Moving Servers Across Administrative Groups...

Here's the quick scenario...

Exchange 5.5 original site.

Exchange 2000 (non-cluster) brought up as first Exchange
2000 server in 5.5 site. (not doing anything)

Exchange 2000 cluster brought up.

Exchange site name is XXXNTDOMAIN which, in ESM shows up
as the name of the First Administrative Group.

This doesn't match the logical environment going forward
so I was curious if it was possible to do:

1.  Rename the XXXNTDOMAIN administrative group to
something else?

2.  Create a second administrative group and bring up a
2003 cluster at some point in the near future and migrate
mailboxes from the 2000 to 2003 across Administrative
groups?

I'm guessing based on a few things I've read that I can do
#2 provided that Exchange is in Native mode?

Thanks in advance!
0
anonymous (74722)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 11:32:22 -0700, "Ken"

>Here's the quick scenario...
>
>Exchange 5.5 original site.
>
>Exchange 2000 (non-cluster) brought up as first Exchange
>2000 server in 5.5 site. (not doing anything)
>
>Exchange 2000 cluster brought up.
>
>Exchange site name is XXXNTDOMAIN which, in ESM shows up
>as the name of the First Administrative Group.
>
>This doesn't match the logical environment going forward
>so I was curious if it was possible to do:
>
>1.  Rename the XXXNTDOMAIN administrative group to
>something else?

Sure, but you cant move servers across administrative groups.

>2.  Create a second administrative group and bring up a
>2003 cluster at some point in the near future and migrate
>mailboxes from the 2000 to 2003 across Administrative
>groups?

If you want to, yes.

>I'm guessing based on a few things I've read that I can do
>#2 provided that Exchange is in Native mode?
>
>Thanks in advance!

0
adavid (8731)

Charting a straight line across a bar chart
Hi all, I have a bar gragh with a range of values: Location1 100 Location2 90 Location3 150 Location4 70 Location5 110 The cut off value that we want to appear as a line is, say 95. I want a line drawn straight acroos at 95. That way we can see the ones that fall below and those above the line. Any ideas ? Hi have a look at http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzSeries.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLineHorzErrBar.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany bomber wrote: > Hi all, >...

Sorting and Grouping Problems in Outlook 2003
First, let me say that I'm incredibly confused by the new methodology that Microsoft has implemented in Outlook 2003 to handle sorting, grouping, views, etc. I wish they would have left it the way it was in Outlook 2002, as it was relatively simple and easy to understand, as well as easy to accomplish what you wanted. From what I can understand, these new sorting and grouping methods, called Arrangements, seem to control alot of how sorting and grouping is done. However, at times, I like to be able to sort and group independently of each other, which it seems very hard to do. The way my...

Outlook 2007 \ Contacts
I've been using Outlook for many years. Just now I 'removed' several members from a Group Contact but _did not_ save the changes when closing the Group Contact. If I reopen the Group Contact I see the changes that I made (but did not save). I am prompted to Save or Cancel the 'changes' yet again and again I Cancel. The only way to view the Group Contact without those changes is to open yet another Contact and then go back to the Group Contact in question. I now see the unchanged (and original) Group Contact. What am I not understanding here? Also, i...

Exchange server 2003 SP1 #2
Exchange server 2003 standard edition running on 2000 server SP4 has just had SP1 applied. Since then, the following has been noticed. The speed of email sending and receiving has deteriorated to the point that people are questioning whether email was sent. Takes about 1 hour for a single email to arrive from someone with an account on this server. There are 7 full backups configured through the native backup program and the first one that ocurred after SP1 was installed shows up at about 17MB. The database is 10.5 GB...obviously a problem here. A manual backup fails due to parts of ...

emailed distribution group but sits in my outbox won't send
I have set up a distribution group. When I send to a group it just sits in my outbox and won't send. It also holds up all mail after it. I never had this problem with Outlook 2002. What do I do? Try with a different distrubtion list with few contacts in them . If that works then the distrubtion list is corrupted. "rcross" <rcross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14ACBC0B-9E3C-42EB-8010-1C457ED95A15@microsoft.com... >I have set up a distribution group. When I send to a group it just sits in >my > outbox and won't send. It also holds up all...

group-object formatting question
Hello there, one question on the formatting of the group-object output. Using dir | Get-Acl | ForEach-Object { $_.Access } | Group-Object IdentityReference I get a table with Count, Name and Group. Count Name Group ----- ---- ----- 9 predefines\Administr... {System.. 9 grpTP-FILES-IT-RW {System.Secur How can I access just the Name field of this output? Thanks very much, Uwe R2V0IHRoZSBwcm9wZXJ0eSB2YWx1ZSBmcm9tIGVhY2ggW01pY3Jvc29mdC5Qb3dlclNoZWxsLkNv bW1hbmRzLkdyb3VwSW5mb10NCg0KZGlyIHwgR2V0LU...

ADUC Filter by Home Server
I'm trying to setup and use an ADUC Filter so ADUC only shows users whose Exchange Home Server attribute starts with our Exchange 5.5 server name. I set it but it doesn't work! Insteead of only showing the 5.5 users, everything is filtered out. The filter is (under filters->create custom filter): Condition List: "Exchange Home Server" Starts with "companyEX" Should this work? Or do I need more in the condition list. Any clues? this would be useful for migrations, so we know who is migrated to 2003 already. jerry. Solved my own greif again. Needed ful...

Need advice on moving mailboxes in the same org but different site
What are different options for moving mailboxes in the same org but different sites? Is it exmerge out to a .pst file, note permissions and group memberships, delete the mailbox from old site, create new mailbox in new site, then import? Thanks itrcb4 yes, if you mean Exchange 5.5, 2000, or 2003, pre SP1...Exchange 2003, SP1, allows you to move mailboxes between administrative groups... "Itrcb4" <Itrcb4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:41AA66DD-EDA0-432B-ACE0-831E78D9B53D@microsoft.com... > What are different options for moving mailboxes in the same ...

Writing from SQL Server to a UNC path
Is it possible to write a file from SQL server to a UNC path. I am working with a dba to change a process. Currently the DBA creates a file with SQL on the server running SQL Server and writes the file to a local directory on the server. I then have a scheduled task that moves the file to a file share on another server. I was wondering if it is possible to have the file written directly to the server using a UNC path eliminating the need for the scheduled task. Thanks Yes, you can. Make sure SQL Server is running under a domain account and that the account has read/write privi...

Move to next message on delete not working in preview
How do I get Outlook 2003 to move to the next item in preview mode. It works on my Work system Outlook 2000. The only difference I know is that we use Exchange at work and an IMAP server at home. Is there a setting I have in OL 2003 or is this a server issue. Thanks, Ian It is an account type issue. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Ian Stewart ask...

Application.FileSearch on Server 2008 R2
I am using VBA (in an MS Access 2003 app) to use Application.FileSearch to locate a user's Acrobat Reader executable. I have developed this and tested on a Win 7 x64 machine, and it works perfectly. However when I test it on a Windows 2008 R2 system I get a very odd behavior. In the code, I use environment variables to find the location of Program Files, and build a string for the .LookIn property of the Application.FileSearh.NewSearch object. Here is the code: Public Function FindAcrobatReader() As String On Error GoTo Err_FindAcrobatReader ' Comments : ' P...

Configuring Outlook Client for a Windows 2003 Email Server
It seemed fairly simple, but I cant login succesfully from my first two created mailboxes..... Im using an active directory integrated role, and I am testing it with some already existing account by only creating the mailboxes. Am I doing something wrong??? when I try to log in, it fails, tells me my username password or email are wrong, but they arent.... Is there permissions im missing?? or something else any help would be greatly appreciated..... ...

Any issues with Exchange Server in BDC after migration?
Hi I want to migrate NT4 domain to AD2003 domain. Using ADMT 2.0, I should be able migrate user and computer accounts easily. However, my main concern is our Exchange Server 5.5, which is acting as part of a larger Exchange Organization. I am unable to use Exchange Directory Migration Wizard in ADMT 2.0, as it kept telling me my credentials are wrong or no permission, even though I entered an account with Permission Rights. The Exchange mailboxes are still authenticated against the NT4 domain. However, I migrated a test user and machine account account. I could still access the mailbox ...

setup of mutiple domains on 1 exchange server
Ok, I have a question. Can I setup a single exchange 2000 server to send mail for a couple of domains? I have it setup to receive mail from these domains with a recipient policy and that works fine but I don't know if I need to setup another information stroe or virtual SMTP server so we can send mail out using these domains. See below for example Main company: maincompany.co Affilliate: affilliatecompany.co Our mail goes out as john@mailcompany.com and can come in as john@mailcompany.com or john@affilliatecompany.com. How do I set exchange up to send out as john@affilliate.com Thank you...

can an administrator of exchange view or store emails?
in my business I get several complaints about upper management ranging from small stuff to lawyer related items. can the administrator view or store my confidential email???? On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 17:19:22 -0700, josef <user@msgroups.net/> wrote: >in my business I get several complaints about upper management ranging from small stuff to lawyer related items. can the administrator view or store my confidential email???? Define "confidential". They can assign themself "full mailbox access" on your mailbox and read, delete, or modify messages but they can't ...

Problems moving Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control on MFC dialog
I've got an MFC CDialog class that displays and manages a dialog. There are several controls on the dialog (combo boxes, edit boxes, static text boxes, etc.). Included in the mix are four Microsoft date and time picker controls. The dialog is used in three separate instances. Not all of the controls are relevant in all three instances so we hide the controls that aren't relevant in each instance, move the controls around on the screen, and resize the dialog to eliminate dead areas on the dialog. We are getting the CWnd for each control and using the SetWindowPos method for each control...

Rename Exchange Server #4
Is there anyway I can rename my Exchange server without affecting it? How should I do this or what is the alternative? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q155269 - got it. "AMP" <amp@msn.com> wrote in message news:eRrKwZRfGHA.3488@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there anyway I can rename my Exchange server without affecting it? How > should I do this or what is the alternative? > Don't do it! It will make you cry. "AMP" <amp@msn.com> wrote in message news:eRrKwZRfGHA.3488@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there anyw...

Query SQL Server from Excel
I'm wondering how best to achieve this -- I have an INSERT INTO statement which exports data from my Excel worksheet to SQL Server, but I'm not sure how I can query/retrieve this data from SQL Server, and have it populate the EXACT cell from which it originated. For example -- --- On one worksheet, I enter data (or select an item data from a drop-down menu) --- then on another worksheet, I present the data in cells based on conditional =IF formulas [=IF('Products'!G14="No Account","Sample Customer",'Products'!G14)], and perform some calculati...

LDAP server not responding after 03 upgrade
Upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. HP printers with Jetdirect no longer can find an LDAP server. Thoughts anyone? LDAP searches work in Active Directory users and computers, cannot find addresses from printer. Worked in 5.5, only change is migrate to Exchange 2003. I am not sure but I think M$ changed the LDAP port. Try to google for that... "EGropp" <EGropp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A99BAC-4114-48BA-B407-A57345668709@microsoft.com... > Upgraded from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. > HP printers with Jetdirect no longer can find an...

remote exchange server #2
How can i do to connect my server e2k3 to a remote e2k3 in other administrative group in my first organization?! There is a standard method or there are more?! There is a good document who explain this?! thanks ...

Hardware Req for CRM *SQL Server* Repost
We are having issues with our SQL Server and CRM. CRM Server is on another box - SQL Server is on dual PIII 700 box w/2G ram.... We are getting "security descriptors cannot be updated" when updating roles and while using Workflow to email 100 emails for newly created leads we get "deadlock" and/or "Lock:Timeout" issues. Is anyone else getting the same errors and may I ask a role call on what everyone's SQL Server hardware is like? MS says we have a hardware issue and we want to make sure before we buy another server. THANKS! Kristina We have CRM install...

Problem with Group By & Max Rcd
Hi, This is the second post concerning this topic. The first post game me the direction to go in, but now that I’m in the details I have a couple of problems. I have a membership table that is keyed by an automatically assigned member number, CustAcctNo. At the end of each calendar year they members must renew their membership for the next year. I have the following tables: tblCustomer - 1 row per customer. Key: CustAcctNo tblRenew – 1 row per customer and calendar year Key: RenewalID Automatically assigned number Fields: CustAcctNo ...

Ldap server name
We have no problem setting up our PCs to work with Exchange 2003 (of course) but our macs are a little more challenging. I can not figure out what the ldap server is for our exchange server. I have tried every configuration I know of. You can see the GAL if you are in our main office, but if entourage configures it automatically, the ldap server is just hpg. No one outside of the office can see the GAL. Any help would be great! Thanks, Kerry The LDAP server will be any GC server in your AD environment. Can external users access AD? If not that is the problem. Nue Kerry Murphy wrote: &g...

Exchange Server 2000 Version
Good article about Exchange 2000 version: http://blogs.msdn.com/evand/archive/2005/01/05/347023.aspx When I check my version from Exchange System Manager I am at 6249.4 but when I look in the BIN folder my versions are all over the place. 5.0.XX, 5.5.XX, 6.0.249.1, 6.0.6249.4, 6.0.6556.5, etc. Should I have all of these different versions? What version am I actually at? Thanks, bshort1023 On 19 Sep 2005 09:38:55 -0700, bshort1023@yahoo.com wrote: >Good article about Exchange 2000 version: > >http://blogs.msdn.com/evand/archive/2005/01/05/347023.aspx > >When I check my v...

Can not modify Excel on Server share ONLY LOCAL