Nested Groups - Public Folder Permissions & Message Restrictions

We have nested groups (specialty areas) inside of a main discipline group.
All groups are set to expand on the local server.

We are experiencing issues with using this main group to assign permissions
on Public Folders and to set it as allowed sender for message restrictions
for other distribution groups.

Has anyone come across this before? Does anyone know of a fix?

Are these mail-enabled Security Groups?
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Heather Arnot" <HeatherArnot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We have nested groups (specialty areas) inside of a main discipline group.
> All groups are set to expand on the local server.
>
> We are experiencing issues with using this main group to assign
> permissions
> on Public Folders and to set it as allowed sender for message restrictions
> for other distribution groups.
>
> Has anyone come across this before? Does anyone know of a fix?

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
3/16/2006 10:27:37 PM
The groups in question are all mail enabled, and most (if not all) are
universal groups.

Thanks,
Heather.

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> Are these mail-enabled Security Groups?
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Heather Arnot" <HeatherArnot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > We have nested groups (specialty areas) inside of a main discipline group.
> > All groups are set to expand on the local server.
> >
> > We are experiencing issues with using this main group to assign
> > permissions
> > on Public Folders and to set it as allowed sender for message restrictions
> > for other distribution groups.
> >
> > Has anyone come across this before? Does anyone know of a fix?

Are the member groups mail-enabled Security Groups or Distribution Groups?
--

> The groups in question are all mail enabled, and most (if not all) are
> universal groups.
>
> Thanks,
> Heather.
>
> "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
>
>> Are these mail-enabled Security Groups?
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> www.zenprise.com
>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>

>> "Heather Arnot" <HeatherArnot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > We have nested groups (specialty areas) inside of a main discipline
>> > group.
>> > All groups are set to expand on the local server.
>> >
>> > We are experiencing issues with using this main group to assign
>> > permissions
>> > on Public Folders and to set it as allowed sender for message
>> > restrictions
>> > for other distribution groups.
>> >
>> > Has anyone come across this before? Does anyone know of a fix?

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
3/16/2006 10:38:40 PM
Generally they are security groups (used for both security and mail),
although a couple are distribution groups only.

"Bharat Suneja" wrote:

> Are the member groups mail-enabled Security Groups or Distribution Groups?
> --
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>

> "Heather Arnot" <HeatherArnot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The groups in question are all mail enabled, and most (if not all) are
> > universal groups.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Heather.
> >
> > "Bharat Suneja" wrote:
> >
> >> Are these mail-enabled Security Groups?
> >> --
> >> Bharat Suneja
> >> MCSE, MCT
> >> www.zenprise.com
> >> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
> >>

> >> "Heather Arnot" <HeatherArnot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Problem replicating public folders from 2000 -> 2003 after migration
Hi all We have almost finished migration of our existing Small Business Server 2000 - Exchange Server 2000 (Build 6249.4 SP3) to a new server running Windows Server 2003 (v5.2.3790) and Microsoft Exchange 2003 Enterprise (Build 7226.6 SP1). Migration of mail has completed successfully but we are having a major issue replicating public folders and system information (eg. Offline address book) to the new server. Replication is set up as per microsoft KB article Q307917 and now (several hours later) we are seeing the following under the replication status: Server Name Replication Sta...

Create an Address List Based on Group Membership of Users
Hello, I'm trying to do what is described in Knowledge Base Article - 321723; however, in step 5a I don't have the Group Membership option to click on. Any other ideas as to how to go about creating address lists based on group membership of users? Hmmh, I'm not sure why it doesn't show up in yours but you could also create a custom ldap filter to do the same thing. In this example that I created for someone else, we return a list of all users, groups, public, folders, contacts that do not have a mailnickname beginning with dallas. See article 255602 for more on ldap ...

Internet incoming message don't get to some recipients
Hi I'm running exchange 5.5 sp4, I'd like to get some help to solve this situation: Some recipients are able to recieve Internet incoming message and others are not able, I mean the same message. so what I do is to send a test message (not attachment included) I set many recipients in the To Field in Outlook and some of these recipients are able to get the test message and others don't. "Not rules are implemented in the Outlook Clients" Thank You for your help. On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 11:29:14 -0400, "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote: > >Hi &...

Public Folder migration recommendations
Hey guys, I took over an exchange site that is currently running Exchange 5.5, 2000 and now 2003. What I would like to is migrate and consolidate all the public folders over to the 2003 Exchange server. The problem is that replication doesn't seem to be happening all that well between the 5.5 and 2000 exchange servers. I ran the pfmigrate util. There are 2 exchange 5.5 servers. One has around 2100 public folders, the 2nd exchange 5.5 server has around 1910, and the exchange 2000 server has around 2300 public folders. Obviously not all the servers know about all of the public folde...

Exchange Permissions #3
We have a forest with accounts in the root domain and exchange servers in the child domains. There is no exchange server in the root domain. We have setup a group with permissions to set user mailboxes. According to a doc I read the user setting the mailboxes must still have full exchange rights in the exchange admin group. Currently admin can set mailboxes in admin groups they have only view rights delegated to them. Any ideas why this is? The second issue is we had a non admin user run forest prep and somehow was delegated full exchange admin rights over the exchange organization...

folder browsing
vb.net I want to use a system dialog to return the path to a folder the user selects. I need the ability set the default folder and create a folder too. It would also be helpful from a less clicks stand point if the default folder could be expanded so the user doesn't have to. I found FolderBrowserDialog which does what I want except for a few things. It does not expand the default folder which is a problem because if the user creates a folder, a new folder is created named "New Folder" beneath the default folder but since the default folder is collapsed, the ...

Outlook 2003 Group View
Outlook 2003 currently groups by the day. Is there any way to set up group by the week instead of the day. Any advice would be appreciated. "Jerry" <Jerry@nospam.com> wrote in message news:Xns9B8E80E2D9C6Ajonseynospamherecom@216.196.97.131... > Outlook 2003 currently groups by the day. Is there any way to set up > group > by the week instead of the day. I don't think that's possible. The "Group By Date" filter will show you "Last Week", "Two Weeks Ago", "Three Weeks Ago", and "Last Month" as well as ...

iserror and ifs nested formulas
Please help! I am trying to get the formula below to return a value to the cell ONLY if the answer to ((c30-$30)/g$30) is greater or less than 20%. I am using the below formula. =IF(ISERROR((C30-$G30)/$G30),"-",IF(((C30-$G30)/$G30)>ABS(20),((C30-$G30)/$G30)," ")) Thanks Try =IF(ISERROR((C30-$G30)/$G30),"-",IF(ABS(C30-$G30)/$G30>0.2,(C30-$G30)/$G30," ")) -- HTH Bob "Vicki" <Vicki@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:22EA6740-B9B9-4834-8AEA-217DD36C3B4D@microsoft.com... > Please he...

Missing Message Text

How to increase and decrease indent levels while composing an Entourage message

5.5 to 2003 Distribution Group ADC
Question: If Distribution Lists contain astrick's in the display name, alias name, directory name, ie: "* All Users", is there any problem with the ADC not being able to replicate to Active Directory/E2k3? I remember reading something a while back on this, but can't find any information on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in Advance! Scott ...

Word cannot complete the save due to a file permission error
Hi there, One of my corporate users is experiencing an odd issue producing an error message when attempting to save a Word 2007 document. 1. User has the pre-existing (not new) document open and clicks the save button. 2. In what seems to be a random occurrence, the document will bring up a "Save As" dialog box asking him where to save, as if Word forgot where the document is already saved! Odd thing is, it shows the proper location where the file already exists. 3. User will choose the same location and replace the file. Sometimes it will overwrite and save prope...

Outlook System Folders
Does anyone know how i can rename the Contacts folder in Outlook 2000 without having to re-install office. This is a system folder and it will not allow you to rename or delete it. ...

Outlook 2002 needs to close error message
I am a new user and am using in combination with ACT!. Outlook 2002 does two things consistently which slows down my work: 1. 2-3 times an hour I receive the message "Outlook 2002 needs to close" this often happens in the middle of writing an email or saving contacts to ACT! 2. Each time I close out of Outlook it sends an error saying that it needs to restart the session, do I want to send a report? (I've sent dozens.) I end up waiting for the restart and then closing which it does promptly. How do I eliminate these problems, especially #1? Thank you ...

Unread messages don't exist
My Outlook 2003 Unread Messages folder states that I have 11 unread messages in my inbox. I select the Inbox folder from the Unread Messages folder and right click and choose Mark Messages as Read. I'm then presented withe the following info: Cannot mark the items read or unread. The most likely reasons are: You don't have permissions to modify the items etc etc If I hi-light one of the messages and choose delete, I get the following: The item could not be deleted. It was either moved or already deleted, or access was denied. I cannot read the message either. I have run scanpst on...

How to list permissions for all users ?
Hello, I am wondering how to list each permission on a mailbox with Exchange 5.5, such as user1 can access user2's calendar and this kind of stuff. Is there a tool (ms or not) to list those rights or do I have to review each user manually ? Thank you very much for your answer For folder permission reporting, the easiest tool that we have found is Symprex Folder Permissions Manager http://www.symprex.com/products/fpm/. It is affordable, and provides an easy way to view, report on, and manage permissions. What it does not do (that I'm still looking for) is generate a report of ...

can not forward or reply to messages
I was able to send, forward and reply to messages up til today. For some reason I can not forward or reply to messages today. They are greyed out. I am using Microsoft outlook 2007. Any idea how to fix this? And you cannot create new messages either? Probably the same applies to creating new documents in any of the other Office applications too. In that case it means that you haven't activated your copy of Office yet. You can do so in Outlook via Help-> Activate Product... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto...

Bypassing message when running Update Qury
When I run an Update query I receive a message warning me that I am about to modify data. I click Yes and receive a second message warning that I am about to Update rows. Is it possible to suppress the messages so they do not appear when I run the query? thanks for any help. JoeP See: Action queries: suppressing dialogs, while knowing results at: http://allenbrowne.com/ser-60.html for a couple of ways to handle this. -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mv...

Message with MFC in custom class #2
Hi How can I catch messages in an other class than the view? I have a MFC-SDI-Application which draws with OpenGL. I'd like to have a class, which handels the keyboard input, and another which handels the OpenGL drawing. Can i derive the new class from CCmdTarget? Does that work, and how would an example look like? Thank you John John wrote: > Hi > > How can I catch messages in an other class than the view? I have a > MFC-SDI-Application which draws with OpenGL. > I'd like to have a class, which handels the keyboard input, and another > which handels the OpenGL...

Migrating Exchange 5.5 Public Folders to 2003
I have a small network on NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 that we've decided to replace with Win 2003 and Exchange 2003. We want to use all new hardware so we'll be starting with a fresh 2003 server with no need to connect to the old NT 4.0 server except for transferring data files. I'd like to install a standalone Exchange 2003 and then move the mailboxes (there are only 10) via PST files manually and was hoping I could do the same with the public folders that we use. Although I can move these in PST files the custom forms do not seem to retained so that when I add them to the new 200...

Publisher mailmerge error message, invalid office data source
I am trying to edit a mailmerge database I started in publisher, but I keep getting an error message, "This is not a valid office data source". But it was just fine earlier. Are you creating the list in Publisher? What version Publisher? Look in "My Documents", "My Data Sources", is your data base there? Is there a number associated with your error? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Obrother" <Obrother@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:31B77242-6579-4B64-9...

Can Public Folders mirror Network Folders?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001A_01C62100.FBA32ED0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi all! A question - we like using Exchange Public Folders. We use several = network folders to store files that project team members are working on. = Can we mirror the contents of these project folders in Exchange Public = Folders? We would like the convenience of accessing these files from = Outlook, and not having to open Windows Explorer. Any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks! Regards, CQ ...

You are unable to add a database to the Exchange 2003 Recovery Storage Group
Hi, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555307/en-us Is there any solution available for solving this problem ? Thanks Mario Did you try the one listed? RESOLUTION Right-Click the incorrectly formatted mailbox store name in the Exchange System Manager. Select "Rename" and add the appropriate leading or trailing parenthesis so that the mailbox store is in the expected format of MailboxStore (Server Name), or rename the store so that there are no mismatched parenthesis. In some cases, you may need to rename the mailbox store via Adsiedit. See "More Information". Bac...

Error messege when I open or right click on a folder in public folders, ID no: c1030af0
Hi I've recently added another nic and ip-adr. to my exchange 2003 server. And after this new hardware and ip.adr Ive got a problem whith public folders. When I look at the properties on a subfolder in public folders with exchange system manager I'll get the following error: Exchange System Manager The operation failed due to an invalid fomat in the HTTP request. Verify that the host header is correct for the virtual server. ID no: c1030af0 Exchange System Manager I'm not sure how the host headers should look like for the virtual server. Any suggestion? Thanks in advanc...

Message box warns for duplicate use of named ranges when copying s
I created an Exel/VBA2003 application in which a copy of a worksheet is added when the user pushes some button on the main form. In the worksheet which is copied, I use a few named ranges. This works fine in 2003. In 2007, however, a message box pops up that warns for duplicate use of the named range in the new sheet. Since there are 5 ranges, it is quite annoying to cancel these message boxes every time. Can I programmatically prevent these msg boxes from popping up ? Thanks ! Found one answer on pcreview (gracias a Hector Miguel): add Application.DisplayAlerts = False a...