MX/Smart Host/SMTP Address Space scenarios

By http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294736, we
understand that unlike Exchange 5.5 you don't have to create SMTP connectors
unless you're interested in servicing certain conditions, such as SMTP
address spaces.

For the most part, we don't need anything special, we forward everything to
a smart host except for about 15 domains.

You can configure every SMTP virtual server to forward all its SMTP mail to
a smart host.

--is it correct to assume that this means for all domains except your
internal, or will it force the smart host to accept everything you're
sending to other users in your internal domain?

--if you configure every SMTP virtual server to forward to the smart host,
but also set up an SMTP connector with a dedicated address space, will the
virtual servers ignore the connector and still forward all that dedicated
mail to the smart host?

0
guppy413 (82)

Internal emails would never go out of your exchange server. whther you
use smart host or DNS it would never desitned to reach outside world if
email is generated internally to an internal user. Perfectly explained
in Microsoft Messaging Architecture.

Well the second question isnt clear enough.

0
anwar (10)
9/12/2005 4:31:40 PM
Defining SmartHosts on SMTP Virtual Servers can have unintended
consequences.  I believe we saw some posts last week that involved mail
loops related to this.

If you are going to configure a Smart host, it is in virtually all cases
better to do so with an SMTP Connector. The other upside is that instead of
configuring a Smart host on EVERY server, you end up only creating 2 SMTP
connectors (1 for * - smarthost defined, 2nd with 15 specific domains that
do not get forwarded).

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Guppy" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> By http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294736, we
> understand that unlike Exchange 5.5 you don't have to create SMTP
> connectors unless you're interested in servicing certain conditions, such
> as SMTP address spaces.
>
> For the most part, we don't need anything special, we forward everything
> to a smart host except for about 15 domains.
>
> You can configure every SMTP virtual server to forward all its SMTP mail
> to a smart host.
>
> --is it correct to assume that this means for all domains except your
> internal, or will it force the smart host to accept everything you're
> sending to other users in your internal domain?
>
> --if you configure every SMTP virtual server to forward to the smart host,
> but also set up an SMTP connector with a dedicated address space, will the
> virtual servers ignore the connector and still forward all that dedicated
> mail to the smart host?

0
Ben
9/12/2005 5:22:16 PM
"Guppy" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote:

>By http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294736, we
>understand that unlike Exchange 5.5 you don't have to create SMTP connectors
>unless you're interested in servicing certain conditions, such as SMTP
>address spaces.
>
>For the most part, we don't need anything special, we forward everything to
>a smart host except for about 15 domains.
>
>You can configure every SMTP virtual server to forward all its SMTP mail to
>a smart host.

Don't do that. Use a SMTP Connector. You'll thank yourself later.

>--is it correct to assume that this means for all domains except your
>internal, or will it force the smart host to accept everything you're
>sending to other users in your internal domain?
>
>--if you configure every SMTP virtual server to forward to the smart host,
>but also set up an SMTP connector with a dedicated address space, will the
>virtual servers ignore the connector and still forward all that dedicated
>mail to the smart host?

Create two SMTP Connectors. One, with an address space value of "*",
that uses your smarthost. The other, with address space values of the
15 domain, should use DNS.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Another reason why I did not want an SMTP connector is I am afraid it could
muss up the incoming Internet Mail headers and put in its own headers. There
are some very good reasons that we don't want that to happen.

I know the SMTP connector is for servicing Outbound mail but won't it have
some effect on the Internet headers of the Inbound mail too?

Many thanks

> "Guppy" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>By http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294736, we
>>understand that unlike Exchange 5.5 you don't have to create SMTP
>>connectors
>>unless you're interested in servicing certain conditions, such as SMTP
>>address spaces.
>>
>>For the most part, we don't need anything special, we forward everything
>>a smart host except for about 15 domains.
>>
>>You can configure every SMTP virtual server to forward all its SMTP mail
>>a smart host.
>
> Don't do that. Use a SMTP Connector. You'll thank yourself later.
>
>>--is it correct to assume that this means for all domains except your
>>internal, or will it force the smart host to accept everything you're
>>sending to other users in your internal domain?
>>
>>--if you configure every SMTP virtual server to forward to the smart host,
>>but also set up an SMTP connector with a dedicated address space, will the
>>virtual servers ignore the connector and still forward all that dedicated
>>mail to the smart host?
>
> Create two SMTP Connectors. One, with an address space value of "*",
> that uses your smarthost. The other, with address space values of the
> 15 domain, should use DNS.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

guppy413 (82)
9/13/2005 2:45:58 PM
No.  SMTP  Connectors ONLY service outbound mail.  They do not touch inbound
mail.

Understand that when you configure an SMTP Connector, it is still using the
Default SMTP Virtual Server to actually deliver the messages.  You are
simply defining settings of how to act on the messages (i.e. smarthost, TLS,
other restrictions).

--

> Thanks all.
>
> Another reason why I did not want an SMTP connector is I am afraid it
> could muss up the incoming Internet Mail headers and put in its own
> headers. There are some very good reasons that we don't want that to
> happen.
>
> I know the SMTP connector is for servicing Outbound mail but won't it have
> some effect on the Internet headers of the Inbound mail too?
>
> Many thanks
>

> "Rich Matheisen [MVP]" <richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
>> "Guppy" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>By http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;294736, we
>>>understand that unlike Exchange 5.5 you don't have to create SMTP
>>>connectors
>>>unless you're interested in servicing certain conditions, such as SMTP
>>>address spaces.
>>>
>>>For the most part, we don't need anything special, we forward everything
>>>a smart host except for about 15 domains.
>>>
>>>You can configure every SMTP virtual server to forward all its SMTP mail
>>>a smart host.
>>
>> Don't do that. Use a SMTP Connector. You'll thank yourself later.
>>
>>>--is it correct to assume that this means for all domains except your
>>>internal, or will it force the smart host to accept everything you're
>>>sending to other users in your internal domain?
>>>
>>>--if you configure every SMTP virtual server to forward to the smart
>>>host,
>>>but also set up an SMTP connector with a dedicated address space, will
>>>the
>>>virtual servers ignore the connector and still forward all that dedicated
>>>mail to the smart host?
>>
>> Create two SMTP Connectors. One, with an address space value of "*",
>> that uses your smarthost. The other, with address space values of the
>> 15 domain, should use DNS.
>>
>> --
>> Rich Matheisen
>> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
>> MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm
>> Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott@getronics.com

0
Ben
9/13/2005 2:53:07 PM
"Guppy" <guppy413@junk.hotmail.com> wrote:

>Another reason why I did not want an SMTP connector is I am afraid it could
>muss up the incoming Internet Mail headers and put in its own headers. There
>are some very good reasons that we don't want that to happen.
>
>I know the SMTP connector is for servicing Outbound mail but won't it have
>some effect on the Internet headers of the Inbound mail too?

No, it won't.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Syncing 2 different WM Smart phones with separate info with one PC
Hi How can I set up Outlook 2003 so that two separate users can work with their individual calendars, contacts, tasks and sync only their info into their respective Windows Mobile 5.0 phones? One user is coming from the Palm OS. That info was successfully imported into outlook using intellisync lite. A separate profile was setup for the second user. The problem is that one profile has multiple calendars, contacts and tasks, and I can not tell what will sync to where. HELP! Thank You ...

Having 2 SMTP Accounts from the same MX Record
A customer who is part of a Group wants to have its IT requirements looked after locally and not part of the group as present. They currently access the email via leased line to the SMTP Server that is hosted in the Group HQ. They want to keep the existing domain name after they break contact from the group on the new Exchange server we will be installing locally. Is there a way to have this done without modifying the MX record for the group email domain and IT admin in the group HQ will if required allow forwarding Regards Mark ok not sure what you want but here is a way. when you ...

SMTP Server
Dumb question, but how does one increase the timeout for the Outlook SMTP server? It's easy in Pegasus, for instance, because one can actually set the timeout for each identity within the program. Appreciate any help. TIA russel-rstevenageatyahoodotcom Microsoft(R) Outlook(R) 2000 SP-3 (9.0.0.6627) Thanks russel neo [mvp outlook] wrote: > What version of Outlook are you using? (See help | about ms outlook) > > "NoSpam" <noSpam@all.pl> wrote in message > news:OOUxgYhYDHA.3248@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > >>Dumb question, but how does one increa...

Mail not getting through to users, smtp address missing
SBS 2003 EXCHANGE 2003 Hello, a user of mine has not been getting mail through to him and we noticed that the mail has all been getting redirected to the administrator (thats the way we have it set on the server when mail has no recipient). Thing is when I look in AD users and computers at the users email addresses he has the below smtp addresses: - mike.d@domain.com mike.done@domain.com miked@domain.com mike@domain.com but when I look in Outlook 2003 at the address book and the properties of the user I can only see the below smtp addresses: - mike.d@domain.com mike.done@domain.com ...

Problem with Email Addresses in Our Domain
Exchange Server 2003. We just moved our entire organization's email from an outside server to our own Exchange Server. We used to be able to send email to recipients of the form "first.last@goodnewsjail.org" or "first.last@mail.goodnewsjail.org." Now when folks send to @mail.goodnewsjail.org, their messages get stuck forever in the "mail.goodnewsjail.org" queue. The queue never empties. What do I need to do so that people can use either @goodnewsjail.org or @mail.goodnewsjail.org on their recipient addresses? Thanks for the help. -- Dr. Doug Prui...

Question about contact list(s) and address book(s)
Outlook 2002 Windows XP I am having some problems with getting my contacts to sort the way I want them to. When I say "contacts" I am referring to the window that opens should one click on the "To..." button when composing an email. I profess that I find many of Outlooks features confusing, so I don't know if Contacts and Address Book are different things or are the same thing. In any event, I have quite a large contacts list for email purposes. Many of them are fellow employees where I work, but most aren't. What I would like to do is have all of the people ...

Outlook says that my e-mail address is invalid but it is NOT inval
I am using Microsoft Outlook in Microsoft Office XP. I complete the form to add my e-mail address to Outlook, and when I click "Test Account Settings", it says that my e-mail address is not valid but I checked and re-wrote it about 5 times and it still says that. I KNOW THAT MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IS VALID, BUT THE COMPUTER SAYS THAT IT ISN'T. ** Please reply me at computerboy72005@gmail.com What email address are you using? "Denis" <Denis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F57C596D-58F6-47C1-B660-34C31EBB6F33@microsoft.com... >I am using Micr...

Q on MSExchange.org 'Hosting Multiple SMTP Domains on Exchange 2000"
Hi, Exchange 2K Following the example in the article, if I add 456.com to the default recipient policy, then a user who is currently tom.jones@123.com is also going to get mail for tom.jones@456.com, is that right? If so, what if there is another Tom Jones at 456.com and you want *him* to receive it? Even just to avoid confusion, I would rather my primary domain users not also have addresses for the other 3 domains we host. Do the other SMTP addresses have to be in the default policy or could they be in another, filtered one? Thanks, Peter You can create a separate Recipient Policy tha...

How to find server address
I connect to my works mail server through a direct adsl connection an all works fine. At home i have a wifi setup and the connection take ages to log on through the wifi setup. I think reading the messages in other groups that the outlook progra is struggling to find the server, i think the solution will be to pu the server ip address and name in the host file, but i dont know wher i can find the ip address of the server, it department dont want t know, is there any way to get this information easily when i am logge on through the direct adsl connection. Many Thanks Chri ------------------...

Multiple Exchange SMTP virtual servers
We have a problem with an unstable link between 2 of our Exchange 2000 SP3 servers and would like to extend the timeouts for messages transmitted across this connection. We would like to try using a secondary smtp virtual server to achieve this but we are having some issues with this. Our Exchange network setup is as follows There are 5 routing routing groups UK-HUB, HKG-HUB, SINGAPORE, TOKYO, HCM, There are the routing group connectors (RGC) UK-HUB to/from HKG-HUB, HKG-HUB to/from SINGAPORE, HKG-HUB to/from TOKYO and HKG-HUB to/from HCM All RGC have cost of 1 HKG to HCM has unstable li...

Multiple personal address books
Hello, The boss has imported several old email profiles and in the process managed to add several "Contacts" links in the Outlook address book drop down menu. Only 1 of the Contacts has anything in it, and it is loaded with not only legitimate contacts but duplicates of these with quotation marks around them causing those addresses not to function. Any ideas on how to clean this up? Thank you all!!! Kathy ...

Remote SMTP server has rejected address
I am getting the following message when sending an email to two different recipients, this has never happened before or with anyone else. Any help would be great Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address Diagnostic code: smtp;550 Blocked Post the complete (verbatim) error if you need assistance. B. roma wrote: > I am getting the following message when sending an email to two different > recipients, this has never happened before or with anyone else. > Any help would be great > > Reason: Remote SMTP server has rejected address > Diagnostic code: smt...

how to know the cell address in point units.
hi, i am using ,expression.AddShape(Type, Left, Top, Width, Height) Left, Top are point units,how to make the shape exactly in the place of an aimed cell. or to say, how to know the cell address in point units. thank you. No need to know the exact coordinates: With Range("J1") ActiveSheet.Shapes.AddShape _ Type:=msoShapeSmileyFace, _ Left:=.Left, _ Top:=.Top, _ Width:=.Width, _ Height:=.Height End With In article <eHmJTYjjEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "EXCEL�@NEWS&quo...

Cannot view contacts or public folders in outlook address book
Hi, I have Exchange Server 2003 (data migrated from SBS 2000 to SBS 2003 using a clean install of SBS 2003) and when I go to the Exchange Admin -> Recipients->All Address Lists ->All Contacts and hit "Preview" then it lists all the contacts I have set up in Active Directory. Similarly for ->Public folders. However, if I go to Outlook Address book and choose All Address Lists->All Contacts then no contacts are shown and if I go to Public folders most are shown but some are missing. I suspect a permissions problem but have checked the permissions on two public ...

Printing Shipping Addresses
I'd Like to be able to print a customer's shipping addresses. Is there a solution to help facilitate this? Thanks, Jay Jay, If you are interested in custom solution please drop a email. regards, Manick manick.m@hotmail.com "Jay" wrote: > I'd Like to be able to print a customer's shipping addresses. Is there a > solution to help facilitate this? > > Thanks, > Jay Jay, A good solution would be to connect Word to the database. From there you can do a single label or a mail merge to due multiple. -- Thank you, Ryan Sakry Program Manager Ret...

Slow outbound mail stuck in Queue, Using SMTP Connector (Smart Host)
Thanks in advance for the assistance. I have exchange 2003 running. I use a 3rd party app to scan e-mail. I use the smtp connector forward all e-mail going outbound to be scanned. On the firewall side i also setup rules to forward it to my 3rd party app. I have spoke to my spam gateway support people and have tried many things. I dont think its the gateway but it is my exchange that is at fault currently. No errors on the NICS occur on both sides (Exchange and Spam Gateway). We have re-installed the Spam gateway and also installed a different version of it and it still stays stuck in my out...

email address format
I ran into a problem that I cannot find documentation for. I created a distribution list in the format !name@domain.com I realized that Exchange 2003 would not accept internet email to that address when the exclamation mark is the first character in the email address. Can someone confirm that is the case or some weird bug? Thanks. ...

Contact List does not recognize Address Book
I recently upgraded to a new computer. I transferred all of my Outlook information by exporting and importing the .pst files to the new computer. Both old and new machines use Outlook 2002 (old version from Office XP Pro, new from Office XP Students & Teachers, don't know if that makes any difference). When I click on the "To:" button, I get the following message: "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For informa...

smtp error -very ciritical
When i try to send mail to particular domain i receive following smtp error msg, i am able to receive mails from that domain but unable to send mails to that domain There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <exhange.abc.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 unknown user> Pls provide solution to sort this issue "sathish kumar nair" <sathishkumarnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C39C72C-F1F5-4A79-9590-BF01D42E1692@microsoft.com... > When i try to send mail to particular...

SHOW Customer ADDRESS in Customer FIND WINDOW?
Is there a way to show customer street address in the FIND customer lookup window. Our business is address based, and verifying we are not adding a address that already exists is important. Are there any add on's ? -- RMS 1.3, MSDE 3 Lanes, 5 Back Office Clients XP sp2 Server 2003 sp1 Domain Static IP Hi, We have an add on which displays all fields for customer and also allows you to search on these fields. If you register on www.rmsstore.com, you will be able to download the add on, Thanks "DDowningMO" wrote: > Is there a way to show customer street address ...

IMF and other SMTP service
I have an exchange 2003 sitting on one box and i have another SMTP service sitting on another. this SMTP service is being used by the website to send out emails. The problem is everytime i send to this SMTP service, my exchange 2003 IMF blocks and put it in my UCEArchive. IS there anyway i can prevent this? please help. thanks in advance. In Exchange 2003 ESM... Open Global Settings... Message Delivery. Choose Properties Choose the Connection Filtering tab Add the IP address of the sending SMTP server on the Accept button. This builds a system-wide accept rule for that IP address. If y...

How do I send emails showing my email address but hiding my name ?
I know it can be done cause I had it set up that way when I first opened my email account several years ago. A friend didn't believe it was me emailing him so I set it to show my name. Now it has been so long I forgot how to set it back. Can anyone help me with this please & thank you! Remove your name in the Mail Setup -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Baffled Chic-a-dee" <Baffled Chic-a-dee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:455AD3E0-8...

Renaming the Global Address List?
Is there a way to rename the Global Address List? So that when users open up the address list in Outlook see something like "XYZ Company Address LIst" instead of getting confused by the "Global" list? Thanks I'm not sure you can rename the default GAL but you could work around that: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822940/en-us Nue "TheTechie" <TheTechie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B48253CF-A86B-40EE-BFEC-0AC37AE2E332@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to rename the Global Address List? So that when users open > up > t...

One exchange - two domains
Hi folks, I have one scenario that I need some help with. Hope you can give me some tips. One exchange server that is hosting two domains (a.com & b.com). Today, users at a.com and b.com can see each other address books. They don't wan't to see each other's address book. It is also possible that they will buy another company, that will get on the same floor and use the same computer system. Then we have problem with a, b and c.com. So, my question to the gurus out there is: How can I config the exchange only to let users a,b,c,d, see addressbook for the domain a.com, a...

double-spacing
Hello there, I have word 2007. I need to have double spacing in between paragraphs, and single space in paragraph lines. Is there any way to do that? Go to the Paragraph Format panel (Home tab, Paragraph group, arrow at the bottom right corner) and set Line Spacing to Single (or to Exactly some number) and Space After to some amount that looks right (or to the same amount that you put under Exactly). Better yet, do this in the Paragraph Style you use for your basic text. (Ctrl-Alt-Shift-S, right-click on the name of the style you're using, choose Modify, then Format at the b...