wondering if there's a way to bypass the server and have the email go directly to the user at our providers server. The reason why I put the branch office user on the server so that we can have the user in our Global Access List when do a mass email. Please advise. ...

Help with linking information from one sheet to another
I'm trying to setup an excel workbook like this: First sheet is a master list with peoples names in the first row and and their stats in 5-6 cataogries along with a final point total in the colums to the left of each name. Then I want to use a second sheet so that when I type in the first couple of letters in a persons name it will finish the name for me and automatically copy the players stats and total into the colums on the left. I know it's possible to do since I've seen it before I just have no clue how they did it and was hoping someone hear could help me. Thanks in advan...

Is there a way to export Word Quick Styles to another computer?
Is there a way to export Word Quick Styles to another computer so you don't have to re-creat them? Custom Quick Style sets are stored as *.dotx files in the %appdata%\Microsoft\QuickStyles folder. Just make a copy of the file and paste it into that same location on the other computer. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Joe" wrote: > Is there a way to export Word Quick Styles to another computer so you don't > have to re-creat them? ...

prevent user access other mailboxes
Hello, I have inherited a small business network running exchange 5.5 with outlook 2003 clients. I noticed that even users with basic network rights (e.g domain user) can access other users' mailboxes by going: Tools -> Email Accounts -> View and Change existing email accounts -> Next -> Change (with Microsoft Exchange server highlighted) -> More Settings -> Advanced tab -> Add, where they can search and add other users' accounts. Is there a way I can prevent that for the regular users (e.g. basic domain user rights)? Thank you, DN DN, HAve a look at th...

How do I create Folders/Sub folders from User Form control button
I have a User Form that I would like to take one of the spare control buttons and have it set up my job folder on the hard drive. I am not sure how to code it to achive the following results: These are my text box ID's Main Folder --------------------------------------------------------------------- User Selects drive: \ CES_No_1 \ CLLI_Code_1\ TEO_No_1 Sub Folders inside Main Folder ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Completed Drawings Elec Job Folder Misc Job Documents Site Pictures If you can dig up a copy of the VBS doc...

Can't open XP file in Windows
We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. The error message is "You cannot open a file from a different version". I would appreciate any assistance on this issue. Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file || was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. || The error message is "You cannot open a file from a || different version". I would appreciate any assistance on || this issu...

After clicking Reply the window opens but Outlook stays on top
When replying to an email Outlook usually opens the window on top of the program so the Outlook window is covered. However, occasionally when I click on Reply it opens a "reply" window underneath the Outlook window. I have to minimize Outlook to access the reply email. This is an intermittent problem. Does anyone know how to fix this? ...

Mailbox size allocation
How do we allocate more space to an individuals mailbox? This happens automagically. What is your problem? Ken wrote: > How do we allocate more space to an individuals mailbox? I am getting an error that I have exceeded my mailbox storage limitation. I am only using about 10 MB's. >-----Original Message----- >This happens automagically. What is your problem? > >Ken wrote: > >> How do we allocate more space to an individuals mailbox? > >. > What version of Exchange Server? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I am getting an error that...

Opening Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2003
I have been sent a file created in 2000, but use 2003, which says it cannot open earlier versions. Is there a download solution to this? -- Ghento Publisher 2003 will open 2000 documents. Some things to try: Disable your anti-virus software. Try opening the file in safe mode. Publisher 2000 and 2003 uses different WordArt, this could be a problem. Publisher 2003/2002 Add-in: WordArt Compatibility http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=897AA11B-A37D-4586-A1A7-54BBEA375AE2&displaylang=en How to troubleshoot a damaged publication in Publisher http://support.microsoft....

Help Opening Publisher 2007 file in 2000 version
Help !! I have been sent a publisher 2007 document and cannot open it at all with my publisher 2000, is there a file conversion download or anything? Nope, there is no conversion. If you send it to me I will convert it for you. Be aware you may lose some formatting and if there are images involved the file will become much larger. mary-sauer at columbus.rr.com -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Maneater" <Maneater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B514D1E-C752-4577-A140-B6FC974B9416@m...

how do i setup excel to use separate instances for each file open.
Whenever I open a document in MS Word, it 'acts' like a new program for each file open. This is relevant because I have mulitple monitors and can have two or more active documents and see them side by side. Excel however opens each file into one program and does not allow simultaneous viewing of more than one book/sheet/etc... Is there an option embedded somewhere that will allow this?..or what?... I'm open to suggestions. uhh...I figured it out... Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications "roomi" wrote: > Whenever I open a document in MS Word, it '...

Windows not openning on newly created leads
We seems to have a problem with our CRM system where someone tries to 'Convert a Lead'; and clicks the 'Open newly created record(s)' checkbox. The system will convert the lead and create all the necessary records, but it will NOT open the newly created records. At first I thought it was a Pop-Up block issue, but I tried it myself with all Pop-Up blocking turned OFF and it still is happening. Any Ideas? Regards, Eric S. ...

Closed a .NET passport and now I can't open my Money 2002 file.
In money 2002 I had my money file associated with a .NET passport for background banking. I ended up closing that .NET passport account and now I can't get into my money file? Is there anyway I can get access to this file again? Thank you in advance. This is kinda like throwing away the keys to your house then realizing you've locked yourself out. Can you tell it you want to get in "offline" and then go into File|Login Lockbox and remove the Passport? "scm_pa" <parustyfan@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3d3401c48fc8$320bc5c0$a601280a@phx.gbl.....

Outlook 2002 takes so long to open
Outlook takes too long to open. I am using OfficeXP Standard.Any suggestions? Try disabling the integration with Instant Messenger in Tools | Options | Other and see if that speeds things up. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:0c2501c3b9f5$3e55ead0$a001280a@phx.gbl, Delsa wrote: > Outlook takes too long to open. I am using OfficeXP > Standard.Any suggestions? ...

Can I create another identity in Oulook like I can in OE?
There is more than one user on our computer, and we'd like to keep our emails separate. Can I create another profile for another user, and if so, please list the steps. Thanks in advance. Hi, sure, you just need to add multiple MAPI Profiles with messaging settings in it for each user. Go to Control Panel / Mail / Create new profile Regards Roger "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A541CA72-7FB5-4820-A4C8-5E392754B0D6@microsoft.com... > There is more than one user on our computer, and we'd like to keep our > emails > s...

New window does not open after installation 3.0
I have having a strange problem. I just installed a fresh copy of 3.0 Pro and when I go on the url of the server, I can see the blue background for a second and then it tries to open a new browser then it closes both screens. From the server it self it works if I do http://localhost/. I have no clue what could be causing this or how to fix it. Anyone have suggestions? Disable any popup blockers you may have. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Karol" <Karol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:305FCB42-7DBB-4955-8602-703EF673C684@microsoft.com... I h...