Need Help troubeshooting

I am running Exchange 2003 sp1 on Windows Server Entrprise 2003 sp2.  I have
two front-end servers, and a back-end active/passive Exchange cluster. I was
notified that we were experiencing problems and noted many delivery errors
reported by Symantec Email Gateway (virus/spam) tool.  I rebooted the
troubled gateway and was flooded with messages from  the prior day, and some
even 2 days prior.  Where did these messages come from?  Is there an incoming
queue of some sort?  Also,  when I look in the outbound queue, I see messages
that are definitely not from our organization - why is this, and is there
something I can do about it.  Most of it seems to be spam. Since sober at the
year's end, we continue to have bad email days -- any advice appreciated.
Thanks
C Emmons
0
CEmmons (44)

Sounds like open relay maybe? Did you do the SMTP telnet test from outside
the network?

telnet mailserver 25
helo myserver
mail from: someone@somsonesomewhere.com
rcpt to: someone@anwyehreese.com

you should get a 550 error denied, if you do NOT then you are in a bad
situation. Make sure to do a port scan at DSLReports or something to make
sure port 25 isnt open to both the spam device and the backend server.

"C Emmons" wrote:

> I am running Exchange 2003 sp1 on Windows Server Entrprise 2003 sp2.  I have
> two front-end servers, and a back-end active/passive Exchange cluster. I was
> notified that we were experiencing problems and noted many delivery errors
> reported by Symantec Email Gateway (virus/spam) tool.  I rebooted the
> troubled gateway and was flooded with messages from  the prior day, and some
> even 2 days prior.  Where did these messages come from?  Is there an incoming
> queue of some sort?  Also,  when I look in the outbound queue, I see messages
> that are definitely not from our organization - why is this, and is there
> something I can do about it.  Most of it seems to be spam. Since sober at the
> year's end, we continue to have bad email days -- any advice appreciated.
> Thanks
> C Emmons
0
Vicnice (145)
2/16/2006 3:28:27 AM
Thanks for your reply.

 I tried to telnet to my mail server from the outside on port 25 and could
not connect.  I did the same test from the inside, and when I tried to
complete the other steps -- it told me that I could not relay.  That sounds
good - right? These odd messages are certainly spam, but I don't know how to
keep them out of my queue.  Perhaps they are generated from the inside
(college campus environment), but can you explain how and why they get in the
queue and any prevention ideas.

Thanks again.
C Emmons

"Vicnice" wrote:

> Sounds like open relay maybe? Did you do the SMTP telnet test from outside
> the network?
>
> telnet mailserver 25
> helo myserver
> mail from: someone@somsonesomewhere.com
> rcpt to: someone@anwyehreese.com
>
> you should get a 550 error denied, if you do NOT then you are in a bad
> situation. Make sure to do a port scan at DSLReports or something to make
> sure port 25 isnt open to both the spam device and the backend server.
>
> "C Emmons" wrote:
>
> > I am running Exchange 2003 sp1 on Windows Server Entrprise 2003 sp2.  I have
> > two front-end servers, and a back-end active/passive Exchange cluster. I was
> > notified that we were experiencing problems and noted many delivery errors
> > reported by Symantec Email Gateway (virus/spam) tool.  I rebooted the
> > troubled gateway and was flooded with messages from  the prior day, and some
> > even 2 days prior.  Where did these messages come from?  Is there an incoming
> > queue of some sort?  Also,  when I look in the outbound queue, I see messages
> > that are definitely not from our organization - why is this, and is there
> > something I can do about it.  Most of it seems to be spam. Since sober at the
> > year's end, we continue to have bad email days -- any advice appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > C Emmons
0
CEmmons (44)

If Statement Help #4
Dear JulieD: I am very grateful for your help, If I understand your sugestion, would need to write a VBA macro to cut and paste-special the capture data into a new column? You would think that excel would provide a more elegant manor t capture volitale data when it meets a condition that is defined by formula. Capture being the operative word here. Is there another function other than "IF" that would be mor appropiate? Is there an email address and I will send you a copy o STOCKEVULATE.exl Thanks again, Michae -- MJSlatter -------------------------------------------------...

Formula/calculation help for medical charting
Hi, I am trying to develop an anesthesia record chart for the vet clinic I work at. I have A8 through A15 labeled for time, temperature, heart rate, etc. The other columns (B8-B15, C8-C15, etc) I have set aside for later entries in the above categories as we take values every 5 min. or so. What I would like to do is have a formula that would show numerical values in red if they are above or below the normal value range (in black). For instance, a dog's normal temperature can range from 99.5 degrees F to 102.5 degrees F. If it is 98 degrees or 103 degrees I want these values to s...

Help #3
a get/change first operation ontable 'SY_batch_activity_MSTR' has caused an unknown error(2) ...

Help with entering text in a macro.
As part of an existing macro I want to add quite a lot of text in rows 1 to 13. The way I am achieving this is using:- ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Value = "insert text here to appear in row 1 column 1, the value of cell A15 is” ActiveSheet.Cells(2, 1).Value = "insert text here to appear in row 2 column 1” As part of the above I want to display the content of cell A15 at the end of the text in row 1 column 1. I have written the following:- ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Value = "insert text here to appear in row 1 column 1, the value of cell A15 is” &A15. The problem I have...

help me! about quote other workbook's sheets
I have 2 workbooks. one is Book1, the other one is Book2. There are about 100 sheets (sheet1 to sheet100) in Book2. And now,I want to quote Book2's sheets in Book1. for example, I can use it this way : [Book2.xls]sheetX!A3 the part "sheetX" would be right if I write it sheet1 or sheet2. But, my problem is that I need the X could be changed via some cell's value. how can I do it? thanks! linglingmc@hotmail.com Hi lingling, =[Book2.xls]sheetX!A3 You would need to use INDIRECT and both workbooks must be open. =INDIRECT("[Book2.xls]" & H$1 & &qu...

How to get serious help?
I have been working on a project for the last seven months that I hope will be my first professional dll. It works great so far while dynamically linked to an older version of mfc42.dll. I have found that it doesn't work with newer versions. Since I don't want my future clients to experience the extra headache of worrying about future mfc versions, I'm trying to change my project over to static linking. The thing is, this is a very complicated UI dll that uses a mixture of old fashioned Win32 hooking and MFC objects. I don't think that the average board reader will be...

Need to convert an .OST file into a .PST file.
How can I convert a user's .ost file into a .pst file? The mailbox has NOT been deleted., if that matters. Thanks! WOW I found a Program for $599 cough Cough!!! http://officerecovery.com/exchange/ Here's a service for $20.00 USA http://www.payam.com.au/exchangeconverstion-convertosttopsthtml.htm List of Microsoft Partners http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/partners/otherapps.asp Good luck Russ "bobk" <bkreimborg@netzero.com> wrote in message news:%23ODzNgOTFHA.3392@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > How can I convert a user's .ost file into a .pst file? The m...

Help about Locked cells
Help about Lockes cells Required In excell 2002 I lock some cells which contain formulas, and when click on them it shows a pop up information telling about lock cel properties . It is very annoying when working in some application with a lot of cells locked. :confused: I want it should remain quite when I click on a locked cell. I am using windows xp sp2 is it possible ? if Yes HOw? best regards Nadee -- ndmala Fond of learning everythin ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ndmalam's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=get...

Relationship Help with Tables
This is the tables I have on my database. Can someone take a look and make some recommendations on the relationships. tbl FV Case Info = main (parent table - Id No is the primary key) tbl FV Charges = child table (links with Id No to Case Info) tbl FV VW = child table (links with Id No to Case Info) The Docket Number = one case, each record should have a charges reecord with count number, charge code, crime name, statue, disposition per count, sentencing per count (there can be more than one count per case info record). Then there is one V/W Record for each case (only one r...

Expert Help: Minimizing Freezing Screen?!
Hi, Why screens freeze? How can you minimize this? Thanks, Mike "Mike" <maasultan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:660284dd-c09b-4ad1-9561-0751bd45c1b1@j17g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Why screens freeze? Video card failing, processor fried, Hard Drive failing, bad memory, screwed up Windows files, moron behind the keyboard? The latter is my vote! > How can you minimize this? Turn off the computer and walk away. -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." ...

My Outlook 2002 Rules have disappeared. Help
My rules have disappeared. And the Tools menu Rules options have disappeared also. Plus, when I click on right click on a piece of mail, and pick the create rule option, nothing happens. So I have three problems: 1. Outlook has lost all of my rules. Not I big deal I did not have many. 2. It will not create a rule. A big deal as I can not enter any new rules. 3. The Tools menu does not have and will not take a Run Rules option. So basically all commands, options, features related to rules are inoperable. What kind of cs program is this. By the way, my Outlook is on one computer. ...

urgent help!
Exchange 2003/windows 2003 envir. Users complained about receiving emails from outside. checked the queue, there are 960MB messages sitting at the backend server at the b. I did a search the queue and did not find any larger size attachment (over 5 MB). Check the queue folder and there are only around 50MB message size. so, where are these messages that could exist? (not in queue, bad mail, and pickup) How could I free up the queue and let other mails to go through? Thank you. Sorry to mention: The messages are shown in the local delivery queue (over 900 MB) whe...

3rd yr degree HELP!!!
i need to create a database for stcok control and i have done most of it but am stuck on a few things i need to know: the quantity of stock availiable; set re-order levels, and; create a monthly table for products ordered. any help would be grately appreciated! thankyou Hi you need to provide more infor about your data layout -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "FPDisaster" <FPDisaster@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:605FE1DF-3C3D-41B9-ACBB-3B8E04282F5F@microsoft.com... > i need to create a database for stcok control and i have done most of...

help with stop loop eof
I have a table "pt" with 2 fields 1 named "MasterID" and 1 named "tickets" each MasterID hes a number of tickets to print so I want to append to a new table each masterid so many times the value of the ticket field is example if the masterid "15251" hes the ticket value 20 I want to append to the new table the value "15251" 20 times so I created a query "select tickets from pt group by tickets" and the form runs the loop on each query record so many times the value of me.tikets then the first loop is to navigate to the next record the...

OT: need free on-line punctuation checking only
Help. Need URLs to correct punctuation only. www.google.com would be a good place to start looking. "Robert Macy" <macy@california.com> wrote in message news:badfabba-7c95-482f-a1b2-831e01ad1485@11g2000prw.googlegroups.com... : Help. Need URLs to correct punctuation only. Why online? Can't you use one of the offline tools like OpenOffice? It's free and should provide everything you need. I guess that if you really wanted it online, you could host it yourself somewhere... Yves "Robert Macy" <macy@california.com> wrote in message ...

Macro in Excel, anybody help?
Hello, I need some help in creating a macro in Excel. I have created mactos before and this one is a little more than I might want to take on. I am looking to copy three cells from a spreadsheet that I have, and paste them into a website, and have it return me a response back into the spreadsheet. If anybody has any suggestions, or know of people that might do this kind of work, please let me know. I have a few people taking a look at this right now, but they are dragging their feet and I need it asap. Thanks, Jesse Hi, What do you want to do? Do you have setup a connection to th...

Font help needed in Outlok 2003
Could someone please tell me how to change the font on the "To; From" field, etc., in the Email area of Outlook 2003? Using XP. Are you talking about the e-mail list or are you talking about the message form? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "miscellaneousmedia@yahoo.com" wrote: > Could someone please tell me how to change the font on the "To; From" > field, etc., in > the Email area of Outlook 2003? Using XP. ...

Need script: Bulk import contacts from csv
I have 15000 contacts in a csv file. I need to create user objects (with all their contact info etc), home directories with permissions, and mailboxes for these users in a specific mailstore. I have searched high and low, and I can't find anything. Any ideas? Thanks! If you have got all of the relevant data in the CSV file (such as the user name, first name, last name, etc...), then you can probably do most of this with CSVDE. You will need to create some additional fields/columns in the CSV, but this article is probably a good starting point. http://www.computerperforma...

Need suggestions
The top of my list for version 8 improvements (as opposed to new features) is to improve our UI for charts. It easily is the most difficult part for a new user and even the support people here (who know the program best) trip over it at times. The key issue is selecting the data for the chart. Everything else works pretty well. But this one part � not simple. Any suggestion - please, Please, PLEASE post a comment at http://www.davidthielen.info/windward/2009/04/improving-the-charting-user-interface.html thanks - dave david@at-at-at@windward.dot.dot.net Windward Reports -- http://www.Windw...

Need a tool to create large number of test mailboxes in exchange 2003...
I want to create large number of test mailboxes in Exchange 2003 server. Not getting any tool to do this. Could any one please let me know a tool or a script for me ? Regards, Shivaraj You can use ldifde or csvde. Read this: http://www.serverwatch.com/tutorials/article.php/2199331 "shivaraj" wrote: > I want to create large number of test mailboxes in Exchange 2003 > server. Not getting any tool to do this. Could any one please let me > know a tool or a script for me ? > > Regards, > Shivaraj > > ...

#Error Help Needed
Need help. The End_Date field is bland and if so formating it returned a #ERROR in the field when I run a query. I thought I could do an IIF(IsError(.. .. to remove it, but I am having trouble with the syntax. Below is what I thought would work, but it's not working. Can anyone see the errors in my ways? E_DATE: IIf(IsError([END_DATE]),"",Format(DateSerial(Left([END_DATE],2),Mid( [END_DATE],3,2),Right([END_DATE],2)),"mm/dd/yyyy")) -- Matt Campbell mattc (at) saunatec [dot] com Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-...

Sorting and coloring cells, formula or macro help needed
I have a problem that i don't know how to solve. I wrote it all in my excel file that needs to be done. File is here http://www.sendspace.com/file/q4jc71 Anything that isn't clear, pls ask me. I need this really badly, because my tables sometimes have thousands of those records. HTH: http://excel.tips.net/Pages/T002581_Sorting_Data_Containing_Merged_Cells.html Micky "domyrat" wrote: > I have a problem that i don't know how to solve. I wrote it all in my excel > file that needs to be done. > > File is here http://www.sendspace.com/fi...

Help Please. No Idea what to look for or how to do this
FYI this is a begging plea for help. I have an excel file with 2 sheets of data on sheet 1 i have 2 colums, Data A & Data B One sheet 2 I Have Data C Basically On Sheet 2, Data C contains 2483 Unique records Then On Sheet 1, Contains about 54k unique records , the Data A colume contains Unique Numbers, Data B contains the First 6 Alpha/numeric digits of the Same Data , located in sheet 2. What i need, is to be able to Locate & Match Records first then append data in a new cell or sheet. Ie SHEET 1 MYID1 | MY ID 2 | 1 | AAC 211 | 2 | AAC 211 | 3 ...

Help! Master Project File
I have about 9 projects checked into Project Server. Management likes to see them all in a single master project file, so I created a master project file with all 9 projects inserted and published that. I also use this master project file to control cross-project leveling. In addition, each Monday I save a snapshot offline copy of the master project file so we can compare the schedule on a week to week basis. The problem I'm seeing with that is, when I open the older snapshots, they refresh to the most current information. I therefore lose the historical view of the sc...

combo help please
I may be going about this the wrong way, if I am please tell me. I am trying to run two combo boxes, both run off a single query that does both calculations. One is Qualifying cost (QC). The other is State Financial Participation (SFP). The query does the calculations fine. I have to enter a Wealth index, a Means value, and a POR then I want the query to run, calculate QC and SFP, and then display those values in the combos. I have tried requery commands on both combos, and on the last item to be entered (POR). The row source of the combos is correct but it is not giving me the ...