New Disk storage - Change drive letters

Hi,

I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
is accessible as shared disk storage.

But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
SAN storage

Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
data storage.

I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
option would be more difficult.
Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
may offer a better rollback solution.

Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
they have

Thanks for any help

Mark

0
mark564 (750)

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:01 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
>node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
>is accessible as shared disk storage.

Is this an existing cluster that has got a new SAN connected and new
shared storage configured as a resource or is this a standalone
service you want to convert to a cluster?

>But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
>currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
>moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
>Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
>1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
>2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
>SAN storage

Use ESM yes, but just change the directory locations and automatically
move the databases
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q257184 is of
help here.

>Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
>1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
>2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
>3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
>4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
>attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
>5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
>data storage.

That doesn't actually make any practical sense so it's best to
disregard this one.

>I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
>(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
>option would be more difficult.
>Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
>may offer a better rollback solution.
>
>Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
>they have
>
>Thanks for any help
>
>Mark

What worries me is your description of the SAN and the clustering. Can
you confirm that the Cluster is pre-existing and you have simply added
a new SAN to the existing fabric and are simply seeing the new SAN as
a valid drive letter?

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 6:59:41 PM
Sorry for the confusion, thanks for quick reply

It is currently running as a two node Active/Passive cluster on W2k3 ent
edition.  The two nodes currently see shared disk storage hosted on the
PowerVault system, this is connected to the MSCS cluster as drive S:
The customer has now purchased a larger more capable SAN system (complete
Fabric) and has already attached this to the cluster and is available to the
MSCS cluster as a different drive letter, so yes in effect the new SAN is
seen simply as a new drive letter.

Basically I've been asked to provide the following
1. Migrate data storage onto new SAN storage drives (from DAS (Powervault)
onto SAN (EMC))
2. Which tools we will use (ESM?)
3. Rollback procedures
4. Acceptance test plan

Basically was asking questions on 2 & 3 above, the main reason I had
mentioned option 2 below was because I thought it may offer a rollback plan.
The only rollback plan I can think of for using ESM (i'm familiar with this)
was by using Exmerge and re-importing, but not much else.  Never had a
problem with usiong ESM for this but the customer wants a rollback.

Ta

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 10:45:01 -0800, "mark"
> <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I'm planning on adding a new SAN to our Exchange system (Active/Passive 2
> >node cluster) and this has been connected to the Exchange cluster nodes and
> >is accessible as shared disk storage.
>
> Is this an existing cluster that has got a new SAN connected and new
> shared storage configured as a resource or is this a standalone
> service you want to convert to a cluster?
>

> >But that isn't the question I've got, basically the mail stores are
> >currently located on a Powervault (Drive S:) and I need to present a plan for
> >moving this data (14 databases) onto the SAN storage, I can see two options
> >Option1) Use the ESM to migrate databases to new drive letter
> >1. Use exmerge to export all email to PST files (and ensure backup)
> >2. use the ESM utility to change the database & storage group paths onto the
> >SAN storage
>
> Use ESM yes, but just change the directory locations and automatically
> move the databases
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q257184 is of
> help here.
>

> >Option 2) Manually copy the files onto the new disk storage
> >1) use exmerge to export all email (and ensure backup)
> >2) Take all Exchange servicfes offline
> >3) File Copy all Exchange files from the S: drive onto the new SAN disk
> >4) Change disk drive letter storage for the previous disk and the new SAN
> >attached (i.e, SAN attached becomes S:)
> >5) Bring Exchange back on-line, it should now look to the new S: drive for
> >data storage.
>
> That doesn't actually make any practical sense so it's best to
> disregard this one.
> >
> >I believe that Option (1) offers a more reliable solution with less downtime
> >(only when migrating user's storage group/database_ however the rollback
> >option would be more difficult.
> >Option (2) would require more downtime, I believe it carries more risk but
> >may offer a better rollback solution.
> >
> >Has anyone out there tried a similar practice and what method/pointers do
> >they have
> >
> >Thanks for any help
> >
> >Mark
>
> What worries me is your description of the SAN and the clustering. Can
> you confirm that the Cluster is pre-existing and you have simply added
> a new SAN to the existing fabric and are simply seeing the new SAN as
> a valid drive letter?

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 7:27:02 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:27:02 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry for the confusion, thanks for quick reply
>
>It is currently running as a two node Active/Passive cluster on W2k3 ent
>edition.  The two nodes currently see shared disk storage hosted on the
>PowerVault system, this is connected to the MSCS cluster as drive S:
>The customer has now purchased a larger more capable SAN system (complete
>Fabric) and has already attached this to the cluster and is available to the
>MSCS cluster as a different drive letter, so yes in effect the new SAN is
>seen simply as a new drive letter.
>
>Basically I've been asked to provide the following
>1. Migrate data storage onto new SAN storage drives (from DAS (Powervault)
>onto SAN (EMC))
>2. Which tools we will use (ESM?)
>3. Rollback procedures
>4. Acceptance test plan
>
>Basically was asking questions on 2 & 3 above, the main reason I had
>mentioned option 2 below was because I thought it may offer a rollback plan.
>The only rollback plan I can think of for using ESM (i'm familiar with this)
>was by using Exmerge and re-importing, but not much else.  Never had a
>problem with usiong ESM for this but the customer wants a rollback.
>
>Ta

OK, so the answer is indeed a simple mail store move process from
drive letter to drive letter. It is utterly irrelevant to the cluster
that the two drive letters are on different SANs. Exchange doesn't
know about SANs, it knows about drives and volumes.

Exchange does a copy of the database files and only if it is happy
that it can mount the stores will it delete the files from the source
directory. That's the rollback.

As for an acceptance test plan, I think you need to get your customers
head out of the Prince2 manual on this one. database dismounted,
database moved, database mounted, Kettle activated.

0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 7:49:03 PM
Like your viewpoint on the kettle I'll have to see what I can do on that one,
as a matter of interest, would the other option be feasible?

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> OK, so the answer is indeed a simple mail store move process from
> drive letter to drive letter. It is utterly irrelevant to the cluster
> that the two drive letters are on different SANs. Exchange doesn't
> know about SANs, it knows about drives and volumes.
>
> Exchange does a copy of the database files and only if it is happy
> that it can mount the stores will it delete the files from the source
> directory. That's the rollback.
>
> As for an acceptance test plan, I think you need to get your customers
> head out of the Prince2 manual on this one. database dismounted,
> database moved, database mounted, Kettle activated.

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 8:05:03 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:05:03 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Like your viewpoint on the kettle I'll have to see what I can do on that one,
>as a matter of interest, would the other option be feasible?

Option two is not really viable  because it destroys Single Instance
Storage if you ever decided you wanted to restore from PST files.

If you really, really want to take a copy of the email then do a
backup and restore into a Recovery Storage Group. This will prove the
backup as valid. You could even leave the RSG  mounted in case the
main move of the primary store (how many have you got btw and are all
the execs in the same one?) goes pear shaped.
0
mark7219 (5666)
3/22/2005 8:22:51 PM
12 databases, four storage groups (logs and databases all on same drive) and
yes the execs are on the same one but like the idea of the recovery storage
group.

Will be fun

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:05:03 -0800, "mark"
> <mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Option two is not really viable  because it destroys Single Instance
> Storage if you ever decided you wanted to restore from PST files.
>
> If you really, really want to take a copy of the email then do a
> backup and restore into a Recovery Storage Group. This will prove the
> backup as valid. You could even leave the RSG  mounted in case the
> main move of the primary store (how many have you got btw and are all
> the execs in the same one?) goes pear shaped.

0
mark564 (750)
3/22/2005 8:41:04 PM
On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:41:04 -0800, "mark"
<mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>12 databases, four storage groups (logs and databases all on same drive) and
>yes the execs are on the same one but like the idea of the recovery storage
>group.
>
>Will be fun

Create a test one and stuff it full of a few gigs of mail (exmerge a
few gash PST files into it) and then do the move as a concept test.
Take the screenshots. Non IT literate clients love screenshots and
stuff like that.
0
mark7219 (5666)

How do I change the OWA logon page?
How do I change the OWA logon page? It's located in: ...\Exchsrvr\Exchweb\bin\auth\[language] If you understand ASP a bit, then you will be able to do a lot..;) See also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321832/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/830827/en-us http://support.microsoft.com/kb/840671/en-us -- Regards, Menko den Ouden MCSE+I+Messaging "Eric K" <EricK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:26A385D4-5A8D-4BF5-A7A0-2652ED083456@microsoft.com... > How do I change the OWA logon page? hello yes also you can use the following link it ...

VBA Pivot Table Change Criteria
I have a worksheet called Front where there is a field populated with a date in dd/mm/yyy format (in cell B10). On this worksheet I have a button which runs the below code and should look at a worksheet called Pivots which contains 10 pivot tables. I need the code to change the Page value of each of these pivots to the date populated in cell B10 on the Front worksheet. The source data and the pivot has the date in the same format as each other and the Pivots are named PivotTable6 etc etc... Sheets("Pivots").Select ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable6").Pivo...

Changing Global Address List Fields Displayed in Outlook
When the Outlook 2003 Address Book displays the Exchange 2003 Global Address List, certain fields are displayed by default (Name, Business Phone, Office, Title, Company, Alias, E-mail Type, E-mail Address). I would like to change this by adding the Home Phone number. How can this be done? It can't be done. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Jeffry A. Spain" <JeffryASpain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Changing content of attachments in received mails
In Outlook 2007 I can change the content of a mail attachment and save the changed mail including mail attachment. In Windows Mail I can change the content of a mail attachment (e.g. Word-file) but I cannot save the changed mail including mail attachment. It even does not create any warning message that I loose the changes that I made in the attachment when I close the mail. Does anybody have an idea how this behaviour of MS mail can be improved (or made similar to the outlook behaviour)? You cannot do it. Save the attachment then change it and then send it. Outlook is p...

Changing cell value from another cell
First of all , Hello everyone . My question is this ..Regarding a fantasy Football program i have. I use Vlookup to gather information about a player (from a named range "players" in a1 i input his code (through to k1) cells b1,c1,d1,e1,f1 give me his Position,Name,Team,Value and current score This happens 11 times to form the 11 players We have 2 transfers a year where we swap 3 players and i use the same vlookup in cells m1,n1,o1 to register players out and in q1,r1,s1, 3 players in ..I hope this makes some sense what i want to do is put the 3 players transferred in into...

Cannot change order state
Hello, Can anybody tell me why i cannot change order state? I create order, its state is Active Then i create invoice, and close it with Paid is full but state of my order does not change (i use test version of MS CRM) Marina Milanina ...

Executing a Macro after a cell changes due to a ''new" calculation
Goodday, I tried to use the worksheet change functions, yet they only seem to act when you actively enter into a certain cell. However i need to call a certain macro when the output in a certain cell changes due to the change in the specific if function. Therefore without user intervention. Is there any way to do this? Kind regards, Ivo Geijsen i.geijsen@chello.nl You have one guess at your other post: Take a look at the worksheet_calculate event. Tornados wrote: > > Goodday, > > I tried to use the worksheet change functions, yet they only seem to act > when you acti...

Changing Entity Name
We need to change the wording from "Account" to "Customer". can we do that? On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 02:15:03 -0700, Shawki <Shawki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We need to change the wording from "Account" to "Customer". can we do that? Not possible in CRM I'm afraid! You will be able to do this in the next version of CRM, 3.0. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Shawki" wrote: > We need to change the wording from "Account" to "Customer". can we do that? This is possible. Unsupported t...

Vista Business, SBS 2008 & mapped drives...
One of my users has a vista business laptop that is not a member of the domain. I have mapped drives for her, that are using her domain account, but these have been nothing but problems. When booting up, she will get a message about some drives not being available & will have to mount them manually, but recently it has gotten to the point of the laptop will prettty much lock up when at the point of trying to map the drives. I have hoped that once I join her laptop to the domain, this should smooth out. Of course, she hasn't had the time to give up her laptop to do this, so I...

return record if 5th character is a letter
Hi, I have the mid statement to pull the 5th character, but I need the (query) syntax to filter out the ones that are a letter (alpha) -- Thanks, Ron UCase(Mid(MyString, 5, 1) >= "A" AND UCase(Mid(MyString, 5, 1) <= "Z" -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no private e-mails, please) "Ron5440" <Ron5440@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D3BED359-DBC1-4DFE-94F0-BA7FAF257F8E@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I have the mid statement to pull the 5th character, but I need the >...

Transferring data to new workbook.
Hi All, I want to transferring a data automatically by using vba code.But need soeone to point me the right direction.What I want to do is something simple. I want the code to run if it meet some condition. If a cell in column F:F have value >1 and not empty (""), I want the code to collect the entire data on every cell on the left to be copied and paste into a new workbook. And how to handle if there are some cell that have value >1.How to copy the recordset and paste it into a new workbook.And maybe I also need a message box to tell the user that there is no data will be co...

Changing button region in Dialog
HI, Is there any way to assign my button a region, after dialog has been displayed? I dont want to use PreCreateWindow() Actually, I have 2 buttons, when user clicks first button, the second button's region changes, I did the following void CMyDialog::OnFirstButton() { CButton *pButton = (CButton*) GetDlgItem(IDC_SECOND); CRGN myrgn; myrgn.CreateEllipticRgn(10,10,33,39); pButton->SetWindowRgn(myrgn,TRUE); } but above code doesnt change the button's region. Any idea? I need to change the region of control after Dialog has been displayed. Thanks in advance ...

back up and transfer to a new computer
We recently reformatted our computers at work. I was able to follow the instructions that I found in the knowlege base and save my Outlook Express to a CD and reinstalled it after we reformatted. We upgraded from Win98 to XP. Everything went fine, and I threw away the info. Now my boss wants to do the same thing for his computer at home and we cannot find the instructions. We want instructions to back up everything, messages, folders and address book, to a CD then transfer it to a new computer. Can you help me find those instructions? Thank you, GW "GW" <anonymou...

Opportunity
Hi, I have an MS CRM 3.0 environment and created a new attribute country in the entity opportunities. Users want to see the country the opportunity is for. I think this is the only way to do this. I created a relationship between opportunity.new_country and company.address1.country I added a mapping to the existing relationship with primary unit company, related entity opportunity and behavior parental. Now the strange thing is that in some opportunities (6 to be exact) we see the Country field is filled in and the same as company.address1.country. It isn't filled in the other 40...

save changes to calendar
I have Publisher 2003 and would like to make a calendar. How to save changes to the design, and then be able to apply modified design across any selected date range? I do not want to go in and modify each and every page. Thanks for your help. The only workaround is to modify your first month, copy/paste, edit the numbers and the month name. Insert 11 pages, one for each month. Calendars are tables, changing the numbers is easy. Getting publications to look the way we desire always takes a little work. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Amygdala" <Amygdala@discuss...

Found new abstract artist webpage
I found this new artist and I love the work. I have already have a couple hanging in my home. http://www.geocities.com/thtrchk/ ...

When I click on new mail outlook failed to load resources from fil
Every day I have run Fix and repair before I open up new email or the outllook will shut down! Outllook will work find rest of day but the next day I will have to run fix and repair again! If I don`t run fix and repair every morning when I open new mail outlook will display an era message failed to load or find resources from resource file! It will tell me to check resources! ...

Help: Reinstall on new PC won't work
Get the dreaded Activation code doesn't work hardware has changed. I emailed the address on wednesday. No response. I am moving to quicken, but I don't want to do it until I have time. Any way i can get around this for now. Did you have original boxed CD, or a downloaded copy of Money? "Frank Spina" wrote: > Get the dreaded Activation code doesn't work hardware has changed. I > emailed the address on wednesday. No response. > > I am moving to quicken, but I don't want to do it until I have time. Any > way i can get around this for now. >...

Server 2008 with SSD drive
The client is having some lag problems with Remote access to a application Server 2003 R2. When clients log in and in some cases when printing, the other users either slow way down or become totally unresponsive. I bought a Mushkin 128gb SSD drive and want to install it in the backup server as a test to see if the faster drive access makes any difference. At the same time they would upgrade to Server 2008 (R2?). The drive would have the OS, a Firebird database server and the program files they use. Client count is probably < 10. I am wondering which drive controller to use f...

How to change an existing query
Hi All I have been using excel more than a year. I have a tool that contains a query in one of the sheets which will coonect to an oracle database and retrieves the data. Now I have to change the query. Is this possible for me change only the query with out disturbing the other functionality and structure of the tool. Please help me in this regard as soon as possible. Thanks and Regards Gireesh -- Gireeshm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Gireeshm's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=36478 View this thread: ...

Change Chart Size
I was wondering if anyone knows how I can change the sizes of charts in excel. But i dont want to just resize by dragging the corners, i want to lock the aspect ratio, and change the width to 3.5 inches. So basically, i want to change the width of each chart to 3.5 inches exactly. Another problem I am having is when I copy and paste a chart from excel into powerpoint, all the changes to the size and text I made get changed so its not the copy I wanted. Is there any way to change this. 1) Resize using aspect ratio only after the chart is sucessfully in Powerpoint. 2) You get charts...

Outlook 2003 not checking for new mail at startup
I have followed QID312336 but still not working. Does anyone have another suggestion? Win XP Home, Compaq R3120US laptop, Office 2003 Professional. Thanks! How could we? You've provided no information. At the very least you should post your mail account type, connection type, automatic polling settings, and exactly what isn't working, including the difference between automatic and manual polling behavior. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Mike" <mhoaglan@comcast.net> wrote in message news:18ead01c44c0c$6e231d10$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have followed QID312336 but...

worksheet_calculate event changes worksheets, but shouldn't
Hi, The code below is in the Sheet1 (Budget) Module: The user is entering data into the "Budget" worksheet. When this fires, it should hide some rows on the Categories worksheet. It does work ok, however, everytime a user enters a new figure on the Budget worksheet, it fires and momentarily flashes over to the Categories worksheet. It is quite distractive, especially when one has hundreds of figures to enter. I set a trap to stop it on the top line of this code - the Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() line. Then, when I enter a new number on the Budget page, it fi...

how do i prefix a column with letters
I am deigning a catalogue and want to prefix a column with 4 letters. How can i do this? Hi, You could paste something like this into the code window of the worksheet in question (NOT a normal code module) Option Explicit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NoOfCellsToFormat As Integer NoOfCellsToFormat = Target.Value On Error GoTo ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = False If Target.Column = 1 Then If Target.Row > 4 Then If Target.Row < 11 Then Target.Value = "ABCD" & Target.Formula ...

changing normal template
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I have read the entries on changing the normal template in Word. No matter how I do it (via the formal Help menu, which says go to "Format", "Font", [make change--I changed the font from Cambria to Palatino], click "Default") or via all the suggestions at <http://www.officeformac.com/ProductForums/Office/445/0> I end up with this problem: when I quit Word, I get this message: "A file error has occurred. Check your network connections or make sure the disk is properly inserted and ...