New mail in Outlook / Exchange

I have a newly built Windows 2K server with ISA 2K and Exchange 2K on the
same box. First I tried using the Server Publishing Rules - Publish a Server
wizard to add the Exchange server to ISA. I could recieve mail but not send.
I then used the Publishing - Secure Mail Server wizard which created several
IP Packet Filter rules. I can now send and recieve...but the Outlook clients
will only register that new mail is there if I do something else that
connects to Exchange...like create a new message or open the calendar. Even
doing a manual send/recieve doesn't work. Any ideas?

0
No9924 (17)

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:47:37 GMT, "JT" <no@email.net> wrote:

>I have a newly built Windows 2K server with ISA 2K and Exchange 2K on the
>same box. First I tried using the Server Publishing Rules - Publish a Server
>wizard to add the Exchange server to ISA. I could recieve mail but not send.
>I then used the Publishing - Secure Mail Server wizard which created several
>IP Packet Filter rules. I can now send and recieve...but the Outlook clients
>will only register that new mail is there if I do something else that
>connects to Exchange...like create a new message or open the calendar. Even
>doing a manual send/recieve doesn't work. Any ideas?

This sounds like a worry. Are you trying tyo use Outlook over the
Internet with Exchange 2000?
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/24/2005 7:09:33 AM
Nope, using Outlook on the internal network.

> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:47:37 GMT, "JT" <no@email.net> wrote:
>
>>I have a newly built Windows 2K server with ISA 2K and Exchange 2K on the
>>same box. First I tried using the Server Publishing Rules - Publish a
>>Server
>>wizard to add the Exchange server to ISA. I could recieve mail but not
>>send.
>>I then used the Publishing - Secure Mail Server wizard which created
>>several
>>IP Packet Filter rules. I can now send and recieve...but the Outlook
>>clients
>>will only register that new mail is there if I do something else that
>>connects to Exchange...like create a new message or open the calendar.
>>Even
>>doing a manual send/recieve doesn't work. Any ideas?
>>

> This sounds like a worry. Are you trying tyo use Outlook over the
> Internet with Exchange 2000?

0
No9924 (17)
4/24/2005 2:01:04 PM
All set now. Created an LDT entry for the domain and opened up the internal
adapter for UDP. Works fine.

Thanks!

"JT" <no@email.net> wrote in message
> Nope, using Outlook on the internal network.
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <mark@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 02:47:37 GMT, "JT" <no@email.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a newly built Windows 2K server with ISA 2K and Exchange 2K on the
>>>same box. First I tried using the Server Publishing Rules - Publish a
>>>Server
>>>wizard to add the Exchange server to ISA. I could recieve mail but not
>>>send.
>>>I then used the Publishing - Secure Mail Server wizard which created
>>>several
>>>IP Packet Filter rules. I can now send and recieve...but the Outlook
>>>clients
>>>will only register that new mail is there if I do something else that
>>>connects to Exchange...like create a new message or open the calendar.
>>>Even
>>>doing a manual send/recieve doesn't work. Any ideas?
>>>

>> This sounds like a worry. Are you trying tyo use Outlook over the
>> Internet with Exchange 2000?

0
No9924 (17)
4/24/2005 2:27:15 PM
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 14:27:15 GMT, "JT" <no@email.net> wrote:

>All set now. Created an LDT entry for the domain and opened up the internal
>adapter for UDP. Works fine.
>
>Thanks!

I take it you read between the lines and reckoned the ISA security was
getting in the way?
Any reason you're using Exchaneg behind ISA on the internal network?

0
mark7219 (5666)