Offline defragmentation for Priv1

Hello,

I have an Exchange 2000 standard server running for a long time. Now the
priv1.edb is over 12GB. I have to move mailboxes from priv1 to other storage
groups. After the movement, the priv1 has a lot of free space inside the
database. I want to have an offline defragmentation to reduce the file so
that the backup window can be shorter.

I know there are some Exchange service accounts like Microsoft Schedule+
Free/Busy Connector, SMTP, System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored
in the priv1 database. When I dismount the priv1 for the offline
deframentation, does the Exchange keep running and servicing as usual? Will
it affect any email communication?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

0
Pakeon (7)

On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:06:01 -0800, Pakeon
<Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have an Exchange 2000 standard server running for a long time. Now the
>priv1.edb is over 12GB. I have to move mailboxes from priv1 to other storage
>groups. After the movement, the priv1 has a lot of free space inside the
>database. I want to have an offline defragmentation to reduce the file so
>that the backup window can be shorter.
>
>I know there are some Exchange service accounts like Microsoft Schedule+
>Free/Busy Connector, SMTP, System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored
>in the priv1 database. When I dismount the priv1 for the offline
>deframentation, does the Exchange keep running and servicing as usual? Will
>it affect any email communication?
>
>Please advise.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Don't do this defragmentation, it's a waste of time.
Since you have Enterprise Edition you have lots of stores. Simply move
all the mailboxes off that store, dismount it, delete the EDB and STM
files and then remount the store.
12GB is tiny compared to what you can have. Is there any reason you've
moved mailboxes to other stores?
0
mark7219 (5666)
12/21/2006 9:42:45 AM
Any users that are on 'Priv 1' will not be able to log in to their
mailboxes, until the store is remounted.

/o

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/21/2006 9:45:55 AM
I have to move mailboxes to other stores because I want to have a better
mailbox management. It will be more easier and faster to restore mailbox from
a 3GB edb file rather than the 12GB priv1 edb file.

I schedule ntbackup to run at 4am daily for each storage group, the backup
file are stored on a hard disk partition, backup to tape later. But the
backup for priv1 cannot finish before 8am.

As I have moved most of users to different stores, the priv1 has much free
space inside. After defragmentation, I think the file will be shrunk and
backup window for priv1 will be shorter.

As the exchange service account is in priv1, when I dismount the priv1, will
it affect existing users? Are there any negatative impact to current
activities?

Thanks.

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 00:06:01 -0800, Pakeon
> <Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I have an Exchange 2000 standard server running for a long time. Now the
> >priv1.edb is over 12GB. I have to move mailboxes from priv1 to other storage
> >groups. After the movement, the priv1 has a lot of free space inside the
> >database. I want to have an offline defragmentation to reduce the file so
> >that the backup window can be shorter.
> >
> >I know there are some Exchange service accounts like Microsoft Schedule+
> >Free/Busy Connector, SMTP, System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored
> >in the priv1 database. When I dismount the priv1 for the offline
> >deframentation, does the Exchange keep running and servicing as usual? Will
> >it affect any email communication?
> >
> >Please advise.
> >
> >Thanks in advance.
> >
> Don't do this defragmentation, it's a waste of time.
> Since you have Enterprise Edition you have lots of stores. Simply move
> all the mailboxes off that store, dismount it, delete the EDB and STM
> files and then remount the store.
> 12GB is tiny compared to what you can have. Is there any reason you've
> moved mailboxes to other stores?

0
Pakeon (7)
12/21/2006 10:19:00 AM
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 02:19:00 -0800, Pakeon
<Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have to move mailboxes to other stores because I want to have a better
>mailbox management. It will be more easier and faster to restore mailbox from
>a 3GB edb file rather than the 12GB priv1 edb file.
>
>I schedule ntbackup to run at 4am daily for each storage group, the backup
>file are stored on a hard disk partition, backup to tape later. But the
>backup for priv1 cannot finish before 8am.
>
>As I have moved most of users to different stores, the priv1 has much free
>space inside. After defragmentation, I think the file will be shrunk and
>backup window for priv1 will be shorter.
>
>As the exchange service account is in priv1, when I dismount the priv1, will
>it affect existing users? Are there any negatative impact to current
>activities?
>
>Thanks.

Your users who have mailboxes on that storewill not be able to use
their email until the store is remounted.
Again. Do not do this defrag.
Move all the mailboxes, dismount, delete, mount.

0
mark7219 (5666)
12/21/2006 10:48:25 AM
All your mailstores will have those mailboxes - don't worry.

Oliver

> As I said before, there are Microsoft Schedule+ Free/Busy Connector, SMTP,
> System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored in the priv1 mail store.
> Can
> I move them to other storage group, then dismount the priv1, delete
> priv1.*,
> create and mount priv1 again without problem at all?

0
o.moazzeziNO (822)
12/21/2006 2:39:31 PM
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:03:01 -0800, Pakeon
<Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Mark,
>
>As I said before, there are Microsoft Schedule+ Free/Busy Connector, SMTP,
>System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored in the priv1 mail store. Can
>I move them to other storage group, then dismount the priv1, delete priv1.*,
>create and mount priv1 again without problem at all?

Are there replicas of the free/busy system folder on other servers?
The system attendant mailbox will be recreated on another mailbox
store on that server after you remove that store and restart the SA
service. There is only one system attendant mailbox per server.
That will happen automatically.
No need to worry about moving the other 2. In fact, those cant be
deleted from the gui anyway.

>Many thanks.
>

>"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 02:19:00 -0800, Pakeon
>> <Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have to move mailboxes to other stores because I want to have a better
>> >mailbox management. It will be more easier and faster to restore mailbox from
>> >a 3GB edb file rather than the 12GB priv1 edb file.
>> >
>> >I schedule ntbackup to run at 4am daily for each storage group, the backup
>> >file are stored on a hard disk partition, backup to tape later. But the
>> >backup for priv1 cannot finish before 8am.
>> >
>> >As I have moved most of users to different stores, the priv1 has much free
>> >space inside. After defragmentation, I think the file will be shrunk and
>> >backup window for priv1 will be shorter.
>> >
>> >As the exchange service account is in priv1, when I dismount the priv1, will
>> >it affect existing users? Are there any negatative impact to current
>> >activities?
>> >
>> >Thanks.
>> >
>> Your users who have mailboxes on that storewill not be able to use
>> their email until the store is remounted.
>> Again. Do not do this defrag.
>> Move all the mailboxes, dismount, delete, mount.

0
adavid (8731)
12/21/2006 3:11:01 PM
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:28:02 -0800, Pakeon
<Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There is only one exchange server on the network. Are you sure I can dismount
>and delete the priv1.* files from hard disk without any problems to the email
>system?
>
>"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:

You've had two MVPs and an Exchange Hosting expert give you the same
advice. That's nearly six thousand dollars worth of free advice saying
the same thing. You can ring Microsoft Consulting Services if you want
and be charged another $3000 for similar advice that will be more
ambiguous advice that will probably be more difficult to follow.
Trust us on this one.
priv1.edb and priv1.stm. There shouldn't be any other files you need
to delete. Don't do trashing the .log files as they are probably being
used by the Public Folder store that's in that storage group as well.
0
mark7219 (5666)
12/21/2006 4:10:18 PM
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:28:02 -0800, Pakeon
<Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>There is only one exchange server on the network. Are you sure I can dismount
>and delete the priv1.* files from hard disk without any problems to the email
>system?

Nothing is ever for sure :)

Have a good backup?  Made sure everything works once you  dismount the
store, that sorta thing.

>"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 06:03:01 -0800, Pakeon
>> <Pakeon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Mark,
>> >
>> >As I said before, there are Microsoft Schedule+ Free/Busy Connector, SMTP,
>> >System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored in the priv1 mail store. Can
>> >I move them to other storage group, then dismount the priv1, delete priv1.*,
>> >create and mount priv1 again without problem at all?
>>
>> Are there replicas of the free/busy system folder on other servers?
>> The system attendant mailbox will be recreated on another mailbox
>> store on that server after you remove that store and restart the SA
>> service. There is only one system attendant mailbox per server.
>> That will happen automatically.
>> No need to worry about moving the other 2. In fact, those cant be
>> deleted from the gui anyway.
>>

>> >Many thanks.

0
adavid (8731)

Offline Files
I am getting an error when synchronizing my offline files that it Failed on 8 of the files. I can't seem to identify which 8 files it was not able to sychronize. All files in the Offline Files View are labeled Synchronized. Does anyone know how to identify those files? I haven't a clue who you are, or what you are using. Try to remember that we can't read your screen from here. We will try to help, but we do need you to make a little bit of effort yourself. What are you using? Which version? On what operating system? Which version? What's your name? You know: ju...

Offline Address Book Not Synching
Ok, We are running Exchange 2003 and we are all using Outlook 2003. My address book is not syncing to save its life. When new users are added ot active directory, they don't show up in my global address list. The only way I can see them is to turn off the "used cached exchange" mode. I have manually tried to make this work and that is not happening either. Any ideas? Scott What errors do you get when you sync? I don't have OL2003, but in prior versions you have to choose the option to download the offline address book....maybe not relevant in your version. On...

Sending mail in outlook while connected to the offline exchange server
I am a mobile user who has Outlook set up to the corporate Exchange server. Everything is going fine while I am at office, but I'm in serious trouble once I leave the office. I have set up few Internet mail accounts, which are connected, to the different ISP. Once I try to send a new mail, I cannot choose from the list of available SMTP servers and Outlook still tries to send it through the Exchange (which is now offline!). How can I resolve this problem? ...

Exchange 5.5 Offline Address Book Missing
We removed the first server in the Site and accidently left the OABv2 replica on the server. It's not possible for us to recover the server. I found a MS KB article discribing how to regenerate the site folders, (KB152960) but the problem is that the article says that the process will destroy the existing site folders and recreate the OAB and Free/Busy data, which is not a problem. My worry is how that will effect any other public folders in the same site. As we use them alot, it would be a really bad thing if we lost them. Thank you for your help! ...

Trouble accessing reports through Outlook online/ offline and workstation client
Trouble accessing reports through Outlook online/ offline and workstation clients. Works fine through web client. Anyone has had similar issue, any help? Perhaps there is some setting in your outlook prohibit you from opening an IE window pointing to the outside url? When you access the report in outlook. It will open an IE window and the URL is main CRM url with Report Server URL inside. Maybe there is a special security setting blocks it. Reports are not available offline. ---Min -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "soni...

Laptop Client Cannot Go Offline; Failed to move data entity 'Lead'
Hello, Since our inception of Dynamics CRM over 2 years ago, users have not been able to go offline. Now we are up to CRM 3.0 with Rollup1 and the DST patch. I have narrowed the source down to the 'LeadBase' table having a field named 'Description' with a size of 7000. From another post which I cannot find now, I read that fields in CRM cannot have a size greater than 4000. I have found the table/field in our SQL 2005 DB, but am not very familiar with it. Would anyone be able to inform me on how to adjust the 'Description' size without losing or corrupting ...

priv1.edb question
Hi Should the priv1.edb be updated constantly or is it once in awhile? I'm showing the last update is Jan 20, 2006, but the E000*.log files are up-to-date. R Green It's written to all the time. The metadata doesn't get updated until you close the file. Dismount and mount your store and you'll notice that it updated. Of course, your users will notice that you dismounted and mounted the store. I usually disable lastaccessupdates on an Exchange Server anyway. I know that the system account, in the context of which the store.exe process runs, will be constantly acce...

Automatically send messages when offline in Outlook
I know that by default, when in Offline mode, Outlook will not send or receive messages automatically - you need to explicitly tell it to send and/or receive. Is there a way to set it up such that it sends all messages automatically, instead of leaving them in "Outbox"? I don't want it to receive automatically. The connection to the mail server is pretty bad and Outlook seems to be a lot more stable in Offline mode, so not working in Offline mode is unfortunately not a desirable option. I am using Outlook 2003. Thanks. OmarK. <omarkhawaja@yahoo.com> wrote: > I know th...

How to enalbe offline Outlook synchronisation within Exchange 2003 with IMAP4
We have always had a Citrix environment (Presentation 4) for our Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2003. Although we do have roaming users with laptops, they dial into the network via Citrix and use their email live. However, management want to change it so they access their email direct from their laptops offline, and then dial up to synchronise. I know this is something basic, but what do I have to do apart from enable the IMAP4 service on the Exchange server side - if anything at all? Thanks, Cronos You really don't want to go that way. Forget about IMAP4. If you are running Excha...

Offline folder settings for multiple e-mail accounts
I have 4 mailboxes plus my personal mailbox that need to be setup for 'Offline use' and to synchronize upon exit or at chosen intervals. I can setup my personal mailbox to synchronize through my laptop for 'Offline use' creating an Outlook.ost file. However, I am unable to do the same for the other 4 mailboxes. Offline folder settings will not allow me to create the offline folder settings while using my profile. I can setup an .ost file for each profile but do not want to be prompted to choose a profile to use in order to synchronize each profile. I would like to syn...

Upgrade Offline Database?
I upgraded to RMS 2.0 last week. Now, when I run my Z-report, I get the message "Warning, you must upgrade the offline database before synchronization can be performed." All of my terminals' databases are upgraded (I went into Administrator, and selected Upgrade underneath the Database menu.), and I'm still getting that message. Any ideas? Thank you, Miranda in Madison, WI Did you also upgrade the offline database ? Mihir <spundog@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191335575.241253.314960@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com... >I upgraded to RMS 2.0 last week. Now,...

Offline defragmentation for Priv1
Hello, I have an Exchange 2000 standard server running for a long time. Now the priv1.edb is over 12GB. I have to move mailboxes from priv1 to other storage groups. After the movement, the priv1 has a lot of free space inside the database. I want to have an offline defragmentation to reduce the file so that the backup window can be shorter. I know there are some Exchange service accounts like Microsoft Schedule+ Free/Busy Connector, SMTP, System Attendant, SystemMailbox, etc. are stored in the priv1 database. When I dismount the priv1 for the offline deframentation, does the Exchange ...

Calendar Sync Offline Folders
We have a few issues here where calendars aren’t syncing. The issue we have is where if offline folders are setup and you change a calendar name it won’t appear. We also have issues (I am guessing they are linked) where we put changes on a calendar and they don’t sync to the server so no one can see the appointment. Is there a known fix I could see anything in any other feeds on this site. Regards Andy ...

Reading emails and attachments when offline
I need to be able to read my emails and attachments when I am offline, as I don't always have access to the internet. Is this possible, and if so how do I do it? If you're using a Personal Folder (PST) file to hold your mail and it's stored on your machine then you should be able to access your mail while off-net. If you're attached to an Exchange Server you'll need to setup (or have someone setup) an Offline Folder (OST) file to hold your data for off-net use "bench2006" <bench2006@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11CB72AA-2869-4BB6...

cannot go back online after being offline
I am trying to go back online. CRM starts to upload data but then says something like "Crm has encountered an unknown error. Try again." Other users can go online and offline. What can I do to fix the issue with the one laptop that cannot go back online? The error message is so ambiguous that you'll never get anywhere with that alone. For now, your best bet is to enable logging and hope you can get something more meaningful. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907490/en-us "justin" wrote: > I am trying to go back online. CRM starts to upload data but then says ...

Charge Customers and Offline Mode
It doesn't happen very often, but when it does it's a real mess. When you are forced into working in an offline mode for whatever reason, one thing you cannot do is sell "on account". Does anyone have a work-around for this? I understand why this is, but I would prefer to have some kind of manager overide at POS so we can continue to sell to our best accounts no matter what. Has anyone listed this as a fix or suggestion with Microsoft? Ken Nelson ...

Offline address list
What AD attributes make up the OAB? Attributes don't make up the OAB. The oab is filtered copy of the global address list. Each object in the gal (mail-enalbed object, contact, dl, etc) will be comprised of 40+ viewable attributes that are stamped on each object that you can look at (Display Name, Phone Number, etc). If you want to view all of the attributes that are stamped on a object in the global address list, you can download a copy of OABInteg and run the following command line switches: oabinteg /s:exchsrvrname /t:[ getabinfo_v2 or getabinfo_v3 or getabinfo_v4 ] /l /v:2 ...

Offline Address List/Book Error (0x8004010F)
I am looking for some help. I am in a multiple Exchange 2003 SP2 & Outlook 2003, Windows 2000 domain. I am having a problem downloading the default offline address book from Outlook. When I try to download it I get error 0x8004010F. I have created a new Offline Address Book, which is allowing me to download the oab. I have issued a rebuild command on the default OAL/B, but with no luck. I have even specified the newly created OAL/B by browsing to it from the mailbox store, but no luck. Is there anything anyone can suggest to repair or fix the original OAB/L? Is a repair, if ...

Offline Dbase Synch gives SQL server not found error
Hi, When trying to sync the offline dbase via the z report for the first time I get "Runtime error -2147217900 (80040e14): [DBNET][ConnectionOpen (Connect()),] SQL server does not exist or access denied". I've tried the MSFT KB fix of hard coding the IP address of the main sql server but that didn't make any difference. Has anyone found other fixes for this. We're running RMS store ops 1.3 Refresh on MSDE. Thanks in advance for any help. HI Pete, make sure that you test the connnection in the configuration for the offline database, give proper user id and pass...

inbox empty while online/full while offline
i just installed office 2000 on a fresh win98 hdd. during the setup wizard for mail accounts (control panel>mail)i clicked 'yes' to 'will you be travelling with this computer?' and continued setting up the ms exchange email server and account name. mail delivery is to the account on the server, not to a personal folder. offline folders are enabled to \outlook.ost while online (connected to the inbox the lan) the inbox says there are 100+ new emails and 1900+ existing emails, yet NONE are showing up. while OFFLINE i can see all the emails new and old in the inbox ...

Offline Address Book Error 0X8004010F with Exchange 2003/2010
Hi Have Exchange 2003 and 2010 coexisting and clients are Outlook 2003. If the mailbox is on 2003 there is no error, but if the mailbox is on 2010, outlook gives Offline Address Book Error 0X8004010F every 5 minutes or every time outlook checks for new mail. How do I get rid of this? Tomppa Sounds like you need to fix your offline address book! What do you see when you enter Get-OfflineAddressBook | Format-List ? Does everything look right? -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Tomppa"...

Tills in offline mode
Can anybody explain how the tills going offline will effect my end of day Z reading and cash counting? There seems to be a problem when our tills go offline we are out by huge amounts at the end of the day... -- Philip Gass Donaghadee Garden Centre Hi Philip, For simplicity sake lets assume that you have only 1 register and your database is on a server. Before you went offline you were working on Batch Number 50. Then you go offline and do some activity. Then the terminal comes back online. Internally the system treats the open batch 50 that was before going offline as a blind...

Go offline problems
If I try to go offline, the process brakes down during the Accountsync. I can't cancel the process and have to reload Outlook. Now, I get the message "The Microsoft CRM server is unavailable. Would you like to work offline with previously synchronized data?" I have to click on yes and the client goes offline with the last synchronisation. After a restart I can go online again. Have anybody a suggestion? All, Verify that the CRM User you are logged in as has create, read, write, append and append to privileges. There is the potential that someone assigned an account to y...

Offline defrag for exchange 2003, Help
I have a 2003 exchange server running on 2003 Server. I have reached the 15 gig limit of Exchange I have cleaned out as much mail as I can buy still need space . How do you do a offline defrag of the .EDB files???? I know how to do a defrag for exchange 2000 but the commands do not work.... PLease help.... Here is a link that explains how to do it: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;254132&Product=exch2003 -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Hlobell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Storage Limit Warnings are not being received by Outlook 98 clients in offline m
Exchange 2000 Server, Windows 98, 2000 and XP users. Office 97 with Outlook 98 Upgrade. I have users in remote offices using "offline mode" to connect to mail server over a vpn. The storage limit warnings are not being received by these users. As a result, they often exceed their limits, effectively cutting off their ability to send and receive email. Help is appreciated in advance. Rick ...