No longer need Public Folders-Need to delete them.

My company has decided to remove the Public Folders in Exchange. We are
running Exchange 2003. Before I do anything, I am looking for a correct
process to do this.
What steps do I need to take? They are just gathering Spam to the associated
email addresses linked to them.
Any assistance or tips would be great.

thanks
0
spepi (26)

You do know that you can set the Public Folders to accept messages from only
authenticated users, right?  You can also set the PF permissions to not
allow anonymous to contribute new posts (client permissions).  Both these
solutions should fix the spam problem.

Also, you cannot remove Public folders entirely, or other things will stop
working.  Namely Free/Busy calendar information (among other things).  You
can delete all the public folders you have created (just delete them from
within Outlook), but make sure that you don't delete the Public folder
store.  Also, if you are absolutely sure you don't want to use Public
Folders, then you should make sure that you modify the permissions so that
only a select few can create top level public folders.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"spepi" <spepi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My company has decided to remove the Public Folders in Exchange. We are
> running Exchange 2003. Before I do anything, I am looking for a correct
> process to do this.
> What steps do I need to take? They are just gathering Spam to the
> associated
> email addresses linked to them.
> Any assistance or tips would be great.
>
> thanks

0
Ben
4/7/2005 2:06:17 PM
Thanks Ben. This helps me out alot. I will want to set the top level of
public folders so only Domain admins can make changes. Where should I make
these permission changes so they are inherited to all underlying public
folders? I didnt think you could remove the public folder completley, but
underlying folders I didnt think it would be a big deal.
If I was to stop the pub1.edb from mounting at startup, would that pose a
problem?

The best and most efficient way to do this would be great. I have granted
myself individual permissions to some folders so I could delete spam within
the folders.

My boss just wants to rid them all together. setting them to only accept
from authorized users isnt in the picture here.

Again, thanks for your fast response.

0
spepi (26)
4/7/2005 2:17:07 PM
If you go into Exchange System Manager, Administrative Groups, Folders, then
go to the properties of Public Folders - Security, you will need to modify
the permissions there of who has the rights to create top-level folders.
It's not likely that regular users have inherited rights at that level
(unless they have elevated Exchange permissions elsewhere as well).

Don't stop the pub1.edb from mounting at startup.  As I explained, there are
certain functions that rely on public folders, one of the more critical
being free/busy information.  Hope that helps.

--

> Thanks Ben. This helps me out alot. I will want to set the top level of
> public folders so only Domain admins can make changes. Where should I make
> these permission changes so they are inherited to all underlying public
> folders? I didnt think you could remove the public folder completley, but
> underlying folders I didnt think it would be a big deal.
> If I was to stop the pub1.edb from mounting at startup, would that pose a
> problem?
>
> The best and most efficient way to do this would be great. I have granted
> myself individual permissions to some folders so I could delete spam
> within
> the folders.
>
> My boss just wants to rid them all together. setting them to only accept
> from authorized users isnt in the picture here.
>
> Again, thanks for your fast response.

0
Ben
4/7/2005 2:32:46 PM
Thanks Ben. All permissions are default. No one has any extra powers.
Once all said and done, and all the pub folders are gone, can I hide Pub
Folder root?

0
spepi (26)
4/7/2005 2:49:05 PM
Ben..I know this isnt the same subject, but I have 2 accounts.
Webdemo - Distribution List
Placeware - User

If I rename the user account Placeware to Webdemo, will it work? Therefore
having a WebDemo User and a WebDemo Distribution List
If it does work, will all data stay in tact?

Sorry for jumping off subject, but you know your stuff.

thanks

0
spepi (26)
4/7/2005 2:55:08 PM
Mmmm - don't think so, but I'm not positive.  There isn't any way that I
know of to hide that, but then again, I've never tried to :-)  I wouldn't
muck around with the default permissions on the Public Folders (root), as
the System folders are stored in there as well.  Removing permissions from
there could have the same effect as dismounting the public folder store.

--

> Thanks Ben. All permissions are default. No one has any extra powers.
> Once all said and done, and all the pub folders are gone, can I hide Pub
> Folder root?

0
Ben
4/7/2005 3:08:11 PM
Not sure I understand the intended result.  Do you just want to make sure
that renaming the Placeware user account won't affect the user data (i.e.
mailbox data)?

Aside from that, I don't think that you can have 2 accounts with the same
display name.  What do you use the Distribution Group for vs. what do you
use the User/mailbox for?

--

> Ben..I know this isnt the same subject, but I have 2 accounts.
> Webdemo - Distribution List
> Placeware - User
>
> If I rename the user account Placeware to Webdemo, will it work? Therefore
> having a WebDemo User and a WebDemo Distribution List
> If it does work, will all data stay in tact?
>
> Sorry for jumping off subject, but you know your stuff.
>
> thanks

0
Ben

Wrong message with cascading deletes
A2003: Table Person linked 1 X M to table Activity. The relationship has its Referential Integrity checkbox and the Cascade Delete checkbox both checked. When I delete a person all related Activity records are deleted which is to be expected. According to http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=26115&seqNum=5 I should get the following message in this case: "Relationships that specify cascading deletes are about to cause 1 record(s) in this table and in related tables to be deleted. Are you sure you want to delete these records?" In stead I get: &quo...

#Delete Mark in Bound Memo filed

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

CFile (delete file)

Offline folder problems #2

Public Folder link to Excel File

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder

Need HELP! for Linking data

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

Need to add to current formula

Need macro help to close excel

OWA Calendar
Hello, Is it possible to publish a public folder calendar (that users currently make changes to in Outlook) to a web page? Does Exchange have some sort of tools to do this? Users could still make changes through Outlook and we would like to be able to display the calendar on our website. Thoughts? TIA, Jason "Jason King" <jasonk@bham.wednet.edu> wrote in message news:%230ps86yIFHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > Is it possible to publish a public folder calendar (that users currently > make changes to in Outlook) to a web page? Does Exchange have so...

Outlook 2003
Hi Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in outlook 2003? Many thanks Lee Lee Atkinson <leeatkinsonlincs@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is it possible to order the deleted items by date of deletion in > outlook 2003? Use the Field Chooser to add the Modified time to the Deleted Items folder header bar (the one that says "From", "Subject", "Received", etc. and sort on that time. Deleting an item is a modification, so I would expect the modified date to be affected, giving you the most accurate value of the item's deleted time....

How do I delete a custom attribute.
Help! I created a custom attribute in the Contact Entity of my Microsoft CRM on my production server and it has a typo. I would really like to rename it or delete it but there is no obvious way. I have also looked through MSDN etc and have found no reference to it (creating yes, deleting editing, no). Thanks in advance. Unfortunately it is not possible to edit or delete schema fields in MS CRM 1.2 "MagKip" <mkipiniak@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2f1d4940.0409080656.65b00dde@posting.google.com... > Help! I created a custom attribute in the Contact Entity of my &...

Outlook 2007 "Move to folder" default setting
By default, in Outlook 2007, when you right-click on a message and select "Move to Folder", the initial folder selected is the last folder that a message has been moved into. Is there a way to have this option always default to Inbox? Thanks much for the help! No, but you can also directly move the message to your Inbox folder via drag & drop instead of using the Move To dialog for this. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.ms...

Public Folder Replication #33
Hi there, we've got 2 Exchange 2K3 Std edition and 2 DC 2K3 in 2 different sites under 1 Domain. All users, Global groups, their mailboxes and departmental public folders have been created on the servers depending of where they are based at. My question is I'm trying to set "Directors" Global Group and their users to able to access all public folders on both sides. At the moment it seems like only mails replicate between 2 sites. But public folders can not be seen on an exchange server if it's been created on the other site. Is there any reason why public folders don'...

LDAP search Outlook public folder
Hello, I have a multifunction device that I am attempting to set up to search a public folder containing contacts. Windows Server 2000, Exchange 2000, Outlook 2000. I created a public folder called "Test". Assigned permissions to this folder via Outlook. I then copied all contacts from each users personal contact list into this new folder. I have everyone's Outlook using this as the default contact folder. This part works great. The device I am trying to set up is a Toshiba Estudio 4511. I created a LDAP server entry on the Toshiba and am able to see the Global Address Li...

In need of Merge Help
I have a table built with some information I would like to use on a new table. The new table will be used for export use only and not for information to be entered via a new form. But I would like to have it update as information is updated to TABLE1. A detail of what is trying to be done is: TABL1 have fields called [Given Name], [Other ID], [Tax ID], and [Location] TABLE2 have fields called [Entry Name], [ID INFO], and [State] I need [Entry Name] = [Given Name] [ID INFO] = [Other ID] &”, “& [Tax ID] (w/ a comma space between if possible) [State] = [Location] Information from T...

Calendars don't appear in folder list
In the folder list for a PST file, any calendar folders don't appear. I can create a new PST, create a calendar folder in it, but the folder doesn't appear in the list of folders. I've tried repairing Office 2007, removing and reinstalling... nothing. The PSTs are OK - on another machine the calendar folders DO appear. Jut not on this machine. (Windows 7 64-bit home edition). They used to - but I've reinstalled W7 and all applications and now calendars don't appar. Can anyone help please? No clue if this relates But....Sometimes in Outlook '03 I...

Moving old email folders (entourage) to new computer
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop Please can you tell me how to do this, so that I have all my old emails on my new computer? Thanks ...

Public Folder Path
Dear All, Can anyone tell me that where are the Public Folders created in Exchange? And what is their Physical Path? -- Regards, Muhammad Nasir Waqar Can you please be more precise? Public folders are not like usual folders in filesystem. In exchange 2003 all public folders are in *.edb database file. On 7 Mar, 11:54, "Muhammad Nasir Waqar" <n...@advcomm.net> wrote: > Dear All, > Can anyone tell me that where are the Public Folders created in Exchange? > And what is their Physical Path? > > -- > Regards, > Muhammad Nasir Waqar Actually, I am requi...

Multiple Contacts Folders: can I sync them so I can go back to use
I got the bright idea of making 2 more Contacts folders so that I could be better organized. I decided not to use the old Contacts folder and instead was putting changes in the two news one, which would be used for different purposes. The reason I came up with this is so that I could get around using categories (temporarily) because a lot of them disappeared for some unknown reason. Any, now the problem is that in order for me to set up Contacts to be tracked in the Journal, I have to use the Contacts folder I initially had (the default folder), and Windows Mobile (for my Motorola Q)...