Naming new server - cname implications?

Cana anyone tell me if there are any implication with Exchange 2003 with
having the server physically named "xyz.company.com" and having a cname in
the internal dns that point "mail.company.com" to "xyz.company.com"?

I'd sooner not have to have users needing to know the specific name of the
server they need (whether using pop3/imap/smtp/webmail) but I don't know if
using an alias is likely to cause problems?

TIA,
Paul
0
paul9912 (95)

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 02:56:43 -0800, Paul Hutchings <paul@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Cana anyone tell me if there are any implication with Exchange 2003 with
>having the server physically named "xyz.company.com" and having a cname in
>the internal dns that point "mail.company.com" to "xyz.company.com"?
>
>I'd sooner not have to have users needing to know the specific name of the
>server they need (whether using pop3/imap/smtp/webmail) but I don't know if
>using an alias is likely to cause problems?
>
>TIA,
>Paul

That should be ok.  the mapi profile should resolve itself to the
correct mail server name and the pop3/imap stuff should work as well.
Test it out!

0
adavid (8731)
1/27/2006 1:56:46 PM
That's OK, just try it.

Ray

"Paul Hutchings" <paul@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Cana anyone tell me if there are any implication with Exchange 2003 with
> having the server physically named "xyz.company.com" and having a cname in
> the internal dns that point "mail.company.com" to "xyz.company.com"?
>
> I'd sooner not have to have users needing to know the specific name of the
> server they need (whether using pop3/imap/smtp/webmail) but I don't know
> if
> using an alias is likely to cause problems?
>
> TIA,
> Paul

0
ray7137 (127)
1/27/2006 2:01:12 PM
That's probably the way most out there already are.

--
Phillip Windell [MCP, MVP, CCNA]
www.wandtv.com

"Paul Hutchings" <paul@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> Cana anyone tell me if there are any implication with Exchange 2003 with
> having the server physically named "xyz.company.com" and having a cname in
> the internal dns that point "mail.company.com" to "xyz.company.com"?
>
> I'd sooner not have to have users needing to know the specific name of the
> server they need (whether using pop3/imap/smtp/webmail) but I don't know
if
> using an alias is likely to cause problems?
>
> TIA,
> Paul

0
Phillip
1/27/2006 2:08:58 PM
Andy David - MVP <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in

> That should be ok.  the mapi profile should resolve itself to the
> correct mail server name and the pop3/imap stuff should work as well.
> Test it out!

I'd love to.  Unfortunately it's something I overlooked and now the new
hardware is here and I need to get on with it.  I could simply call the box
XYZ and make the users use that name, but for obvious reasons letting them
simply remember "mail" would be nicer.

Paul
0
paul9912 (95)

Name cells before sort
Hi everyone I've a long list of clients, all with values. I have to count and sum them all but first i have to name them all. I'd like, if possible, to do a sort first and name it all and then put the list back how it was, but i loose the reference of the names. Any ideas? Tks in advance Pedro Hi Pedro, Try using a pivot table to summarize your data. For more help see: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot...

message to bounce between two Exchange 5.5 and 2003 servers
I have one recipient whose mail box is on an Exchange 5.5. Only this recipient from this server is not able to receive any emails sent from people on the Exchange 2003. The error code # 5.4.6 is generated which states: "A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients" Any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Exchange 2003 new domain adding
I have a domain (abc.com). I just purchased another one (xyz.com) and I need to create all the users under this new domain. If I have a user as mark@abc.com, I also need the user to be mark@xyz.com How can I do this? Is it possible that once I have the second domain created with all the users to forward the emails coming to to @abc.com to go to xyz.com? Thanks Manolo after you get your MX record in place, add a new recipient policy... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/268838/en-us -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Manolo" <Manolo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83EC4...

New user dosn't show up in GAB
I have created a new user and wanted to setup his outlook. It did not accept his name. Then i checked the GAB and it's not listed. The new user is not invisible, and i could access his mailbox via OWA. We have recently upgraded to exchange 2003 but it's not in 2003 mode, it's still in 2000 2003 mix mode. The original server has been shutdown, it was a windows 2000 server DC with GC and it had exchange 2000 and all the mailboxes. This is the error from my event log. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9562 Date: 2/21/2005 Time: ...

How do you create a list with name address phone in a column form.
I have an excel file with last name, first address city state in each column. I want to prepare a two column report with each persons name first then address then phone. Can't remember how to print out a different view of excel. Making it look more like a two column word document. Maybe you can use MSWord's MailMerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. denise108 wrote: > > I have an excel file with last name, first address city state ...

E-mail Display names
When writing a new e-mail, I select a contact in my contacts list, the display name does not match the contact. In the contacts file john_smith@abc.com shows a display name of "John Smith", but when I select this contact using the "To:" button, the display name comes up as "John Smith (Business fax)", or "John Smith (john_smith@abc.com)" Nowhere in the contact file does the above items show up. How do I correct this? Please remember that no one can answer Outlook questions when you fail to provide even basic information such as your version. --...

Tracking Attachment File Names
Why is Outlook 2003 so reluctant to expose details of attachments to the user. I would like to be able to search for, view, and print a report that targets the file names of attachments. The attachment file name only appears on a printed message if the message is formatted as plain text. Even then, the file name is only fully displayed if it is not too long to fit in the space allocated. As for being able to search for a file name, to see which message(s) contained that attachment, that just seems too hard. Utilities that strip attachments from messages and then insert a text string in th...

is there a "File name" function in ms Excel (2002)
Hi Anyone know of any msExcel function that will give the name of the current file? To be honest I want if for printout purposes because I am trying to avoid the custom header etc (which seems difficult/impossible to format) Shiphen Shiperton Henethe One way =LEFT(MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255),FIND(".", MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("[",CELL("filename",A1))+1,255))+3) can be put in any cell if you want the full path =SUBSTITUTE(LEFT(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",...

Show Names drop down box not working
I recently graduated to Office 2003 and I'm having a problem I don't know how to get around. I want to send this email to a large number of people, so I want to select several names from one of my contacts folders. But it won't let me. Here are the steps I'm going through: From the Mail Screen, New, To, then I want to click on the "Show Names from the" drop down box, but it won't let me. When I click on the drop down arrow, nothing happens. I have used Outlook in its various versions for years and have always used this feature. These files were imported fr...

Money Bug 03/04: Stock Changes it's name but Maoney wont let that happen.
I have seen this in Money 2003 and now 2004. A company, such as DELL changes it's name but not is it symbol. When I download transactions Money asks if the new name is the same investment as the old name (obviously it is as they have the same symbol). I say yes it is the same. Money asks "Are You Sure Dell Computers is the same as Dell Inc". Regardless of how I answer this confirm It asks the first question again, and again and again and again until I admit that Dell Inc is NOT Dell Computer. Only then can I continue the reconcile. Every time I upgrade I wish I did not. I...

Invoice Number should be the name of file on pdf
When printing an invoice to a pdf format, or emailing the invoice, the system should automatically prompt you to name it as the invoice number, not "SOP Blank Document.pdf". ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesss...

no autoupdater in new macbook with new office install,
Hello ... I am new to Macs so I hope the answer to this isn't obvious. Just purchased Macbook. About this Mac says Mac OS X Version 10.4.9 I tested the Office:Mac test drive then purchased it. Before installing I uninstalled as instructed, then did a custom installation but chose to install everything. No problems - everything running fine etc. When I click on Check for Updates in the Help Menu it says Autoupdate isn't installed - do I want to install it now. I click yes ... but it says There Was an Error Installing Autoupdate So I searched and haven't found an definitive an...

product key not working with new computer
Setting up new computer and the product key code is not being recognized. I have installed everything else with no problems. When I got to ABOUT in the program the product id is blank. This is an upgrade version but I've installed Expression Web from upgrade version with no trouble. Is this a Publisher question or EW question? Expression is not a "upgrade" by the normal definition of "upgrade" - previous version is required. If your Publisher program IS an upgrade you will need a previous version or a qualifying product available prior to installing the upgrade...

How to set new default for plot area settings
Hi, In Excel 2003, how do I set new default value for plot area to Automatic? Now the default is custom, and background colour one that I do not want. I can change the plot area to automatic for a chart I have created, but would like to change the default value so, that whenever creating a new chart, it would have Plot area settings "Border" and "Area" set as automatic. Obviously it should be done within the template Book.xlt, but how? Hi, You can format a chart and store it as a user defined chart type, which can also be set as the default. http://pubs.logicalexp...

Double click to open form and create new record
Hi team, Have scoured all of the posts and tried several different things for days but just can't seem to nut this one out. I have a form (FrmSeedBankStockAvailable) in datasheet view that lists seed lots by BatchID. I want to be able to double click on the record selector for a particular batch and have a form (DialogSeedBankWithdrawal) open so that I can make a new withdrawal entry, with the BatchID already entered from the selected record. I know that to do this I need to use the forms' DblClick property. I have been using the following code (and tried variations of from...

New User Login error
We're running GP9.0 on SQL Server 2005. For our ODBC connection, we're already making use of SQL Native Client. As for the server name of the said odbc, we made use of the server instance name instead for the server IP. During user creation, the only option selected is enable password policy and the other checkboxes are unmarked - change password upon first login and expiry option. The problem is everytime a new user is created we get the message saying Unable to Login,Please contact your administrator. The only way that the user will be able to login is to change the password...

New created storage group wasn't displayed
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 on Server 2003. I created a new storage group and then I tried to add a user's mailbox to the new group, but there is only First Storage Group in the Mailbox Store box. The new created storage group didn't show up. Please advice. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Lisa how long ago? did you create a mailbox store in the new SG? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE4B6E9F-AFEB-4F19-B7B0-2FA0EBF3B4B4@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have Exchange 2003 on Server 2003...

Naming a Macro with a Letter
I have saved a series of macros to use in a workbook, but Excel will not allow me to name a macro "C." I have used lots of other letters with no problem, but when I name a macro "C" it tells me that it is an invalid name. Is there any way around this? If not, what is the reasoning behind it? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I use xl2003 and I could name a macro "C". But I couldn't run it via tools|macro|macros... I could write if I specified the module it was in (just typing: module1.c, then clicking Run was sufficient). In fact, if I c...

Adding the users name to a new list item
Is there a way to create a list so that when the logged in user creates a new item, it automatically insert's their user name into a column? I'm creating a time entry list, and don't want the users to have to type their name in every time they add a time record. The controller will review this list once a week and create reports based on the user, client, etc. Thanks in advance! Gavin Use the Created by column. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "Gavin Steiner" <gavin@interprom.com> wrote in mes...

#NAME? Error On The First tjree Choices In An IF Statement
Greetings, I have a formula that is looking at the contents of another cell and choosing one of three letters to display. It is giving me #NAME? error on the first three choices and the correct blank output ("") for the last choice. The cells in column G are looking at the results in column F, which is looking for either a number or not a number in column C. The formula's are as follows: C4 - A number or text F4 - =IF(NOT(ISNUMBER(C4)),,IF(C4=0,"No Service","Hour Service")) G4 - =IF(F4="Hour Service - S",S,IF(F4="Hour Service - B&quo...

Creating new table columns and maintaining joins in another query
Hi, I have a table with alot of account information. However, to report on certain accounts, I have to manipulate a few of the column data and create a new column with the correct information. Once I have this new column, I do another query and get the information that I need out of that new column. The problem is when I'm querying from that new column, I'm join'ing that information to another column of information and it works the way I want it to work. But when I get more data, I have to run the original script that manipulates the data and creates a new column, agai...

Changing Names of Multiple Cell Link Ranges
I have a series of drop down boxes created with the Forms menu. The cell link range for each dropdown is different, as follows: Cell Link Box1 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp1 Cell Link Box2 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp2 Cell Link Box3 = DemandBase_A_UndistExp3 Cell Link Box...n = DemandBase_A_UndistExp...n I want to change them all at once to: DemandBase_A_OtherCost1 DemandBase_A_OtherCost2 DemandBase_A_OtherCost... I know I can change the entire name using the following code: Sub Change_Drop_Link() For Each bx In ActiveSheet.DropDowns If bx.LinkedCell = "DemandBase_A_UndistExp1" Then ...

Import "tab name" to cells
Hi. Is there a way to import the name of each tab to each worksheet? I'm creating a rather large worksheet and each workpaper needs to have the name of tab listed at the top. Please help!! Instead of using the Header/Footer option, I need to show the name of each tab in, for example, cell A1 of each w/b. Thanks. >-----Original Message----- >What do you mean? >You want to print them? > >"Stan" <stanyoo@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht >news:8db601c35b60$0b56c5d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... >> Hi. >> >> Is there a way to import the name of each ...

Crazy DST Outlook Problem
I hope someone can help me because this is driving me up a wall! For DST 2007 I have patched all clients(XP), servers(2003 SP1) and exchange (back end and OWA 2003 SP2). Rather than distribute the Outlook Tool for the calendars I instructed users to reschedule recurring meetings after the patch was applied. All is well with MOST users (about 245 out of 250). I have verified the patch is working on the other 5 but............. Here is the Problem: For 5 users, meetings for which they are invited, are not being scheduled at the correct time. There are 2 different scenarios that can occ...

Virtual Server
I would like to understand better exactly what I am looking at on the Current Sessions tab on the VS. I see connections, which when I perform a whois lookup, that are out of the country. I place them on the Deny list located on the VS connections control. Should I be concerned about these connections and if so, how can I prevent them without having to check Current Sessions daily? Thanks for the help. -- DLove On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 08:27:02 -0700, dlove106 <dlove106@yahoo.com.donotspam> wrote: >I would like to understand better exactly what I am looking at on the Current >...