NDR transmission problem

Hi,

I'm working on a problem with an Exchange 2000 machine that has an odd
behaviour: it will not send out an NDR. I have checked the settings, and
NDRs should leave the server without any problem.

I enabled message tracking and extensive logging to see what was happening,
and it appears the NDRs get dropped in the BadMail folder as the message
cannot be delivered. The Application log tells me this is the problem:

SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x80070005 in 0ms.
 DestAddr=<domain.net>
 DestType=<SMTP>
 MsgType=0x8

and

The domain 'domain.net' is unreachable.

However, when I send a regular message to a mailaddress in that domain,
there is no problem getting the message through:

SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x0 in 0ms.
 DestAddr=<domain.net>, Type=<SMTP>
 MsgType=0x6, NextHopType=OTHER_ROUTING_GROUP
 Type=<SMTP>, Class=<*>, SchedId=0x0
 RouteAddr=<domain.net>
 Connector=<04fd9517-73a1-442f-9fb5-bb25ecc37156>

In short, regular messages get through, NDRs to the same domain do not.

I've looked at so many things now (transport configuration, SMTP
configuration, DNS configuration) ran mtacheck and whatnot, but the source
of this problem eludes me at the moment.

Any insight would be most helpfull. While users can send out regular e-mail
and valid e-mail does get through, any legitimate sender that uses a wrong
address does not get an NDR resulting in misunderstandings and annoyances.

Kind regards,

Rick

Have you attempted to send an email to the same address the NDR is attempting
to send to?

"Rick" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a problem with an Exchange 2000 machine that has an odd
> behaviour: it will not send out an NDR. I have checked the settings, and
> NDRs should leave the server without any problem.
>
> I enabled message tracking and extensive logging to see what was happening,
> and it appears the NDRs get dropped in the BadMail folder as the message
> cannot be delivered. The Application log tells me this is the problem:
>
> SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x80070005 in 0ms.
>  DestAddr=<domain.net>
>  DestType=<SMTP>
>  MsgType=0x8
>
> and
>
> The domain 'domain.net' is unreachable.
>
> However, when I send a regular message to a mailaddress in that domain,
> there is no problem getting the message through:
>
> SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x0 in 0ms.
>  DestAddr=<domain.net>, Type=<SMTP>
>  MsgType=0x6, NextHopType=OTHER_ROUTING_GROUP
>  Type=<SMTP>, Class=<*>, SchedId=0x0
>  RouteAddr=<domain.net>
>  Connector=<04fd9517-73a1-442f-9fb5-bb25ecc37156>
>
> In short, regular messages get through, NDRs to the same domain do not.
>
> I've looked at so many things now (transport configuration, SMTP
> configuration, DNS configuration) ran mtacheck and whatnot, but the source
> of this problem eludes me at the moment.
>
> Any insight would be most helpfull. While users can send out regular e-mail
> and valid e-mail does get through, any legitimate sender that uses a wrong
> address does not get an NDR resulting in misunderstandings and annoyances.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rick

Yes, I have done that already, and that e-mail leave the server without a
problem.

The only thing I can come up with at this moment is that there is a now
defunct SMTP Virtual Server present in the configuration and that this
creates the issue as the server tries to send the NDR over this connector. I
do not know why this defunct SMTP connector is present, we were 'given' the
machine to manage, so we did not configure it ourselves...

Cheers,

Rick

"Nick Cavalancia" <NickCavalancia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:2E3E80E9-E749-450D-A1FE-09D0C84F9805@microsoft.com...
> Have you attempted to send an email to the same address the NDR is
> attempting
> to send to?
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm working on a problem with an Exchange 2000 machine that has an odd
>> behaviour: it will not send out an NDR. I have checked the settings, and
>> NDRs should leave the server without any problem.
>>
>> I enabled message tracking and extensive logging to see what was
>> happening,
>> and it appears the NDRs get dropped in the BadMail folder as the message
>> cannot be delivered. The Application log tells me this is the problem:
>>
>> SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x80070005 in 0ms.
>>  DestAddr=<domain.net>
>>  DestType=<SMTP>
>>  MsgType=0x8
>>
>> and
>>
>> The domain 'domain.net' is unreachable.
>>
>> However, when I send a regular message to a mailaddress in that domain,
>> there is no problem getting the message through:
>>
>> SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x0 in 0ms.
>>  DestAddr=<domain.net>, Type=<SMTP>
>>  MsgType=0x6, NextHopType=OTHER_ROUTING_GROUP
>>  Type=<SMTP>, Class=<*>, SchedId=0x0
>>  RouteAddr=<domain.net>
>>  Connector=<04fd9517-73a1-442f-9fb5-bb25ecc37156>
>>
>> In short, regular messages get through, NDRs to the same domain do not.
>>
>> I've looked at so many things now (transport configuration, SMTP
>> configuration, DNS configuration) ran mtacheck and whatnot, but the
>> source
>> of this problem eludes me at the moment.
>>
>> Any insight would be most helpfull. While users can send out regular
>> e-mail
>> and valid e-mail does get through, any legitimate sender that uses a
>> wrong
>> address does not get an NDR resulting in misunderstandings and
>> annoyances.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Rick

Ah! Finally, I found the problem.

I figured out that the 0x80070005 error could hardly mean anything else than
Access Denied.

After checking the filesystem to see if anything was wrong, and not able to
find anything, I decided it had to do something with the internal mailflow
through connectors and routing engines.

In the end it turned out to be a checkbox on the SMTP-connector. For some
reason, on the 'Content restrictions' the item 'System messages' under
Allowed types was unchecked. As an NDR is a system message, this setting
prevented NDRs from being send and as the sending of this type of message
was not allowed, this resulted in the 0x80070005, Access Denied message.

Thank you all for thinking with me, and I hope this may help anyone reading
this who has the same or a similar problem.

Cheers,

Rick

"Rick" <rharderwijk@removethespamkiller.factotummedia.nl> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a problem with an Exchange 2000 machine that has an odd
> behaviour: it will not send out an NDR. I have checked the settings, and
> NDRs should leave the server without any problem.
>
> I enabled message tracking and extensive logging to see what was
> happening, and it appears the NDRs get dropped in the BadMail folder as
> the message cannot be delivered. The Application log tells me this is the
> problem:
>
> SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x80070005 in 0ms.
> DestAddr=<domain.net>
> DestType=<SMTP>
> MsgType=0x8
>
> and
>
> The domain 'domain.net' is unreachable.
>
> However, when I send a regular message to a mailaddress in that domain,
> there is no problem getting the message through:
>
> SMTP GetNextHop returned hr=0x0 in 0ms.
> DestAddr=<domain.net>, Type=<SMTP>
> MsgType=0x6, NextHopType=OTHER_ROUTING_GROUP
> Type=<SMTP>, Class=<*>, SchedId=0x0
> RouteAddr=<domain.net>
> Connector=<04fd9517-73a1-442f-9fb5-bb25ecc37156>
>
> In short, regular messages get through, NDRs to the same domain do not.
>
> I've looked at so many things now (transport configuration, SMTP
> configuration, DNS configuration) ran mtacheck and whatnot, but the source
> of this problem eludes me at the moment.
>
> Any insight would be most helpfull. While users can send out regular
> e-mail and valid e-mail does get through, any legitimate sender that uses
> a wrong address does not get an NDR resulting in misunderstandings and
> annoyances.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Rick

Problem linking dll
Hi, I'm having trouble linking a dll that I'm writing with my test program. Both the dll and the program I'm using it with are written in vc++ 6.0. If I use LoadLibrary and GetProc to link to the functions at runtime then it works fine, I can call them and they work. However, I'd like to have my program implicitly link to them when it loads. I've tried using these declarations in the dll header file: #ifdef XXXDLL_EXPORTS extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) BOOL SetX(char* x); extern "C" __declspec(dllexport) int GetX(int x); #else extern "C"...

audio problem
I have a problem with audio private sub playing(Byval somefilename as string) My.Computer.Audio.Play(My.Resources.somefilename,AudioPlayMode.Background) end sub private sub choose if good then playing("wav1.wav") else playing("wav2.wav") end sub wav1.wav and wav2.wav are audio files that I put in resources and good is a boolean variable but in my.comp..... somefilename is not accepted and gives a error Is there a solution? Thanks for any response andrews schrieb: > I have a problem with audio > > private sub playing(Byval somefilename as...

printing problem #4
Hello all, I've made a little pocket book using Publisher. My problem is this, when I print it in black & white it prints fine, all pages. But when I print it in color it misses a page. I have 24 pages in this booklet, as I said all print fine in black & white, but color??? It should print pages 8 and 17 together so when folded they are in the right order, but I cannot get page 17 to print in color. What might I be doing incorrectly? This is my first project with Publisher, so any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Cliff Myers wrote: > Hello all, I've made a ...

COM & MFC problem...
Hi all, I've read this paper from http://www.codeproject.com/com/vbeventswithvc.asp that explain how to handle events from a dll com. All works if I use the example but I've a problem. In my case I've two classes, the first is used to request a report (XmlReport::CreateReport and XmlReport::RequestOnline); the second is used to receive the report (XmlReportTarget::ReportAvailable and XmlReportTarget::ReportError). In the codeproject example the class to make the request and the interface to implement for handle the answer are the same. In my case there are two classes... How can...

clip art problems
I use MS Office 2004 in my Macbook to create newsletters and PP presentations. The clipart is not as plentiful as the prior version of Office, but I've been able to go to the online link to browse and download clips, until recently. Now the downloads won't load into the clipart. And when I drag and drop they don't look right. What happened? and how do I fix it. I run OS 10.4.8 and keep it up to date with software update. I've tried running disk warrior to see if something's wrong , but no change. thanks The clips are downloaded as .cil (MS Clip Gallery Live) files. You sh...

Google Earth Problem
On my old computer with Win XP I could go to Google Earth and use the GE flight simulator. My new computer with Win 7 doesn't seem to work that way. I have downloaded Google Chrome and have a shortcut to Google Earth http://maps.google.com/maps?ftr=earth.promo&hl=en&utm_campaign=en&utm_medium=mapshpp&utm_source=en-mapshpp-na-us-gns-erth&utm_term=evl I have Googled Flight Simulator for GE and they say use Ctrl-Alt -A or Ctrl-Win-A or Ctrl-A but none of those brings up the aircraft ability within Google Earth. Is it Windows 7 that is causing the problem You...

Windows 7 Problem Looking for News Group Recommendation
Not an email problem but would like a recommendation for a good news group re Windows 7 Home Premium. "JohnR" <tooh@cox.net> wrote in message news:eJsb8nf7KHA.5644@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Not an email problem but would like a recommendation for a good news group > re Windows 7 Home Premium. If you are looking for an MS newsgroup then you are out of luck. There's an "Alt" group - full of idiots morons trolls and twits, or there's the new MS web-based forums here: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windows7 ...

Embedded image moved to file problem
Hi All Somebody has sent me an email with embedded/attached images in it, but all of the images appear to be small 2KB snapshots of the original pic icons rather than the actual pics. For example, if I double-click one of these jpgs I get the standard windows jpg icon with the original filename underneath. As if they have done a print screen on the original icons, cut them out and emailed these to me. Thing is they didn't! They just attached the pics to an email and sent it. Only points to note are: a) there is an incredimail smiley gif pic (which has come through OK) so I'm assu...

Outlook 2000 Profiles Problem
I am having a problem where Outlook, from time to time, will not offer me the option of selecting a profile when starting up. It will open the last used profile every time. The only way to gain access to the select profile option at start up is to reboot. This is happening on both my desktop and laptop. Does anyone know what causes this? I am even using the /profiles switch in the shortcut command line. This is because Outlook didn't close properly most likely caused by an add-in. For troubleshooting see; http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/otlookdoesntclose.htm -- Robert Spa...

windows explorer problems
I'm still running XP pro Sp3. 2 annoying problems with Windows explorer are first that when you copy a group of files from one spot to another and it encounters a problem, the whole copy process halts. The second problem is similar but related to deleting files. For this reason I've used 3rd party tools to do much of that sort of thing. My question is has this been fixed in Windows 7? Thanks, Keith I know this is an XP newsgroup but I couldn't find a "7" one and I don't really give a rip about Vista :-). "Keith G Hicks" <krh...

Problem printing to a custom size paper?
I need to print onto an 8 x8 paper. I added the paper size to the printer properties - but the size does not show up when I select paper size in the print option of the document. Does anyone else have this problem? After setting the paper size in the Printer Setup, set the size in the Page Setup, Special Size. -- Don Vancouver USA "Laurvil" <Laurvil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81ED7207-489B-48A9-AA43-FDD5FA65E944@microsoft.com... >I need to print onto an 8 x8 paper. I added the paper size to the printer > properties - but the size does not ...

email problem
We have email problems with several of our clients and customers. To these customers, every time when we email out (using Outlook) with attachments, such as .doc and .pdf and .jpg files. These email was received with one large garble inline text message, but no attachment, by these customers. However, if we send out same email by web based email, such as yahoo or Gmail, the attachments are received OK by the same customers. One major customer is always have this same problem with our email with attachment. They use Gmail by Google. This customer is using web based Gmail browser to receive o...

Hiding columns and custom views problem
Hello: I have defined 6 views in modules that define views. The views are simply hiding or showing columns based on a value in a hidden row. These columns are also grouped in outlines. I am having issues with one of the views which is spitting out the "can't move objects off sheet" error. I already have code in the workbook that autosets the "size with cells" property of inserted comments. Are there some caveats with hiding/showing columns which are grouped? Are there limits to the number of columns that can be manipulated in this way? My sheet has 150 colum...

ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI_RANGE problem
Hi, I have a problem with ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI_RANGE in a CScrollView class. My menu looks like this: M1 - M2 - M3 | D1----Sub1 | |-Sub2 D2 |-Sub3 |-Sub4 So D1 has the "Pop-up" property. It looks like the update event for Sub1-Sub4 is not fired. When I have ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI_RANGE in CMainFrame it works fine. Also ON_UPDATE_COMMAND_UI_RANGE for D1-D2 in CScrolView works fine. I have seen this problem with mfc6 and mfc8. Any ideas? Richard Richard submitted this idea : > Hi, > > I have a problem with O...

CDIalogBar tooltip Problem
Hi I'm having a problem with the tooltip text for a CDialogBar in Visual C++ 6.0. As far as I can see, apart from a few bits and pieces related to docking, the code I'm using is very similar to that used in the CTRLBARS example. In order to display tooltips we've defined a string associated with each control in the form: STRINGTABLE DISCARDABLE BEGIN IDS_DLGBAR_CONTROL "Status bar text\nTooltip text" END However, where the CTRLBARS example displays "Status bar text" in the status bar, and "Tooltip text" in the tooltip, our app displays the stat...

tab control problem
i have a tab control. there are dialogs in each tab. when i press enter in a tab , the dialog in the tab disappears. however, when i go another tab and choose the disappeared tab it is shown again. i guess when the focus is on the dialog in that tab , and the enter is pressed it disappears. how can i prevent disappear of dialogs in the tabs when i press enter? murat murat aydin wrote: > i have a tab control. there are dialogs in each tab. when i press enter in a > tab , the dialog in the tab disappears. however, when i go another tab and > choose the disappeared tab it is shown ...

Two problems: Printing PPM image and accessing the generic Print Preview when using static MFC window
Hi, I can print IPicture objects with no trouble (drawn with Ipicture->render). But when I do it with PPM/PNG drawn with StretchDIBits I can see it on the screen and also in print preview, but the printed page is empty. Is it possible to do it, or can I wrap my BYTE array containing the image into an IPicture pbject and draw it through IPicture->render? I also have trouble with print preview in static MFC DLL. When I click print preview a warning window appears (with an empty string) and I can click OK and it ignores my attempt to open print preview. In debug mode it says there was an a...

SendMessage Question/Problem
I have a dialog box with a toolbar subclassed in it that has a combo box. I have embedded the toolbar in a static control on the dialog box. When an item in the combo box is selected, I am getting the OnSelChange message being triggered in the subclassed tool bar class. I then get the item that was selected and call GetOwner()->SendMessage(WM_NOTIFY......) In the dialog box I have a ON_NOTIFY message command for the IDR_TOOLBAR. when I debug the OnSelChange method in the subclassed toolbar class, I can see it setting up the call, but when I place my cursor and do run to cursor in the O...

Outlook 2002 problem #2
Appointment saved in the Calendar not bold all the time, but the content still in side the date. Congratulations..Is there a ? in there somewhere? "Henry" <qkd@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:023101c35a18$cbc1b350$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Appointment saved in the Calendar not bold all the time, > but the content still in side the date. ...

Public Folder Replication Problem [need help]
I'm 90% done migrating my Exchange 2003 server to new hardware, I'm having trouble finishing this step - replicating the Public Mail Store.. I've added the new server to the replication tab in ESM, the folders are showing up under the new server, and are in sync! However in ESM when I go Administrative Groups -> First Admin Group -> Folders -> Public Folders, there is a list here.. this list is what shows on Outlook clients under "public folders".. when I right click this folder and say Connect to.. and select the new server's public mail store, I get ...

Custom user function sheet recalculate problem #2
Hi All, I have a custom user function called in many cells in my spreadshee much like -=getdata(ref1,ref2)- which works great! Within this functio a call is made to an SQL database to retrieve one piece information an return it to the spreadsheet. Althought it seems really quick for on cell its obviously a major overhead for many cells. Currently 100 cell updates takes about 15 secs which is actually not bad when it happening only once. However we will run large and complicate spreadsheets with perhaps many times more data being refreshe regularly in different ways. What I want to achive ...

CListBox::create problem
Hello, My application crashes when calling this method in OnInitDialog() . Could you tell me what is the problem? Here what i do: BOOL CPCM_ViewDlg::OnInitDialog() { [generated code...] // TODO: Add extra initialization here m_DeviceList.Create ( WS_VISIBLE | LBS_NOINTEGRALHEIGHT | WS_VSCROLL | WS_HSCROLL | WS_TABSTOP, CRect(7,10,241,168), this, IDC_LIST1 ); } m_DeviceList is a member of CPCM_ViewDlg. Thanking you in advance Are you calling it after the call to base class CDialog::OnInitDialog(); ? It should be something like BOOL YourDi...

problem with money 2000
hi at all... i try to install ms money 2000 (standard edition) and when it finish if i try launch the program answer me about a problem with the view of microsoft contract (eula error). i tryed to find something about this in the microsoft web page but i did'nt find something... pls help me!!! In microsoft.public.money, theSPOT wrote: >i try to install ms money 2000 (standard edition) and when it finish if i >try launch the program answer me about a problem with the view of microsoft >contract (eula error). > >i tryed to find something about this in the microsoft web ...

Sales for Outlook Install problem
I am trying to install the Sales for Outlook on a client machine and it gives me this error: "An error has occured prematurely" This error happens right at the end of the install, and then proceeds to roll back the installation. This is a Windows XP SP1 machine with Office 2000. Office Service Pack 3 has been applied as well as the special outlook fixpack. The account is set up with local administrator authority. According to the documentation, everything should be fine as far as prereq's are concerned. I did notice that this machine has the db2 runtime client o...

Problems creating Workbook Connection programatically
Why do I get a "Runtime error 5. Invalid procedure call or argument" error with the code below? We're trying to create our connections programatically. This is called in the Workbook_Open event. Sub CreateNewConnection() Dim objConn As WorkbookConnection Dim connstr As String Dim cmdText As String connstr = "ODBC;DRIVER={Advantage StreamlineSQL ODBC};DataDirectory=C:\GC\JOSH;SERVER=OurDBServer; _ CharSet=ANSI;DefaultType=Advantage;Rows=False;AdvantageLocking=ON;Locking=Record; _ MemoBlockSize=64;MaxTableCloseCache=5;ServerTypes=6...