Need better way to provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes

The exchange admins in my company have come up with a way for the sys admins
to assign the user's mailbox store location.  It's based off of last name.
For example, if your last name starts with letter A, you go on Storage Group
1, Mailbox Store A, if your last name starts with letter B, you go on
Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store B, if your last name starts with letter E,
you go on Storage Group 2, Mailbox Store A, etc....

This is, I believe, and administrative nightmare.  Is there a better way to
provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes?

0
Spin (165)

If it works for you and them, then all is good.  There isn't really a "best
practice" for deciding which mailbox store a user goes on.  It's all
personal preference.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
> The exchange admins in my company have come up with a way for the sys
> admins
> to assign the user's mailbox store location.  It's based off of last name.
> For example, if your last name starts with letter A, you go on Storage
> Group
> 1, Mailbox Store A, if your last name starts with letter B, you go on
> Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store B, if your last name starts with letter E,
> you go on Storage Group 2, Mailbox Store A, etc....
>
> This is, I believe, and administrative nightmare.  Is there a better way
> provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes?

0
Ben
10/18/2005 4:37:13 PM
I assume they have done this to expedite their mailbox recovery
process.  If that is the case, then I can describe what we currently
do.

I have worked with companies that institute policies similar to what
you describe.  The issue is that if you have multiple servers you still
have to check multiple places to find if Joe Adams was on Server
1-SG1-MS A or Server2-SG1-MS A.  Obviously the larger you get the worse
the problem gets.  At the same time you do not want to have to sort
through 25 IS's x however servers you have to find the mailbox when a
recovery is requested.

Our solution was to run a weekly AD export of users with their mailbox
store location.  We keep these on an administrative server for a
certain period of time that corresponds to our backup retention time.
One of our guys wrote a web front end as well where we can search a
username and find what store they were on for a specified date without
opening all the files.

Yes, someone might mention that if a user was on Server 1 last week
when you did an export and then was moved to Server 2 prior to being
deleted, then the export doesn't help.  That is true, but in most cases
that won't happen.  If it were a huge problem then maybe you run the
export daily.  Although that seems like overkill.

As a final stab at the type of nightmare they are trying to create for
you, let me point out that I have done exports of several ADs to
compare last name averages across the board.  It does not balance out
right.

For instance one hospital I worked with was in predominantly Chinese
neighborhood.  There was a large count of last names such as Nguyen,
Chang, etc.  So if used in that scenario the mail store for N and C
would be much larger than the mailstore for A.

That defeats one of the main advantages of multiple stores.  Multiple
stores are useful for distributing users so that no store grows
tremendously larger than another one.

So you can see my disgust for that system.  Drop a post about what
happens.  I am curious.

some approaches....

- by dept: some like to locate users from same dept. in the same store to
benefit from from single instance storage.
- by SLA: if you have higher SLA requirements for execs or particular group
of users, they go in a different store in a seprate storage group.
- by user location: in a centralized environment some prefer to locate
mailboxes based on user location.
--
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT

"Spin" <Spin@spin.com> wrote in message
> The exchange admins in my company have come up with a way for the sys
> admins
> to assign the user's mailbox store location.  It's based off of last name.
> For example, if your last name starts with letter A, you go on Storage
> Group
> 1, Mailbox Store A, if your last name starts with letter B, you go on
> Storage Group 1, Mailbox Store B, if your last name starts with letter E,
> you go on Storage Group 2, Mailbox Store A, etc....
>
> This is, I believe, and administrative nightmare.  Is there a better way
> provision AD accounts that are to have mailboxes?

0
bharat3597 (1006)

HELP! Adding Account Features in Money
Any Money users here? I had been using Quicken for ten years and it does not have a feature to add a VUL (insurance) policy where I have "investments" to track in the policy. Does Money have that feature? Please help. I am considering in switching to Money if it does. Money Mazed In microsoft.public.money, Adelfa wrote: >Any Money users here? I had been using Quicken for ten >years and it does not have a feature to add a VUL >(insurance) policy where I have "investments" to track in >the policy. Does Money have that feature? Please help. I >am cons...

Adding Sub Columns
Lets say I have 2 very wide columns (paper width), and 10 rows of data. Starting in row 11, I would like to have 4 columns under each of the above 2. Is there any way to do this? I realize I could merge the first 10, but I'm actually working with a lot more than 10 rows of data, so that would be a rather cumbersome approach. Thx Dave Hi! >Starting in row 11, I would like to have 4 columns under each of the above >2. Is there any way to do this? The only way would be to merge the cells in the rows above as you have noted. Merging cells is not something you should do ...

Need Advise for Two Email Domains
Hello-- We currently receive email to our domain "abc.com" and want to eventually switch over to another domain we own, "xyz.net." For about three months, we want to receive email to both domains until our members get used to the new address. I added an MX and Host A record in our DNS server and we get email internally to the new "xyz.net" address. I contacted our ISP that hosts our website and had them create a new MX record with the new domain there, but we still cannot get email sent to the "xyz.net" address that is sent from the outside. Ca...

Deleting 1 folder across multiple Mailboxes
We created a duplicate junk mail folder and want to delete it across multiple mailboxes. Is there a utility that will do this or do we need to open each mailbox individually? We have 1200 mailboxes. Thank you Exmerge.exe will do this...it is available at download.microsoft.com. "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:886F1600-5F60-43F1-9F64-968C2F0FB115@microsoft.com... > We created a duplicate junk mail folder and want to delete it across > multiple > mailboxes. Is there a utility that will do this or do we need to open > each &...

Forwarding to external mailbox from exchange
It appears to me that one can only forward mail to another mailbox within the same domain. We would like to forward some mailboxes to external locations. Can we do that? Cliff On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:05:02 -0700, kliphy <kliphy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >It appears to me that one can only forward mail to another mailbox within the >same domain. We would like to forward some mailboxes to external locations. >Can we do that? > >Cliff mail-enabled contacts. Doh! Thanks! "Andy David - MVP" wrote: > On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:05:02 -0700, kliphy &...

Project Accounting purchase order
When I go to create a purchase order for a project I am unable to lookup and select a project. I can type it in without a problem and i can lookup and select a cost category. How do I fix this? Thanks Hi - 1. Do you have access to the PA's purchase order entry window? Security>>Product=PA>Alternate GP windows>Purchasing series>Purchase order entry 2. Make sure the dynamics.set file includes the PA module if you dont see Project accounting as part of the product series. "Accounting" wrote: > When I go to create a purchase order for a project I am...

Need help editing budget
In many catagories of my budget, the budgeted amount includes a billed amount rather than only what I budgeted. When I go to edit budget, I highlight the area I want to change and a copy of the reoccuring bill shows up. What am I doing wrong? ...

need help managing volume size
XP pro I use an array for automated daily backup, I have set up three folders on the array A,B, C. Problems: The array stops accepting data after it reaches a certain level so backups are not executed until I notice and take action. I also wish to keep the size of each folder at a certain level. Right now I am merging files across the array initially loading files into the first folder (A) than moving to the next (B), then the last (C), then purging from the last folder (C) using a program called delinda which uses the files' creation date as the trigger for merging and purging....

Best Way to Handle Recreating Accounts and Category Info
My HD crashed and most of the data in Money 2004 Small Biz was lost. (At the same time I was served a notice from the IRS that I am being audited for Charitable Contributions and Employee Non Reimbursements.) I have received copies of all bank statements and scanned them into excel and am now converting to QIF files that will be imported into Money. Questions: 1. In order to recreate checking, savings, mortgage, car loans, and credit card accounts, should I create these accounts in Money first with a zero balance prior to import? 2. Before import, should I also edit the QIF file for all cate...

Moving mailboxes
Hi, I thought this was fixed in 2000 but I am moving mailboxes from 2000 to exchange 2003. The size seems to increase How do I fix this after all mailboxes have been moved? What else should I do for a best practices? Can you please stop re-posting this same question? This is the third time I've seen in within the last 24 hours. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "MSNews" <none@none.com> wrote in message news:e%232XK446FHA.1944@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi, > I thought this was fixed in 2000 but I am moving mailboxes from 2000 to > exchange 2003. &...

Is there a way to disable quick create
The quick create screen is very annoying, is there a way to force only the use of full forms when clicking new from the lookup dialogue. Anyone? Is this possible system wide? I did find one thing regarding the web.config file but it doesn't seem to work. Adding the following to web.config under <appSettings> <add key="RenderQuickCreateControl" value="Off"/> Any advice would be good. I don't want end users to be able to create using the quick create funtionality. "Simon W3st" wrote: > The quick create screen is very annoying, is t...

Adding investment from portfolio view
Hello, When I add an investment in an investment account, I usually do that from the porfolio view. Standing in the account I want to add an investment into, I click on "Work with investments : Setup a new investment". I then enter all the information needed, including commission etc. but when I finish this, the amount is never deducted from the cash balance. I have to click on the new investment and fill out the account from which this investment is bought. So it is not that I am not currently working in that account, because I am and the investmet does show up in the right...

evaluating exchange 2007 mailbox problems
Currently evaluating exchange 2007 i have a exchange 2003 server, and im currently evaluating 2007 Ive set it all up and moved a mailbox succesfully, this mailbox is sending/receiving on the 2007 server, however the two servers dont talk to each other ? eg i cant mail to the 2007 machine from the 2003 machine ? - is this to do with the transport hub ? external mail doesnt work either - the 2007 server doesnt pick up the mail, also doesn't pick up mail sent from the 2003 domain ? Im sure ive missed something daft! cheers mark Yes. When you install an Exchange Server 2007 server ...

Mailbox sizes
I have been using Eudora since the beginning (since about 8 years or so, I guess), but am currently switching to Outlook 2003. It did an import of all my mailboxes. I had 1 GB of mail in Eudora, in different folders, of course; Eudora didn't have trouble with this. I had several "backup" (old mail) folders with 1000s of messages. These folders seemd to take forever to open in Outlook 2003 (well, in Eudora, this would take 5 seconds, in Outlook 2003, about 30). Is this normal? What can I do optimize this? I need to have access to all my mail at all times, be able to search through...

Outlook 2002 Mailbox Not Displaying
I am running Microsoft Outlook 2002, and when I go into tools -> accounts -> view or change current -> change -> more settings -> and click on the advanced tab to add... a mailbox, I type in the correct mailbox name (i.g. ASFAX) and click add. Click OK throughout, and when I get back to my Folder List, I click on the ASFAX and it says "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location." I know the name of the folder is correct, and it works fine. Other people in my organization can access this mailbox just as do...

Need help creating a view over TenderEntry
In RMS 2.0 I would like to create a view over the TenderEntry and Transaction table that shows me total tender amounts by tender type and transaction date. I would like to use this view to import the totals directly into an Excel. I can get all the details but can figure out what to do to get the totals. Any help is greatly appreciated. You will need to aggregate the values and use a GROUP BY Clause to specify grouping. This is pure SQL stuff, not specific to RMS, so you should be able to find plenty of documentation... a simple case would be: Select [Tender].Code, SUM(TenderEntry...

Need Macro to Collect Multiple Worksheet Names
I need a macro to collect the names of every worksheet in a workbook such that the names are in adjacent cells in one worksheet. The number of worksheets can vary and ideally I don't want to collect the names of the last 2 sheets but I can always just delete them manually. B3 = sheet1 name B4 = sheet2 name B5 = sheet 3 name and so on Thx. Run this sub in a new sheet (it'll list all sheetnames), then just delete whatever is not required Sub ListSheetNames() Dim wkSht As Worksheet Range("B2").Select For Each wkSht In Worksheets Sel...

Need a Multi-Attribute Theory (MAUT) Worksheet
PBunkley - This 10-page paper (PDF file) shows how to set up your own worksheet and how to perform sensitivity analysis: http://www.usfca.edu/~middleton/MultiAttributeUtilityNotes200304132235.pdf - Mike www.mikemiddleton.com ...

I need learn to me to make macros
Hello to all. I am new in this gustaria group to learn to me to make macros in excel. if alguiel wants to help me this it is my email (baez_jose@hotmail.com) Hi as a starting point: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Jose Baez wrote: > Hello to all. I am new in this gustaria group to learn to me to make > macros in excel. if alguiel wants to help me this it is my email > (baez_jose@hotmail.com) You can also 'record' macros, then press ALT-F11 to view the code behind the actions you recorded. "Jose Ba...

delete messages from mailbox store
I have users on SBS2003 Exchange server. They are all downloading to a .pst on their computer, but the messages stay in the mailbox store. i have one user that has 1gig of messages, and he cannot acces OWA because it won"t load up> how do i delete those previous emails so he can load up OWA? Thanks Pam You could use the mailbox management process to delete mail (under recipient policies, new policy) Or you could use exmerge and select the achieve option to remove the mail (and also keep a copy of it) Or you could connect to the mailbox directly using Outlook and delete the mail...

Closing existing document in MDI on OnFileOpen.. before that need to save the existing document
Hi, I have MDI application. I want to give it SDI effect. If I open the other document then existing document should get closed. If modified flag is set then it should give prompt to save the document. And then the opened document should get displayed. WHat I am doign is void CCdApp::OnFileOpen() { CCdFrame* myfrm = (CCdFrame*)m_pMainWnd; myfrm->PostMessage(WM_CLOSE) ; } but then whole application gets closed. How to do it efficiently? If I use CloseAllDocuments(); in app::OpenDocumentFile() then it doesnt give any chance to save the existing document even if the document's modifi...

Before You Buy Accounting Software for Your Small Business #2
Buying the right Accounting Software for your business is very important. Because you will be using your Accounting Software frequently, it's urgent to ensure that you pick the right software for your business and your needs. Accounting software can be a great tool for your small business, allowing you to keep track of all your financial data, and easily produce reports for effective planning. Here are some things you should think about, before buying your Accounting Software: http://smallbusiness-accounting-software.blogspot.com ...

Can you send e-mails from two different accounts?
Hi! I have two e-mail accounts accessible from my Outlook 2002 - one on the company Microsoft Exchange Server and another on an IMAP server, provided my ISP. While I have no problem receiving and reading my personal mails through IMAP, I can't seem to send e-mails from my personal SMTP server (which service is allowed by my ISP.) When I send e-mails from Outlook, the mails are always sent from the MS Exchange Server, not the SMTP server, thus making it impossible for me to send personal e-mails from Outlook. For this reason, I have to run Outlook Express when I have to send personal e-mai...

Correct way of changing MFC application name (m_pszAppName)
As far as I understand, the MSDN documentation regarding how to change CWinApp::m_pszAppName is incorrect. Following the documentation can lead to memory access violation errors. Additionally, the KB article 154744 also gives wrong advise about how to change m_pszAppName. Here's why: At the very beginning of application initialization, AfxWinInit calls CWinApp::SetCurrentHandles, which caches the current value of the m_pszAppName pointer as follows: pModuleState->m_lpszCurrentAppName = m_pszAppName; That is, the module state struct holds a copy of the m_pszAppName pointer. Now, if y...

Need to pass exchange mail through new encryption appliance.
Managment purchased a new email encryption appliance and I need all email from only about 200 of our users to be sent to that box from the exchange server. How would I send only some of the users mail directly to the appliance and leave all other traffic as is? Please help On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:03:02 -0700, MW <MW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Managment purchased a new email encryption appliance and I need all email >from only about 200 of our users to be sent to that box from the exchange >server. How would I send only some of the users mail directly to the >ap...