Newbie (!) Exchange 2003 push and SPV M5000 Active SYnc 4.2

~sigh~ Pulling my hair out here....

After manu years running Mercury Mail I've decided to giv MSExch a go
because I have a new SPV M5000 (QTEC 9000) which supports push email

Problem is I can't seem to get the SPV, Router port forwarding or
Exchange set up properly and Im going on holiday in 2 weeks to wantto
have it working!!!

I hate to use the prase "idiot's guide" but... maybe "Big Dummy's"
might be better

Can anyone point me to a foolproof step by step giude own what I need
to do please?

The problems at the moment revolve around the Active Synce nt being
able to locate the server (code 80072efd)

I have a static IP which points at my router, but... everything I've
read today says that the server address specified in AS ios the OWA
address which is domain.com/exchange....

I'm lost here... please advise

--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~

Can you start by detailing your setup right now?

For instance, do you have multiple Exchagne servers or a single server?  Do
you have SSL setup for OWA?  Do you have forms-based authentication enabled?
Are you port-forwarding both ports 80 and 443?  If you have SSL setup, are
you using a commercial cert, or a self-signed cert?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Tym" <no_spam@ictis.net> wrote in message
> ~sigh~ Pulling my hair out here....
>
> After manu years running Mercury Mail I've decided to giv MSExch a go
> because I have a new SPV M5000 (QTEC 9000) which supports push email
>
> Problem is I can't seem to get the SPV, Router port forwarding or
> Exchange set up properly and Im going on holiday in 2 weeks to wantto
> have it working!!!
>

> I hate to use the prase "idiot's guide" but... maybe "Big Dummy's"
> might be better
>
> Can anyone point me to a foolproof step by step giude own what I need
> to do please?
>
> The problems at the moment revolve around the Active Synce nt being
> able to locate the server (code 80072efd)
>
> I have a static IP which points at my router, but... everything I've
> read today says that the server address specified in AS ios the OWA
> address which is domain.com/exchange....
>
> I'm lost here... please advise
>
> --
>
> Tym
>
> ~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~

0
Ben
7/17/2006 3:55:32 PM
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:55:32 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
<ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:

>Can you start by detailing your setup right now?
>
>For instance, do you have multiple Exchagne servers or a single server?  Do
>you have SSL setup for OWA?  Do you have forms-based authentication enabled?
>Are you port-forwarding both ports 80 and 443?  If you have SSL setup, are
>you using a commercial cert, or a self-signed cert

Single Exchange server. ip = 192.168.x.1
ADSL Router ip = 192.168.x.100
Don't know if OWA is set up yet- i'm learning what I need to learn as
I go along. Dome enough to get the mail working from Outlook... plus
pop3 and SMPT

Forms based - don't know what this is to be honest. This is all very
new to me. May have to buya book for this!

Port forwarding:
110, 25,443

Tried before to forward port 80 on a nother routher and the whole
thing went pear shaped. Couldn't log back in to the admin screen once
port 80 was set up. I'd need to be able to configure this before I
forwarded 80 again

How do I checn SSL please?

--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:15:46 +0100, Tym <no_spam@ictis.net> wrote:

>Don't know if OWA is set up yet- i'm learning what I need to learn as
>I go along. Dome enough to get the mail working from Outlook... plus
>pop3 and SMPT

From inside the nbetwork OWA IS set up and I can access my mailbox.

From outsie - not most likely due to port 80 not being forwarded yet
--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
I wouldn't worry too much about SSL.  You'd know if you had enabled it :-)

Since you aren't port-forwarding port 80, OWA won't currently work from the
outside, and that also means that ActiveSync won't work.

If you want to give installing an SSL certificate a go, here's the basics of
what you need to do.

1.  Install a certificate on your Default Web site (on the Exchange server).
If you don't have a certificate already, it might be easier to test this by
setting up an internal certificate server and sending the cert request to
that server (i.e. self-signed cert).
2.  Install the certificate on your Orange M5000.  This could be as simple
as copying the cert to the device and then clicking on it - it largely
depends on how unlocked your device is.
3.  Make sure that OWA is working externally.  You don't need to do anything
with requiring SSL just yet - as long as the certificate is installed, SSL
will work.
4.  Once OWA (over SSL) is working externally, set up ActiveSync using the
same FQDN that you are using for OWA.  If it doesn't work at that point,
come back here with the error.

--

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 10:55:32 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
> <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:
>
>>Can you start by detailing your setup right now?
>>
>>For instance, do you have multiple Exchagne servers or a single server?
>>Do
>>you have SSL setup for OWA?  Do you have forms-based authentication
>>enabled?
>>Are you port-forwarding both ports 80 and 443?  If you have SSL setup, are
>>you using a commercial cert, or a self-signed cert
>

> Single Exchange server. ip = 192.168.x.1
> ADSL Router ip = 192.168.x.100
> Don't know if OWA is set up yet- i'm learning what I need to learn as
> I go along. Dome enough to get the mail working from Outlook... plus
> pop3 and SMPT
>
> Forms based - don't know what this is to be honest. This is all very
> new to me. May have to buya book for this!
>
> Port forwarding:
> 110, 25,443
>
> Tried before to forward port 80 on a nother routher and the whole
> thing went pear shaped. Couldn't log back in to the admin screen once
> port 80 was set up. I'd need to be able to configure this before I
> forwarded 80 again
>
> How do I checn SSL please?
>
> --
>
> Tym
>
> ~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~

0
Ben
7/17/2006 4:38:02 PM
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:38:02 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
<ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:

>Since you aren't port-forwarding port 80, OWA won't currently work from the
>outside, and that also means that ActiveSync won't work.

Thank you very much for your post - very good - my only worry is port
forwarding 80. Last time I did it I killed my router.. I was never
able to administer it again. Currently if I type in the IP address of
my router I get the admin page. If I portforard 80 to the server, I
get the IIS page and cannot get back to the router admin page.

Is there a way to make 192.168.x.100 point to the router and not be
forwarded?

Sorry for what may seem a very basic question but I'm quite new to all
this networking lark!

--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:38:02 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
<ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:

>1.  Install a certificate on your Default Web site (on the Exchange server).
>If you don't have a certificate already, it might be easier to test this by
>setting up an internal certificate server and sending the cert request to
>that server (i.e. self-signed cert).

Erm.. what? ~LOL~ certificate?
--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
Typically, when you have a router/firewall on the Internet, it will have 2
separate ports.  One is a WAN port, that has an external IP assigned to it.
The other is a LAN port, that has an internal IP.  If the port-forwarding is
taking place on the external interface (which it usually is), then it
shouldn't affect administration of your router using the internal interface.

It may be that your router isn't advanced enough to differentiate between
them, and so can only port-forward ALL traffic.  If so, you are left with
the option of deploying an SSL certificate.

--

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:38:02 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
> <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:
>
>>Since you aren't port-forwarding port 80, OWA won't currently work from
>>the
>>outside, and that also means that ActiveSync won't work.
>
> Thank you very much for your post - very good - my only worry is port
> forwarding 80. Last time I did it I killed my router.. I was never
> able to administer it again. Currently if I type in the IP address of
> my router I get the admin page. If I portforard 80 to the server, I
> get the IIS page and cannot get back to the router admin page.
>
> Is there a way to make 192.168.x.100 point to the router and not be
> forwarded?
>
> Sorry for what may seem a very basic question but I'm quite new to all
> this networking lark!
>
> --
>
> Tym
>
> ~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~

0
Ben
7/17/2006 6:04:26 PM
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:04:26 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
<ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:

>Typically, when you have a router/firewall on the Internet, it will have 2
>separate ports.  One is a WAN port, that has an external IP assigned to it.
>The other is a LAN port, that has an internal IP.  If the port-forwarding is
>taking place on the external interface (which it usually is), then it
>shouldn't affect administration of your router using the internal interface.
>
>It may be that your router isn't advanced enough to differentiate between
>them, and so can only port-forward ALL traffic.  If so, you are left with
>the option of deploying an SSL certificate

Thanks Ben - I'll look into that

--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
"Tym" <no_spam@ictis.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:38:02 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
> <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:
>
>>Since you aren't port-forwarding port 80, OWA won't currently work from
>>the
>>outside, and that also means that ActiveSync won't work.
>
> Thank you very much for your post - very good - my only worry is port
> forwarding 80. Last time I did it I killed my router.. I was never
> able to administer it again. Currently if I type in the IP address of
> my router I get the admin page. If I portforard 80 to the server, I
> get the IIS page and cannot get back to the router admin page.
>
> Is there a way to make 192.168.x.100 point to the router and not be
> forwarded?
>
> Sorry for what may seem a very basic question but I'm quite new to all
> this networking lark!

Forget about port 80. If you get SSL working with a certificate you only
need port 443.

0
gerritjan (49)
7/17/2006 7:49:57 PM
On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:49:57 +0200, "Gerritjan" <gerritjan@gmx.net>
wrote:

>Forget about port 80. If you get SSL working with a certificate you only
>need port 443.

That may make life easier from my point - please advise further - is
there an online guide to setting this up?

--

Tym

~There's no place like 127.0.0.1~
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 21:49:57 +0200, "Gerritjan" <gerritjan@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Forget about port 80. If you get SSL working with a certificate you only
>>need port 443.
>>

> That may make life easier from my point - please advise further - is
> there an online guide to setting this up?

I don't think there is. I had to do a lot of reading to figure it all out.
Try and find more information, these are the basic steps that worked for me:

- install exchange with SP2 (can also be SBS2003 with exchange included)
- make sure there's an A-record pointing to the external ip of your router
- make your own root-certificate for the A-record or buy one
- forward port 443 to your server's internal ip

- test OWA with a normal PC: https://your.a-record.ext/exchange , the SSL
certificate should pop-up
- install the certificate on the PC, if this works correctly there's no more
pop-up if you go to https://your.a-record.ext/exchange
- Now try https://your.a-record.ext/oma , this will show a basic Exchange
enviroment.
- Now export the SSL-certificate from the PC you already installed it on and
install it on your PDA
- make the PDA sync with your.a-record.ext with the proper name and
password....... that should be it.

0
gerritjan (49)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Linking files 2 ways

AD Sync problem

Count If Formula #4

More Columns #2

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Contacts in Exchange #2

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Columns #4
My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Hi Me! I'm just guessing what you mean. Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D9050B-079C-476D-B5B6-84445F60EA51@microsoft.com... > My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Another gue...

Goal Seek #2

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Installing Active Directory connector?
We are installing a 2003 exchange on a 2003 server in a 2000 domain. We also have a 5.5 sp4 machine running on 2000 sp 4, and once 2003 is installed, we are going to move the mail boxes from the 5.5 machine. My question is, do we have to install the active directory connector on the 2000 Domain server, or could we install it on the 2003 server? eotrue wrote: > We are installing a 2003 exchange on a 2003 server in a > 2000 domain. We also have a 5.5 sp4 machine running on > 2000 sp 4, and once 2003 is installed, we are going to > move the mail boxes from the 5.5 machine. My q...

Are Exchange 2003 OWA Backups necessary