NNTP threading lost when viewing posted content in Public Folders.

L.S.

The company I work for has setup a NNTP/Public Folder infrastructure to
provide both Outlook as Non-Outlook users with newsgroups.

If a Non Outlook user posts a number of messages through a default NNTP
client (Outlook Express or Thunderbird) message threading is maintained for
all other NNTP clients.

If a Outlook users opens the Public Folder in which the news group is stored
(NNTP storage location=Public Folder), threading is no longer there.

Further investigation showed that:
- The standard (NNTP) message header fields "References"and "In-Reply-To"
are present in the Outlook client.
- Outlook does not use these fields but relies on to proprietary fields
called  "Thread-Index"en "Thread-Topic" for the "by-category" view.

It looks like something happens when the propriatry fields are filled with
the contents of the "References"and "In-Reply-To" fields.

My Questions:
1. Is there a solution to this problem, or
2. Can I use the "References"and "In-Reply-To" fields for sorting in a new
outlook view, or
3. Is there any way to build a custom form that properly translates the
fields?

Help is appreciated,

Francois
0
Francois (11)

Additional info:

Exchange server 2003 / Outlook 2003

Francois
0
Francois (11)

Copying cell contents to a list
First of all - apologies if this is in the wrong group. I wasn't sure if it should be newusers (which I am) or programming (which I might need). I have inherited a lottery syndicate at work after the previous organiser retired. He kept an Excel 97 spreadsheet with 8 columns - A (Date), B to G (Winning numbers) and H (Bonus number). This list has now grown to about 800 rows as each draw's numbers are added to the bottom of the list (I will be removing about 600). I have adapted the spreadsheet to automatically check our numbers against the winning numbers (using HLOOKUP) after I have ...

Matrix view slow to open
Hi, has anyone come across the matrix view been slow to open when editing or creating new matrix items? We've recently upgraded a customer to RMS Ver 2, and they've noticed a significant lag compared to the old version. Cheers are you at SP2 level, one of the hotfixes in there helped allot? "Boggie" <Boggie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B254EEF3-3C4D-47C2-8A0C-4914A68E6D44@microsoft.com... > Hi, has anyone come across the matrix view been slow to open when editing > or > creating new matrix items? We've recently upgraded a custome...

Error: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The microsoft exchange server is unavailable"
Hi: I have a user on our exchange 2003 sp1 system who is receiving the above error when trying to connect to his mailbox. He is able to connect in OWA. I gave myself rights on his mailbox and set up a new profile on my machine (xp, office 2003) and connected fine. I then logged in as his account on my machine, set up a profile and tried to open outlook and received the error above. Any ideas. Not seeing this exact error on the microsoft site or google groups. ...

CROSS-POST (also on General)
Hi, when I right-click in the folder list to create a new sub- folder I get an error: >>>> ERROR MSG >>>> Outlook can't read the registry information - Close and restart Outlook - Reinstall Outlook - Reinstall Microsoft Exchange or other e-mail system <<<< END <<<<< we have tried everything, including re-install of Office 2000. We have run this on Windows 2000 Professional.... please help if you have an answer thanks Philip When this error occurred on a Win XP machine (running Outlook 2002), I did a System Restore to fix it. If ...

IMAP sent items rule bug (post SP2)
I recently updated outlook 2002 to SP2 and was using the newly fixed rule bug applying to sent items on an IMAP account. I realized that this rule will ONLY work IF the account is set as default. Is there a fix for this issue? I notice that this rule does not encounter the same problem in outlook 2003. ...

Public Recognition
Did you know that Glenn Adams from TiberCreek has posted over 1400 responses in this newsgroup? Jeff Hobbs from Check Point Software 1100 times. Jason Hunt from Advanced Computer Systems 250 times. Rick from Allied POS 216 times. How about some thanks to these guys for there great contributions? Rob from 2020 ITS Oh ya, I've posted aboot(in a thick Canadian accent) 635 times. * Statistics from Google Groups To add to my thoughts. Glenn and Jeff you guys need to get a life, don't you have anything better to do? ;-p hehe Rob "Rob" <roba@2020its..nospam..com> w...

System Volume Information folder
Hi Our Exchange Server 2003 SP2 is running on Windows Server 2003 SP1. Six weeks ago, the C drive has about 115GB free space. Now, it has about 15GB. This is rather unusual because the server has never consumed so much space so fast. I checked on various folders and found that the bulk of space used is in the System Volume Information folder. There are 7 files totalling 150GB. The filenames are 78{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752} to 84{3808876b-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}. The first one dated 6/5/10 (which was 5 days ago). So, the server is either running pre...

How can I delete a address contact folder
I have 3 email accounts setup in Outlook Express. I am running XP. I noticed when I go to each Address Book in OExpress, there is a Shared Contacts folder and then a 2nd folder underneath that identity title (Candice Contact's). I do not need this folder, but when I right click on it, I get message Item Cannot be deleted. I only want to have 1 contact folder in Address Book labeled Shared Contacts, but each of my 3 identies has it's own contact folder underneath shared. Anyway I can delete these? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the O...

User folder on desktop has a bad name
My name is Matteo (like User Name). Hence I had a User Folder on desktop named Matteo. Now it has a different name, but files inside are C:\Users\Matteo The wrong name is visible only on desktop How can I restore the correct name? "Allamarein" <matteo.diplomacy@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c9cd2878-a7ad-46c5-b802-a37c9d4f5b7a@d39g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > My name is Matteo (like User Name). Hence I had a User Folder on > desktop named Matteo. Now it has a different name, but files inside > are C:\Users\Matteo The wrong name is visible only on deskto...

Label a button from a cell content
Hello, Using Excel 97, is their a way to aquire the label for a button from cell on a different worksheet? :confused: Thanks in advance, Sp -- spyrul ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spyrule's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2548 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38935 ...

Public folders stuck in Public Folder Instances
I'm trying my best to finish up this migration to Exchange 2007. I couldn't figure out how to use the PFMigrate tool to move public folders from Exchange 2003 to 2007, so I Right Clicked on the 2003 Public Folder Store and chose Move All Replicas. That was over 24 hours ago. I have about 180 public folders to move. The move for most of those folders took about 6 hours. However, I have 9 folders left in Public Folder Instances on the 2003 server that have been stuck there with the same KB size for the past 18 hours. They just don't seem to want to move. I've readded repli...

slow moving larger items between folders...
hello, i'm on exchange 5.5 and there are about 20 or so fairly large mail boxes. When moving messages containing attachments between folders in my mailbox, it takes ages! It takes about a minute to move a message of about 250k. It never used to be like this. I'm fairly sure this is a recent development. Any ideas as to why this has happened and how to solve it? Thanks Batfastad ...

More about Thread
Hi! When you apply the IsBackground property on the main thread you get that main thread is not a backgroundThread. Thread newThread = new Thread(new ThreadStart(TestMethod)); If you apply IsBackground on newThread above you get that newThread is not a background Thread If you use this System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker to create a Thread and then use IsBackground you will get the answer that this Thred is a background thread. This was expected because of the Type whivh was BackgroundWorker. I wonder what is the difference between having a Thread that is a Background and ...

Viewing completed taks in outlook 2007
Is there a way of viewing all your completed tasks, the ones that are not being displayed. Once the task has been completed then this task is removed from the current view. The current view is ordered by categories, then priority and then by date. Many thanks in advance Hemant Have you tried changing the view to not filter out completed tasks or using another view. The Completed Tasks view will show those tasks "HB" <hemant.babbar@logicacmg.com> wrote in message news:1168964637.905306@ernani.logica.co.uk... > Is there a way of viewing all your completed tasks, th...

Lost attachments after upgrading Outlook
I found a solution to a problem that must surely be plaguing others: the loss of attachments when upgrading from an earlier version of Outlook to a later version (to Outlook 2000 SP1?). I'm not sure when I lost the attachments, but based on my web sleuthing it seems like it was a result of updating from 2000 to SP1. Anyway, since I couldn't find a solution on the web easily, I'm posting this in hopes that either the page will be indexed by Google or that Microsoft will post a formal fix in its Knowledgebase. Here's the solution: find Outlook Express on your compu...

Publisher 07 Default Folder
I have Publisher 2007, how do I set the startup folder to something other than "MyDocuments"? I edited the properties and set the "Start-in Directory" to the desired one, but when I launch Publisher and attempt to open a file, it goes right back to "MyDocuments" Thanks Charliec ****************************************************** Charliec Change the name of the My Documents folder Do the following in these 2007 Microsoft Office system programs: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, or Access Click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Save As. InfoPath, Project, Pub...

Export public shared folder ?
Hello All, I can use the export wizard from File menu of Outlook to export folders, but I am not shown the public shared folders to export. How can I export contents of a public shared folder in outlook ? Imran. Copy the folder contents to a mailbox folder and export from there. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Imran Aziz" <imran@bindweb.com> wrote in message news:uJSDqHB9EHA.1084@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hel...

posting values
on excel,i've been using v-lookup to get values in the same row from one column but i was wondering if it was possible to use data in 2 columns and get a value in the same row to transfer into my data sheet. I looked at every function in the program but can't seem to find the way to do that. if anyone knows how to do this, pls respond to this. thanks-lisa Lisa, VLOOKUP can match a value in the first column and return the value from any other column - and the same row as the matched value - just expand the second range to include the data that you want to have returned, and use t...

Problem of ghost unread posts?
Hi All! I'm using Outlook Express. Three times today I'm seeing unread posts reported that can't be found. Synchronizing doesn't cure the problem. When I use Edit > Mark All Read I get an OE hang up. Ctrl + Alt + Del > End Task Return to News and the ghost has gone. Anyone else? Cause? Solution? Not critical but annoying. I wonder if it's a remains of a spam that's been removed before I read it. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available fr...

Sent Messages not being saved in sent folder
Hi. When I send a message, Outlook is no longer saving it in the sent folder. It was doing this until about a month ago. It does not matter if this is a new message or a reply to an old message. Anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? Thanks Mike ...

How to change owner (From:) of a public folder, newsgroup post
How do I change the Owner or From: for a newsgroup post. This is a post in an Exchange 2003 public folder of type newsgroup. The posts in question are from a generic user account and I need to change it to the specific user. I tried by opening the post, choosing Edit menu -> Revise Contents, and changing the From: to the new person. But it would not save, and if I reposted it would keep the original user (poster) in the From: field (and of course it also changed the post to the current date/time). I have tried this method, to no avail, using the original user, and two different a...

Public folder1101 event viewer messages
We have Exchange 2000 and outlook 2000. We are getting public folder error messages - error occured on message (xxx) during a background cleanup on database first storage group/public folders. These are safe to ignore however I want to get rid of the messages so that the Exchange server event viewer is clean. How do I find which messages are faulty and how do I remove them from the public folder database. I have been told about message searching but do not know how to do it. thanks Kath On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:08:02 -0700, Kaddie <kathied@tweed.nsw.gov.au(donotspam)> wrote: >...

How do you copy a cell's content verses it's formula?
I have 2 cells and combined them into a third cell with the following formula... =a1&" "&b1. I was combining a person's first name (cell 1) with a person's second name (cell 2) so cell 3 included the first and second name. Now I want to copy and paste cell 3, but it copies the formula... I need to paste in the content (first and second name) not the formula. Hi Tammy, You could use a macro see JOIN macro on it's page http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm not what you actually asked because if would change column A with the concatenated const...

BadMail Folder #5
I recently installed Exchange Server 2003. I notice that my BadMail folder is filling up with all kinds of rejected mail from other servers that was supposedly sent from my domain, but it wasn't. Is this normal? How can I stop the mail from going into this folder? Is there a way I can just direct it to cyberspace? Thanks in advance.. FYI, http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884068 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555164 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;867642 -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Bob Becker" <bob@becker.o...

How can I convert my Archive Folder from its OL2002 style to the new OL2003 style?
Dear friends: The size of my Archive Folder is approaching 2 GB. How can I convert my Archive Folder from its OL2002 style to the new OL2003 style? I understand that the OL2003 style doesn't have the 2 GB limitation. I use Outlook 2003. Any hint? Thanks Juan I. Cahis Santiago de Chile (South America) Note: Please forgive me for my bad English, I am trying to improve it! In news:1kp8j1le66sp3j25022kl7pktvbj63hnrp@4ax.com, Juan I. Cahis <jiclbch@SINBASURAattglobal.net> typed: > Dear friends: > > The size of my Archive Folder is approaching 2 GB. > > How can I conv...