Multiple Exchange boxes in one domain

Hi all,

I have the following setup for my domain:

HQ:
Server 2003
Exchange 2003

We have a branch office located on another industrial estate 1/2 mile
away, and we currently connect to them via WiFi (11Mb) and they are in
the same domain and subnet as us.

I am looking to add a second exchange box at their site so they can get
their mail "locally".  When I look at setting it up tho ot seems that
exchange will still send the messages across the WiFi due to there only
being 1 MX record?  Is there a way I can get them to recive their mail
directly over their own Broadband link?

Also I am looking to get them set up on a seperate subnet but cannot
decide the best route:

1 - Different subnet with their own DC running DNS, DHCP
2 - Different subnet with a DHCP relay setup

I am also looking to setup DFS due to the fact that the branch office
stores files on a server at HQ.  This can be time consuming due to the
restrictions of bandwidth over the WiFi.  Can I get DFS to replicate
the relevant folders to a server at the branch office so they can get
access "locally"

Any help greatly appreciated

cheers

Dom

If you install a second Exchange Server in that location but make it part of
the same Exchange organization, Exchange will figure out how to send mail
between the servers.  No MX record is necessary.  If you put the two servers
in separate routing groups, which sounds appropriate given your
infrastructure, you'll need to create a routing group connector between
them.

I recommend putting a GC in the same location as the Exchange server.  If
your WiFi link were to go down and there were no GC available, the remote
Exchange server would quit working.  If you use Active Direcotry-integrated
DNS, then I would go ahead and make it a DNS server as well.

As to DFS, you should post that question to an appropriate newsgroup.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"The Sheriff" <dominic@michaelsheridan.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I have the following setup for my domain:
>
> HQ:
> Server 2003
> Exchange 2003
>
> We have a branch office located on another industrial estate 1/2 mile
> away, and we currently connect to them via WiFi (11Mb) and they are in
> the same domain and subnet as us.
>
> I am looking to add a second exchange box at their site so they can get
> their mail "locally".  When I look at setting it up tho ot seems that
> exchange will still send the messages across the WiFi due to there only
> being 1 MX record?  Is there a way I can get them to recive their mail
> directly over their own Broadband link?
>
> Also I am looking to get them set up on a seperate subnet but cannot
> decide the best route:
>
> 1 - Different subnet with their own DC running DNS, DHCP
> 2 - Different subnet with a DHCP relay setup
>
> I am also looking to setup DFS due to the fact that the branch office
> stores files on a server at HQ.  This can be time consuming due to the
> restrictions of bandwidth over the WiFi.  Can I get DFS to replicate
> the relevant folders to a server at the branch office so they can get
> access "locally"
>
> Any help greatly appreciated
>
> cheers
>
> Dom

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/23/2005 4:20:55 PM
Hi, Ed

Thanks for replying

What do you mean by seperate routing groups and why would it be
appropriate?

Would the routing group mean that mails sent to certain recipients get
routed to the different server automatically rather than by Exchange
server 1 passing the mail on to Exchange server 2?

Cheers

Dom

If you have two routing groups, the Exchange servers in each routing group
need a routing group connector to send mail to each other.
--

> Hi, Ed
>
> Thanks for replying
>
> What do you mean by seperate routing groups and why would it be
> appropriate?
>
> Would the routing group mean that mails sent to certain recipients get
> routed to the different server automatically rather than by Exchange
> server 1 passing the mail on to Exchange server 2?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dom

0
curspice6401 (3487)

if cell is text move left one column

OWA. CA's. and Exchange 2007

multiple email identities

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Moving Exchange #5

Backing Up Exchange Database

Exchange 2003 IMAP and Postini

What is the technical reason for native mode requirement of the domain?
.... what is the technical reason, why CRM can only be installed in a domain in native mode? Regards, Thomas Hello, It's for supporting group nesting which is used in MS CRM. IMO and as far as I know, it is the only reason for the native AD requirement. HTH. Nicolas >-----Original Message----- >.... what is the technical reason, why CRM can only be installed in a domain >in native mode? > >Regards, >Thomas > > >. > Nicolas Hognon wrote: [...] > It's for supporting group nesting which is used in MS CRM. > > IMO and as far as I know, it i...

Troubleshooting Exchange
I'm just wanting to write some 'proof of concept' scripts relating to Exchange that would help in troubleshooting any issues. Like the Exchange connections/second, etc. Are there any other qualitative data that can be used in general troubleshooting? Marco ...

Creating Exchange 2003 organization

Opening Multiple Web Links in a Column

Refreshing list boxes
Hi, I have created a database so that mulpile users can add detailss to the table - tblDetails from the form frmDetails or amend details in form frmAmend. I have a list box on the main page frmMain which has a list box lstSearch which shows all the records in the database. When users add new record to the database other users cannot see the added records unless the move to another section in the datbase and the return to the main page thus refreshing the list box. Can anyone tell me if there is a way I can put a "Refresh" button on the main page that updated the list box if the use...

Outlook, Palm Pilot, and Exchange Server
I'm using Outlook with an Exchange Server (2000 Small Business). I installed the software for the Palm Pilot and now it prompts with a dialog box for the user to chose the following when they reply, forward or reply to all on an e-mail message. A Program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? If this is unexpected, it may be a virus and you should choose "No". Allow access for (if you check the box) it gives 1, 2, 5 and 10 minutes. If you say no it lets you reply, forward, and reply to all. This is a nuisance more than ...

Migrating Exchange servers
We are in the process of migrating to a new exchange server. The issue we are having is transfering the user's outlook (xp, 2k) address book/contact list to the new server without manually having to log into everyone's computer and pointing their address books to the new server. Is there a way to do this authomatically server-side? You're moving the mailboxes, right? The user's "address book" is the Contacts folder in the mailbox. So, there's nothing extra to move. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for ...

multiple iterations of same query
Running Access 2003 on Vista. I have a query that chooses 15 records at random. This works fine. What I want to do is run the same query for approx 110 different users, each with their own randomly selected 15 records. Obviously, I want to avoid manually running the same query that many times. How can I get around this? Post your query SQL. -- Build a little, test a little. "Nathan" wrote: > Running Access 2003 on Vista. > > I have a query that chooses 15 records at random. This works fine. > > What I want to do is run the same query fo...