Offline Defrag Questions

I have determined that it is benificial for a offline defrag on my EE2003
SP2.  I will be gaining about 45% space across 4 mailbox stores.

Currently my disk has about 7gb of free space and my largest MBS is 63gb
(combined .edb and .stm)

I have other drives on this server so I can use /t switch, but my questions
is it really necessary?  Or will it defrag it fine without it? Any other
switches I should be aware of and/or look at using?

I've toyed with the idea of moving mailboxes over to a empty MBS and move
that over, but I have determined that is not the way I would like to go.

Thanks in advance!

CJS
0
CJS (7)

actually, moving the mailboxes to another store would be the better
option...defrag is always a risk, and does involve considerable downtime...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"CJS" <CJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have determined that it is benificial for a offline defrag on my EE2003
> SP2.  I will be gaining about 45% space across 4 mailbox stores.
>
> Currently my disk has about 7gb of free space and my largest MBS is 63gb
> (combined .edb and .stm)
>
> I have other drives on this server so I can use /t switch, but my
> questions
> is it really necessary?  Or will it defrag it fine without it? Any other
> switches I should be aware of and/or look at using?
>
> I've toyed with the idea of moving mailboxes over to a empty MBS and move
> that over, but I have determined that is not the way I would like to go.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> CJS

0
sconkey (3059)
1/31/2007 7:54:46 PM
I agree 100% susan, but I have been receiving push-back from management of
the move method.  I've explained to them that the move method is "safer" if
something happens, you only lose the mailbox that fails in the move.. The
Defrag fails, the entire store is gone.

So if I do haft to do the offline, should I use the /t for the temp db?
I"ve also read that you can prevent the automove of the db and keep it post
defrag.

Chris

"Susan" wrote:

> actually, moving the mailboxes to another store would be the better
> option...defrag is always a risk, and does involve considerable downtime...
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "CJS" <CJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have determined that it is benificial for a offline defrag on my EE2003
> > SP2.  I will be gaining about 45% space across 4 mailbox stores.
> >
> > Currently my disk has about 7gb of free space and my largest MBS is 63gb
> > (combined .edb and .stm)
> >
> > I have other drives on this server so I can use /t switch, but my
> > questions
> > is it really necessary?  Or will it defrag it fine without it? Any other
> > switches I should be aware of and/or look at using?
> >
> > I've toyed with the idea of moving mailboxes over to a empty MBS and move
> > that over, but I have determined that is not the way I would like to go.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > CJS

0
CJS (7)
1/31/2007 8:06:00 PM
if you must, go ahead...ensure you have a good full online backup before
beginning, then take another immediately after...see this for command
switches:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317014/en-us

--

>I agree 100% susan, but I have been receiving push-back from management of
> the move method.  I've explained to them that the move method is "safer"
> if
> something happens, you only lose the mailbox that fails in the move.. The
> Defrag fails, the entire store is gone.
>
> So if I do haft to do the offline, should I use the /t for the temp db?
> I"ve also read that you can prevent the automove of the db and keep it
> post
> defrag.
>
> Chris
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
>> actually, moving the mailboxes to another store would be the better
>> option...defrag is always a risk, and does involve considerable
>> downtime...
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "CJS" <CJS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have determined that it is benificial for a offline defrag on my
>> >EE2003
>> > SP2.  I will be gaining about 45% space across 4 mailbox stores.
>> >
>> > Currently my disk has about 7gb of free space and my largest MBS is
>> > 63gb
>> > (combined .edb and .stm)
>> >
>> > I have other drives on this server so I can use /t switch, but my
>> > questions
>> > is it really necessary?  Or will it defrag it fine without it? Any
>> > other
>> > switches I should be aware of and/or look at using?
>> >
>> > I've toyed with the idea of moving mailboxes over to a empty MBS and
>> > move
>> > that over, but I have determined that is not the way I would like to
>> > go.
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance!
>> >
>> > CJS

0
sconkey (3059)

Outlook doesnt prompt to work online/offline
OS: XP Office: 2002XP MS doesnt always prompt to work online/offline when opening outlook. The problem is that it might give u the option the 1st time you open outlook, but the 2nd and 3rd time it will not prompt you, it will just open outlook (online). I have disconneted the pda/pocket pc from the computer to make sure that it was not keeping a link between the two. I have closed outlook and killed the Outlook.exe that was running, but it still wont give the option. Anyone had this problem? Thanks ...

Questions about rebuilding a db 03-28-10
Lateley I've notices my database freezing from time to time, so I tried the following... a) created a new data base b) imported all tables, queries, forms, ...... ,modules c) reset the References d) reset the Startup options e) compile Everything is working great now, but I have a few questions about this process. Did I miss any crucial steps? (don't want any surprises later) Is there a prefered order to do these steps? Finally, the database is now about 30% smaller, even though I was regularly compiling, compacting/repairing the former one. I'd like to know w...

microsoft publisher question
Is there any way to retrieve a document that wasn't saved? Doubtful. You might get lucky and Publisher created a temp file. In Windows Explorer, type %temp% in the address bar. Find any file that has a pub prefix. Change the .tmp to .pub and try opening it. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "llcoby" <llcoby@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F76C488D-E9CB-469C-AE5C-BC720692437A@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to retrieve a document that wasn't saved? ...

Problems w/ Outlook 2k3 and Offline storage of messages
A little background: We are utilizing Outlook2k3 (fully patched) on Windows XP Pro (also patched) in an Exchange 2000 environment. All systems are NTFS, file size of the .OST files are less than 1 GB. Various users are beginning to have problems with viewing their messages when not connected to the network (ie- laptop users traveling). It is not directly consistent, as to the extent/date that messages go back, amongst all these users when the systems are offline. When attached to the network (online) all messages are viewable. I have renamed the .ost files and allowed new ones to be rec...

Excel question reposted
Hi I am reposting this problem with more detail in the hope that there is a workaround to this. Initially what I did was created a spreadsheet and then pasted 'screenshots' into the spreadsheet with comments bedside. I then shared the workbook, as I require other people's comments. Once they have entered their comments in the spreadsheet, I will then move the pasted screenshots and all comments to another 'Sheet'. The problem is that now that the spreadsheet is shared, I cant move the pictures. Thanks again Julia It's true that there are significant restricti...

Outlook 2010 question
I want to delete my existing pst folders and start over with a pst that I have saved to a safe location. How do I do that? You delete the present pst and put the pst files that you have backed up manually back in the same place from where you deleted the present pst -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://www.microsoft.com/protect "RichCo" <richcolo@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4cd59...

Physical inventory question #3
I have a customer that is looking at an inventory last month and in the Summary box it shows what quantities and values were expected, however, when I click Print and export the data to CSV, the expected totals do not match what is in the summary box. Any ideas? Is there a way to subtotal the Active report when printed to screen? Thanks in advance. Phil Try the 2nd icon "select columns to group" on the top of the report. You can subtotal them by what column you choose to group them by. "Phil V" wrote: > I have a customer that is looking at an inventory last...

Exchange 5.5 IMC question
Hi, anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow it to send?? Cheers John On the Connections tab, set the Transfer Mode to Outbound Only. Restart the IMS. -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "John" <John@4sol.com> wrote in message news:OnQV9krLEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow > it to send?? > > Cheers > > John > > Great tip!! This is the answer to my problem (see the "Can I run NAV on received e-mails?"). I need to install NA...

User Form Security Question
Hi, I'm creating a form, which onces completed transfers the data over to the spreadsheet. But the guys in work don't really pay much attention to what they have entered , so i was wondering is there any way to make the user double check every entry? I was thinking, once the user clicks ok, a msgbox would appear giving the user the value they entered, click ok if correct or cancel to amend. Is there a easy way to do this? Cheers. -- harpscardiff ------------------------------------------------------------------------ harpscardiff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

Installation of CRM on SBS 2003 Question
When installing CRM 3.0 on Microsoft SBS 2003 will installing into the default web site cause any problems with any thing else running from there such as Outook Web access, sharepoint, etc? Is it better to create a "new web site" when installing? Thanks, John Lammey You should create a new website. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "John Lammey" wrote: > When installing CRM 3.0 on Microsoft SBS 2003 will installing into the > default web site cause any problems with any thing else running from there > such as Outook Web access, sharepoint,...

Info store Defrag
What is the best/safest way to defragment my exchange 2000 databases? 328804 How to Defragment Exchange Databases http://support.microsoft.com/?id=328804 -- Michael Barta [MSFT] Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "chellea" <eric@putnamcompany.com> wrote in message news:O7q6Fdm8DHA.712@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > What is the best/safest way to defragment my exchange 2000 databases? > > ...

Checkbox customization question
How can I implement checkbox in MSCRM ? I have a contacts with multiple professions. From a list of available professions as checkboxes, the user should be able to check all the applicable professions. Any ideas. Try Powertrak Core from www.axonom.com "Arch" <discussion11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b87a74db.0405210819.3232b5d8@posting.google.com... > How can I implement checkbox in MSCRM ? I have a contacts with > multiple professions. From a list of available professions as > checkboxes, the user should be able to check all the applicable > professions. Any...

address database question
I am setting up an address database in Excel 2003 that I need to be able to use to make labels for mailings. I have people that are in different "categories" and will want to group them by that category, depending on who I am sending the mailing to. For instance, I have a person, Person A, who is a general supporter, lives in the area, and sponsors a child. Person A is in three of the possible 5 categories. Another person, Person B, might be simply a general supporter (i.e., in one category). How can I best organize the data - and the headings - so that I can make labels ...

overtime charging question
A B C date hours worked 9 name hours offered 10 hours charged 3 Hi I have a sheet set up this way and want to chart overtime. Anything over 8 hours is time and a half, Saturday's are time and a half all day and Sunday is double charge.How can i set this up so it recognizes the date and charges correctly on the weekends. Will Excel recognize the date as weekend? The example above shows someone working 9 but offered 10 so charged 1 1/2 x 2 or 3 hours charged. Thanks Karl Karl Chip Pearson has a good sit...

eConnect question #3
When integrating inventory items via eConnect, is it possible to assign the item to all existing sites? Tony: Yes you can do that - by building your own code in the taUpdateCreateItemRcdPost procedure - I added the following code and now when I pass one item all of the sites of I have set up are now inserted into the IV00102 table. I just did a quick test and it seemed to work out fine. Here is the simple code you would add to the post procedure. I hope this is what you are looking for - I built this on 9.x (hopefully it pastes in here okay). Code to insert: insert into IV00102 (I...

Security Model Design Question
Poke a Hole in this Security Model! I think I have a pretty good security design, but wanted a second opinion :). The following Security model works – however, I have to lock the user out of Excel downloads and Mail merges so that the user can’t download the company’s entire contact list. Am I overlooking something that would allow users to own individual Accounts and Contact, yet preclude others from seeing opportunities attached to contacts they own? Background Assumptions 1 – Some sales reps are organized Geographically – others are organized Functionally (by industry). 2 – Sales...

Shared Borders Question....
Can 'Shared Borders' be .asp rather than .htm? There is a particular script I will like to run, but it can not be .htm. Thanks David No. -- Tom [Pepper] Willett Microsoft MVP - FrontPage Since 1997 --------------------------- "116" <116@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52CEB706-E273-461F-9DD9-483EBA3C1F57@microsoft.com... : Can 'Shared Borders' be .asp rather than .htm? There is a particular script : I will like to run, but it can not be .htm. : : Thanks : David The shared border files must be .htm - left.htm, righ...

listview insert question
I am really having a time determining what is wrong with the inserting from a dropdownlist inside a listview. Everything else is working regarding the listview, except the insert. But, there must partially working as there is a new row added to the table, just not with information. When I add SelectedValue='<%# Bind("ApplicationItemID") %>' to the droplist I get an error. The error is as follows; "Databinding methods such as Eval(), XPath(), and Bind() can only be used in the context of a databound control." I have an insertcommand a...

"newbie" question using exchange
we have a new install of exchange using sbs 2003. What we would like to do is setup mail folders for three different user accounts that are accessable by all users. I would like for mail that is sent to these accounts (eg: orders@companyname.com) to be sent to the appropriate "public" folder. Could someone give me some direction on setting this up? Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a link that explains how to do what you are looking for: http://www.msexchange.org/articles/MF021.html The link relates to Exchange 2000 but the steps are the same. -- Mark Fuga...

Setup new acct question...
I am trying to add a new bank account in 2004. When it comes to assigning a FI I am only given the choice, in a drop down list, of the accts that have previously been set up. How do I manage to get a new bank name assigned? tia In microsoft.public.money, John h wrote: >I am trying to add a new bank account in 2004. When it comes to assigning a >FI I am only given the choice, in a drop down list, of the accts that have >previously been set up. How do I manage to get a new bank name assigned? AccountList->SetUpAccounts->AddANewAccount and type the name of the bank int...

Offline Address Book not updating on Outlook 2003 clients in cache
I am having an issue with the Offline Address Book that suddenly stopped updating changes to the Global Address list on clients that run Outlook 2003 in cache mode. This started for no apparent reason sometime last week. We noticed it this morning when a user called to complain that a new user was not appearing in the GAL. This user had been added late last week. I have tried rebuilding the RUS, and regenerating the OAL, then forcing the download of the OAB using Tools/ Send and Receive / Download Address Book in Outlook. This did not fix the issue. We are running Exchange 2003 w/...

Offline Outlook client installs, but blows up when you coinfigure
I have user who can install the crm dynamics 4.0 offline outlook client for on premise with no issues. Then when you go to Configure he gets error message, and event logs as follows: Note: the config exe (microsoft.crm.client.config.exe) blows up: Event Type: Error Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 7/31/2008 Time: 10:26:43 AM User: N/A Computer: SPRINGERD830 Description: Faulting application microsoft.crm.client.config.exe, version 4.0.7333.3, stam...

A question about CCommandLineInfo
I want to write an application that if it is given no command line arguments, it will run in a GUI mode. However, if the user passes any command line arguments, it means that he wishes to execute the program in a "automatic" mode, therefore I want it to in this case run and eject information to the console. I want it to be a single application to help reduce redant code. - Christopher Dannemiller. This is a common question. I've never seen a good answer for it, mostly because I think the idea basically is a Bad Idea anyway. joe On 3 Jun 2005 15:54:00 -0700, chris.dannemil...

Recovering a corrupted Offline Storage Folder
I am attempting to recover a corrupted offline storage (*.ost) file. Is there anyway to convert this file into a .PST format? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Yep; http://officerecovery.com/exchange/ -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Jody Davis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1f83d01c45878$5a92dab0$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I am attempting to recover a corrupted offline storage > (*.ost) file. Is there...

DISP_FUNCTION_ID and ON_EVENT question
Hi, When I used: AfxConnectionAdvise (pSrcUnk, __uuidof (ISomeInterfaceEvents), GetIDispatch(TRUE), TRUE, &m_cookie); in a CCmdTarget derived class. I expected that I will be able to use ON_EVENT but it didn't work but DISP_FUNCTION_ID. Can any one explain this and what is the difference between DISP_FUNCTION_ID and ON_EVENT Thanks in advance ...