Offline Exchange 2003 Backup

I am told to do an "offline" backup of the Exchange 2003 infomraiton by
shutting down the exchange services but nowhere do I see how to shut them
down and start them up. For IIS, I just shut down IIS and it closes
everythign else then I start up WWW Publishing and it starts up IIS as well.
Can anyone point me to an article that shows me what services to shut down
before I do an "offline" backup?

Dab

0
davidb6093 (13)

Who told you to do the backup?  I don't consider offline backups to be any
more useful than an online backup for most disaster recovery scenarios, and
they're burdensome in that you must stop the services before the backup and
restore them afterward.

An "offline" backup means to shut down all the Exchange services and then
back up the full file system.  Unless the server is clustered, you do it
from the Services MMC snap-in.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com> wrote in message
>I am told to do an "offline" backup of the Exchange 2003 infomraiton by
>shutting down the exchange services but nowhere do I see how to shut them
>down and start them up. For IIS, I just shut down IIS and it closes
>everythign else then I start up WWW Publishing and it starts up IIS as
>well. Can anyone point me to an article that shows me what services to shut
>down before I do an "offline" backup?
>
> Dab

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/26/2006 9:39:58 PM
Ed: I read in the X2K3 documentation about the offline backup and it said
that it backs up all files. An online backup, it said, may skip some that
are in use. Do you know what services I need to shut down? I know where to
shut them down but do I just go hunting for any service that mentions
Exchange?

Dab

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
> Who told you to do the backup?  I don't consider offline backups to be any
> more useful than an online backup for most disaster recovery scenarios,
> and they're burdensome in that you must stop the services before the
> backup and restore them afterward.
>
> An "offline" backup means to shut down all the Exchange services and then
> back up the full file system.  Unless the server is clustered, you do it
> from the Services MMC snap-in.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com> wrote in message
>>I am told to do an "offline" backup of the Exchange 2003 infomraiton by
>>shutting down the exchange services but nowhere do I see how to shut them
>>down and start them up. For IIS, I just shut down IIS and it closes
>>everythign else then I start up WWW Publishing and it starts up IIS as
>>well. Can anyone point me to an article that shows me what services to
>>shut down before I do an "offline" backup?
>>
>> Dab

0
davidb6093 (13)
10/26/2006 9:47:20 PM
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:47:20 -0400, "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com>
wrote:

>Ed: I read in the X2K3 documentation about the offline backup and it said
>that it backs up all files. An online backup, it said, may skip some that
>are in use. Do you know what services I need to shut down? I know where to
>shut them down but do I just go hunting for any service that mentions
>Exchange?

Online backups are the way to go. Offline backups are where you might
miss something. Not too mention that full/incremental online backups
clear the trans logs.
If you stop the System Attendant, the IS and MTA will stop as well and
you can do that offline backup, but its not recommended!

>Dab
>
>"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
>> Who told you to do the backup?  I don't consider offline backups to be any
>> more useful than an online backup for most disaster recovery scenarios,
>> and they're burdensome in that you must stop the services before the
>> backup and restore them afterward.
>>
>> An "offline" backup means to shut down all the Exchange services and then
>> back up the full file system.  Unless the server is clustered, you do it
>> from the Services MMC snap-in.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com> wrote in message
>>>I am told to do an "offline" backup of the Exchange 2003 infomraiton by
>>>shutting down the exchange services but nowhere do I see how to shut them
>>>down and start them up. For IIS, I just shut down IIS and it closes
>>>everythign else then I start up WWW Publishing and it starts up IIS as
>>>well. Can anyone point me to an article that shows me what services to
>>>shut down before I do an "offline" backup?
>>>
>>> Dab

0
adavid (8731)
10/26/2006 9:53:14 PM
Thanks, I'll do both before moving to SP2

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:47:20 -0400, "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Ed: I read in the X2K3 documentation about the offline backup and it said
>>that it backs up all files. An online backup, it said, may skip some that
>>are in use. Do you know what services I need to shut down? I know where to
>>shut them down but do I just go hunting for any service that mentions
>>Exchange?
>
> Online backups are the way to go. Offline backups are where you might
> miss something. Not too mention that full/incremental online backups
> clear the trans logs.
> If you stop the System Attendant, the IS and MTA will stop as well and
> you can do that offline backup, but its not recommended!
>

>>Dab
>>
>>"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
>>> Who told you to do the backup?  I don't consider offline backups to be
>>> any
>>> more useful than an online backup for most disaster recovery scenarios,
>>> and they're burdensome in that you must stop the services before the
>>> backup and restore them afterward.
>>>
>>> An "offline" backup means to shut down all the Exchange services and
>>> then
>>> back up the full file system.  Unless the server is clustered, you do it
>>> from the Services MMC snap-in.
>>> --
>>> Ed Crowley
>>> MVP - Exchange
>>> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
>>>
>>> "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com> wrote in message

0
davidb6093 (13)
10/26/2006 10:00:13 PM
The "online backup" is when you back up the "Information Store" object.  It
doesn't back up the files, per se, but the information store and log files
in a consistent fashion so that if you do a restore, you get everything back
and the log files play.
--

> Ed: I read in the X2K3 documentation about the offline backup and it said
> that it backs up all files. An online backup, it said, may skip some that
> are in use. Do you know what services I need to shut down? I know where to
> shut them down but do I just go hunting for any service that mentions
> Exchange?
>
> Dab
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message
>> Who told you to do the backup?  I don't consider offline backups to be
>> any more useful than an online backup for most disaster recovery
>> scenarios, and they're burdensome in that you must stop the services
>> before the backup and restore them afterward.
>>
>> An "offline" backup means to shut down all the Exchange services and then
>> back up the full file system.  Unless the server is clustered, you do it
>> from the Services MMC snap-in.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com> wrote in message
>>>I am told to do an "offline" backup of the Exchange 2003 infomraiton by
>>>shutting down the exchange services but nowhere do I see how to shut them
>>>down and start them up. For IIS, I just shut down IIS and it closes
>>>everythign else then I start up WWW Publishing and it starts up IIS as
>>>well. Can anyone point me to an article that shows me what services to
>>>shut down before I do an "offline" backup?
>>>
>>> Dab

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/26/2006 10:01:51 PM
It's not a bad idea to take an offline backup before applying a service pack
given that you're going to have to shut the services down anyway.
--

> Thanks, I'll do both before moving to SP2
>
> "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
> message news:seb2k2d3d7qni9q2dqfptcit1bu66263jn@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:47:20 -0400, "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Ed: I read in the X2K3 documentation about the offline backup and it said
>>>that it backs up all files. An online backup, it said, may skip some that
>>>are in use. Do you know what services I need to shut down? I know where
>>>shut them down but do I just go hunting for any service that mentions
>>>Exchange?
>>
>> Online backups are the way to go. Offline backups are where you might
>> miss something. Not too mention that full/incremental online backups
>> clear the trans logs.
>> If you stop the System Attendant, the IS and MTA will stop as well and
>> you can do that offline backup, but its not recommended!
>>

>>>Dab
>>>
>>>"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/26/2006 10:03:37 PM
On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:00:13 -0400, "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com>
wrote:

>Thanks, I'll do both before moving to SP2

After you upgrade, be sure to do an online backup immediately after as
well!

>"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:47:20 -0400, "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Ed: I read in the X2K3 documentation about the offline backup and it said
>>>that it backs up all files. An online backup, it said, may skip some that
>>>are in use. Do you know what services I need to shut down? I know where to
>>>shut them down but do I just go hunting for any service that mentions
>>>Exchange?
>>
>> Online backups are the way to go. Offline backups are where you might
>> miss something. Not too mention that full/incremental online backups
>> clear the trans logs.
>> If you stop the System Attendant, the IS and MTA will stop as well and
>> you can do that offline backup, but its not recommended!
>>

>>>Dab
>>>
>>>"Ed Crowley [MVP]" <curspice@mvpsnospam.org> wrote in message

0
adavid (8731)
10/26/2006 10:06:34 PM
Thanks, I will

> On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 18:00:13 -0400, "David A. Beck" <davidb@beckb.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Thanks, I'll do both before moving to SP2
>
> After you upgrade, be sure to do an online backup immediately after as
> well!
>

>>"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in
>>message

>>> Online backups are the way to go. Offline backups are where you might
>>> miss something. Not too mention that full/incremental online backups
>>> clear the trans logs.
>>> If you stop the System Attendant, the IS and MTA will stop as well and
>>> you can do that offline backup, but its not recommended!

0
davidb6093 (13)

Outlook 2003 News

Exchange in SBS2003 R2