Need to share contacts but do not use Exchange for email

Good day all:

I have a client who just installed SBS 2003.  They have about 6 or so
PCs connecting to the domain and no one in the office has email on
their computer.  They do however want to share a contact list using
Outlook which is installed on all machines with Office 2002..

To be honest I am not an Exchange admin, have not played much with
Echange since 5.5.  Can someone let me know what needs to be done, on
both the server and the clients, so that each computer can use Outlook
to view a common contact list even though they will not use Exchange
for any email, or if that is even possible.

I am not sure if I should post this in the exchange admin or SBS group,
so I am posting in both places.  Sorry for the double post.

Thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue.

Mark

0
mark2594 (3)

On 11 Sep 2006 11:15:48 -0700, mark@whitestardata.com wrote:

>Good day all:
>
>I have a client who just installed SBS 2003.  They have about 6 or so
>PCs connecting to the domain and no one in the office has email on
>their computer.  They do however want to share a contact list using
>Outlook which is installed on all machines with Office 2002..
>
>To be honest I am not an Exchange admin, have not played much with
>Echange since 5.5.  Can someone let me know what needs to be done, on
>both the server and the clients, so that each computer can use Outlook
>to view a common contact list even though they will not use Exchange
>for any email, or if that is even possible.
>
>I am not sure if I should post this in the exchange admin or SBS group,
>so I am posting in both places.  Sorry for the double post.
>
>Thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue.
>
>Mark

You don't use Exchange for the email so I would post this in neither
the Exchange nor the SBS groups. As to where I would post it, no clue.

I'd enquire as to why you bought SBS and promptly decided not to use
half of the benefits of it....
0
mark7219 (5666)
9/11/2006 6:28:18 PM
<mark@whitestardata.com> wrote in message
> Good day all:
>
> I have a client who just installed SBS 2003.  They have about 6 or so
> PCs connecting to the domain and no one in the office has email on
> their computer.  They do however want to share a contact list using
> Outlook which is installed on all machines with Office 2002..
>
> To be honest I am not an Exchange admin, have not played much with
> Echange since 5.5.  Can someone let me know what needs to be done, on
> both the server and the clients, so that each computer can use Outlook
> to view a common contact list even though they will not use Exchange
> for any email, or if that is even possible.
>
> I am not sure if I should post this in the exchange admin or SBS group,
> so I am posting in both places.  Sorry for the double post.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue.
>
> Mark

My suggestion would be to use Exchange.
If that's not an option, www.slipstick.com may have some kind of apps for
Outlook.

0
exchangemvp (657)
9/11/2006 6:46:38 PM
Please trust me that your users will become rather confused and frustrated
if you try to do this.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

<mark@whitestardata.com> wrote in message
> Good day all:
>
> I have a client who just installed SBS 2003.  They have about 6 or so
> PCs connecting to the domain and no one in the office has email on
> their computer.  They do however want to share a contact list using
> Outlook which is installed on all machines with Office 2002..
>
> To be honest I am not an Exchange admin, have not played much with
> Echange since 5.5.  Can someone let me know what needs to be done, on
> both the server and the clients, so that each computer can use Outlook
> to view a common contact list even though they will not use Exchange
> for any email, or if that is even possible.
>
> I am not sure if I should post this in the exchange admin or SBS group,
> so I am posting in both places.  Sorry for the double post.
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance with this issue.
>
> Mark

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Exchange 2003
I can't seem to get the simple display name to work. I modified the registry to use the simple domain name. I haven't restarted the information store service yet. I thought that with SP2 it should fix this issue. I have Exchange 2003 SP2 on Windows 2003. -- La Senza Support In news:00243A09-C043-4224-A45F-FC02CDFB1FEC@microsoft.com, La Senza Support <LaSenzaSupport@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > I can't seem to get the simple display name to work. > I modified the registry to use the simple domain name. I haven't > restarted the information store service...

invalid email address

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Attaching Contacts to new email

Some Emails Cannot be Delivered

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

New to excel

NDRs forwarding to external contact

From time to time, I will recieve email from friends, family, or business...and when I get the email, I open it up to find nothing but white space. I can't find a common thing between emails. I just know it is very frustrating when I have to ask people to resend the email to me or to a new address. When I look at my mail on the server, it is fine. It is when I open Outlook and it downloads it to my desktop. I get nothing. Any ideas? Cheers.. vg Sorry, wanted to add that I am using OL2003 with WINXP and everything is updated SP wise. I am starting to see some articles on this...

using the journal on outlook