No incoming mail Outlook client - Mail server exchange/Acitve Directory

I need some assistance as I am unable to get incoming mail.

Can you help me get incoming mail to work - perhaps I have configured
Outlook incorrectly?

Please bear with me as I am just starting out with Active
Directory/Exchange server/Outlook
and this posting is long as I have given all the details of setup.

Active Directory and Exchange was set up by someone else.

Configuration
==========
ISP: bigpond.com.au
MX - mail exchange record  points to my server
Mail account: accounts
Domain: vh.local
Website: www.vh.com

Server
Windows 2003 service pack 1
Exchange Server
Active Directory
IP: 192.168.0.10

Client
Windows XP Professional service pack 2
Outlook
192.168.0.103

What I have done
=============
I have set up 'accounts' user in active directory and also set up a
mailbox.

I can send out outgoing mail from the client.

Incoming mail to the client does not work and I get an error message
when 'Test Account Settings' of  'unable to connect to the
incoming mail server(POP3)'.

The mailbox works OK as I can see incoming mail when I go onto Internet

Explorer and to this address:
http://192.168.0.10/exchange/accounts

Setup
====
Display Name: Accounts
Email Address: accou...@vh.com
My Incoming Mail Server is POP3
Incoming mail server: 192.168.0.10
Outgoing mail server: mail.bigpond.com.au
Account Name: accounts
Password: *****
Remember password <- checked
Logon secure password authentication <- unchecked

Questions:
=======
1. Should the incoming mail server be pop.vh.com?
2. Should the incoming mail server be mail.vh.com?
3. Should the incoming mail server be vh.com?
4. Should the account name be vh\accounts?
5. Should I click onto secure password authentication?
6. Are there any other tests I should run or logs I should check?
7. Is there anything obvious I can do to get the incoming mail to work?

0
pwu (3)

When connecting to the mailbox with your POP client authenticate using the
format for the user name: domain\user_id\alias.  If user_id and alias are
the same, the you can omit \alias.  Some clients don't like backslashes; you
can also use forward slashes.  You must configure the client to also
authenticate to use SMTP to send mail.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

<pwu@qantas.com.au> wrote in message
>I need some assistance as I am unable to get incoming mail.
>
> Can you help me get incoming mail to work - perhaps I have configured
> Outlook incorrectly?
>

> Please bear with me as I am just starting out with Active
> Directory/Exchange server/Outlook
> and this posting is long as I have given all the details of setup.
>

> Active Directory and Exchange was set up by someone else.
>

> Configuration
> ==========
> ISP: bigpond.com.au
> MX - mail exchange record  points to my server
> Mail account: accounts
> Domain: vh.local
> Website: www.vh.com
>

> Server
> Windows 2003 service pack 1
> Exchange Server
> Active Directory
> IP: 192.168.0.10
>

> Client
> Windows XP Professional service pack 2
> Outlook
> 192.168.0.103
>

> What I have done
> =============
> I have set up 'accounts' user in active directory and also set up a
> mailbox.
>

> I can send out outgoing mail from the client.
>

> Incoming mail to the client does not work and I get an error message
> when 'Test Account Settings' of  'unable to connect to the
> incoming mail server(POP3)'.
>

> The mailbox works OK as I can see incoming mail when I go onto Internet
>
> Explorer and to this address:
> http://192.168.0.10/exchange/accounts
>

> Setup
> ====
> Display Name: Accounts
> Email Address: accou...@vh.com
> My Incoming Mail Server is POP3
> Incoming mail server: 192.168.0.10
> Outgoing mail server: mail.bigpond.com.au
> Account Name: accounts
> Password: *****
> Remember password <- checked
> Logon secure password authentication <- unchecked
>

> Questions:
> =======
> 1. Should the incoming mail server be pop.vh.com?
> 2. Should the incoming mail server be mail.vh.com?
> 3. Should the incoming mail server be vh.com?
> 4. Should the account name be vh\accounts?
> 5. Should I click onto secure password authentication?
> 6. Are there any other tests I should run or logs I should check?
> 7. Is there anything obvious I can do to get the incoming mail to work?

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/3/2006 6:56:32 AM
Server for incoming should be "192.168.0.10", Sec Pas Auth - no, account
name should be "be vh\accounts".

I would recommend you to change Outlook setup from POP3 to "Exchange
Server" mode so that you do not have to worry about any settings, just
type in servername and username.

pwu@qantas.com.au wrote:
> I need some assistance as I am unable to get incoming mail.
>
> Can you help me get incoming mail to work - perhaps I have configured
> Outlook incorrectly?
>

> Please bear with me as I am just starting out with Active
> Directory/Exchange server/Outlook
> and this posting is long as I have given all the details of setup.
>

> Active Directory and Exchange was set up by someone else.
>

> Configuration
> ==========
> ISP: bigpond.com.au
> MX - mail exchange record  points to my server
> Mail account: accounts
> Domain: vh.local
> Website: www.vh.com
>

> Server
> Windows 2003 service pack 1
> Exchange Server
> Active Directory
> IP: 192.168.0.10
>

> Client
> Windows XP Professional service pack 2
> Outlook
> 192.168.0.103
>

> What I have done
> =============
> I have set up 'accounts' user in active directory and also set up a
> mailbox.
>

> I can send out outgoing mail from the client.
>

> Incoming mail to the client does not work and I get an error message
> when 'Test Account Settings' of  'unable to connect to the
> incoming mail server(POP3)'.
>

> The mailbox works OK as I can see incoming mail when I go onto Internet
>
> Explorer and to this address:
> http://192.168.0.10/exchange/accounts
>

> Setup
> ====
> Display Name: Accounts
> Email Address: accou...@vh.com
> My Incoming Mail Server is POP3
> Incoming mail server: 192.168.0.10
> Outgoing mail server: mail.bigpond.com.au
> Account Name: accounts
> Password: *****
> Remember password <- checked
> Logon secure password authentication <- unchecked
>

> Questions:
> =======
> 1. Should the incoming mail server be pop.vh.com?
> 2. Should the incoming mail server be mail.vh.com?
> 3. Should the incoming mail server be vh.com?
> 4. Should the account name be vh\accounts?
> 5. Should I click onto secure password authentication?
> 6. Are there any other tests I should run or logs I should check?
> 7. Is there anything obvious I can do to get the incoming mail to work?

--

Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
8/3/2006 8:34:53 AM

In news:1154586893.775447.272060@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com,
pwu@qantas.com.au <pwu@qantas.com.au> typed:
> I need some assistance as I am unable to get incoming mail.
>
> Can you help me get incoming mail to work - perhaps I have configured
> Outlook incorrectly?
>

> Please bear with me as I am just starting out with Active
> Directory/Exchange server/Outlook
> and this posting is long as I have given all the details of setup.

Hi - I replied at length in microsoft.public.exchange.outlook. Please don't
multipost - if you need to post to multiple groups, it's best to crosspost
instead, by posting a single message to a handful of relevant groups
(separate the NG names with commas) so that everyone can follow the thread,
and you aren't wasting anyone's time. See
http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm. Thanks!

<snip>

0
lanwench (7567)

CRM address book in Outlook

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Outlook Sales

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Reporting from Project Server

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

WCF Client serialization problem