Msg Quotas still allow space usage

We have an Exch 2003 server.  Msg attachment sizes are limited to 5MB.  Users 
(true stories) still attempt to attach 100MB files.  Repeated instruction and 
training doesn't work.  So msg w/100MB attached is kicked back as 
non-deliverable by Exch.  But 100MB attachment is still attached to msg in 
users Sent Items folder.  Why?  Exchange should kill the entire msg.  Is 
there a setting to do this?  How can we sweep the Exch DB/server for msgs 
>5MB and remove them, then defrag?  TIA - Brandon
0
BMS (3)
4/27/2006 1:46:02 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

3 Replies
466 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

You need to set message size limit on mailboxes - this way messages will 
not be send (and saved to Sent Items).
I also would suggest setting storage size limits on mailboxes and 
letting users manage their data.

BMS wrote:
> We have an Exch 2003 server.  Msg attachment sizes are limited to 5MB.  Users 
> (true stories) still attempt to attach 100MB files.  Repeated instruction and 
> training doesn't work.  So msg w/100MB attached is kicked back as 
> non-deliverable by Exch.  But 100MB attachment is still attached to msg in 
> users Sent Items folder.  Why?  Exchange should kill the entire msg.  Is 
> there a setting to do this?  How can we sweep the Exch DB/server for msgs 
> 5MB and remove them, then defrag?  TIA - Brandon
-- 

Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control, 
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
4/27/2006 1:55:48 PM
This prevents the msg from being sent, but DOESN'T prevent the msg with the 
oversized attachment from being saved to the SENT ITEMS folder.  This defeats 
the purpose of prohibiting the oversized attachments.  I can set the rules 
all day long for prevention, but if the Exch server still saves the 
prohibited msg in that users SENT ITEMS folder, it is still utilizing space 
against the information store.  It is only doing half the job it is supposed 
to.  The server should be removing msgs/attachments when they fail to meet 
criteria.  

I understand that from a user perspective, if I type a lengthy email, attach 
an oversized file and send, that if the Exch server deletes it due to being 
in violation of the size, I will have to retype and potentially repeat this 
process until I get a clue.  The Exch server (in my opinion) should be smart 
enough to CHECK THE QUOTA RULE when the user clicks SEND and if it is in 
violation, it would return a dialog box stating "YOUR ATTACHMENT IS ABOUT TO 
BE DELETED BECAUSE IT IS OVER QUOTA.  PLEASE REMOVE ATTACHMENT BEFORE SENDING 
AND/OR ATTACH A FILE NO BIGGER THAN %FILESIZEALLOWED%"  before actually 
sending the msg.  The system limits are reactive, not proactive in this case.
With the army of engineers Microsoft has, I find it hard to believe I am the 
only one who has ever thought of this.

I have too many users who just aren't savvy enough to understand file sizes 
when it pertains to email.  They want to send graphic images and other 
document files that are >15MB in size ranging all the way to 100+ MB.  I 
can't let ignorance take down my corporate mail server due to undeliverables 
being saved and wasting space.

With that said, I need to find a way to sweep the Exch server for all the 
FAILED "SYSTEM UNDELIVERABLES" that have files >xMB and delete them.  Do you 
know of a way to do this?  Thanks!

"Kirill Palagin" wrote:

> You need to set message size limit on mailboxes - this way messages will 
> not be send (and saved to Sent Items).
> I also would suggest setting storage size limits on mailboxes and 
> letting users manage their data.
> 
> BMS wrote:
> > We have an Exch 2003 server.  Msg attachment sizes are limited to 5MB.  Users 
> > (true stories) still attempt to attach 100MB files.  Repeated instruction and 
> > training doesn't work.  So msg w/100MB attached is kicked back as 
> > non-deliverable by Exch.  But 100MB attachment is still attached to msg in 
> > users Sent Items folder.  Why?  Exchange should kill the entire msg.  Is 
> > there a setting to do this?  How can we sweep the Exch DB/server for msgs 
> > 5MB and remove them, then defrag?  TIA - Brandon
> -- 
> 
> Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.
> 
> Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
> Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
> Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control, 
> triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
> http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
> 
0
BMS (3)
4/27/2006 3:11:02 PM
BMS wrote:
> This prevents the msg from being sent, but DOESN'T prevent the msg with the 
> oversized attachment from being saved to the SENT ITEMS folder.  This defeats 
> the purpose of prohibiting the oversized attachments.  I can set the rules 
> all day long for prevention, but if the Exch server still saves the 
> prohibited msg in that users SENT ITEMS folder, it is still utilizing space 
> against the information store.  It is only doing half the job it is supposed 
> to.  The server should be removing msgs/attachments when they fail to meet 
> criteria.  
>
> I understand that from a user perspective, if I type a lengthy email, attach 
> an oversized file and send, that if the Exch server deletes it due to being 
> in violation of the size, I will have to retype and potentially repeat this 
> process until I get a clue.  The Exch server (in my opinion) should be smart 
> enough to CHECK THE QUOTA RULE when the user clicks SEND and if it is in 
> violation, it would return a dialog box stating "YOUR ATTACHMENT IS ABOUT TO 
> BE DELETED BECAUSE IT IS OVER QUOTA.  PLEASE REMOVE ATTACHMENT BEFORE SENDING 
> AND/OR ATTACH A FILE NO BIGGER THAN %FILESIZEALLOWED%"  before actually 
> sending the msg.  The system limits are reactive, not proactive in this case.
> With the army of engineers Microsoft has, I find it hard to believe I am the 
> only one who has ever thought of this.
>   
OK, wonders of Cached Mode. Apply Exchange SP2 on the server and Office 
SP2 on clients. For more info see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894795/en-us
> I have too many users who just aren't savvy enough to understand file sizes 
> when it pertains to email.  They want to send graphic images and other 
> document files that are >15MB in size ranging all the way to 100+ MB.  I 
> can't let ignorance take down my corporate mail server due to undeliverables 
> being saved and wasting space.
>
> With that said, I need to find a way to sweep the Exch server for all the 
> FAILED "SYSTEM UNDELIVERABLES" that have files >xMB and delete them.  Do you 
> know of a way to do this?  Thanks!
>   
Not exactly.
See if EXMERGE and Mailbox Manager can help you.
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=730&query=exmerge+subject&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&mode=a&x=7&y=5
> "Kirill Palagin" wrote:
>
>   
>> You need to set message size limit on mailboxes - this way messages will 
>> not be send (and saved to Sent Items).
>> I also would suggest setting storage size limits on mailboxes and 
>> letting users manage their data.
>>
>> BMS wrote:
>>     
>>> We have an Exch 2003 server.  Msg attachment sizes are limited to 5MB.  Users 
>>> (true stories) still attempt to attach 100MB files.  Repeated instruction and 
>>> training doesn't work.  So msg w/100MB attached is kicked back as 
>>> non-deliverable by Exch.  But 100MB attachment is still attached to msg in 
>>> users Sent Items folder.  Why?  Exchange should kill the entire msg.  Is 
>>> there a setting to do this?  How can we sweep the Exch DB/server for msgs 
>>> 5MB and remove them, then defrag?  TIA - Brandon
>>>       
-- 
Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control, 
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
4/27/2006 4:43:54 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Item not allowed to be entered into Sales Transaction
Order Entry attempted to enter an ITEM that has been used on a regular basis and suddenly they are getting the message: "Sales are not allowed in this unit of measure".... The item card is entered correctly (UofM = EACH).... the item card is filled out correctly...This item is used in Bill of Materials as well. WHAT can be done to correct this? Pam, In the Price List window click the Options button and make sure the Selling Option is not listed as Not Available. We had the same error, changed it to Whole and were good to go. Jake "Pam" wrote: > Order Entry...

UDP traffic in private IP space on the public adapter
Our Exchange server 2003 cluster has been working fine over that last year, but recently our network analyst has noticed that the Exchange server is routing private IP space out of the public interface (our packet shaper picked it up). The cluster heart beat is on a 10.10.10.0/24 private subnet but we are seeing UDP traffic on the public interface in the 192.168.0.0/16 and the 10.0.0.0/8 subnets. The destination UDP ports include 1158, 2244, and 1372. is everything on the same switch? Vlans?? priority set correctly? Anyway the best practice is put your heart beat with Cross over cable ...

Space in HardDisk
Hi!!! I need a script that monitors the hard drives of servers and when you reach a minimum space constraints, I send an email warning. How can I do?, Exists already implemented? THANKS "MiguelA" <ma.camaleon@NOSPAMgmail.com> said this in news item news:84B02BEC-D648-4050-A796-7599E263880E@microsoft.com... > Hi!!! > > I need a script that monitors the hard drives of servers and when you > reach a minimum space constraints, I send an email warning. > How can I do?, Exists already implemented? > > THANKS > You could use this ...

Items have been received but inventory detail still shows "on orde
I know that there has been a post on this in the past, but I can't dredge it up. I have a dozen or so items that have no associated purchase order, yet their inventory status shows up as "on order". How can I correct this? Thanks! This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0666_01C7AECF.F95837C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MMS, Try this; http://tinyurl.com/hftcu Must have access to CustomerSource --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=...

High memory usage
Hi Group I'm having a problem with a Dell Inspiron 1500 laptop with Vista home basic. .. It has only 1 gig of Memory. Memory use runs about 850-900 all the time with no programs open. I've trimmed "services" and unchecked all but vital stuff in system configuration. Task manager-processes shows just the very basic stuff running. I'm at a loss to understand what this machine is doing with 90% if it's ram with little or nothing running. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bob Hansen "Bob Hansen" <bvb@cox.net> wrote in message news:Juvrn.2199...

AfxMessageBox still not working.
Hi Guys I followed your instructions and made m_pMainWnd = NULL; but still its not showing the AfxMessageBox. I have to post full code here. ============================================================================= dialogbox represents as follows title: v2 textbox list box with 4 items OK button Cancel Button. ============================================================================ // v2.h : main header file for the V2 application // #if !defined(AFX_V2_H__01C1FE79_BC51_49E1_861D_12EEB824AA7B__INCLUDED_) #define AFX_V2_H__01C1FE79_BC51_49E1_861D_12EEB824AA7B__INCLUDED_ #if _MSC_VER...

CListCtrl
Hi, Whenever the number of items in the list control goes beyond the control height, the vertical scroll bar appears. But along with it, horizontal scroll bar also shows up. Is there a simple way to never allow horizontal scroll bar to appear. I tried couple of options: a. ShowScrollBar(hwnd1, false); b. Style &= ~WS_HSCROLL; But none worked. Any idea... -PJ "pj" <praneshrj@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1177352654.449928.262000@b58g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Whenever the number of items in the list control goes beyond the > control height, t...

Email account still exist after deleting it.
I deleted several accounts in Exchange 2003 and made sure it has been replicated to all three DCs. For some reason the email account still exist. I look at the Active directory users and computers but could not find any references to the name. I am not sure why the email still goes to the person even though delete the account and email. Is there a way for me to make sure the account and email is permanently deleted? I ran the cleanup agent on exchange and that did not help. Any help would be appreciative. what do you mean "email still goes to the person"? how can it? d...

Quota Message Service RCP Error
I installed Quota Message Service for customizing quota error messages. I have two problems: 1) When I try to start it from ESM I get a "RCP Error ocurred". I didn't find any errors in the Event Viewer. 2) In the instructions it's not clear how to customize the messages. This is what I've done: - I import the .pst using Outlook - I see now a "QuotaMessages" folder containing 1033 - The 1033 has a 3 files with 3 attachments. I can modify two attachments, but the third one is read-only (mail named ExText) Do I have to modify...

a Test.xls will not allow rename
Using Office XP. Original workbook name was Inventory.xls. I copied and pasted all information into a new workbook called Test.xls. Keep in mind it has macros in it (if it makes a difference). Both workbooks resided on one computer. I tried to delete test.xls, and when trying to save changes to the Inventory.xls (original) it will not save, and says it is looking for test.xls. I restored test.xls, and inventory.xls works correctly. So, I took the Inventory.xls, and pasted it into the test.xls. Deleted the Inventory.xls. I can use the Test.xls as if it were the original, but test.xls ...

Connection Filtering Allow IPs and Exchange 2003 SP2
We've recently upgraded our servers to Exchange 2003 SP2 and ever since the connection filtering's allow IP list seems to disregard the fact that we have our entire internal network in the connection filtering allow IP list. Messages still get stamped with SCL levels from other internal non-exchange smtp servers, such as web servers that send messages to employees. We can't use authenticated sessions from these servers as they sometimes have to appear from different users. The interesting thing is that when we send something from our external network, the allow ip list holds true ...

Space Available Error??
Ok, I deleted Journals and Customers. I ran the ShrinkDatabase script and reindexed. Here's what Properties displays: Size: 110 Mb Space Available: 20.43 Mb Usage: 81% What the heck?!? How is that even possible? that's OK.. It's normal to have 10-20% of the database size empty.. Your overall database size is only 110Mb. You have 3.89 Gig to go before SQL 2005 express caps-out. "pooch" <pooch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AA29FE6-24C1-4CB8-904B-9885B1051F90@microsoft.com... > Ok, I deleted Journals and Customers. I ran the ShrinkDa...

rebased appointments still ahead by one hour
In an effort to head off any problems with this date change I followed microsoft's recomendations and patched my XP machines, Win2003 servers and the Exchange 2003 server. I was having problems with the grantmailboxpermissions script so in an effort to get our high profile users patched I manually gave myself permissions to all of the executive mailboxes and ran TZMove.exe against them to update them. Come March 11th the ONLY users in my enterprise complaining that their appointments are ahead by one hour ARE THE EXECUTIVES I MANUALLY PATCHED. How did that happen? Further, when I r...

AA min/max character settings and not allow special characters
In the AA Transaction Dimension setup, there needs to be a setting for min/max characters and it should also not allow special characters by default. What has happend to my client on more than one occassion is that a user adds a new trx dim code with either a special character, a space or an extra digit - this breaks the link to GL accounts between FRx and GL. Since the setup wizard for FRx/AA requires you setup up a maximum number of characters for each trx dim - GP should require the same - plus allow a minimum restriction as well so the company can establish a consistant coding sc...

Visio 2003: Space shape could not be Auto Sized!!!
Hi There, I am using Visio 2003 with SP2. Following action returns error message every time on Visio 2003.. Please try it: 1- Open Visio 2003 and select "Building Plan" 2- Select "Home Plan" or "Floor Plan" from right pane. 3- Drag and Drop "Room" layout from Shapes on the left pane to the blank page. (Would be good, expanding room shape a little bit.) 4- Drag and Drop "Space" shape on the Room shape that you've already insterted. 5- Finally right click on "Space" shape and select "Auto Size". Bingo! You may see s...

I get 'relaying denied.authentication required' msg
i am not able to send emails. i get a reply saying relaying denied. authentication required'! See if this helps: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA011128331033.aspx Troubleshoot 550, 553, and relay-prohibited errors Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com "nadeem" <nadeem@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:825D74AC-A34E-45E2-81C...

Space between paragraphs
Those automated spaces between paragraphs are annoying. It was better the way it used to be in office 2003, you press enter and you get to the next line. Another enter, and another line. I don't like those 1,15 lines of space or something like that and I haven't been able to change the Normal template. It should by default with a single spacing between lines. I have always problems writing a header in a letter and signature because of that. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote...

How do you automatically put spaces between rows in a lengthly w.
I have a lengthly work sheet and I want to put spaces between every row--how do I do that? Automatically usually involves VBA coding. Do you really need the inserted rows? Perhaps you could just change the height of the rows to look double-spaced? Here is a macro to do the row inserting. Sub InsertALTrows() 'David McRitchie, misc 2001-06-30 Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual 'pre XL97 xlManual Dim i As Integer For i = Selection(Selection.Count).Row To Selection(1).Row + 1 Step -1 Rows(i).EntireRow.Inse...

not enough quota
I am running Excel 2000 on Windows 2000. I have created a small spreadsheet (25.5 kb)with several hyperlinks. When I try to save it to the network share I get a message that tells me there is "not enough quota to process the command" What does that mean? I was able to save the document to a floppy disk. Thanks. Hi, Mike. Sounds to me like a system message rather anything to do with Excel. Perhaps check with your systems manager to determine if you have enough "quota" (usually disk space) left to save this file. jeff >-----Original Message----- >I am runni...

Linked Workbooks
Cat Nov 10, 9:48 am show options Newsgroups: microsoft.public.excel.programming From: "Cat" <cborcha...@charter.net> - Find messages by this author Date: 10 Nov 2005 07:48:00 -0800 Subject: Linked Workbooks - How to Allow for Growth in source books? Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse I have several workbooks that I have linked together into one. I would like to be able to show them in the destination workbook in a long list, without space left in between each subset of data. The issue is, when I add a new row in t...

553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) #2
I keep having this message when I send emails. The pop and smtp are different. Thank for your help 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) Are you set up to authenticate to your SMTP server, if your ISP requires it? isaac wrote: > I keep having this message when I send emails. The pop and > smtp are different. > Thank for your help > 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed > rcpthosts (#5.7.1) ...

Space available: different result between Property and JDiskReport
I have just checked my available space in C: Property shows I am occupying 90.6 GB (and oddly it "steals" some GB while Vista is running and my hard disk seems to fill up by itself. JDiskReport shows I am using only 85.8 GB and it provides a detailed list of my files. Who is it right? ...

No date entered still pulls a reult '1' through??
In Excel 2007 i am using the formula =MONTH(P145) all the way down the column, which if there is not date entry in columns that are not yet in use the formula still pulls through a '1' which is mucking up all the corrisponding information that is pulled for the month of Jan. Can anyone advise me as to what i can do to get no result pulling through if there is not a date entered into column P? Thanks. -- Jim When the MONTH function refers to a blank cell, it treats its value as 0. Date 0 (zero) translates to: Saturday, January 00, 1900 (it makes little sense, but t...

Re: If auto fill is not allowed, then how do i go about doing it?
The whole question is actually like this: Create a worksheet that gives in column B a list of all of the 4 digit years that are palindromes, beginning with 1001 in B6 and extending on down in ascending order. You may use other columns as well but the final answer for the row must be in coulmn B. Furthermore,all rows below row 7 must be the result of filling the cells in row 7 down the worksheet. You may not use Auto Fill. try entering the following formula in B7: =if(mid(b6,2,1)="9",11,110)+b6 Hope that helps. - sludge "cloud" wrote: > The whole question is actu...

How can I increase the number of characters allowed in a cell?
After 255 characters (text) in a cell in Excel 97, the cell only displays a row of ####. If I double click the cell the text will appear but as soon as I move to another cell the pound symbols are displayed. I can't print the sheet with the text showing. Doesn't matter how I resize the cell. The Excel book says 255 characters are the max allowed per cell. Can this limitation be changed? for numbers: If you right click on the cell and choose format- select the number tab and then number, and then select the number of trailing decimals you prefer. If the cell width is not wide enoug...