New Disk storage - Change drive letters

Hi,

I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
is accessible as shared disk storage.

But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
SAN storage

Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
data storage.

I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
option would be more difficult.
Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
may offer a better rollback solution.

Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
they have

Thanks for any help

Mark

0
mark564 (750)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:01 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
>node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
>is accessible as shared disk storage.

Is this an existing cluster that has got a new SAN connected and new
shared storage configured as a resource or is this a standalone
service you want to convert to a cluster?

>But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
>currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
>moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
>Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
>1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
>2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
>SAN storage

Use ESM yes, but just change the directory locations and automatically
move the databases
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q257184 is of
help here.

>Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
>1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
>2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
>3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
>4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
>attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
>5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
>data storage.

That doesn't actually make any practical sense so it's best to
disregard this one.

>I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
>(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
>option would be more difficult.
>Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
>may offer a better rollback solution.
>
>Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
>they have
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Mark

What worries me is your description of the SAN and the clustering. Can
you confirm that the Cluster is pre-existing and you have simply added
a new SAN to the existing fabric and are simply seeing the new SAN as
a valid drive letter?

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 6:59:41 PM
Sorry for the confusion, thanks for quick reply

It is currently running as a two node Active/Passive cluster on W2k3 ent
edition.  The two nodes currently see shared disk storage hosted on the
PowerVault system, this is connected to the MSCS cluster as drive S:
The customer has now purchased a larger more capable SAN system (complete
Fabric) and has already attached this to the cluster and is available to the
MSCS cluster as a different drive letter, so yes in effect the new SAN is
seen simply as a new drive letter.

Basically I've been asked to provide the following
1. Migrate data storage onto new SAN storage drives (from DAS (Powervault)
onto SAN (EMC))
2. Which tools we will use (ESM?)
3. Rollback procedures
4. Acceptance test plan

Basically was asking questions on 2 & 3 above, the main reason I had
mentioned option 2 below was because I thought it may offer a rollback plan.
The only rollback plan I can think of for using ESM (i'm familiar with this)
was by using Exmerge and re-importing, but not much else.  Never had a
problem with usiong ESM for this but the customer wants a rollback.

Ta

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:01 -0800, "mark"
> <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
> >node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
> >is accessible as shared disk storage.
>
> Is this an existing cluster that has got a new SAN connected and new
> shared storage configured as a resource or is this a standalone
> service you want to convert to a cluster?
>

> >But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
> >currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
> >moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
> >Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
> >1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
> >2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
> >SAN storage
>
> Use ESM yes, but just change the directory locations and automatically
> move the databases
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q257184 is of
> help here.
>

> >Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
> >1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
> >2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
> >3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
> >4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
> >attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
> >5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
> >data storage.
>
> That doesn't actually make any practical sense so it's best to
> disregard this one.
> >
> >I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
> >(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
> >option would be more difficult.
> >Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
> >may offer a better rollback solution.
> >
> >Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
> >they have
> >
> >Thanks for any help
> >
> >Mark
>
> What worries me is your description of the SAN and the clustering. Can
> you confirm that the Cluster is pre-existing and you have simply added
> a new SAN to the existing fabric and are simply seeing the new SAN as
> a valid drive letter?

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 7:27:02 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:27:02 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the confusion, thanks for quick reply
>
>It is currently running as a two node Active/Passive cluster on W2k3 ent
>edition.  The two nodes currently see shared disk storage hosted on the
>PowerVault system, this is connected to the MSCS cluster as drive S:
>The customer has now purchased a larger more capable SAN system (complete
>Fabric) and has already attached this to the cluster and is available to the
>MSCS cluster as a different drive letter, so yes in effect the new SAN is
>seen simply as a new drive letter.
>
>Basically I've been asked to provide the following
>1. Migrate data storage onto new SAN storage drives (from DAS (Powervault)
>onto SAN (EMC))
>2. Which tools we will use (ESM?)
>3. Rollback procedures
>4. Acceptance test plan
>
>Basically was asking questions on 2 & 3 above, the main reason I had
>mentioned option 2 below was because I thought it may offer a rollback plan.
>The only rollback plan I can think of for using ESM (i'm familiar with this)
>was by using Exmerge and re-importing, but not much else.  Never had a
>problem with usiong ESM for this but the customer wants a rollback.
>
>Ta

OK, so the answer is indeed a simple mail store move process from
drive letter to drive letter. It is utterly irrelevant to the cluster
that the two drive letters are on different SANs. Exchange doesn't
know about SANs, it knows about drives and volumes.

Exchange does a copy of the database files and only if it is happy
that it can mount the stores will it delete the files from the source
directory. That's the rollback.

As for an acceptance test plan, I think you need to get your customers
head out of the Prince2 manual on this one. database dismounted,
database moved, database mounted, Kettle activated.

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 7:49:03 PM
Like your viewpoint on the kettle I'll have to see what I can do on that one,
as a matter of interest, would the other option be feasible?

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> OK, so the answer is indeed a simple mail store move process from
> drive letter to drive letter. It is utterly irrelevant to the cluster
> that the two drive letters are on different SANs. Exchange doesn't
> know about SANs, it knows about drives and volumes.
>
> Exchange does a copy of the database files and only if it is happy
> that it can mount the stores will it delete the files from the source
> directory. That's the rollback.
>
> As for an acceptance test plan, I think you need to get your customers
> head out of the Prince2 manual on this one. database dismounted,
> database moved, database mounted, Kettle activated.

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 8:05:03 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:05:03 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Like your viewpoint on the kettle I'll have to see what I can do on that one,
>as a matter of interest, would the other option be feasible?

Option two is not really viable  because it destroys Single Instance
Storage if you ever decided you wanted to restore from PST files.

If you really, really want to take a copy of the email then do a
backup and restore into a Recovery Storage Group. This will prove the
backup as valid. You could even leave the RSG  mounted in case the
main move of the primary store (how many have you got btw and are all
the execs in the same one?) goes pear shaped.
0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 8:22:51 PM
12 databases, four storage groups (logs and databases all on same drive) and
yes the execs are on the same one but like the idea of the recovery storage
group.

Will be fun

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:05:03 -0800, "mark"
> <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Option two is not really viable  because it destroys Single Instance
> Storage if you ever decided you wanted to restore from PST files.
>
> If you really, really want to take a copy of the email then do a
> backup and restore into a Recovery Storage Group. This will prove the
> backup as valid. You could even leave the RSG  mounted in case the
> main move of the primary store (how many have you got btw and are all
> the execs in the same one?) goes pear shaped.

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 8:41:04 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:41:04 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>12 databases, four storage groups (logs and databases all on same drive) and
>yes the execs are on the same one but like the idea of the recovery storage
>group.
>
>Will be fun

Create a test one and stuff it full of a few gigs of mail (exmerge a
few gash PST files into it) and then do the move as a concept test.
Take the screenshots. Non IT literate clients love screenshots and
stuff like that.
0
mark7219 (5666)

Money Changes Transaction Dates
Hi all, How can I stop Money2004 from changing my transaction dates that I have already entered into the register? This happens when I accept/match downloaded transactions from my bank. Thanks! Well, I think I just answered my own question. I found a check box to untick under online options to fix this, but I will post back if necessary. "rustyfender04" <rustyfender1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eY3zaLITHHA.2124@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > How can I stop Money2004 from changing my transaction dates that I have > already entered into t...

Copy and Paste not saving format changes
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Hi, I just bought Microsoft Office for Mac early this month and am still getting used to it. Can someone help me with this: I have several documents typed onto a notebook layout with lots of bullet points, color changes, cross outs and the like. I wanted to copy and past all of that into a new document but when I did ALL of the formatting changes were lost. There were no bullet points, so the text flushed left, yada, yada, yada. I looked around the toolbar to try and find a setting that would allow me to do the cut an...

Outlook 2000 Change Startup Page
Have a problem with Outlook 2000, think it happened when I ran repair. Now everytime I open Outlook the "Outlook Today" page opens, then have to select the inbox folde to view my mail. Used to always open on the Inbox Folder. What have I done, is there a way to restore this. You’ve landed in a Macintosh group, sorry. Try asking your question on the general Office newsgroups. Start here: http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx DooBee wrote: > Have a problem with Outlook 2000, think it happened when I ran repair. Now > everytime I open Outlook the...

Outlook 2003 offline caching changes
There has been a change in the default behavior of Outlook from version 2000 to 2003 with regard to how the offline cache responds when you have previously synchronized the cache, and then reconnect online (in our situation, it's particularly relevant when connecting over a phone line rather than over a broadband or network connection). We're wondering if there's a way to turn back the clock.. In Outlook 2000, you would connect to the online mailbox, and would view all the headers of all the messages in your Inbox, Deleted Items, etc. (you still had to wait for the head...

recording changes
I have a field called "TimeStamp" What I would like is that if someone modifiys or make any change in the form that the "TimeStamp" will record the time and date of change. How can this be achieved? sandrao In an event procedure in the form's AfterUpdate event, you could do something like: Me!txtYourTimeStampField = Now() Note that if you use the BeforeUpdate event, every time your code changes the value of this field, the form tries to update, the BeforeUpdate (re-)triggers, and you "loop up" (at least, it seems to me I've seen this...)...

Changing Paper Size
We print a monthly newsletter which includes a pullout insert. This month we want to turn this pullout into a foldable brochure. Before I send it off to the printer (who prints our newsletter to 11X17 glossy paper), I want to make sure the pullout, when folded, displays the information correctly (not upside down or out of sequence). We print to a photocopier that users 11X17 size paper. I cannot figure out a way to print two successive pages (8.5 X 11 each) to one sheet of 11X17 paper (ie., pages 2 and 4 to one sheet of paper). I tried doing this by changing the printer options to 11X17 b...

Changing source links in powerpoint
I currently have a powerpoint with source links to other powerpoint slides. These source links are currently internet address based links. I'm trying to change these current internet addresses to new internet addresses and each time I try I receive the error message: "You cannot use an internet address here. Enter a path that points to a location on your computer or on the network". I've been able to change the source links in the past and only began to encounter this problem around mid December. Does anyone know how to correct this or explain why I can no ...

Changing Costs in Detailed Sales Report
I just opened a new location and I have specified my costs in HQ Mgr under Supplier Tab in Item properties. And I also checked the Supplier tab in Item properties in the Store Ops Mgr, my cost is there. But when I ran a Detailed Sales report for yesterday, some of my items' costs are missing and listed as $0.00. So I open HQ Mgr and issued Worksheet 302 for the new location. I did a couple of test transactions today and ran a Detailed Sales report for today, and it shows the costs of the the test trasactions. But detailed sales report for yesterday still shows $0.00 costs. How do...

Changing to Combination-chart from existing chart
I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the same chart. How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform them to bars? Regards Jan Hi Jan, Right click a line series that you wish to change. From the popup menu select Chart type and pick bar. Cheers Andy Jan wrote: > I have made a Line-chart containing 8 different series. I > now want to change 2 of the series to Bars, but in the > same chart. > > How do I proceed to pick the wanted series and transform > them to bars? > > Reg...

Change from MS Outlook Rich Text to HTML
I use Outlook 98 and I want to change my message format to HTML so that I can have nice backgrounds etc on my mail. For some reason this facility doesn't seem to be available to me on the 'Mail Format' Tab. It is blacked out and I cannot change it from Rich Text to HTML. Is there anything I can do to sort this out? Could it be because I am on a network at work and they have disabled it? If so, how can I enable it? Cheers! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www...

Saving html message as Draft changes text formatting...
WIN XP HE, OL 2002 Hi, I have recently noticed that whenever I write an email (using Word as editor) in html format, and instead of sending it, save it (to the drafts folder), the text itself changes format from my default to another one. It seems to change in the paragraph style which then changes the text format. The only change I recently made was to edit my signatures in html, rtf and plain text format. When I write a new email, it opens up with the signature already in it and perhaps there are format/style conflicts..? Tx for shedding some light into this. S As an added information, t...

PUZZLED
Dear All, I was never any good with maths and this just puzzles me! I have date starting from 100 down column B with the date in column A. The last number is 117.50. I make this an increase of 17.5%....however each day it may have moved down 1% or up 2%. When I summate all the daily percentage changes I was expecting to see 17.5% however I can see around 20%. The formulas are all correct but I really need to know how to work out the daily percentage change AND the cumulative percentage change from 100. I hope someone can assist me. S rounding? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel Sal...

how do i change the default value of measure from points to inche.
how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when setting the width and hight of cells? You don't. Excel uses only points for these measures best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "yoyo4u" <yoyo4u@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33420157-6E05-4A55-9003-088D731E495E@microsoft.com... > how do i change the default value of measure from points to inches when > setting the width and hight of cells? yoyo Row heights are measured in points. There are 72 points to an inch. Th...

change exist chart to be dynamic
Hi all How can I change an existing chart to be dynamic? In series I saw a name in y axis only but no name of x axis. How can I create a series for x axis? Thanks in advance Daniel You need to understand how dynamic charts work. There are tutorials and links to more on this page: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF77A61A-58A9-4629-90E1-20742E6...

Change Backcolor for the selected line
I would like to be able to highlight or change the color of a single line on a subform formated as a continuous form. The user selects one line from many possible lines on a continuous form to respond to. When he selects the line another pop-up form is display which the user must complete. I would like to maintain some kind of highlight (backcolor?) so that the user can clearly see which line he is reponding to. Setting the backcolor after selecting a line sets the back color for the entire form, which really defeats the purpose. Any help? -- Message posted via AccessMons...

create a boot disk when I have no floppy drive?
I have the XP Upgrade CD. How do I create a boot disk when I have no floppy drive? Thanks for any help. "Bob Tyrka" <rtyrka@cavtel.net> wrote in message news:PPedndBCv5CT7ZjWnZ2dnUVZ_gqdnZ2d@cavtel.net... > I have the XP Upgrade CD. How do I create a boot disk when I have no > floppy drive? > > Thanks for any help. > What do you need a floppy for? The XP CD is bootable in it's own right... "Bob Tyrka" wrote: > I have the XP Upgrade CD. How do I create a boot disk when I have no floppy > drive? > ...

New Sheets obtaining data
HI I have a workbook that we keep financial data in. Every day the daily sales are entered into the current week. I have a template sheet that I copy every week and have to input the lookup for the previous week... example... In the newly created sheet week22 B:31 has " =week21!H31+B29".....this just addes some variances that need to be calculated. Each week I have to type this in for the new sheet adjusting for the new week. I was wondering if there was a way to have a template that would do this but advance the week each time automatically. New week 23 would be copied and it...

How do you change a field name in 2002 Excel
I have copied and pasted a whole database from Works into the Excel program but can't seem to find a way to change the field names from A, B, C, to what I want as Last Names, First Names, etc. Aarrrrgh. It can't be THAT difficult! <G> Using the HELP did nothing for me thus I am here asking this silly Q. AnnE in MN You cannot change the Column letters from A, B, C etc. You can choose to have column and row headers not shown under Tools>Options>View Enter your titles(names) in row 1 then select A2 and Window>Freeze Panes to lock row 1 in view. Gord Di...

MFC get drive information
Dear all, How to get drive information of my computer? I want to get available driver letters and the corresponding disk space information. Thanks! Best Regards, Crystal Use GetLogicalDrives() to get drive informatio. Use GetDiskFreeSpace(... to get drive space. Sekhar Hyderabad. "Crystal" wrote: > Dear all, > > How to get drive information of my computer? > > I want to get available driver letters and the corresponding disk space > information. > > Thanks! > > Best Regards, > Crystal > > > > > You can use cha...

How to change the color of CComboBoxEx
I have derived my class from CComboBoxEx and I change the colors (SetBkColor and SetTextColor) in OnCtlColor() in response to CTLCOLOR_EDIT and CTLCOLOR_LISTBOX; I also return my brush; As a result the colors of the edit part of the combo do change but in the listbox only the space around the text is painted. The text itself and its backgound remain as the Windows defaults. "David A. Mair" <mairda@hotrmail.com> wrote in message news:<ObKF5Q#bDHA.2632@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>... > I have it working OK, here's my CColorComboBox::OnCtlColor(): > > HBRUSH CColorCo...

endnotes on new page
Is there a way to put all the endnotes together on a new page? I've tried inserting a page break in the endnote separator and tried setting the endnote separator to start on a new page, but those methods didn't work. Thanks. -- ~ Janet Insert a page break before the endnote separator. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Janet S" <JanetS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C...

Changing Primary Attribute after creation
I cannot seem to find a way to change any aspect of the primary attribute after creation. Is this the case? It is very hard to work with. I cannot even change the requirement level after creation. This is very diffcult to work with. There's no way to change the primary attribute after creation, so define it carefully when creating a new entity. A big problem is that it's somewhat hidden on the second tab in the entity creation form and it's very easy to forget about it. Anyway, before creating a new entity, you should write down the settings that are not changeable la...

How to let OWA users to change their password ?
How to let OWA users to change their password ? On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 01:58:03 -0800, "Enid" <Enid@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to let OWA users to change their password ? There are quite a few steps but if you follow this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297121 carefuly, you'll be ok. Thanks for your information. Follow the document to enable the change password funcation, but got error when using IE6 w/ SP2 to do change password "error number : 5". It is so tricky if using FireFox, the password change is work. Any suggesti...

Change from SBS 2003 to SBS 2003 R2
Does anyone know if the license from Windows SBS 2003 works on R2 Edition? Here's my situation: I have an old server running Win SBS 2003. This is a new client and i just found the installation to be all screwed up (they are not even using Exchange, the domain is not .local, I cant find the SBS management panel, etc ) and barring any magic solution that allows me to improve on the current install, what i really want is to start from scratch, probably on different hardware (new server). So I whas thinking to my buttons: During reinstallation, can I now use the latest ver...

Changes Since Moving to Exchange
Hi there; I have subfolders within the inbox, and then subfolders within the subfolders. I also have rules so that when a message comes in from a certain person the message goes into their folder. Before we moved to our new exchange server if someone sent a message and the message went to their folder, the number of unread emails in the folder changes (ie, if Joe Bloggs sends an email to me his message goes to the Joe Bloggs folder, and it looks like Joe Bloggs (1)). And the folder that the 'Joe Bloggs' is in (for this example it could be 'staff') would also...