Network Administrator Free Tools

Good Morning,

I'm looking for a good source for FREE tools for a Network Administrator of
a small corporate intranet network.  We are approximately 50 users, using a
Windows 2000 Server and 2003 Server environment with Active Directory, about
140 workstations using Windows 2000 Pro and Window XP Pro, with T1 internet
access and an Exchange 2003 Server on Server 2003.

What I'm looking for are network and internet monitoring software and tools
to guide in in implementing a set of company policies for acceptable
employee computer use, and the software monitoring tools to enforce them.  I
realize that it's a tall order, but, if I can do it with open-source free
software, that's the best option.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the subject?

Also, templates of Acceptable Use policies, etc, would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks!

-David

dreed (72)

It sounds like you just need to set your Group Policy settings based on how
the company want to handle PC use.  As far as Exchange, there are several
great tools available from Microsoft on the Technet web site.  Hope that
helps.  GPO is a great tool.  You can also check out ScriptLogic's third
party program "Desktop Authority"  a very cool GPO type tool.

"David Reed" wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> I'm looking for a good source for FREE tools for a Network Administrator of
> a small corporate intranet network.  We are approximately 50 users, using a
> Windows 2000 Server and 2003 Server environment with Active Directory, about
> 140 workstations using Windows 2000 Pro and Window XP Pro, with T1 internet
> access and an Exchange 2003 Server on Server 2003.
>
> What I'm looking for are network and internet monitoring software and tools
> to guide in in implementing a set of company policies for acceptable
> employee computer use, and the software monitoring tools to enforce them.  I
> realize that it's a tall order, but, if I can do it with open-source free
> software, that's the best option.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on the subject?
>
> Also, templates of Acceptable Use policies, etc, would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -David

redrobit (25)

Routing Group Connections between Administrative Groups?
I have a question regarding the subject... since I don't have an option to try this for myself: When multiple routing groups and routing group connectors between them are used... how does one establish a rgc between routing groups that are handeled in separate administrative groups? Let's say that an administrator has full administrative permissions only within his given administrative group. If there are no two-way connectors established between the routing groups in other administrative groups the communication doesn't work, right? So am I right in concluding that the administra...

free blog's
free blog's http://www.4drk.com http://www.4drk.com -- adabucha3 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ adabucha3's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30374 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=500315 ...

FREE Indian oil for men!
Free Indian oil promotion for men! 100% free trial bottle, safe and great fun! Tel : 91-22-24449309/56663081 MURLI WAGHULDE ...

Download free latest certification Guides & Dumps
Hi, How you doing? Download all latest Certification Materials,Dumps and Exam Guides of various clients like FREE Guides For All Certification Exams, For Altiris, Adobe, Avaya, BEA, CheckPoint, Cisco, Citrix, CIW, CompTIA, CWNA, EC-Council, EMC, Exin, HP, Hyperion, IBM, ISM, Isaca, ISEB, Veritas, Sybase, JAVA, , JBoss, Juniper, LPIC, Lotus, Microsoft, Nortel, OMG, Oracle, RSA, SAP, SNIA, SAS, Sun, Tibco, etc. for free at www.certificationmaterials.com All the best for your exam !!! Thank you with regards, Jack www.certificationmaterials.com ...

Exchange Migration tools wizard
Hello, I try to migrate mailboxes from an unix server to my Exchange 2003 server. Users used IMAP4 on Unix Server. So I try Exchange IMAP4 functionnality but when the tools asked me to add the .csv file. I don't know what kind of information I can put into this file. Can you help me. "Romulus" <tezam@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet news:e9qg86$2gt0$1@biggoron.nerim.net... > Hello, > > I try to migrate mailboxes from an unix server to my Exchange 2003 server. > > Users used IMAP4 on Unix Server. > > So I try Exchange IMAP4 functionnality but wh...

Flicker-free drawing and erasing backgound
Hi all, In my dialog-based program containing property pages I need to display a jpg image and draw over it repeatedly (I use GDI+). To eliminate flicker, I use optimizations like drawing into the memory and overriding background erasing of the property page. This solved the flicker problem, but the dialog now has problems with its backgound colour. The property page on which I'm drawing has a white background. If I move another window over the program or minimize and restore the window, the property page background gets the default grey colour (which lasts until I switch to another pro...

How do set a Vista laptop free from SBS2003 WSUS?
Hello Can you tell me how to set a Vista laptop free from SBS2003R2 WSUS so she can get her own updates from Windows Update? This user is away from the office for weeks at a time On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 11:57:01 -0800, gocat2005 <gocat2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hello > >Can you tell me how to set a Vista laptop free from SBS2003R2 WSUS so she >can get her own updates from Windows Update? > >This user is away from the office for weeks at a time This is a group policy thing. You could set up latops in their own OU and assign a different GP...

EXE running from network share larger than EXE itself?
I have a statically linked MFC EXE compiled with VS.NET 7.1 (2003). The EXE is 1.7MB. Hooking up a network bandwidth monitor I noticed that if I run the EXE from a UNC path (ie. Start | Run | \\servername\share\blah.exe), the 1.7MB EXE causes 5.3MB of network traffic to occur between my workstation and \\servername. The WMI is statically linked, like I said, although it does #import the WMI libs and also some network libs (ADSI, Directory Services Object Picker, etc.), but these libs will be used on the local machine, not the remote. In other words, if I run my EXE from \\servername...

Transfer "Account Tools" Categories to Budget ; PID
I've set up elaborate expense categories/subcategories in the Banking tab under Account Tools/Categories & Payees. Is there a way to import this category structure automatically into a new advanced budget? I bought Money 2006/Deluxe at Walmart. When I tried to use the online support, they asked for a product ident. number, but when I went to Help/About MS Money, there was nothing but a serial number, which didn't work. Any ideas? Thanxalot! -- Rich Rosenberg ...

a brand new query tool is out on beta, we need feedback, so you get a free copy #2
We at Nob Hill Software are working on a new query tool: http://www.nobhillsoft.com/MarieAlix.aspx?HeardVia=ptut You can read all about it on the above web page, but basically, its a very ambitious project to create what we call 'the query tool to end all query tools': everything you ever wanted, desired, dreamed about in a query tool, and then some. For that, we need people who will download it, use it, tell us what they think, what's good and what's not, and what they would like to see in the future. This program has been going on since winter 2009, and so far we've m...

Saving Excel file to Network drive
I recently bought a Buffalo network drive so I can access my files from both my laptop and desktop. This works perfect for my Word documents and even my Outlook PST. The problem is when I try to save an Excel (2003) file to the network drive I get a message like File xxx.Xls is possibly changed by an other user since you last saved it, do you want to overwrite it or to save with another name. (My Office version is not in English so this is my translation of the message) This only happens if I open an existing file, it happens even after I try to save it immediately after ope...

How to restrict user access to Tools | e-mail account function?
Hi; Is there any way to disallow end user open the Tools | E-mail account function in Outlook 2003? I do not want user to change any settings there? Thanks! You can do this through Group policy. Jim "Kane" <kane@thew3solution.com> wrote in message news:eyQda8vOFHA.3000@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi; > > Is there any way to disallow end user open the Tools | E-mail account > function in Outlook 2003? I do not want user to change any settings there? > > Thanks! > > ...

How to link the network database?
Hello all: I want to program a code about database using vc,I want to put the database in the server and the application is put in the local PC.I know if I want to link the database in the server from local PC with ODBC, I must set the database to be shared in.I think it may be insecurities. who could tell how to do?thank you very much. ...

Searching for a mail reflector tool for ex 2003
Hi, i am searching a mail reflector tool for exchange 2003. I found LISTSERV but it is a standalone application. Can someone help? greetings Christoph In news:1172496412.855592.22760@8g2000cwh.googlegroups.com, trojmok <christoph.vonameln@googlemail.com> typed: > Hi, > > i am searching a mail reflector tool for exchange 2003. I found > LISTSERV but it is a standalone application. Can someone help? > > greetings > Christoph What exactly is it you're looking for? "Reflector" generally means you want your mail, either inbound or outbound, delivered o...

mobile web administration on front end
I am not able to bring up or look up any devices for users with the mobile web administration tool installed onthe front end server It ives this error Failed to access user's Mailbox, verify that the mailbox and user account are enabled and functional. any idea? Tony, can you install it on the back-end server? I have always installed it on the back-end. I think it needs access to the mailbox store and the public folder stores. -- Jim McBee Blog - http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com "tony" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:%237V4JCRqGHA.516@TK2MSFTNGP05...

how to stop the "Enter Network Password" pop-up?
Hello, I use Outlook 2002 SP3 on XP Home. Recently, a dialog box titled "Enter Network Password", with text "Please type your user name and password.(...)" appears on top, frequently. This box appears (on top) every few times that either I manually hit the Outlook "Send/Receive" button, or the Outlook checks for new mail automatically (every 2 minutes). Of course I type in the correct password and check "Save this password (...)" box. Does not help - again in a few times e-mail is checked, the same box will appear. I can send/receive, but the pop-u...

SQL Reports in Administration & Excel Crashing
I am using GP 10 and have recently deployed SQL Reporting Services reports in Dynamics. I have a problem when I go to access the reports. In GP 10 after going into Administration and Custom Reports, I get a message that Excel 2007 has crashed. I am not sure why since I am not trying to access Excel 2007 at that time and do not have it open. I realized that that is not an Excel forum, but hoping someone might know a solution due to how Dynamics is relating to Excel in this area that would cause this problem. I had Excel problems that seem similar to your's. I had an Excel...

Re: Magic Indian Oil for MEN! Free Trial
Real Magic Indian Oil from traditional Indian herbs. FREE TRIAL FOR 500 customers (5ml bottle), Ring +91 9810577227 ...

10M free hosting
send blank message to sales@lpi-hk.com to get access. ...

Why is administrator blocking outgoing mail?
Every time I try to send mail to several clients it is refused and it says it was "Blocked by Administrator. try again" "TAG the DNG" <TAG the DNG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F7220AE-3347-44FE-8C14-3D4AE6973FDA@microsoft.com... > Every time I try to send mail to several clients it is refused and it says > it > was "Blocked by Administrator. try again" Depends on what "it" is. Might "it" is Outlook issuing an error message. Might "it" is an NDR (non-delivery report ) mail sent back from the ...

Account Limit Notification to administrator and user #2
I can configure the exchange server so that when a user account is nearing its quota limit an email is sent notifying the user. I need to have the same message go to the administratrator as well. Anybody knows how to do this????? ----------------- R//If you're doing this using mailbox management, you can setup admin notification by populating "administrator" field in server properties | mailbox management tab. R//Bharat had an excellent suggestion, just make sure to leave it on "do nothing" other than generating that report.:p Some users might be pissed to see ma...

One million visitors for free!
-Discover how to get 1 Million visitors without paying a dime in advertising! -Discover how a young 31 years old man just became a millionaire on the Internet... in weeks! He paid cash for a Porsche 911 Carrera convertible and a giant domain with private lake in only 28 days. More than 20,000 people have been raging on his website every day! ... Because he just revealed HOW to do it! Heck, go there TODAY and See what he has to say! Click here : http://www.freeadguru.com/cgi-bin/i.pl?c=a&i=27707 --- MAF Anti-Spam ID: 20050601003910G4k3EtD5 ...

Writing USB packet monitoring tool using WDF framework
Hi all, I am new to PC driver development. I would like to write USB packet monitoring tool. Based on my reading I have decided to write USB upper filter class driver. I started with <Install Root>\WinDDK\7600.16385.0\src\general\toaster\kmdf\filter \sideband As a first step I added few DbgPrint messages all over the filter function and registered filter as Upper filter class to USB stack. I added following to FilterEvtIoDeviceControl() to track IOCTL's being called from client drivers: switch(IoControlCode) { case IOCTL_INTERNAL_USB_SUBMIT_URB: DbgPrin...

Network home directories: Excel (2004 and 2008) won't work!!!
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel This is my configuration: - a LDAP Server (Mac OS X Server 10.5.2) - a AFP File Server (Mac OS X Server 10.5.2) - a Client (Mac OS X 10.5.2) Microsoft Excel 2004 (11.4.1) and Excel 2008 All up to date as of today (04/08/2008). The client is configured so that the user is defined on the LDAP server and his home directory resides on the file server. Everything is OK except: Excel is not able to open any file that resides in the home directory. The message that appears says 'Microsoft Excel cannot access the file&#...

as400<iSeries db<ntWS<macro<excel tools
i have an inventory of appx 1000 serial numbers. using keystroke recording, i can populate 2 - 6 fields on 4 green screens to complete a process on one serial number. is there a way to tweak my macro to incrementally continue, automatically, from a list stored in an excel workbook on the client? would be very grateful for fresh ideas. Show us your macro and some data details. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "ayeFayze" <ayeFayze@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7688E31B-F5AD-491F-A9E8-9B03AA0168D6@microsoft.com... ...