Need to block emails based on content

Following the latest virus/worm, my Exchange server is overrun with
CIA/FBI/"I've a new email address" type of emails.

I already have IMF installed but this tool is not maintained and updated
well.

I am looking for a good solution to block emails based on their content and
send them to the Junk folders.

Something that would work hand in hand with IMF or in concurrence with IMF
would be nice.

Thanks a bunch!

In news:43947528$0$3765$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net,
Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam> typed:
> Following the latest virus/worm, my Exchange server is overrun with
> CIA/FBI/"I've a new email address" type of emails.
>
> I already have IMF installed but this tool is not maintained and
> updated well.
>
> I am looking for a good solution to block emails based on their
> content and send them to the Junk folders.
>
> Something that would work hand in hand with IMF or in concurrence
> with IMF would be nice.
>
> Thanks a bunch!

This is SOBER_AG, I believe. Do you run good Exchange-aware antivirus
software?
If your users are getting bogus NDRs because someone they know has the
virus, and it spoofed the sender so the innocent get the NDRs, I'm not sure
what you can do about this, honestly.

0
lanwench (7567)
12/5/2005 5:20:53 PM
> In news:43947528$0$3765$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net,
> Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam>
> typed:
>> Following the latest virus/worm, my Exchange server is overrun with
>> CIA/FBI/"I've a new email address" type of emails.
>>
>> I already have IMF installed but this tool is not maintained and
>> updated well.
>>
>> I am looking for a good solution to block emails based on their
>> content and send them to the Junk folders.
>>
>> Something that would work hand in hand with IMF or in concurrence
>> with IMF would be nice.
>>
>> Thanks a bunch!
>
> This is SOBER_AG, I believe. Do you run good Exchange-aware antivirus
> software?
> If your users are getting bogus NDRs because someone they know has the
> virus, and it spoofed the sender so the innocent get the NDRs, I'm not
> sure what you can do about this, honestly.

Yes, we have Symantec Corporate and it blocks the attachments, but what I
want to do is also can these messages (and others) based on content or
domain.

All emails from "cia.gov", for instance. All emails with underscores in the
subject. Etc...

"Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo" <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam> wrote
in message news:43947df4$0$3757$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
>> In news:43947528$0$3765$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net,
>> Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam>
>> typed:
>>> Following the latest virus/worm, my Exchange server is overrun with
>>> CIA/FBI/"I've a new email address" type of emails.
>>>
>>> I already have IMF installed but this tool is not maintained and
>>> updated well.
>>>
>>> I am looking for a good solution to block emails based on their
>>> content and send them to the Junk folders.
>>>
>>> Something that would work hand in hand with IMF or in concurrence
>>> with IMF would be nice.
>>>
>>> Thanks a bunch!
>>
>> This is SOBER_AG, I believe. Do you run good Exchange-aware antivirus
>> software?
>> If your users are getting bogus NDRs because someone they know has the
>> virus, and it spoofed the sender so the innocent get the NDRs, I'm not
>> sure what you can do about this, honestly.
>
> Yes, we have Symantec Corporate and it blocks the attachments, but what I
> want to do is also can these messages (and others) based on content or
> domain.
>
> All emails from "cia.gov", for instance. All emails with underscores in
> the subject. Etc...

You need Symantec Entreprise Edition  (Symantec Mail Security For Exchange)
Then you can make a rule for subject scanning  etc etc

0
news1115 (3)
12/5/2005 7:54:21 PM
> "Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo" <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam>
> wrote in message news:43947df4$0$3757$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net...
>>> In news:43947528$0$3765$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net,
>>> Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam>
>>> typed:

>>> This is SOBER_AG, I believe. Do you run good Exchange-aware antivirus
>>> software?
>>> If your users are getting bogus NDRs because someone they know has the
>>> virus, and it spoofed the sender so the innocent get the NDRs, I'm not
>>> sure what you can do about this, honestly.
>>
>> Yes, we have Symantec Corporate and it blocks the attachments, but what I
>> want to do is also can these messages (and others) based on content or
>> domain.
>>
>> All emails from "cia.gov", for instance. All emails with underscores in
>> the subject. Etc...
>>
> You need Symantec Entreprise Edition  (Symantec Mail Security For
> Exchange)
> Then you can make a rule for subject scanning  etc etc

Well, I do have Symantec Enterprise Edition version 10 but I do not have the
Exchange component.

I am looking for a freebie first. IMF does a good job but it lets too much
go through. I'd like to set up something that would allow me blocking
certain emails based on their content, at server level.

In news:43949f1d$0$3764$39cecf19@news.twtelecom.net,
Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam> typed:
>> "Nicolas Verhaeghe - White Echo"
>> <nospam_nicolas@whiteecho.com_nospam> wrote in message

>>> Yes, we have Symantec Corporate and it blocks the attachments, but
>>> what I want to do is also can these messages (and others) based on
>>> content or domain.
>>>
>>> All emails from "cia.gov", for instance. All emails with
>>> underscores in the subject. Etc...
>>>
>> You need Symantec Entreprise Edition  (Symantec Mail Security For
>> Exchange)
>> Then you can make a rule for subject scanning  etc etc
>
> Well, I do have Symantec Enterprise Edition version 10 but I do not
> have the Exchange component.
>
> I am looking for a freebie first. IMF does a good job but it lets too
> much go through. I'd like to set up something that would allow me
> blocking certain emails based on their content, at server level.

I don't know of anything native.
You really ought to be running Exchange-aware antivirus software anyway.

0
lanwench (7567)

Problems with creating a newsletter

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

Sending Email #6

Need HELP! for Linking data

Need to add to current formula

Need macro help to close excel

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Email cannot be resolved...

Disable Scanmail & Typical VM Largest Block Size
This is how to disable Mailscan as per Trend Support. Stop all Scanmail services and unregister the event sink. To unregister SMTP event sinks: 1. Open the command prompt. 2. For SMEX 7.0, go to the ..\Program Files\Trend\SMEX folder 3. Run the toolSmtpEventSink.exe /unreg command. After doing this the VM Largest Block Size does not decrease below 70 meg. But 70 meg seems low to me. Is 70 meg typical? -- Brett ...

Recurring email #2

blocking senders #2
I'm considering switching to Outlook (Office XP) from OE for my e-mail. OE had an option of blocking senders based on their domain, but I can't find that in Outlook. The only thing Outlook gives me is the option of blocking by the display name or address. For example I want to be able to block everything from @internet.ch not just oiurwfgohgrh@internet.ch (or better yet everything from .ch). I can't even find a way to make outlook display the senders real address instead of a name or how to find the full header, properties & source of a message. -- Bill Mitchell To block a...

Inbox Icons not changing when email forwarded or replied to
This may seem like an insignicant issue, but when you have hundreds of emails in your inbox, it is extremely important to know which ones you have forwarded and which ones you have replied to. Unfortunately, my inbox icons do not change when I reply to a message or forward a message. They also remain as the "Read Message" icon. I have searched the Knowledge Base, but I have been unable to find an answer to this seemingly simple issue. I am using Outlook 2000. Appreciate any assistance, James ...

Email signature #4
Using Outlook 2000, whenever I send an email my automatic signature is preceded by "AUTOTEXTLIST \s "E-mail Signature"". How do I get rid of it? It doesn't happen when I insert auto text directly. ...

Exchange problem while emailing from TS
I have a published application via TS and Citrix Metaframe XPe. OCCASSIONALY, when a message is sent from MAPI client configured in the TS environment (Outlook 2003) it will change the SMTP address, by concatinanting the address. For example: user@domain.com is the intended address, when I look at the Message Tracking Center on the Exchange Server it's attempting to send to user@domain.com:USER@DOMAIN.COM. Where is the :USER@DOMAIN.COM, which is being added to the end of the SMTP coming from ? ...

Exchange 2003 Web Mail.. Disappearing content.
I have a strange situation brewing that I haven't been able to figure out yet. About once a day, my Exchange 2003 server forgets how to display email content. That is, when a user tries to open ANY email, it opens, but there is NO content. The only solutions I have come up with are temporary: 1) Reboot the server (which can take in excess of 15 minutes), or 2) Restart the MS Exchange Store service. Sometimes I have to restart the IIS web site where webmail is configured and running Specs on the server are 2ghz P3 with 1gig RAM w/ Windows 2003 Enterprise Serve Exchange 200 IIS6. I wo...