Not enough memory or cpu?

Hi,

We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that performance
degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
many times).

We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).

I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.

Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
memory.

Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?

Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory or
cpu?

Thanks

0
Vishal (50)

Vishal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that performance
> degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
> many times).
>

> We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
> Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).
>
> I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
> is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.
>
> Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
> the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
> memory.
>
> Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?
>
> Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory or
> cpu?
>
> Thanks

Hi,

You could load up perfmon and check it out, but if you have 512 MB of
ram then there is your bottleneck, I can imagine your store.exe process
is using ~ 900MB to 1 GB of ram. Load the server up with 2 GB of ram and
let it fly.
0
chad845 (4)
4/26/2007 4:55:03 PM
I would recommend downloading the Troubleshooting Microsoft Exchange Server
Performance document
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=8679f6bd-7ff0-41f5-bdd0-c09019409fc0&displaylang=en)
which should help you analyse the cause of the issues.

First impressions are that memory is the limiting factor. A very rough guide
is 1000 users per processor so 30 should be fine however it also depends on
what that server is doing i.e. is it just an Exchange server ? Is the third
party software causing an issue ? This is where the document will come in
useful as moving to a new server might not resolve the issue if it is third
party software causing the problems.

For 30 users I would not have thought that a dual proc box is required but
it depends on what else the server is used for. Also if the server supports
hyperthreading then you that will help, its not equivalent to a dual
processor box but might give a 30%-40% performance improvement.

Regards

Paul Ford

"Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that
> performance
> degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
> many times).
>

> We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
> Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).
>
> I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
> is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.
>
> Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
> the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
> memory.
>
> Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?
>
> Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory
> or
> cpu?
>
> Thanks

0
paulford1 (138)
4/26/2007 5:09:58 PM
Memory bottleneck would be my first suspect; especially considering the
other tasks running in addition to Exchange (SMSE).  Use perfmon to verify.

I'd look to the "Performance and Scalability Guide for Exchange Server 2003"
in determining what you should have.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996078.aspx

"Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that
> performance
> degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
> many times).
>

> We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
> Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).
>
> I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
> is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.
>
> Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
> the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
> memory.
>
> Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?
>
> Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory
> or
> cpu?
>
> Thanks

0
John
4/26/2007 5:47:37 PM
Thanks for the info.

Also we are adding more users soon so I think we'll just go for new server.

Your comments are insightful!

"John Fullbright" wrote:

> Memory bottleneck would be my first suspect; especially considering the
> other tasks running in addition to Exchange (SMSE).  Use perfmon to verify.
>
> I'd look to the "Performance and Scalability Guide for Exchange Server 2003"
> in determining what you should have.
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa996078.aspx
>

> "Vishal" <Vishal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that
> > performance
> > degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
> > many times).
> >

> > We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
> > Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).
> >
> > I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
> > is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.
> >
> > Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
> > the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
> > memory.
> >
> > Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?
> >
> > Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory
> > or
> > cpu?
> >
> > Thanks

0
Vishal (50)
4/26/2007 5:58:03 PM
On Apr 26, 11:48 am, Vishal <Vis...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that performance
> degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
> many times).
>
> We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
> Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).
>
> I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
> is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.
>
> Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
> the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
> memory.
>
> Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?
>
> Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory or
> cpu?
>
> Thanks

0
jamestechman (1266)
4/26/2007 7:40:13 PM
High cpu for what process?

James Chong (MVP)

On Apr 26, 11:48 am, Vishal <Vis...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a P4 2.26 Ghz with 512MB of memory. I have noticied that performance
> degrades and that cpu usage sometimes stays high 60 to 80^ (reaching 100%
> many times).
>
> We have around 30 people connecting to exchange 2003, plus its running
> Symantec Mail Security Exchange (SMSE).
>
> I am wondering is the high usage of cpu due to excess paging because their
> is not enough memory or is the cpu the cause of the problem.
>
> Its a Dell Poweredge 400 SC server. We were planning to replace this with
> the IBM x3500 server which is Dual Core 2.33GHz (but single cpu) with 4GB
> memory.
>
> Do we need to have 2 cpu's or will the current proposed IBM x3500 suffice?
>
> Also is the current problem that we have got to do with not enough memory or
> cpu?
>
> Thanks

0
jamestechman (1266)

XslTransform and Long Long String in memory
Hi, Can anybody explain the following? Say I have the following source XML and XSLT (see below). No matter what this XSLT does. It is just a sample to show a problem. the idea is that XSLT transforms small XML into quite big XML. Now, I have a straightforward C# (see below) code that does this transform and writes result into XmlTextWriter. (Oleg's NXSLT.EXE is also suitable). Problem: If source XML is bigger, say several MBs (please don't explain me that it is not good to use XSLT for such documents), the sample transform should produce a very big (add more calls to templ...

Mailmerge Out Of Memory
I have installed Publisher 97 on my new Windows XP PC even though I already have Publisher 2003 on the machine. The reason I installed the old version also was simply because it was taking me a lot longer than I had hoped to master 2003 and there are some old publications which I need from time to time. Everything in 97 works fine on the new machine, except for one item. When I attempt to use MAILMERGE, whether it be OPEN DATA SOURCE or CREATE PUBLISHER ADDRESS LIST, it responds with the same message PUBMERGE - OUT OF MEMORY As I say, everything else works fine. So what have I done w...

out of memory #2
When I try to open a PDF attachement I receive the message "OUT OF MEMORY OR SYSTEM RESOURCES. CLOSE SOME WINDOWS OR PROGRAMS AND TRY AGAIN". This is the only program or window I have open (othen then antivirus progam) I double click on the attachement - the next menu comes up and ask if I want to SAVE or OPEN - I click on OPEN and that is when the message appears. Please advise. Thanks - DJ ...

GP SQL Server Performance monitoring, problem with CPU related loc
The past week our GP SQL Server has been locking up. All GP clients (around 15) lockup and are not able to do anything within the app. When this happens the CPU on the server maxes out. It last for around 15 minutes then the CPU goes back to normal and everyone can start to use the GP clients again. Is there a way to see what is happening? For instance maybe its a batch/transaction/query/report etc. that a user is running that is causing this. Is there a log I can review or something to help me pinpoint what process is doing this? Thanks for your input! Hi, Can you pl...

Estimating application memory requirements
Our company has an app that is heavily dependent Sqlserver. Our test server is 64 bit with 32gb of RAM. I am hoping to find a minimum amount of RAM to recommend to our clients. If i set the MAX server memory value low and then increase that value with the same load, and watch the Sql memory stats will i be able to find the point at which more memory to the process isn't adding value? i am using this for performance counter values http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Performance+Tuning/analyzingmemoryrequirementsforsqlserver/2498/ which looks a lot like this one htt...

My computer has stopped recognizing my memory card
This just happened today. The card was purchased the day after Thanksgiving so it's very new. It is a 4GB SD card from HP. I don't believe this is a hardware problem as my digital camera Lexar 1GB Memory Stick Duo card and adapter worked just fine today in the same slot. There has been no damage to the card. It has a write-protection lock on the side and I've tried the card with and without the lock on - neither way worked. I've also checked "My Computer" and confirmed that the computer is not listing my card as a drive any longer. I really need to get t...

entity unicode in memory ?
I have turned 'see display unicode string option on under tools/options/debug' and while the enity I am hoping to see is only represented in the regular debugger as a ? followed by a space, I now SEE SOMETHING very different in the memory view. ( This is the memory when this legacy code pulls the outer HTML from an XML with imbedded XSL. It displays in the webcontrol the small delta represented by &#916; in the XML Can you help me understand what I am seeing after the > and before the A2630AA 4F 00 44 00 59 00 3E 00 94 03 20 00 3C 00 2F 00 42 00 O.D.Y.>.”. .<./.B 3E ...

Memory Leak when copying Excel Charts to another worksheet
Hi I have a BAD memory leak when I copy a chart... even a blank chart to another worksheet. It eventually causes excel to crash. In my example, the sequence to crash excel was as follows: - Copy Chart 5000 times (loop) - less times would work too, and you'd see the increase in private bytes as you go along - Copy method of range class failed - Clicked End button on debug message box - Closed Excel - Message: The picture is too large and will be truncated - Excel.exe - Application error. The instruction at "0x300dc756" referenced memor...

ShellAboutW fails with memory access violation,...Bug?
This is some way of strange to me, because the Unicode ShellAbout (did not test it with Ansi) fails with memory access violation. Even this code fails inside a simple wain function with no code except this: ShellAbout(NULL,TEXT("roo - resource object optimizer...#roo.exe\0"), TEXT("See helpfile for more information.\0") ,NULL); I use Visual C++ 2008 and the latest Windows SDK (6.0.6001.18000.367) Builds with no problem or warnings, but fails on this simple call. Target OS is Windows XP 32bit... Stack Trace gives me this: shell32.dll!SHCreateQueryCancelAutoPlayMoniker...

memory instruction reference can't be read
Hi, Compiler:Visual C++ 6.0 In debug configuration, I can build the project and run it without error. But in release configuration, I can build the project and run it. When I click one button, the compiler shows: "The instruction at "0x004022ff" referenced memory at "0x00000030". The memory could not be read." What shall I do to solve this problem? Thank you. > Hi, > Compiler:Visual C++ 6.0 > In debug configuration, I can build the project and run it without error. > But in release configuration, I can build the project and run it. > When I cl...

using 1024MB memory in Windows CE 6.0 R3
Hi All: Our platform has 1025MB (one Gig Bytes) memory DIMM. But just 512M was defined in "platform" batch file. IMGRAM512 was set How can I set Windows CE using full of memory (1G)? Is it a simple setting or involving a lots of coding? Thanks Due to the limit of static kernel space mapping is 512MB, so that is the maximum memory amount CE 6 kernel can handle. Note that does not stop you from using more RAM; but due to it is out of the kernel's soil, so you not only need to map (can use VirtualCopy or just MmMapIoSpace) the RAM on your own but also the bigge...

Not Enough Memory
Everytime I work on a file in Excel from a floppy disk (A drive), I generally ALWAYS will get a "Not Enough Memory" message when I try to print. Sometimes I get this message when I am working on a file (editing)and I try to save, I will get this message. I am using Excel 97 & have had this program on 2 computers and the very same thing happens. The programs were from two different disks, so it's not just a disk problem. Is there a problem with Excel 97 itself? Has anyone else experienced this problem? LC When you open a file in Excel, a temporary copy is made. ...

Tempdb on a memory card
In another discussion, someone suggested putting tempdb on a solid-state memory card, which I would assume to be a RAM drive. I remember trying this a long time ago and couldn't get it to function, though to be fair, it may not have been SQL Server. Is this allowed and does it work well? There is a world of difference between a SD card, a RAM drive, and an enterprise-class Solid State Drive. Memory cards are considerably slower for data transfer than physical disks. SSDs come out about even on transfer rates with physical disks, but have zero seek time so file fra...

Macro Error...OUT OF MEMORY
I am trying to run a macro in an excel csv file. The following occurs: The following error occurs: The application is about to install ActiveX controls, if you trust this source click ok, then systems error: &H8004005 (-2147467259 unspecified error), after clicking OK it says OUT OF MEMORY. Any help is appreciated. G118 I've had similar problems with regular .xls files on my networked computer at work.........when I run the same file on my laptop, which is half the speed and one-quarter the RAM, the file and the macros work fine.........I lay it off to too much "monitoring...

M05Deluxe 100% CPU
Hey, anyone have the PAINFUL problem of M05D absolutely max'ing out their CPU (task mgr 100%) in Win XP Professional? Takes +2 minutes to move from one screen to another. I know a p3/800mhz & 384m RAM, 10gig Free on the HD isnt a powerhorse anymore, but PLEASE!! M03 was slow, but not NEARLY this bad. I've tried everything, including stripping down all unnecessary processes. steve wrote: > Hey, anyone have the PAINFUL problem of M05D absolutely max'ing out their CPU > (task mgr 100%) in Win XP Professional? Takes +2 minutes to move from one > screen to anoth...

Custom Memory Manager
I have a class that allocates alot of small chunks of memory using 'new'. Each time I re-initialize the class, deleting the memory gets slower to process. I've traced it down to the loop where the memory is 'delete'd. I'm not getting any memory leaks so I am thinking that the process is fragmenting the memory enough to cause a performance issue. Is there a way to create a custom 'new' and 'delete' class so that I can allocate/free a block of memory? Does anyone have a sample? Thanks There is a book "C++ for real programmers" by Jeff Alger A ...

Outlook 2003 Memory Hog
Should Outlook 2003 be using over 56,000k of memory?? ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

visual studio memory utilization?
I am using Visual Studio 2008 version 9.0.30729.1 SP I have a solution with about 25 c# and vb projects in it - these include web projects, business classes, windows forms projects. These projects all share business classes. When I start Visual Studio, the memory usage for devenv.exe is about 20 megabytes in Task Manager. When I load my solution, the memory usage increases rapidly to over 400 megabytes, and then gradually increases to well over 500 megabytes. Of course performance is poor, and I assume that something is wrong, but I don't know where to look. Thank...

100%CPU with inetinfo.exe
Hi (AD2000, W2K, Exchange 2000 SP3) since this morning, process inetinfo.exe takes 100% CPU. the mail system is still running and delivering email but very slowly. there are no errors loggued anywhere. it's exactly the same problem as this : http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Email_Groupware/Exchange_Server/Q_21683466.html what can i do ? thanks If you are running SMTP antivirus on your server try stopping it and see the utilization. Also you noticed high CPU utilization this morning please go thru your application and system event logs. It might give you some clue ...

Low memory error message in Publisher
I get a "low memory" error message when I try to use the mail merge in Publisher. I don't use Norton Antivirus so I don't believe this is the problem. I've read other responses about "low memory" error messages and haven't found a solution to my problem. I am trying to merge a Microsoft Word file into Publisher to make address labels. Any ideas??? -- Jodi It always helps to know what version Publisher you are using. Is your printer driver current? Most of the memory issues in Publisher usually are caused by virus programs, Norton is more prone t...

QAT does not allow enough room for customization
I posted the paragraphs below on a message board (http://www.exceluser.com/explore/surveys/ribbon/ribbon-survey-results.htm) some time ago. My company's #1 client has migrated to 2007, and are were forced to do so in order to maintain our relationship. The option to 'stick with 2003' is not available to us , and 2007 is crippling our productivity. There is no end in sight, as the custom programming we built in is now gone forever, and we will lose work due to loss of competitive advantage. I'm not critical of change, and I'm not trying to hold on to a dino...

Memory leakage !!
I have placed MS comm control on Test dialog, While initiate the dialog it is occupying around 2MB space, I am unable to free this space. I am giving the snippets of the code. MSComm m_ctlComm; m_ctlComm.SetCommPort(1); m_ctlComm.SetInBufferSize(1024); m_ctlComm.SetOutBufferSize(512); m_ctlComm.SetSettings("9600,n,8,1"); m_ctlComm.SetInputMode(1);//0 - Text and 1 - Binary. m_ctlComm.SetRThreshold(0);// To Raise OnCommEvent() method. m_ctlComm.SetSThreshold(0); try { m_ctlComm.SetPortOpen(TRUE); } catch(CException* e) { AfxMessageBox("Port is already open. ",M...

debuging memory leak
Please advise how to get to the source of the problem having this dump only: Info: AfxDllCanUnloadNow returning S_OK Detected memory leaks! Dumping objects -> {86} normal block at 0x00DF2D90, 24 bytes long. Data: < - - > 90 2D DF 00 90 2D DF 00 CD CD CD CD CD CD CD CD {85} normal block at 0x00DF2DE0, 33 bytes long. Data: < Search History > 00 53 65 61 72 63 68 20 48 69 73 74 6F 72 79 00 {83} normal block at 0x00DF2E30, 60 bytes long. Data: < 0 > 08 A5 1A 10 30 A4 1A 10 CC CD CD CD 00 00 00 00 Object dump complete. Is there any tool to localize ...

Crystal Error
I am receiving the following error when accessing the reports; Crystal Report Logon Error - Please verify that you have enough Crystal licenses Here is a copy of the event log; MSCRM Platform Error Report: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------- Error: Unable to access crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to log into crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to communicate with crystallogon.csp Error Message: Unable to access crystal; check to see if you have enough licenses : Unable to...

memory leaks in vc++
I am trying to develop an application to transfer a folder of files using sockets. I have been using a loop to transfer all the files. there are many memory leakage errors found in debugging. how can i solve this? the output is differing. and I am unable to find the exactly where is the error in the code. could u please help regarding this. that would be greatful to me, sirisha. Give ur code..then onlly we can serve you..):- "sirisha" <sirishamohan2000@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1149592780.633366.146500@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... >I am trying to develop an...