New Disk storage - Change drive letters

Hi,

I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
is accessible as shared disk storage.

But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
SAN storage

Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
data storage.

I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
option would be more difficult.
Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
may offer a better rollback solution.

Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
they have

Thanks for any help

Mark

0
mark564 (750)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:01 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
>node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
>is accessible as shared disk storage.

Is this an existing cluster that has got a new SAN connected and new
shared storage configured as a resource or is this a standalone
service you want to convert to a cluster?

>But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
>currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
>moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
>Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
>1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
>2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
>SAN storage

Use ESM yes, but just change the directory locations and automatically
move the databases
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q257184 is of
help here.

>Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
>1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
>2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
>3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
>4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
>attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
>5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
>data storage.

That doesn't actually make any practical sense so it's best to
disregard this one.

>I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
>(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
>option would be more difficult.
>Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
>may offer a better rollback solution.
>
>Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
>they have
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Mark

What worries me is your description of the SAN and the clustering. Can
you confirm that the Cluster is pre-existing and you have simply added
a new SAN to the existing fabric and are simply seeing the new SAN as
a valid drive letter?

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 6:59:41 PM
Sorry for the confusion, thanks for quick reply

It is currently running as a two node Active/Passive cluster on W2k3 ent
edition.  The two nodes currently see shared disk storage hosted on the
PowerVault system, this is connected to the MSCS cluster as drive S:
The customer has now purchased a larger more capable SAN system (complete
Fabric) and has already attached this to the cluster and is available to the
MSCS cluster as a different drive letter, so yes in effect the new SAN is
seen simply as a new drive letter.

Basically I've been asked to provide the following
1. Migrate data storage onto new SAN storage drives (from DAS (Powervault)
onto SAN (EMC))
2. Which tools we will use (ESM?)
3. Rollback procedures
4. Acceptance test plan

Basically was asking questions on 2 & 3 above, the main reason I had
mentioned option 2 below was because I thought it may offer a rollback plan.
The only rollback plan I can think of for using ESM (i'm familiar with this)
was by using Exmerge and re-importing, but not much else.  Never had a
problem with usiong ESM for this but the customer wants a rollback.

Ta

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:01 -0800, "mark"
> <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
> >node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
> >is accessible as shared disk storage.
>
> Is this an existing cluster that has got a new SAN connected and new
> shared storage configured as a resource or is this a standalone
> service you want to convert to a cluster?
>

> >But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
> >currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
> >moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
> >Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
> >1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
> >2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
> >SAN storage
>
> Use ESM yes, but just change the directory locations and automatically
> move the databases
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q257184 is of
> help here.
>

> >Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
> >1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
> >2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
> >3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
> >4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
> >attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
> >5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
> >data storage.
>
> That doesn't actually make any practical sense so it's best to
> disregard this one.
> >
> >I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
> >(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
> >option would be more difficult.
> >Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
> >may offer a better rollback solution.
> >
> >Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
> >they have
> >
> >Thanks for any help
> >
> >Mark
>
> What worries me is your description of the SAN and the clustering. Can
> you confirm that the Cluster is pre-existing and you have simply added
> a new SAN to the existing fabric and are simply seeing the new SAN as
> a valid drive letter?

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 7:27:02 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:27:02 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the confusion, thanks for quick reply
>
>It is currently running as a two node Active/Passive cluster on W2k3 ent
>edition.  The two nodes currently see shared disk storage hosted on the
>PowerVault system, this is connected to the MSCS cluster as drive S:
>The customer has now purchased a larger more capable SAN system (complete
>Fabric) and has already attached this to the cluster and is available to the
>MSCS cluster as a different drive letter, so yes in effect the new SAN is
>seen simply as a new drive letter.
>
>Basically I've been asked to provide the following
>1. Migrate data storage onto new SAN storage drives (from DAS (Powervault)
>onto SAN (EMC))
>2. Which tools we will use (ESM?)
>3. Rollback procedures
>4. Acceptance test plan
>
>Basically was asking questions on 2 & 3 above, the main reason I had
>mentioned option 2 below was because I thought it may offer a rollback plan.
>The only rollback plan I can think of for using ESM (i'm familiar with this)
>was by using Exmerge and re-importing, but not much else.  Never had a
>problem with usiong ESM for this but the customer wants a rollback.
>
>Ta

OK, so the answer is indeed a simple mail store move process from
drive letter to drive letter. It is utterly irrelevant to the cluster
that the two drive letters are on different SANs. Exchange doesn't
know about SANs, it knows about drives and volumes.

Exchange does a copy of the database files and only if it is happy
that it can mount the stores will it delete the files from the source
directory. That's the rollback.

As for an acceptance test plan, I think you need to get your customers
head out of the Prince2 manual on this one. database dismounted,
database moved, database mounted, Kettle activated.

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 7:49:03 PM
Like your viewpoint on the kettle I'll have to see what I can do on that one,
as a matter of interest, would the other option be feasible?

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> OK, so the answer is indeed a simple mail store move process from
> drive letter to drive letter. It is utterly irrelevant to the cluster
> that the two drive letters are on different SANs. Exchange doesn't
> know about SANs, it knows about drives and volumes.
>
> Exchange does a copy of the database files and only if it is happy
> that it can mount the stores will it delete the files from the source
> directory. That's the rollback.
>
> As for an acceptance test plan, I think you need to get your customers
> head out of the Prince2 manual on this one. database dismounted,
> database moved, database mounted, Kettle activated.

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 8:05:03 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:05:03 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Like your viewpoint on the kettle I'll have to see what I can do on that one,
>as a matter of interest, would the other option be feasible?

Option two is not really viable  because it destroys Single Instance
Storage if you ever decided you wanted to restore from PST files.

If you really, really want to take a copy of the email then do a
backup and restore into a Recovery Storage Group. This will prove the
backup as valid. You could even leave the RSG  mounted in case the
main move of the primary store (how many have you got btw and are all
the execs in the same one?) goes pear shaped.
0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 8:22:51 PM
12 databases, four storage groups (logs and databases all on same drive) and
yes the execs are on the same one but like the idea of the recovery storage
group.

Will be fun

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:05:03 -0800, "mark"
> <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Option two is not really viable  because it destroys Single Instance
> Storage if you ever decided you wanted to restore from PST files.
>
> If you really, really want to take a copy of the email then do a
> backup and restore into a Recovery Storage Group. This will prove the
> backup as valid. You could even leave the RSG  mounted in case the
> main move of the primary store (how many have you got btw and are all
> the execs in the same one?) goes pear shaped.

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 8:41:04 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:41:04 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>12 databases, four storage groups (logs and databases all on same drive) and
>yes the execs are on the same one but like the idea of the recovery storage
>group.
>
>Will be fun

Create a test one and stuff it full of a few gigs of mail (exmerge a
few gash PST files into it) and then do the move as a concept test.
Take the screenshots. Non IT literate clients love screenshots and
stuff like that.
0
mark7219 (5666)